Another Thought About Milk

Options

Replies

• kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Maybe other animals aren't smart enough to advantage of nutritious milk from other sources.

What about milk is actually nutritious?
    Natural calcium, natural proteins (great for building muscle), natural vitamins.. what ISN'T nutritious about milk?

You can get all of that from other sources other than milk by the way. Would you go to the store and buy a gallon if human breast milk ?

Back to back ridiculous statements.

Is that really what you want to go with? That if we can get similar nutrition from another source then the first source isn't nutritious? Coach, you're going to need stronger players on your team if you're going to win this

I dont need stronger anything Mr. i know everything and like to internet bully.
    Ask a nutritionist if our bodies were designed for cows milk. Its not. If you can get nutrients from a source your body can actually break down with ease why settle for something that puts your body into over drive?

Fyi, mentioning breast milk is not ridiculous. I'm sure you sucked on a tit for nutrition so spare me.

Do you know what's in breast milk? Do you know what it's benefits are?

I'll give you a starting point.. people like to argue that we shouldn't drink cow's milk because it has lactose, and we had to "evolve" to tolerate it. Guess what.. the carbohydrates in breast milk ARE MOSTLY LACTOSE!

and as we age we lose the enzyme that digests lactose.

we're meant to have milk as babies and children, not as adults.
    Then you become lactose intolerant and should stop drinking milk lol
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Maybe other animals aren't smart enough to advantage of nutritious milk from other sources.

Natural calcium, natural proteins (great for building muscle), natural vitamins.. what ISN'T nutritious about milk?

You can get all of that from other sources other than milk by the way. Would you go to the store and buy a gallon if human breast milk ?

Is that really what you want to go with? That if we can get similar nutrition from another source then the first source isn't nutritious? Coach, you're going to need stronger players on your team if you're going to win this

I don't really care to win, because I don't care how you folks choose to live your lives!

BTW Coach, are you thinking that there wasn't any cow's milk in that chocolate frosted doughnut you had for breakfast this morning?

Another :laugh:

I don't need to explain myself to you, but I will:

I eat cheese and dairy very sparingly because I don't think people should cut things out they enjoy

I bought the box of donuts about a week ago because I've been dealing with a very, very psychologically strenuous neurological issue with my voice and throat. I decided that I was going to stop letting it run my life, and spontaneously decided to grab a box of donuts because THAT'S what I wanted in that moment. I've spread out the eating of said donuts over a long period of time so as to keep the negative effects at bay, but THAT'S why I have them, and THAT'S why I'm eating them. When they're gone, I'm not going to be buying more.

That a good enough reason for you?

Out of curiosity then, why do you attack the IIFYM threads covering fast food etc.? The point many of us have made again and again is that if you eat an overall well balanced diet that covers your dietary needs then there is no reason to stress out about eating that donut. Coach, we're not out to get you. We may actually be able to help you. Seriously. Just think about it.
    I was having arguments with people who feel that 800-1000 calories of fast food EVERY DAY is fine.

a donut every couple days that's 270 calories is a massive difference.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

drweil

:laugh:

I could quote The China Study but you'd still laugh because you don't buy it - even though it's extremely thorough, comprehensive research.

you just don't agree with it.

I don't like you and your stupid arguments.... so Science... the end...

The China Study is science. ruh roh.

I said the end.... which means the end... stop.. no more... you know its over... show will not go on...curtain is closed... the end.
    awww but see you POSTED again so... you broke your own rule. weak.

Point goes too Coach on this one
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I don't really care to win, because I don't care how you folks choose to live your lives!

BTW Coach, are you thinking that there wasn't any cow's milk in that chocolate frosted doughnut you had for breakfast this morning?

I eat cheese and dairy very sparingly because I don't think people should cut things out they enjoy

I bought the box of donuts about a week ago because I've been dealing with a very, very psychologically strenuous neurological issue with my voice and throat. I decided that I was going to stop letting it run my life, and spontaneously decided to grab a box of donuts because THAT'S what I wanted in that moment. I've spread out the eating of said donuts over a long period of time so as to keep the negative effects at bay, but THAT'S why I have them, and THAT'S why I'm eating them. When they're gone, I'm not going to be buying more.

Well if you want to try to cope with stress by eating chocolate doughnuts, go right ahead.

I don't think it's working though - - - you're so touchy!

cute. :)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

what's nutritious about milk? you'll say calcium - you can get 50% more calcium from Almond Milk.

so then what other reason is there to drink it?
    Granted, store-bought almond milk contains more calcium than cow's milk, but it's because of the added calcium carbonate. It also has a nice amount of Vitamin E in it, in addition to a decent number of micronutrients.

But almond milk only has about one-eighth the amount of protein as cows milk, as well as lacking the nutrient quantity and nutrient diversity of its bovine counterpart.

Despite the nutritional elegance of cow's milk, the food phobic's have largely abandoned it.

so calcium, which we've covered - and protein, which can EASILY be met from any number of other sources.

hey, it's a personal choice and do what you want, but to me it's simple. Even if you're not lactose intolerant, milk often makes people phlegmy. Phlegm is the bodies natural response to something toxic entering its system. To me, that's all the info I needed - however I'm also a singer so I'm more sensitive to things like mucus and phlegm.

The point is, someone who doesn't drink milk isn't missing out on any nutrients compared with someone who does.
    I drink milk and/or eat dairy products at least once, if not more, a day.

I am also a singer. My friends can attest to that.

I do not get "phlegmy" from milk. I do not have problems with mucus or phlegm. That's normally caused by a respiratory infection, not dairy, so I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

Also, even when I *do* suffer from mucus or phlegm (again, due to a respiratory infection, not dairy), it doesn't affect my singing. At all.

So...your argument is flawed, if not completely invalid.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Another fun fact I was told about milk while studying voice at university: all humans are somewhat lactose intolerant, which causes milk to coat the vocal cords, which is why singers try to shy away from milk before performances.

Just something interesting.

yup

Yeah, this is false. Milk thickens mucus because it contains fats, which readily come out of solution in the throat and bind with the normal mucus that lines the throat. Nothing to do with lactose.

There is weak evidence that some cow's milk contains high levels of a particular protein that stimulates mucus production in the digestive tract, and this may exacerbate overproduction of mucus in people with asthma. But this is not well demonstrated, and the protein is uncommon in the usual dairy breeds' milk.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Our INSIDES have trouble breaking down dairy. Its a common fact. Jesus people.. its called education.

I drink it and eat dairy! I just know we were not meant to...just like we our guts have a hard time with processed food and refined this and refined that. You can eat kale, certain seeds, other leafy greens vegetables...tons of things the body breaks down with ease.

Education? You mean like my three degree level qualifications in biological disciplines including modules in nutrition for my last? Do you actually know how much of those foods you need to get the US recommended 1g of calcium per day for an adult female? If my maths is correct roughly 750g of spinach, 700g kale, 400g almonds or 400g flaxseeds, my body would struggle to consume and break that down on a daily basis. However my body finds 60g of parmesan cheese a walk in the park.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    dont quote me on this but i have heard that a high calcium meal can aid in weightloss by increasing the amount of fat excreted through your feces. I know this is a little off topic but i just found it quite fascinating especially as a lot of dieters avoid dairy. In terms of whether humans should drink cows milk ect i think its simply a matter of us being at the top of the food chain and the most evolved and therefore using all of our resources. It would almost seem wasteful to domestic cows and not utilize the milk for nutrients
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You can get lots of stuff from lots of different sources. that doesn't explain why it isn't nutritious though. Ball is still in your court.

corn-fed cattle and hormones are really all we need to say...

That's all you need to say? According to whom? These would little skirmishes would be more informative and enjoyable if you would learn one or two rules of debating

you've never actually posted any information yourself - you just piggyback on others doing the work and post memes.

Iknowyouare.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    Options

what's nutritious about milk? you'll say calcium - you can get 50% more calcium from Almond Milk.

so then what other reason is there to drink it?
    Granted, store-bought almond milk contains more calcium than cow's milk, but it's because of the added calcium carbonate. It also has a nice amount of Vitamin E in it, in addition to a decent number of micronutrients.

But almond milk only has about one-eighth the amount of protein as cows milk, as well as lacking the nutrient quantity and nutrient diversity of its bovine counterpart.

Despite the nutritional elegance of cow's milk, the food phobic's have largely abandoned it.

so calcium, which we've covered - and protein, which can EASILY be met from any number of other sources.

hey, it's a personal choice and do what you want, but to me it's simple. Even if you're not lactose intolerant, milk often makes people phlegmy. Phlegm is the bodies natural response to something toxic entering its system. To me, that's all the info I needed - however I'm also a singer so I'm more sensitive to things like mucus and phlegm.

The point is, someone who doesn't drink milk isn't missing out on any nutrients compared with someone who does.
    I drink milk and/or eat dairy products at least once, if not more, a day.

I am also a singer. My friends can attest to that.

I do not get "phlegmy" from milk. I do not have problems with mucus or phlegm. That's normally caused by a respiratory infection, not dairy, so I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

Also, even when I *do* suffer from mucus or phlegm (again, due to a respiratory infection, not dairy), it doesn't affect my singing. At all.

So...your argument is flawed, if not completely invalid.

haha I'm a singer and my paychecks attest to that.

in any case, just do two seconds of google research and you'll see you're unique - and you probably don't use your voice in the same way as professional singers.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Milk is a death drink! Stay away!! You will grow a third eye and may develop a tail!! One of the proteins in milk is called whey! Notice anything? It sounds exactly the same as weigh! What does that mean to you? If you drink it, you are going to whey more! err, weigh more! Casein has the same first four letters as Casey Anthony's name. If you drink milk, you may kill your offspring and go party!! Stay far away from the devil drink!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hmm, don't dogs and cats drink others milk?
    When chimps and apes take in strays do they feed them?

Right, but eventually those animals are weaned as well, correct?

No, not all the time. I know my cat always steals my yogurt milk, anything dairy if I leave it on the table...and she doesn't get fed from the table...There's also been many videos and documents showing that many animals will lap milk if given the opportunity. We do lots of things those animals can't do...that doesn't necessarily make it bad.

As for weaning, why would they continue to drink milk when there's a whole world in front of tthem they can get food from...it's fairly hard to find milk in the wild. And trust me, they're not getting weaned onto almond milk...

Also I'm glad I live in Canada where they're not aloud to give any cows hormones and weird stuff :)

I remember a time when I was younger when I fed a wild moose some milk, he loved it!

lap-the-milk.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlTqtkUlDbDXnzgZAkrDtBlKXkdToRXEE5lFs5g99-XGaj_3Mq
    2322.jpg
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

When is this? 10? 13? When you hit puberty?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You can get lots of stuff from lots of different sources. that doesn't explain why it isn't nutritious though. Ball is still in your court.

corn-fed cattle and hormones are really all we need to say...

That's all you need to say? According to whom? These would little skirmishes would be more informative and enjoyable if you would learn one or two rules of debating

you've never actually posted any information yourself - you just piggyback on others doing the work and post memes.

Iknowyouare.jpg

point to DavPul on this one. :)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Out of curiosity then, why do you attack the IIFYM threads covering fast food etc.? The point many of us have made again and again is that if you eat an overall well balanced diet that covers your dietary needs then there is no reason to stress out about eating that donut. Coach, we're not out to get you. We may actually be able to help you. Seriously. Just think about it.
    I was having arguments with people (taso) who feel that 800-1000 calories of fast food EVERY DAY is fine.

a donut every couple days that's 270 calories is a massive difference.

Okay, fair enough but let's discuss this here then. Let's drop the animosity at least for a few minutes. Can we at least agree that a diet made of up 80% "quality" foods (or "clean" if you like) and 20% not so "quality" or "clean" is still going to cover your bases and allow you to live a healthy, fit and, for many athletes, competitive life? It seems to be what you're doing and is at least what I strive for.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I dunno about Milk, but I do know Bananas are for monkeys. So bananas are definitely out of the question.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I dont need stronger anything Mr. i know everything and like to internet bully.
    Ask a nutritionist if our bodies were designed for cows milk. Its not. If you can get nutrients from a source your body can actually break down with ease why settle for something that puts your body into over drive?

Fyi, mentioning breast milk is not ridiculous. I'm sure you sucked on a tit for nutrition so spare me.

Do you know what's in breast milk? Do you know what it's benefits are?

I'll give you a starting point.. people like to argue that we shouldn't drink cow's milk because it has lactose, and we had to "evolve" to tolerate it. Guess what.. the carbohydrates in breast milk ARE MOSTLY LACTOSE!

Then you become lactose intolerant and should stop drinking milk lol

No, then you buy lactaze tablets and continue enjoying it.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    i think we are being trolled
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    That doesn't mean we were designed to drink cows milk. Lol. We are weened off breast milk, that's full of nutrients...why not just continue that if you're just going to switch to cows milk? Turds might have some nutrients in it, are you going to chew on a turd?

So what were humans 'designed' to eat? And what natural foods (not factory/ laboratory cheats) should we be eating to get the full daily dose of calcium?

Our INSIDES have trouble breaking down dairy. Its a common fact. Jesus people.. its called education.

I drink it and eat dairy! I just know we were not meant to...just like we our guts have a hard time with processed food and refined this and refined that. You can eat kale, certain seeds, other leafy greens vegetables...tons of things the body breaks down with ease.

people don't want to be educated. they enjoy ignorance because it's easier.

there is a difference between information and misinformation.

in the face of misinformation, the person who chooses ignorance comes out ahead in the long run.

just sayin'.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options