Strange weight loss comments...

Options

Replies

• KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Today, my Uncle-in-law said, and I quote, " Damn girl, how much of you did you leave behind?". Lol. I told him, "45 lbs of me!". A good comment. Lol to me.
  • lizzane
    lizzane Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My 2 lil'brothers have seriously low body fat (both in sports and what not) and i was ever one to do exercise so they would (and still) call me "fatty girl" ( but it's ok cause I kno they don't say it with a "mean" attitude)

But ever since I started working out they now call me "buff girl" even tho I have lost like 3 pounds haha :p
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to the Dr, he weighed me and at that time the scales recorded a 30 kilogram loss (I've lost 66 kg so far). He double-checked the previous weigh in and then said to me - "Is that even possible?" :laugh:

My ticker is broken so it doesn't show correctly. :huh:
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Man, some of these comments are just awful but I'll admit I've gotten similar ones. It can be quite shocking that people would be so ignorant about what a healthy weight should be but, living in the southern U.S., I guess I shouldn't be terribly surprised.

I'm down to about 179 now from 375-ish and it seems that the past 15 pounds or so people have been a lot less supportive. My goal is to have a healthy BMI rating at about 155 lbs, which for a dude my age at 5' 7" is a reasonable weight. It seems like everyone lately is telling me that I look too skinny and I guess I could be discouraged but rather I find it a sort of sick commentary on society when a healthy weight isn't considered "normal" any more. Sadder still is that these are Nurses saying these sorts of things.

I'll say that all of the Doctors and Registered Dietitians I interact with on a daily basis have been very cool and supportive.It's just sort of disturbing to me that people have gotten sort of more hostile toward my weight loss as I get closer to my goal.

Well, it's nice when people are supportive but, as we all know, it isn't what matters. What matters is that we stick to our own vision for our body, as long as we are doing it in a healthy way.

Keep on fighting the good fight, dudes and ladies.
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think that the strangest comment is the "non" comment. Everyone has noticed that I lost 28lbs. Not one comment from my husband. My parents even commented in front of him and still no comment. Nothing. My daughter even said mom you have to start buying pants that fit lol. Still not a word. Strange....
    [/qMy husband was the same way. I had lost 45 pounds and he still hadn't said anything. That was when I put my profile pic together and posted it on Facebook. After the 100 or so comments from friends he pulled me aside that night and told me he just didn't notice due to being around me all the time. I don't know if it smacked him in the face from the comments or actually seeing the before and after next to one another made him see. Either way mean are stupid sometimes. Now he wants me to update the picture so he can show it off at work......go figure.uote]
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to the Dr, he weighed me and at that time the scales recorded a 30 kilogram loss (I've lost 66 kg so far). He double-checked the previous weigh in and then said to me - "Is that even possible?" :laugh:

My ticker is broken so it doesn't show correctly. :huh:

What's that in pounds? Sounds hilarious:).
  • marialydia
    marialydia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "You can't lose too much more weight, you will weigh less than me!"

At least it is honest! This is when my BMI is 36.5
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I work mostly with men and they've mostly given me a lot of good feed back on my weight loss (not in a pervy way either, I could be their mum in a lot of cases lol).

One guy however, when he heard I still had 21lb to go (roughly, I'll see how it looks and feels when I get there) made the comment he couldn't understand the need to be a size zero!! I had to explain that I wouldn't be a size zero (which doesn't even exist in the UK, it's a 4 here), at best I'd be back in a UK size 10. Do you think he's been reading too many of his wife's celeb mags? lol

The best one was one guy who thought for a moment before saying "Hell, you must have been fatter than I thought!" when he heard how much I'd lost so far. I'm still trying to work out if I've been insulted lol
  • rebamay87
    rebamay87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I get two sides of the coin. On one side, I get from my mum comments like 'well when you get to...' as if whatever i've got going on now is not enough, that I should strive for more all the time. this is double bladed, one is.. woo she thinks I can get that much further, the other is.. she doesn't think what i've done is enough! ugh. Though I did get my very first 'Are you sure you want to get smaller... wouldn't that be a bit small?' From my mother in law. Though I just smiled and said I was aiming for my BMI. No point getting offended after all.
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight the first time around and I was working...a lot of my customers noticed.This one customer said" Omg! Look at you! You look like a little model....wait....you don't have cancer or anything do you? ?" . I have a friend also tell me that I was getting too skinny and I was beginning to look like a bobble head :/ I guess I had a big head and little body ? Lol... I look foward to those comments again lol
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I was walking yesterday and some kid yelled at me out the passenger side window of a car. I couldn't make out exactly what he said but it was "Hot something". He was younger than my Nephew!!!! I'm a little confused and creeped out. It would b like him yelling at his mom.... I'm almost 34 and I'm guessing he was like 16. lmao.
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think that the strangest comment is the "non" comment. Everyone has noticed that I lost 28lbs. Not one comment from my husband. My parents even commented in front of him and still no comment. Nothing. My daughter even said mom you have to start buying pants that fit lol. Still not a word. Strange....

I had that happen when I took a job delivering packages. I lose 25 pounds in less than six months just from the extra movement, but my husband never said a word. He's now the ex-husband, and I have a husband who loves me no matter what I weigh, but he always notices my effort and my results!
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I find it a sort of sick commentary on society when a healthy weight isn't considered "normal" any more. Sadder still is that these are Nurses saying these sorts of things.

I'll say that all of the Doctors and Registered Dietitians I interact with on a daily basis have been very cool and supportive.It's just sort of disturbing to me that people have gotten sort of more hostile toward my weight loss as I get closer to my goal.

It is very true that healthy is not considered "normal" anymore. I think that if more of us start getting healthy, and spreading the knowledge and inspiring those around us to do the same, we can bring healthy back to the status quo! Keep up the good work! And as a nurse, I can't imagine saying anything negative about a co-worker's weight loss!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I decided at one point to go to a nutritionist. It was after my daughter an while I was not huge I wanted help getting a handle on healthy eating. I stopped going when she said to me, "well if you want to substitute candy for a piece of fruit each day you can. Also its not like your that big, you look fine to me".

I don't remember where I was on being overweight, not where I am now, but seriously it was about learning to eat healthy so I wouldn't end up where overly large. Obviously I missed something.
  • NapturalNurse
    NapturalNurse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In 2011 my husband and I had both lost a lot of weight. At that time I was down about 80 lbs, unfortunately I put some back on but it's coming back off now, and he was down about 70. This friend of ours saw him and was just gushing over how good he looked. Then she looked at me and got a sour look on her face, looked down at my new shoes and said "oh those are nice shoe". I thought to myself WTF? The strange thing is we have had that happen with a few others just minus the shoe comment. They will gush over him and just ignore me. My husband will point out my weight loss and they just tune it out.

I've had similar experiences!!! I lost 40 lbs and my hubby lost 95 lbs, but it was a big difference on both of us.
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    With that kind of weight loss you'll be at your goal in no time.

This was after I'd lost maybe 40 pounds. I don't think that person realized that I still had about 150 more pounds to lose to be at my ultimate goal weight.

My grandmother said "Wow, I never thought I'd see you that small ever again."

SMH!
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The lady with the comment from her mother about her boobs. I can so relate that would be my mother so out of the blue. So make you want to shake your head. Ha ha You gotta love them we only get one :heart:
  • Sweetaj6
    Sweetaj6 Posts: 8
    Options
    In 2011 my husband and I had both lost a lot of weight. At that time I was down about 80 lbs, unfortunately I put some back on but it's coming back off now, and he was down about 70. This friend of ours saw him and was just gushing over how good he looked. Then she looked at me and got a sour look on her face, looked down at my new shoes and said "oh those are nice shoe". I thought to myself WTF? The strange thing is we have had that happen with a few others just minus the shoe comment. They will gush over him and just ignore me. My husband will point out my weight loss and they just tune it out.

My husband and I are both losing right now too and while he is loosing more than me... Him=20lbs Me = 12lbs, no one seems to notice me! They all gush over him. Im a little jealous, but it is just helping to motivate me to work harder : )
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Well in the past 4 days I've been asked by 3 different people if I was on crack and/or meth because Im "getting so skinny" lol they were joking... I hope :-/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!