Another Thought About Milk

Options

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Some people are lactose intolerant or can't digest dairy, yes, but that doesn't mean giving up milk is going to be beneficial for everyone. The anti-dairy fad needs to fade into oblivion. It's as annoying and useless as the anti-fat phase we all went through and got fatter because of. For some people, it works, like a gluten free diet. For others, it's not beneficial in any way.

Sigh...first worlders and their fad diets.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Almond milk also has Carrageenan, which I try to stay away from.

Dr. Blaylock says about carrageenan (Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life; pg. 196):

"Carrageenan is a rather new additive. It is a complex polysaccharide extract made from seaweed, and is used as a binding agent. Experimentally, carrageenan is used as an agent to induce intense inflammation in experimental animals. A recent study found that when carrageenan was injected in animals along with a cancer-causing chemical, tumors appeared more rapidly and in significantly higher numbers than in control animals injected with carcinogen alone. The same was seen when human breast cancers were implanted in animals along with carrageenan: the combination made the tumores grow faster and spread more widely than in control animals. As a result, carrageenan is classified as a tumor promotor.

"

Also - there are quite a few people allergic to almonds. I know that nuts - such as almonds - trigger my migraines so I tend to stay away from them anyways.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care what other mammals drink or don't drink. I drink milk because I like it. I'm not going to waste my time trying to talk milk haters into drinking it and they shouldnt waste theirs trying to talk me out of drinking it. :happy:
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hmm, don't dogs and cats drink others milk?
    When chimps and apes take in strays do they feed them?

Right, but eventually those animals are weaned as well, correct?
    My kitten is 6 months old and still dries to drink milk from the source.... The source being my DOG.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think that animals also don't track their calories online (at least not as far as I know!) so I'm not too worried about milk being "unnatural." If you like it, want to drink it, and make it fit your goals, then go for it. If you don't want it, then there are other places to get your proteins, fats, etc.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

only because WE give it to them because WE deem it ok.

(and yes, in extreme circumstances when the babies have no mother, some animals have been known to breastfeed from other species, but again, this isn't a testament to the fact that they SHOULD, just a testament to the evolutionary process where life will find a way whether its "meant" to or not)

The "natural" arguments, of which this is one, are logically fallacious. There is no food at all that is specifically designed to be eaten by adult humans. I don't, for example, ever remember seeing a Shakeology tree.

really? pathetic.

and no, of course foods aren't designed to be eaten by us, WE'RE designed to eat certain foods - dairy is not among these foods.

Wow. You really need to learn to hold your temper there buddy. It makes your argument go downhill. It's one thing to add in a little snark. It's another to blatantly start saying things or people are pathetic.

I'm not sure why my opinions are invalid simply because I've used Shakeology in the past. pretty silly to bring it up every time I post about something that has nothing to do with it. THAT'S what's pretty pathetic.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

(and yes, in extreme circumstances when the babies have no mother, some animals have been known to breastfeed from other species, but again, this isn't a testament to the fact that they SHOULD, just a testament to the evolutionary process where life will find a way whether its "meant" to or not)

The "natural" arguments, of which this is one, are logically fallacious. There is no food at all that is specifically designed to be eaten by adult humans. I don't, for example, ever remember seeing a Shakeology tree.

really? pathetic.

and no, of course foods aren't designed to be eaten by us, WE'RE designed to eat certain foods - dairy is not among these foods.

From one logical fallacy to another. Now the ad hominem.

What scientific evidence do you have that we are designed to eat only specific foods? Humans have demonstrated an amazing ability to survive and flourish on a large variety of different diets.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Dr. Blaylock says about carrageenan (Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life; pg. 196):

"Carrageenan is a rather new additive. It is a complex polysaccharide extract made from seaweed, and is used as a binding agent. Experimentally, carrageenan is used as an agent to induce intense inflammation in experimental animals. A recent study found that when carrageenan was injected in animals along with a cancer-causing chemical, tumors appeared more rapidly and in significantly higher numbers than in control animals injected with carcinogen alone. The same was seen when human breast cancers were implanted in animals along with carrageenan: the combination made the tumores grow faster and spread more widely than in control animals. As a result, carrageenan is classified as a tumor promotor.

"

Also - there are quite a few people allergic to almonds. I know that nuts - such as almonds - trigger my migraines so I tend to stay away from them anyways.

so drink something else
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

"

so drink something else

Like bovine milk?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

"

so drink something else

Like bovine milk?

if you like.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

really? pathetic.

I'm sure our thumb placement is designed the way it is so that we can milk animals (among other things), so my belief is that we're designed to eat and drink dairy.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    http://theprimalparent.com/2012/05/16/additives-almond-milk-how-to-make/

Almond Milk looks worse and worse the more I look at it.. that extra calcium is CHALK!

Calcium Carbonate – This is a non organic, non-living mineral source of calcium and, most of the time, it is just plain chalk! That’s right- you are consuming chalk – the same stuff you use to write on a blackboard. Good luck with that!

Vitamin A Palmitate – This is a synthetic version of vitamin A that is associated with birth defects and bone fractures while providing zero health benefits. Other side effects of this isolated chemical form of vitamin A include tumor enhancement, joint disorders, osteoporosis, extreme dryness of eyes, mouth and skin, enlargement of liver and spleen, and immune suppression. As an added note, vitamin A toxicity, known as hyper-vitaminosis, always results from consuming too much synthetic “purified” vitamin A and never from naturally occurring vitamin A found from natural food sources. Still haven’t thrown out your store-bought “almond milk?”

Vitamin D2 – This synthetic chemical needs to be avoided at all costs as toxicity occurs easily with ingested synthetic D2. This occurs especially in children. In fact, a single dose of synthetic vitamin D of 50mg or greater is toxic for adults. The immediate effect of toxicity is abdominal cramps, nausea, and vomiting. In time, as toxicity builds, the result is a buildup of irreversible deposits of calcium crystals in the soft tissues of the body that damage the heart, lung and kidneys.*
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    My kitten is 6 months old and still dries to drink milk from the source.... The source being my DOG.

Oh noooo!!! LOL!!! What does your dog do?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    http://theprimalparent.com/2012/05/16/additives-almond-milk-how-to-make/

Almond Milk looks worse and worse the more I look at it.. that extra calcium is CHALK!

Calcium Carbonate – This is a non organic, non-living mineral source of calcium and, most of the time, it is just plain chalk! That’s right- you are consuming chalk – the same stuff you use to write on a blackboard. Good luck with that!

Vitamin A Palmitate – This is a synthetic version of vitamin A that is associated with birth defects and bone fractures while providing zero health benefits. Other side effects of this isolated chemical form of vitamin A include tumor enhancement, joint disorders, osteoporosis, extreme dryness of eyes, mouth and skin, enlargement of liver and spleen, and immune suppression. As an added note, vitamin A toxicity, known as hyper-vitaminosis, always results from consuming too much synthetic “purified” vitamin A and never from naturally occurring vitamin A found from natural food sources. Still haven’t thrown out your store-bought “almond milk?”

Vitamin D2 – This synthetic chemical needs to be avoided at all costs as toxicity occurs easily with ingested synthetic D2. This occurs especially in children. In fact, a single dose of synthetic vitamin D of 50mg or greater is toxic for adults. The immediate effect of toxicity is abdominal cramps, nausea, and vomiting. In time, as toxicity builds, the result is a buildup of irreversible deposits of calcium crystals in the soft tissues of the body that damage the heart, lung and kidneys.*

legit, and I'm going to look into it

however, if you think your milk hasn't been artificially enhanced as well, then... you're wrong.
  • Jozie_
    Jozie_ Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Always cracks me up when people talk about what humans are 'designed' to do, like there was a team of engineers sitting around putting together the functions of the human body, we have evolved and adapted to become the species that we are and as such there will be variances between individuals, some people thrive on a diet that includes dairy, others don't. Everyone needs to work out the diet that their body functions best on.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Even if you're not lactose intolerant, milk often makes people phlegmy. Phlegm is the bodies natural response to something toxic entering its system.

Milk and other high-fat foods thicken the body's normally produced mucus, making people feel more congested and 'phlegmy'. But phlegm is a pathalogical alteration (disease-state) of the normal mucus response (related to infection, normally. Not toxicity). Dairy products, which thicken mucus, mimic this disease state but the cause is not the same. Like taking a hot shower will make you hot, but it's not the same as having a fever.

also
    WE'RE designed to eat certain foods - dairy is not among these foods.

Not true. Humans are fantastically successful because they are generalist omnivores - we eat everything. Including dairy. And if you want to get into a 'designed' debate, there is excellent evidence (referred to above), that natural selection has promoted the adult persistence of the expression of the gene that encodes the enzyme lactase, allowing humans to cleave milk sugar into usable glucose.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

"

so drink something else

Like bovine milk?

if you like.

Okay....so....your question as to why drink cow milk has been answered. :wink:
    what's nutritious about milk? you'll say calcium - you can get 50% more calcium from Almond Milk.

so then what other reason is there to drink it?
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Oh noooo!!! LOL!!! What does your dog do?
    She just lays there and takes it. Even licks the kittens head a few times. I think she wants to be a mum LOL
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    The average life expectancy in a white male (guessing obviously) is 80 years, so... I'd say it likely had nothing to do with drinking milk.

Interesting. He also ate eggs, drank diet soda, enjoyed beer and smoked and people crucify these things because they're "bad for you." Yet, our life expectancy is the highest ever.

Probably helps that we're not outrunning Sabers and Mammoths anymore as well :D
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say it because I wanna say it.

Who gives a care as to why we drink milk! I drank milk all the dam time when I was younger and to this day, STILL drink it. (however, in something like coffee and ice cream.)

Though, if you really want me to drink almond milk I am going to laugh at you. Bla.

Yet, when I have cereal what in the world am i going to wet with it? O_o Water?

Umm No. Say what you believe. You're not going to change my mind. I need my yogurt in the morning.

OMG I AM EATING A LIVE ANIMAL BECAUSE OF IT! Someone alert the government!

-_-; No matter how you dress it up. Everything is bad for you if you don't use it in moderation. That's what I have to say on the subject of milk.

Matter of fact, my mother can go through a gallon of milk in no time flat. Me?

It goes bad..