Another Thought About Milk

Options

Replies

• kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Maybe other animals aren't smart enough to advantage of nutritious milk from other sources.

What about milk is actually nutritious?
    Natural calcium, natural proteins (great for building muscle), natural vitamins.. what ISN'T nutritious about milk?

Edit" here let me get you started:

"Milk is bad because of growth hormones"

My response: Bovine growth hormone and IGF are protein hormones and they're cleaved into their constituent amino acids by your digestive enzymes in the same way as any ingested protein. In other words, they turn into food. It's not possible for them to have any growth-hormone like effects.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Now I just want a glass of milk.

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Did I miss something about milk?
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know - you'll say we've evolved since then - but then why don't we have the right enzymes!?

Some of us do. Some of us don't. The human population is somewhat diverse in terms of genes, which is why we don't all look the same either. Some populations evolved more tendency towards blond hair and blue eyes, some populations are shorter than others, and some populations can yes, produce lactase.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

and no, of course foods aren't designed to be eaten by us, WE'RE designed to eat certain foods - dairy is not among these foods.

According to whom

throughout the evolutionary process, our bodies developed the ability to break down certain things, and not others. Adult humans don't even have the proper enzymes to properly digest lactose. That ALONE is evidence that evolutionarily speaking, we're not meant to drink it.

But beyond that - a guy in a cave 10,000 years ago. Tell me how he gets his dairy fix?

I know - you'll say we've evolved since then - but then why don't we have the right enzymes!?

I think people who don't have the enzyme (lactase) are lactose-intolerant and probably know it. Otherwise most people do have lactase.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Maybe other animals aren't smart enough to advantage of nutritious milk from other sources.

Natural calcium, natural proteins (great for building muscle), natural vitamins.. what ISN'T nutritious about milk?

You can get all of that from other sources other than milk by the way. Would you go to the store and buy a gallon if human breast milk ?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Fat, GMO's and Hormones?
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

and no, of course foods aren't designed to be eaten by us, WE'RE designed to eat certain foods - dairy is not among these foods.

According to whom

throughout the evolutionary process, our bodies developed the ability to break down certain things, and not others. Adult humans don't even have the proper enzymes to properly digest lactose. That ALONE is evidence that evolutionarily speaking, we're not meant to drink it.

But beyond that - a guy in a cave 10,000 years ago. Tell me how he gets his dairy fix?

I see you haven't read the thread before replying. Several different populations of humans (including europeans, of which from your photo you appear to be one), have evolved to continue expressing the gene that makes the enzyme lactase, which digests milk. Some populations have this gene at low frequency, others at high frequency. It has been established that this event occurred around 10,000 years ago, and has been maintained in the human population by positive selection.

So many millions of us (although not everyone) do have these right enzymes.

I will admit at this point that I find you a rather odious forum participant. You routinely get yourself into arguments by posting false information, and then aggressively defend yourself when people correct you. Could you please consider at least reading the previous posts before you post further incorrect information?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Ridiculous question. Please enlighten us on how it isn't
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I know there's another "milk" thread going on but my question is different....

A friend sent this to me earlier, wanted to see what you all thought:

"Milk is for baby cows. Period. We're the only species to drink the milk from another species, and we're also the only species who continues to drink milk after infancy. "

Thoughts?

(PS - Cow/Heffer gifs welcome..... I'm not easily offended!!!) :)

Since that is said and ridiculed in almost every thread about milk, I fail to see how your thread is original. Milk is for baby cows in the same way eggs are for chicken embryos, nuts, seeds and grains are to nourish seedling plants. Few foods evolved for humans to eat them, they all have another function entirely.

If you wish to give up dairy you can get all the calcium you need from other wholefoods, just be prepared to regiment your diet. Personally I don't fancy 400g of almonds of 750g of spinach every day. Most people who don't eat dairy cheat by eating foods that are far less natural than dairy, there is nothing nutritious about almond milk, it has to be fortified in a factory or laboratory to be of any use at all. Alpro brand contains "Water, SUGAR, Almond (2%) ,Tri-Calcium Phosphate, SEA SALT, Stabilisers (Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum) ,Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin) ,Vitamin (Riboflavin (B2), B12, E, D2)".

Whoa there, nelly. Where's your rant on almond milk coming from? LOL!

FYI I did a search to see if THIS topic had been posted and I didn't see it. How many people do that before posting?

Where in my post did it say or suggest giving up dairy?

Plain and simple, I asked for thoughts, did I not?

And yes I am original. I'm me.

Relax, chickie.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    We are also the only species to live in houses with air conditioning, take daily showers, and brush and floss our teeth. I don't believe milk is bad for us. If animals had access to milk from other species, they would drink it. They just dont have the ability to do it. I am always going to drink milk. (just my thoughts)
  • kms1320
    Options

You can get all of that from other sources other than milk by the way. Would you go to the store and buy a gallon if human breast milk ?
    You can get lots of stuff from lots of different sources. that doesn't explain why it isn't nutritious though. Ball is still in your court.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

According to whom

I think people who don't have the enzyme (lactase) are lactose-intolerant and probably know it. Otherwise most people do have lactase.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA182741
    This is because as we mature, our bodies stop making the enzyme that breaks it down.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can get all of that from other sources other than milk by the way.

Wait, what? By that logic, there's no need to eat oranges or strawberries because you can get vitamin C from tomatoes. Just because two different foods have the same nutrients doesn't make one of them obsolete.
  • sc9576
    sc9576 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Cats are lactose intolerant and arent meant to drink cows milk (not many people know that)

I love milk and have a glass a day and have drunk it since I can remember and I have grown up fairly normally - no oversize features, normal size head and only one and no extra limbs

I cant drink almond milk as I have a nut allergy and dont like soya milk so to get calcium I have to stick to cows milk
  • CoachReddy
    Options

According to whom

I see you haven't read the thread before replying. Several different populations of humans (including europeans, of which from your photo you appear to be one), have evolved to continue expressing the gene that makes the enzyme lactase, which digests milk. Some populations have this gene at low frequency, others at high frequency. It has been established that this event occurred around 10,000 years ago, and has been maintained in the human population by positive selection.

So many millions of us (although not everyone) do have these right enzymes.

I will admit at this point that I find you a rather odious forum participant. You routinely get yourself into arguments by posting false information, and then aggressively defend yourself when people correct you. Could you please consider at least reading the previous posts before you post further incorrect information?

I don't mind at all that you find me odious. Good word choice.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    All the food is poison. All the food is poison.

The carrots, the peas, the celery sticks, the meat and the fish will make you sick

All the food is poison. All the food is poison.

Apples, tomatoes, wheat and the corn, all the food is poison. Don’t eat the food, its poison food
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

drweil

:laugh:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You can get lots of stuff from lots of different sources. that doesn't explain why it isn't nutritious though. Ball is still in your court.

corn-fed cattle and hormones are really all we need to say...
  • kms1320
    Options
    Fat = drink skim

GMO's = why is that a bad thing? They become more resistant to diseases, produce more per livestock, etc.. nature has been practicing genetic modification for a long, long, time, and we're just using our big brains to facilitate the process.

Hormones = Bovine growth hormone and IGF are protein hormones and they're cleaved into their constituent amino acids by your digestive enzymes in the same way as any ingested protein. In other words, they turn into food. It's not possible for them to have any growth-hormone like effects