Another Thought About Milk

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Okay, fair enough but let's discuss this here then. Let's drop the animosity at least for a few minutes. Can we at least agree that a diet made of up 80% "quality" foods (or "clean" if you like) and 20% not so "quality" or "clean" is still going to cover your bases and allow you to live a healthy, fit and, for many athletes, competitive life? It seems to be what you're doing and is at least what I strive for.

I usually shoot for 90/10, but yes, I agree with you completely.

Then on IIFYM, we don't seem to have an argument and I also agree with your approach.

As for milk, I think your concerns with milk are based on popular misconceptions. I've certainly had mine and can't fault you. I'm not a scientist though, but there are two participating in this thread and I think its worth listening to what they have to say.

Does that make sense?

the problem - unfortunately - is that I don't really buy into a lot of what the medical establishment has to say about food. for example, the food pyramid is a horribly misguided and outdated method of determining diet - but for some reason it's still widely accepted as fact.

although I'd love to know who the scientists are so I could value those opinions more highly! :)
    You're right it's outdated, that's why they don't use it anymore. They use "my plate" instead.

fair enough. the problem is that both the corn, dairy, and meat industries have the lobbyists and the subsidies that GUARANTEE that theirs is the message that gets out into the public domain. THEY fund scientific studies that support their products so they can tout them and say "such and such" is healthy. Because there's so much money to be made, not all scientific studies can just be accepted without scrutiny. It's unfortunate, but a reality.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Okay, fair enough but let's discuss this here then. Let's drop the animosity at least for a few minutes. Can we at least agree that a diet made of up 80% "quality" foods (or "clean" if you like) and 20% not so "quality" or "clean" is still going to cover your bases and allow you to live a healthy, fit and, for many athletes, competitive life? It seems to be what you're doing and is at least what I strive for.

Then on IIFYM, we don't seem to have an argument and I also agree with your approach.

As for milk, I think your concerns with milk are based on popular misconceptions. I've certainly had mine and can't fault you. I'm not a scientist though, but there are two participating in this thread and I think its worth listening to what they have to say.

Does that make sense?

the problem - unfortunately - is that I don't really buy into a lot of what the medical establishment has to say about food. for example, the food pyramid is a horribly misguided and outdated method of determining diet - but for some reason it's still widely accepted as fact.

although I'd love to know who the scientists are so I could value those opinions more highly! :)
    You're right it's outdated, that's why they don't use it anymore. They use "my plate" instead.

fair enough. the problem is that both the corn, dairy, and meat industries have the lobbyists and the subsidies that GUARANTEE that theirs is the message that gets out into the public domain. THEY fund scientific studies that support their products so they can tout them and say "such and such" is healthy. Because there's so much money to be made, not all scientific studies can just be accepted without scrutiny. It's unfortunate, but a reality.

left turn, directly into tinfoil hat territory. :noway:
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

^^ This - since January 2011.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

^^ This - since January 2011.

the fact that it took them that long should really raise eyebrows
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Does that make sense?

you don't think money plays a role in what studies happen and what studies don't? how do they get funded then? and who foots the bill?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Don't even try to school me.

I've been singing for half my life, and have been behind the scenes of the music industry for at least 6 years.

Aside from opera singers (and even then, Sarah Brightman smokes like a chimney), most professional singers don't do diddly squat besides suck on a lemon before a performance.

You don't even know who you're trying to school. Just stop while you're ahead.

And you don't know who you're trying to school, but I agree let's quit fighting because it's silly.
    So you say "let's quit fighting", but then you send me a PM, tripping over your name drops, just to prove a point? Lolno.

Btw, Peter Cetera is the only lead singer Chicago ever had. At least, the only good one. Too bad he's not your buddy.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

There are some things that are outdated but to throw everything away because of that I think goes too far.

May I suggest you do what I did. That is find the scientists and listen to them. Read the peer reviewed studies carefully and then find additional people that make it their job to review and interpret studies. i've friended both Robync79 and FireFox7275 as they are scientists, so I'm going to listen more closely to what they have to say. SideSteel and Sarauk2sf run a thread on here called "Eat, Train, Progress" where they read and digest information and then try to make it easier to understand. There's also Alan Aaraon and Lyle McDonald who are fitness and nutrition experts and make it their job to keep up with published scientific studies and both have their own websites. There's just too much misinformation out there to cut through by yourself unless it is your career and academic specialty.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Don't even try to school me.

I've been singing for half my life, and have been behind the scenes of the music industry for at least 6 years.

Aside from opera singers (and even then, Sarah Brightman smokes like a chimney), most professional singers don't do diddly squat besides suck on a lemon before a performance.

You don't even know who you're trying to school. Just stop while you're ahead.

And you don't know who you're trying to school, but I agree let's quit fighting because it's silly.
    So you say "let's quit fighting", but then you send me a PM, tripping over your name drops, just to prove a point? Lolno.

Btw, Peter Cetera is the only lead singer Chicago ever had. At least, the only good one. Too bad he's not your buddy.

I took it private because it wasn't worth talking about in a thread about nutrition. We can drop it any time. :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

you don't think money plays a role in what studies happen and what studies don't? how do they get funded then? and who foots the bill?

They are trying to come up with a global diet that even dumb people can get quickly without lots of reading, which is a job in itself. Considering that, I don't think they did terrible. For us smart people, we can figure out there is no globally good or bad food. Congrats you've figured out you don't need to follow a chart. Nowhere does it say you have to to keep healthy. Take off the tinfoil hat and take a bow, bend over and milk that cow.:drinker:
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    (Time out. Let's straighten something out real quick, and then we can all get back to discussing cow milk.)

Almond milk is not really milk. If anything, it's more like almond juice...but even that isn't accurate since it's not actually the juice of an almond. It's water than has been blended with almonds and then the almonds are strained out leaving the water-soluble parts of the almonds behind.

Anyhow, my point is, suggesting almond milk as a substitute for milk is like...it's like suggesting ______ as a substitute for _________.

(...uh, someone help me out here and fill in the blanks.)

All i know is that humans are the only species to make a liquid out of almonds and drink it. Plus we can get all the nutrition of almonds milk from other sources.

Therefore, it is both unnatural and not nutritious.

:laugh:
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

Does that make sense?

what i think is curious is why you think humans only started thinking of these foods as healthy since the advent of the FDA perhaps a hundred or so years ago.

i think what you're implying is that corn, dairy, and meat are NOT healthy despite the fact that humans have been eating these foods for thousands of years and that the only reason we eat them now is because of some conspiracy by the food industry to fund studies (which i guess you feel are probably just propaganda) that "falsely" portray these foods as healthy.

am i misunderstanding your point?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Does that make sense?

There are some things that are outdated but to throw everything away because of that I think goes too far.

May I suggest you do what I did. That is find the scientists and listen to them. Read the peer reviewed studies carefully and then find additional people that make it their job to review and interpret studies. i've friended both Robync79 and FireFox7275 as they are scientists, so I'm going to listen more closely to what they have to say. SideSteel and Sarauk2sf run a thread on here called "Eat, Train, Progress" where they read and digest information and then try to make it easier to understand. There's also Alan Aaraon and Lyle McDonald who have become fitness and nutrition gurus through keeping up with published scientific studies and both have their own websites. There's just too much misinformation out there to cut through by yourself unless it is your career and academic specialty.

you've literally posted all the people who rail against me religiously. haha

i think we simply believe two ideologically opposite things when it comes to health and nutrition. I understand how they have much more credibility than me, but that actually doesn't inherently guarantee that they're correct - it's just more likely. ;)

unfortunately, like I said, I don't think the scientific and medical communities at large have any incentive to do studies on these things that aren't funded by the industries that want the studies - which thus creates a conflict of interest. The government has a huge stake in the dairy, corn and meat industries doing well because they're a driving force in our economy, health be damned.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Does that make sense?

what i think is curious is why you think humans only started thinking of these foods as healthy since the advent of the FDA perhaps a hundred or so years ago.

i think what you're implying is that corn, dairy, and meat are NOT healthy despite the fact that humans have been eating these foods for thousands of years and that the only reason we eat them now is because of some conspiracy by the food industry to fund studies (which i guess you feel are probably just propaganda) that "falsely" portray these foods as healthy.

am i misunderstanding your point?

In the hundred years since 1900, the human population in the US has doubled, while meat consumption has quintupled (five times). Increases in diseases like heart attack, cancer, etc have risen at the same rate.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

You have lobbyists in the US, we don't in the UK and our state registered dieticians still recommend three servings of milk a day. SOME scientific studies are funded by those with a vested interest, some are funded by universities, UK national health service and other funding streams that are not linked to the dairy industry. Of course you should scrutinise the study for any declared links, also check which journal it has been published in, some are more rigorously peer reviewed than others. Meta analyses and longitudinal ppulation studies on dairy do exist, these tend to weed out the badly designed or dubious studies.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

May I suggest you do what I did. That is find the scientists and listen to them. Read the peer reviewed studies carefully and then find additional people that make it their job to review and interpret studies. i've friended both Robync79 and FireFox7275 as they are scientists, so I'm going to listen more closely to what they have to say. SideSteel and Sarauk2sf run a thread on here called "Eat, Train, Progress" where they read and digest information and then try to make it easier to understand. There's also Alan Aaraon and Lyle McDonald who have become fitness and nutrition gurus through keeping up with published scientific studies and both have their own websites. There's just too much misinformation out there to cut through by yourself unless it is your career and academic specialty.

i think we simply believe two ideologically opposite things when it comes to health and nutrition. I understand how they have much more credibility than me, but that actually doesn't inherently guarantee that they're correct - it's just more likely. ;)

unfortunately, like I said, I don't think the scientific and medical communities at large have any incentive to do studies on these things that aren't funded by the industries that want the studies - which thus creates a conflict of interest. The government has a huge stake in the dairy, corn and meat industries doing well because they're a driving force in our economy, health be damned.

Okay, fair point on people railing against you but you've done a bit there to create that issue yourself, no?

So let's move away from that for a few moments. And no I don't think this is ideological. I do agree that industries will hire people to do studies but that doesn't mean that they are the only ones doing any studies. Its why no educated scientist will rely on just one study to prove any proposition. They instead look at numerous studies in detail. And those industries do sometimes interpret studies in a way to cover their claims but again that doesn't necessarily mean that someone else can't look at the same study and say, "wait, this doesn't prove what you say it proves". Interpretation of studies is a lot of what you will see discussed on sites like Alan Aaragon's and Lyle McDonald's. If on the other hand, we believe that "everyone is lying to us and its one big conspiracy" then we are left with no information whatsoever.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    In the hundred years since 1900, the human population in the US has doubled, while meat consumption has quintupled (five times). Increases in diseases like heart attack, cancer, etc have risen at the same rate.

Causation or correlation?

It's milk, meat and corn causing that?

Or more likely, the increase in sedentary jobs and the easily accessible fast food.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

So much fail.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Does that make sense?

Okay, fair point on people railing against you but you've done a bit there to create that issue yourself, no?

So let's move away from that for a few moments. And no I don't think this is ideological. I do agree that industries will hire people to do studies but that doesn't mean that they are the only ones doing any studies. Its why no educated scientist will rely on just one study to prove any proposition. They instead look at numerous studies in detail. And those industries do sometimes interpret studies in a way to cover their claims but again that doesn't necessarily mean that someone else can't look at the same study and say, "wait, this doesn't prove what you say it proves". Interpretation of studies is a lot of what you will see discussed on sites like Alan Aaragon's and Lyle McDonald's. If on the other hand, we believe that "everyone is lying to us and its one big conspiracy" then we are left with no information whatsoever.

posts like this are what lead me to actually want to learn more about Aragaon, et al. It's those flaming posts condemning "broscience" that piss me off. :P

I'm going to definitely look into it. If you're interested in my side of the story - look into the following TED talks - really interesting stuff by highly regarded people:

William Li - Can We Eat to Starve Cancer?
    Mark Bittman - What's Wrong with What We Eat?
    Dean Ornish - Any of his multiple TED talks
    Terri Wahls - Don't remember the name but has to do with eating to improve her MS
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Why do people keep saying milk makes phlem or mucus like it's a fact?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2154152

It's not. It doesn't.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

Causation or correlation?

It's milk, meat and corn causing that?

Or more likely, the increase in sedentary jobs and the easily accessible fast food.

^ this is where i'd put my money.

also i don't know if i believe the statistic that we consume 5x the amount of meat now per capita than we did 100 years ago (i am skeptical of that claim unless it comes from some legitimate non-partisan source).

finally, we have to understand that our advances in medicine and life expectancy likely have a large impact on the incidence of cancer and other diseases that typically manifest later in life. in 1900, the average life expectancy in the USA was 46 for men and 48 for women. by 1998, that had increased to 74 for men and nearly 80 for women.