What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread got really non-elite in a hurry.

I have about a dozen pages to read if I'm going to get completely caught up. In case I don't make it through all of them, could someone who has been here for the duration post a quick synopsis of this thread? Or at least a snapshot of where we currently are, what open questions remain, etc.?

As the kids say, kthxbai.

OP: What has giving up fast food done for you
    Some people: Made me feel better, controlled binges, etc
    Some other people: I didn't give up fast food I eat it as part of a healthy diet
    Poster A: To be elite you have to cut out fast food.
    Some poeple (including me): thats not true plenty of elite athletes eat fast food, including dave tate and michael phelps.
    Poster A: Dave tate is uggo and Michael phelps exercises a lot, so they can eat fast food. Other people have to eat clean to be elite
    Me: Yeah, the exercise bit is why they're elite (exit thread for a while)
    Poster B, C,D,E: Science doesn't support that you have to eat totally clean, a meal here and there as part of a balanced diet is fine
    Poster A: But what if instead of the meal here and there wouldn't they be even healthier if they ate all clean?
    Posters B-E: No
    Poster A: But saturated fat is bad, some misquoted pieces of studies
    Posters B-E: no it isn't
    Poster A: You're gonna die young if you eat too much sodium
    Poster B: No.
    Then I lost track for a while.
    Some names were called.
    Some vegans got pissed.
    Now we're here.

Yeah...and then there was the argument about fast food being real food - that was the most recent.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just looked at a bag of shakeology and I was right. :)

food that comes in a bag = real food

food that comes from a drive thru = imaginary food.

got it, thanks

tumblr_mecffj69Wg1qfw2dno1_400.gif
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

I have about a dozen pages to read if I'm going to get completely caught up. In case I don't make it through all of them, could someone who has been here for the duration post a quick synopsis of this thread? Or at least a snapshot of where we currently are, what open questions remain, etc.?

Some other people: I didn't give up fast food I eat it as part of a healthy diet
    Some poeple (including me): thats not true plenty of elite athletes eat fast food, including dave tate and michael phelps.
    Poster A: Dave tate is uggo and Michael phelps exercises a lot, so they can eat fast food. Other people have to eat clean to be elite
    Poster B, C,D,E: Science doesn't support that you have to eat totally clean, a meal here and there as part of a balanced diet is fine
    Poster A: But what if instead of the meal here and there wouldn't they be even healthier if they ate all clean?
    Some names were called.
    Some vegans got pissed.
    Now we're here.

This is genius.

The only thing I have gotten out of this thread is that I do not ever want to be "elite."
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Some names were called.
    Some vegans got pissed.
    Now we're here.

This is genius.

The only thing I have gotten out of this thread is that I do not ever want to be "elite."

I don't think being elite is necessarily a bad thing. We should all want to be elite in something.

It's having an elitist attitude that is a bad thing. :smile:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I don't think being elite is necessarily a bad thing. We should all want to be elite in something.

Reported. Just so you know.

Nah, just kidding. :wink:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Some names were called.
    Some vegans got pissed.
    Now we're here.

This is genius.

I concur with The Luminous One, this is pure genius. There should be a way to insert this directly after the original post so people can know what to expect if they continue.

Bean, can you do this for season two of Revenge, because I've totally given up on try to figure out wtf is going on there.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Reported. Just so you know.

Nah, just kidding. :wink:

Kidding? Crap... I was trying to rack up on complaints tonight. Guess I'll try harder next time.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Some names were called.
    Some vegans got pissed.
    Now we're here.

This is genius.

I concur with The Luminous One, this is pure genius. There should be a way to insert this directly after the original post so people can know what to expect if they continue.

Bean, can you do this for season two of Revenge, because I've totally given up on try to figure out wtf is going on there.

Emily is pissed, really pissed.
    Her mom came back from the dead and was unable to recognize that some random girl was pretending to be her own child, whilst the actual daughter was also there.
    That's about when it jumped the tracks of me being able suspend disbelief for entertainment and had to give up.

Oh wait, Daniel is supposed to be a believable option as next in line to run a billion dollar company with a board of trustees.
    Someone pushed the pregnant chick off a second floor balcony but everyone came out ok.
    Nathan isn't gay anymore.
    Emily is a ninja, and has a ninja partner.
    Victoria is Hispanic. (not related to the plot but was a shocker when she won an ALMA award)
    And the British chick used to be a hooker.
    That's pretty much all I know. But the mom thing was the straw that overflowed the cup.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    VPH4n.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    If youre done ridiculing and misrepresenting me, I'd like to make one more observation

Let's say I'm wrong, and that eating fast food daily is fine. In the worst case scenario, theres no risk for me because I'm still no LESS healthy, by eating as cleanly as possible, than those of you who argue this, correct?

Now let's say you're wrong, and that eating fast food every day, while fitting into your macros, CAN have an adverse effect over time.All you risk is a plethora of dangerous conditions associated with high cholesterol, sodium and restricted blood vessel function.

I prefer my odds. But obviously, to each his or her own.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Giving up fast food has given me a lot more energy (via eating 'clean'). It's also nearly eliminated all my indigestion, cramping, and diarrhea.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If youre done ridiculing and misrepresenting me, I'd like to make one more observation

Let's say I'm wrong, and that eating fast food daily is fine. In the worst case scenario, theres no risk for me because I'm still no LESS healthy, by eating as cleanly as possible, than those of you who argue this, correct?

Now let's say you're wrong, and that eating fast food every day, while fitting into your macros, CAN have an adverse effect over time.All you risk is a plethora of dangerous conditions associated with high cholesterol, sodium and restricted blood vessel function.

This is actually my rationale for my dietary approach (or at least it was throughout most of 2012...2013 has been a little sketchy so far). You and I just obviously draw our line at a different point on the spectrum.

ETA: And in my opinion, most "unhealthy" diets are more a product of nutrient deficiency than it is consuming "bad" foods. In other words, it's more an issue of what we aren't eating than what we are eating. Our bodies are remarkably adept at handling just about anything we throw at them, but don't always have a workaround for a deficiency. Even when I was eating what I believed to be a near-optimal diet, I was still just barely getting the RDA (or equivalent) of several micronutrients. So in other words, I'll take an otherwise nutrient sufficient diet with some fast food added over a nutrient insufficient diet without any fast food.
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    OP: I haven't given up fast food. I can go to McDonald's and get a side salad and grilled chicken breast for about $3 and I find its around the same caloric count as a sandwich on bread with a bag of chips. I don't use the salad dressing, I use red wine vinegar or FF balsamic homemade dressing. Good for you if you can give it up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I would counter that since I'm not wrong, I would have lived a healthier life because I would have spent less time being scared of food and less time preparing "clean" meals and more time enjoying myself, more time eating socially with family and friends, and more time in a better state of mental health. Enjoying life counts for something, right?

And since your plethora of risks are a complete fantasy, they don't count. We've posted page after page dispelling your myths. Just because you say I'm at risk for them doesn't make it true. Unless you are a wizard.

Are you a wizard? Are you trying to hex me?

magic_zpsae6d74cc.gif
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    This. You can get "healthy" eating fast food. But if you want to be elite, you have to cut it out. It's a personal choice.

beastbeforeafter.jpg

Pardon me for sounding creepy, but you have a great abs! What a difference!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Haven't gave it up. And after 40 years of eating it, I'm sure I would have some health issue come up if it was as bad as some here are touting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP again this past Monday. I have had no fast food or pop. Doing ok about that.
    Honestly, my addiction is Starbucks - that was hard, but saving $!

I have tried all the above in "moderation" before, but seems that once I have it once, it's all downhill for me. That's exactly what happened to me last spring when I was doing so good!

That is what works for me personally.

Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I travel on the road a lot, so I'll never give up fast food entirely. Instead, I have Subway (6 inch wheat/turkey/spinach/lettuce/tomatoes/peppers/mustard), Taco Bell (2 or 3 crunchy beef fresco tacos)or Arbys (a junior roast beef & side salad with light dressing on the side). I can fit several of their choices into my daily diary. I also have water or light lemonade instead of soda.
  • Juashmom
    Options
    I havent' given it up either but have cut way back...It used to be pretty much a daily thing...now maybe once a week...I keep saying I'm not going ot do it anymore but sometimes its just so convienient. I do try to make better choices though when I do it.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

You're right about the sodium. Actually, I was told by my Dr. that I ended up with high blood pressure due to in part by my high sodium diet and heredity. Almost EVERY fast food meal is FULL of sodium, even the ones I still eat. However, I do find it hard to prepare meals while on the road, so I go for the healthiest choices I can find and then eat right when I get to my destination. Moderation and eating less sodium when I can is a choice I make. It is true that you get used to the amount of salt you use so you keep adding it. I've lost 40lbs and went off one medication, but I'm still maxed out on another. If only I could go back, I would have tossed the salt shaker instead of pouring it on everything I ate. It's too late for me, but you guys can change your diet NOW and prevent sodium induced high blood pressure.

I would counter that since I'm not wrong, I would have lived a healthier life because I would have spent less time being scared of food and less time preparing "clean" meals and more time enjoying myself, more time eating socially with family and friends, and more time in a better state of mental health. Enjoying life counts for something, right?

And since your plethora of risks are a complete fantasy, they don't count. We've posted page after page dispelling your myths. Just because you say I'm at risk for them doesn't make it true. Unless you are a wizard.

Are you a wizard? Are you trying to hex me?

magic_zpsae6d74cc.gif