Options

Replies

• t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    'are your boobs getting smaller? they better not! ' :noway:
  • kristinadalba
    Options
    My grandma said "you have such a pretty face,I want be rest to be. The same"
    Grandfather chimed in saying"I will pay you a thousand dollars to lose weight"!....he was serious tooo

I'm 5"6,21,have a son....was 178lbs at that point though .
  • crazypeachs
    crazypeachs Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Your husband is like my bf...I feel so fortunate to have a guy who loves me whatever size I am. Partly, it's that he loves me for who I am and, let's face it, my boobs are never going away. He has expressed concern that I might lose my curves and I can't imagine that will happen. This morning, he saw me in one of my new outfits (aka clothes that actually fit perfectly) and was like, "you're getting skinny!" with very happy eyes :-) I'm wearing a size 18w pant and XL top. I have a pair of 16w pants and still need a 20 at times. I'm not skinny, but I'm getting there :-)

He initially asked me out based on my appearance when I weighed more than I do now.

my husband likes curves, too. i've always been VERY curvy. even when i was smaller. i'm currently still larger than i was when we got married, but i'm on my way down. at any rate, he sometimes makes comments about me 'losing my butt' or my belly, but he's finding things he likes about the changes, too. i often have to reassure him that i'll never lose my hips, and my butt will still be big, just it'll be smaller...but i know he'll be happy when i'm done. and it's helpful when he smiles at the changes he likes.

it's funny, there's a lot of psychological stuff that goes with the size we are and the changes we make. internally things change, and externally things change. not just our size or our shape, but the way we're treated, the way we think, the way we feel... and the getting used to those changes is surprising me. i haven't lost much, i still have quite a ways to go, but already i'm seeing that. very interesting.
  • mp13cat
    mp13cat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow...what would possess someone to say that to a stranger.
  • PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    One of my college students (who thinks I cannot hear her): "She's lost a lot of weight! How could you not notice? She doesn't even need to wear a bra anymore!"

Great ?
  • pinkgrandmaof8
    pinkgrandmaof8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My sister told me that I am NOT supposed to be smaller than her. Nobody told me that rule!

Worse is my friend who reminded me that MY boobs used to weigh something. I'm a breast cancer survivor who had to have a double mastectomy...WHAT?!?!
  • knightsar
    knightsar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • ionamorgana
    ionamorgana Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "Omg you look so much better. You were getting really big"

Ugh thanks.. o.0
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm a school principal. My administrative assistant says, "Don't lose anymore weight. The parents may think this school is too stressful for you and that's why you're losing weight. I don't want them to think you're sick or stressed out." SMH

Lol. I'm a teacher. I might tell the parents at next parents' evening that I have lost weight due to the stress of teaching their kids!

I haven't really had any strange comments. I often get 'what diet are you doing?'. Um, none. It's called eating healthily and exercising. The other day I got told I was skinny and having 2 kids must agree with me!
  • ionamorgana
    Options
    "Gosh its a shame you lost all of the weight and none of it came off your butt"
  • ionamorgana
    Options
    My sister told me that I am NOT supposed to be smaller than her. Nobody told me that rule!

Worse is my friend who reminded me that MY boobs used to weigh something. I'm a breast cancer survivor who had to have a double mastectomy...WHAT?!?!

OMG. I am soo sorry she said that. What a ... yeah know. *hugs*
  • darthwife
    darthwife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    DH and I are both trying to lose weight. He has lost more than me and is now in healthy BMI range. At sister-in-laws recently she commented on both of us. She told him he looked sexy now! Also that he looked pregnant before! He just replied that oh yes he was but he just didn't want to tell anyone cos he wasn't sure whose it was! That shut her up.
    She told me I looked younger and sexy too. Gee thanks I think....amazing knack of making a compliment seem like a veiled insult.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • tiffanycsmith
    tiffanycsmith Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say that they're proud of me. So does that mean that they weren't proud of me before?

I truly believe that people don't understand the psychological implications that their flippant statements about the weight of others have on them. As someone who has struggled my entire life with my weight and has to take steroids just to survive, it really hurts when people just make comments without thinking.

And honestly, the flattery is weird. I don't even know how I'm going to react once I get in my goal weight zone. I'm probably going to move somewhere where no one knows me. Haha.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've learned to understand that "Your face is small," can be a compliment, maybe meaning I've lost weight. I don't know whether to say "Thank you" or "Okay?" but the Koreans tend to say this.
  • ascends831
    ascends831 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think people either say weird things about weight loss because they are uncomfortable or unaware of the sensitivity of the subject. It also seems strange when people don't say anything after substantial loss> like no one wants to bring up how overweight you once were and might even still be.

I have recently been told, how she "can't believe how my shape has changed" as opposed to just shrinking I guess? But I'm thinking, of course my shape will change, I used to have no waist and a blob for a middle - now I have some curve. I also think it's not helpful when people try to say that no one looks at you and focuses on the fat. When you are significantly overweight it is part of your identity and one the very first things people notice and take note of I think. Un-fun comments I have also herd are "how it must be nice to have such a smaller belly and to be able to see my toes"! Really!? Is that what you were looking at me and thinking before? I totally could have gone my whole life not knowing that!
  • ascends831
    Options
    Sounds like you have some real unsupportive people around you who like to see you hurt over your body issues. I wouldn't let them get off the hook... Either call em on it and they will learn not to disrespect you, or disassociate from them. People who have never lost any real weight have no idea how much work it is and not just at the table or the gym, but ALL the time, ALL the thinking patterns and deprivation and shame and 2 steps forward - 1 step back, and 1 step forward, 2 back... But if these people are close to you I think they might have an idea of the struggle, and are not comfortable with you doing something so difficult because then they cant focus their energy on you and what judgement they might make - they would actually have to think about how will power could better their own life. In my experience most people wish they had more will power in at least one area that is holding them back from perceived "happiness"
  • ascends831
    Options
    Sounds like you have some real unsupportive people around you who like to see you hurt over your body issues. I wouldn't let them get off the hook... Either call em on it and they will learn not to disrespect you, or disassociate from them. People who have never lost any real weight have no idea how much work it is and not just at the table or the gym, but ALL the time, ALL the thinking patterns and deprivation and shame and 2 steps forward - 1 step back, and 1 step forward, 2 back... But if these people are close to you I think they might have an idea of the struggle, and are not comfortable with you doing something so difficult because then they cant focus their energy on you and what judgement they might make - they would actually have to think about how will power could better their own life. In my experience most people wish they had more will power in at least one area that is holding them back from perceived "happiness"
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    My mom tells me how I get skinnier every time she sees me, and two hours later comments how I have a big butt. Umm....?

Also I hate the "you don't have to worry about it! Have another slice/bigger piece/dessert/more cheese/eat sausage/etc." After you just sat there wondering out loud how many calories it had and commented on how fattening/unhealthy it was? Really? You made it sound so appetizing. And maybe I'm not hungry any more? Probably my least favourite scenario.
  • crazyten
    crazyten Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My little sister was getting rid of some clothes and she had a men's size small tshirt that I asked if I could keep because i like it and it would be awesome to be able to have it as an inspiration item. (currently in a tightish size medium at 185 lbs with goal of 130-140)

my boyfriend's response: "if you get to the point where you can comfortably wear a small tshirt, i probably wont be attracted to you anymore. that would be too skinny."

well then i guess ill find someone who is attracted to me??

Hahahaha, got something like that from my man, he told me that he felt bones where he has never felt bones before, then went on to warn me not to loose anymore weight or else he is going to bring a fat girl home.........really????
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!