Do you know your body fat percentage?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think I understand my blunder better now. geez!

The woman who is 44, 5'4", 99 lbs and registering at 23% body fat. This is a prime example of "skinny fat". You do not need to lose anymore weight. What you need to do is gain muscle NOW! You are thin with no muscle tone. You need muscle to avoid bone density issues later.

Once you gain some muscle, you will notice your body becoming harder and sexier.

Many women lift heavy here and use a book called "New Rules of Lifting for Women". I think this book would do wonders for you. You would increase your muscle mass and hence, your body fat percentage would go down automatically.

It is not the number on the scale always. I hope this helps.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sadly, yes. It's 30%. I am hoping to get it to 25% or less.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    LOL used 3 online calculators got 14.9%, 24.83% and 30% so much for that then.

Yeah - I just used all the ones over at fat2fitradio.com and then one on nutridiary.com.

The fat2fit "Original" calculator gave me 17.8%.
    The fat2fit "Military" calculator gave me 13.8%.
    The fat2fit "Covert Bailey" calculator gave me 15.2%.
    The nutridiary calculator gave me 13.71%.
    And my scale gave me 20.5%.
    And as I had mentioned previously, according to a couple of different picture estimations, I look like somewhere near 20%.

011413side_zps05c4d3c8.jpg

011413front_zps30e51f73.jpg

edited for size
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    LOL used 3 online calculators got 14.9%, 24.83% and 30% so much for that then.

Yeah - I just used all the ones over at fat2fitradio.com and then one on nutridiary.com.

The fat2fit "Original" calculator gave me 17.8%.
    The fat2fit "Military" calculator gave me 13.8%.
    The fat2fit "Covert Bailey" calculator gave me 15.2%.
    The nutridiary calculator gave me 13.71%.
    And my scale gave me 20.5%.
    And as I had mentioned previously, according to a couple of different picture estimations, I look like somewhere near 20%.

011413side_zps05c4d3c8.jpg

011413front_zps30e51f73.jpg

edited for size

you look about 15% to me.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If your unsure of your BF % using the calculators toake a look at these links for photos of bodys at various BF%s

http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-men.jpg
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Unless you were tested by a dunk tank or DEXA scan (which is almost none of you), your number is almost certainly completely wrong and useless except for long term comparisons. Even calipers are off by a few %. If you used a handheld machine or online calculator, your number is absolutely way off the mark.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    mines in the mid 30 % used to be over 67% eep
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yup...39% right now...but working on getting it down...
  • adamalada
    Options
    a whopping 27% - and it is all in the zone of terror on my waist.

Pretty depressing but 2013 is the year it goes!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Unless you were tested by a dunk tank or DEXA scan (which is almost none of you), your number is almost certainly completely wrong and useless except for long term comparisons. Even calipers are off by a few %. If you used a handheld machine or online calculator, your number is absolutely way off the mark.

Don't know what a DEXA scan is, but I've had a Bod Pod, which is the "dry" version of the dunk tank. The bottom line is that all of these methods are estimates, including dunk tanks and DEXA scans. The only truly accurate way to determine your % of body fat is to boil you down and weight the oil that floats to the top.

I will stick with the estimates. They are perfectly fine for evaluating a given person's progress over time. Not so good for comparing one person to another...but that's not we are here for, right?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I've just checked mine and it comes out at 23%.
    I'd like this to be 5% lower but I got myself a little confused with how much weight I would need to lose to achieve this so I'd really appreciate any help with setting a goal.
    My stats are;

Age; 44
    Sex; Female

Height; 5' 4"
    Weight; 99lb

Chest; 33"
    Waist; 23"
    Hip; 30"
    Wrist; 6"
    Forearm; 9"

What would be my desired weight to achieve 18% BF?

With these stats, the military calculator puts you around 8% BF. There is no way you are anywhere near 23%,
    At 5'4", your LBM is around 90 lbs. 99 total body weight would be 10% at the most.
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Started at 32% but down to 13%...Yes! I have a goal of 10% for the summer but first I think Ill do some bulking.
  • Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    27.1%. My goal is under 25% btwn 21-23%. I have an omron.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. Don't get me wrong... I've had some tests, done some calculations... but I still have no idea.

I had a fitness assessment today and the PT's Omron scale with the hand bits had me at 41.2%. Various measurement-based calculators range from 25% (I call BS) and 36.7% (I think that's probably more accurate, though probably still not actually accurate).

I think I'd like to be between 25% and 30%. Great though low BF% is on other people, I don't have a particularly low goal.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    26.13 if the calculator I used is correct. I definitely want to be under %25 and probably around %20.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    27% approx... Like to get back down to 23-24 %