Do you know your body fat percentage?

Options

Replies

• etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Did the Bodpod thingy twice within 6 weeks. Different. I'd use the mirror. :)
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Mine is 41% and I am only a few pounds overweight so that is scary. My PT measured it with a machine.

I need to reduce it.
  • davidpearly
    davidpearly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am at 35% so no, I have lots to lose
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've just checked mine and it comes out at 23%.
    I'd like this to be 5% lower but I got myself a little confused with how much weight I would need to lose to achieve this so I'd really appreciate any help with setting a goal.
    My stats are;

Age; 44
    Sex; Female

Height; 5' 4"
    Weight; 99lb

Chest; 33"
    Waist; 23"
    Hip; 30"
    Wrist; 6"
    Forearm; 9"

What would be my desired weight to achieve 18% BF?

You do not need to lose any more weight. You are dangerously underweight as it is. You need to gain muscle mas to reduce the fat percentage. You need to speak with your practitioner and dietitian evaluate your goals and set a plan.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Well that calculator gets me at 8.4%, surely that's not right? :frown:

From your photo I would say that it is! you need to add muscle not lose weight
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Mine is 18% and I'd stilll like to lose 2 lbs, so I guess I"d like my BF to be about the same as it is now.

My body is disproportionate...I have big thighs for my hips, so I prefer low body fat for myself. I just look better overall.

BTW...I was also 23% BF 2 years ago. I just focused on strength training for 12 months and then dieted to see that nice new muscle.
  • serapi
    Options
    Stone, you're actually ideal with 23%. Here's a chart.
    http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.com/2012/07/ideal-body-fat-for-men-and-women-by-age.html (first one i found by google, not promoting low carb)

Yeah but I'd rather be in the athletic state because I have a very athletic build

You can do it! Small caloric defiicit and maintain your weight program. Don't increase weights for a while; just maintain and focus on more cardio and cut the fat.

I have a deficit of 300 calories a day when I am cutting. I eat 1900 a day when on a diet.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    My scale says I'm at 36.8 =( but the number is going down!
  • serapi
    Options
    I'd like this to be 5% lower but I got myself a little confused with how much weight I would need to lose to achieve this so I'd really appreciate any help with setting a goal.
    My stats are;

Age; 44
    Sex; Female

Height; 5' 4"
    Weight; 99lb

Chest; 33"
    Waist; 23"
    Hip; 30"
    Wrist; 6"
    Forearm; 9"

Actually, according the calculators and charts I look at, you would be considered "underfat" at 18% and unhealthy...23% for a female of your age is at the lowest for healthy range.

Not true.. depends on woman. Some women lose their period at 19% body fat. Some women can be healthy and regular at 17% body fat. You just have to listen to your own body.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    As of last month, I was at 22%... my goal is between 14% and 17%... I'm checking again next Monday.
  • serapi
    Options
    23% for a female of your age is at the lowest for healthy range.

is this actually true? im not being a smartass, im actually asking....\

ETA - i just googled it and saw that it does say that, but "underfat" isnt like "underweight" - it's not a ...

what about -

but!

Not it 's not true
  • ChelseaM18
    Options
    Yep, and it sucks lol. My goal for summer (June) is to be between 20-21% , at my worst it was 31% around September, it's currently 26%. So ******* hard to get rid of!
  • serapi
    Options
    I'm somewhere between 25% and 30%. I've been nearer 20%, but without enough muscle, and I didn't like it. I'm going from a combination of eye-balling and silly scales. The issue I have with the online calculators is that we all distribute BF differently. In my case my belly can be huge while my ribs are starting to show, and from mfp I know that people can have my measurements and weigh 10lb more (and not just heavy lifters either). They'd let me join up based on mine anyway, but they are just based on averages like any calculator, so not so good for really judging BF%.

I think there are two totally different BF% charts that are being quoted here, with different aims. The one with 'athletic', 'essential' etc is from ACE (American Council on Exercise), and the other is meant to be from the WHO (World Health Organisation), though I can't find it on their website. These are both non-profit organisations, but the WHO is looking at BF% from a point of view of, statistically, at what points is the average person's health likely to be adversely affected, while ACE is looking at goal ranges for trainers to use with their clients.

Personally, I think the ACE chart is thoroughly irresponsible. It may make it look like it is ok for a woman to get down to 10%, whereas most women would be seriously unhealthy at that BF% (no periods, lost hair etc) but 'essential' gives no hint of that. I have seen girls on mfp aiming for that definition. Yes, they have problems already, but I don't think this chart helps.

End rant.

Ok, so reading further, some research suggests it is more exercise and nutrition issues that stop periods, however, anecdotal evidence of women losing their period at a certain weight, then regaining them when their weight went back up, suggests to me that exercise and nutrition aren't the whole answer.

//
  • serapi
    Options
    My stats are;

Age; 44
    Sex; Female

Height; 5' 4"
    Weight; 99lb

Chest; 33"
    Waist; 23"
    Hip; 30"
    Wrist; 6"
    Forearm; 9"

You do not need to lose any more weight. You are dangerously underweight as it is. You need to gain muscle mas to reduce the fat percentage. You need to speak with your practitioner and dietitian evaluate your goals and set a plan.

This is simply untrue. I am 18% body fat at age 41..healthy and periods like clockwork.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ick! I just checked mine again. I'm now at 32%!! Which is obese for women. I used to be in the acceptable range (although I can't remember the specific number). Although I'm still losing weight (153 pounds), it just goes to show you what time off from the gym will do to ya! Hopefully I will put a huge dent in that number by summer time!
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm at 23.5%, at 43 years old. (Profile pic was 3 months ago, I've since dropped another size, mainly fat loss.)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    My stats are;

Age; 44
    Sex; Female

Height; 5' 4"
    Weight; 99lb

Chest; 33"
    Waist; 23"
    Hip; 30"
    Wrist; 6"
    Forearm; 9"

This is simply untrue. I am 18% body fat at age 41..healthy and periods like clockwork.

You are seriously suggesting to a woman who is 5'4" and 99lb that she should go ahead and lose more weight? You realize her BMI is 17!??? She is already 11lb underweight.
  • serapi
    Options
    My stats are;

Age; 44
    Sex; Female

Height; 5' 4"
    Weight; 99lb

Chest; 33"
    Waist; 23"
    Hip; 30"
    Wrist; 6"
    Forearm; 9"

You are seriously suggesting to a woman who is 5'4" and 99lb that she should go ahead and lose more weight? You realize her BMI is 17!??? She is already 11lb underweight.

NO NO NO...I'm talking about the OP who is 23% body fat. She can lose fat if she wants to; she is not underweight.

5'4" and 99 lbs is not a healthy weight...I must have misread a post somewhere. I would definitely not recommend losing more weight at 5'4" and 99 lbs.
  • serapi
    Options
    I apologize to everyone on this thread. I posted something inaccurate without realizing it. The lady who is 5'4" and 99lbs is underweight and should not lose anymore weight. I am sorry for this mistake...Monday morning!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    According to the military measurement I'm 28.2% body fat. But I've lost total 140ish lbs and have some loose skin on the stomach (haha among other places) that skew my measurements. I know my boobs are practically gone, lol.