Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Now I just want a glass of milk.
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I know there's another "milk" thread going on but my question is different....

A friend sent this to me earlier, wanted to see what you all thought:

"Milk is for baby cows. Period. We're the only species to drink the milk from another species, and we're also the only species who continues to drink milk after infancy. "

Thoughts?

(PS - Cow/Heffer gifs welcome..... I'm not easily offended!!!) :)

We're also the "only species" to drive cars or hold wedding ceremonies! Should we stop doing these things simply because we're the only species that does them? Of course not!
    The Bible talks about the drinking of milk in a favorable light...that's good enough for me!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    The notion that milk is good for all of us throughout life has been fostered by the dairy industry. Except for people of northern European origin, most adults worldwide can't digest lactose, the natural sugar in milk. This is because as we mature, our bodies stop making the enzyme that breaks it down. As a result, many may develop gas, cramps and/or diarrhea whenever milk is consumed.

But lactose intolerance isn't the only problem with milk and milk products. The milk protein, casein, can irritate the immune system and stimulate mucus production, worsening allergy symptoms. This is why milk consumption is associated with recurrent childhood ear infections, eczema, chronic bronchitis, asthma, and sinus conditions. Even those who are not allergic to milk, like people who have autoimmune diseases or digestive problems, may find that their symptoms improve when they eliminate milk and milk products.

if you want to drink it, that's your prerogative and go for it - just do the research as well. :)
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    however, if you think your milk hasn't been artificially enhanced as well, then... you're wrong.
    Depends where you get it from. I've been to the farms around here that produce milk. If I wasn't happy with the way the cows were treated and the laws governing what can/can't be in milk (and those laws are pretty strict here), I wouldn't buy it.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Another interesting factoid about calcium carbonate. Women who are pregnant sometimes crave non-food items, and chalk is among the top non-food items craved. The common recommendation by doctors for this is to tell their patients to drink cow's milk.

Regardless, if there is a food source that gives me 50% of my calcium, 8.7 grams of protein, and over 500mg of potassium in an 8 ounce, 90 calorie serving, then I am going to consume it. All dairy, in fact. Yogurt, cheese, etc. It's hard to think of a food source with a denser nutrition to calorie ratio than dairy (greek yogurt in particular).

You can't make good cheese or yogurt with almonds.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    My kitten is 6 months old and still dries to drink milk from the source.... The source being my DOG.

Oh noooo!!! LOL!!! What does your dog do?
    She just lays there and takes it. Even licks the kittens head a few times. I think she wants to be a mum LOL

Aww. Ok that's just cute. :)
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    however, if you think your milk hasn't been artificially enhanced as well, then... you're wrong.
    Depends where you get it from. I've been to the farms around here that produce milk. If I wasn't happy with the way the cows were treated and the laws governing what can/can't be in milk (and those laws are pretty strict here), I wouldn't buy it.

You say the laws are "pretty strict here" but we can't see where you're from... mind sharing?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    The average life expectancy in a white male (guessing obviously) is 80 years, so... I'd say it likely had nothing to do with drinking milk.

Interesting. He also ate eggs, drank diet soda, enjoyed beer and smoked and people crucify these things because they're "bad for you." Yet, our life expectancy is the highest ever.

Probably helps that we're not outrunning Sabers and Mammoths anymore as well :D

Even in the last 200 years.

I think a glass or two of milk a day can not be any different then walking down the street in a factory city.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow. I feel like I started a thing.

I grew up drinking 2% milk most of my life. At some point (probably about 21 or so) I heard someone say that after you weren't a baby anymore, you really didn't require milk, and so it might be "best" to drink nonfat, if not something else entirely. After that, I started drinking nonfat. I don't think I'm opposed to 2% or Whole...I can see why certain people would want to use it instead of nonfat.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

You say the laws are "pretty strict here" but we can't see where you're from... mind sharing?

My bad. I'm in Canada. No antibiotics, no growth hormones allowed with incredibly heavy penalties if it's found in a tank.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

My bad. I'm in Canada. No antibiotics, no growth hormones allowed with incredibly heavy penalties if it's found in a tank.

I wish I lived in Canada... haha America sucks on things like that
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Another interesting factoid about calcium carbonate. Women who are pregnant sometimes crave non-food items, and chalk is among the top non-food items craved. The common recommendation by doctors for this is to tell their patients to drink cow's milk.

Regardless, if there is a food source that gives me 50% of my calcium, 8.7 grams of protein, and over 500mg of potassium in an 8 ounce, 90 calorie serving, then I am going to consume it. All dairy, in fact. Yogurt, cheese, etc. It's hard to think of a food source with a denser nutrition to calorie ratio than dairy (greek yogurt in particular).

You can't make good cheese or yogurt with almonds.

The non-food part is SO true. A buddy of mine who was in the army, kept complaining how his wife kept him up at night complaining that she wanted to eat brick! WEIRD!
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    tHw0b.gif

^so funny!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

and no, of course foods aren't designed to be eaten by us, WE'RE designed to eat certain foods - dairy is not among these foods.

According to whom
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I know there's another "milk" thread going on but my question is different....

A friend sent this to me earlier, wanted to see what you all thought:

"Milk is for baby cows. Period. We're the only species to drink the milk from another species, and we're also the only species who continues to drink milk after infancy. "

Thoughts?

(PS - Cow/Heffer gifs welcome..... I'm not easily offended!!!) :)

Since that is said and ridiculed in almost every thread about milk, I fail to see how your thread is original. Milk is for baby cows in the same way eggs are for chicken embryos, nuts, seeds and grains are to nourish seedling plants. Few foods evolved for humans to eat them, they all have another function entirely.

If you wish to give up dairy you can get all the calcium you need from other wholefoods, just be prepared to regiment your diet. Personally I don't fancy 400g of almonds of 750g of spinach every day. Most people who don't eat dairy cheat by eating foods that are far less natural than dairy, there is nothing nutritious about almond milk, it has to be fortified in a factory or laboratory to be of any use at all. Alpro brand contains "Water, SUGAR, Almond (2%) ,Tri-Calcium Phosphate, SEA SALT, Stabilisers (Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum) ,Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin) ,Vitamin (Riboflavin (B2), B12, E, D2)".
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't discriminate against any of the common milks, on any given day you might find cow's milk, soy milk, almond milk or cocounut milk in my food diary.

Let's look at it this way. We are absolutely meant to be weaned from mother's milk. However cow's milk does have nutrients we need that we may not get from other foods so why not drink it? We weren't meant to eat chemicals either, but we all do :)
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Maybe other animals aren't smart enough to advantage of nutritious milk from other sources.

What about milk is actually nutritious?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

and no, of course foods aren't designed to be eaten by us, WE'RE designed to eat certain foods - dairy is not among these foods.

According to whom

throughout the evolutionary process, our bodies developed the ability to break down certain things, and not others. Adult humans don't even have the proper enzymes to properly digest lactose. That ALONE is evidence that evolutionarily speaking, we're not meant to drink it.

But beyond that - a guy in a cave 10,000 years ago. Tell me how he gets his dairy fix?

I know - you'll say we've evolved since then - but then why don't we have the right enzymes!?
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Because cheese. End of story.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow. I feel like I started a thing.

I grew up drinking 2% milk most of my life. At some point (probably about 21 or so) I heard someone say that after you weren't a baby anymore, you really didn't require milk, and so it might be "best" to drink nonfat, if not something else entirely. After that, I started drinking nonfat. I don't think I'm opposed to 2% or Whole...I can see why certain people would want to use it instead of nonfat.

Don't worry about it, there's usually a "thing" going on regarding milk in this forum. :flowerforyou: