Starting P90X/Insanity in February

Options

Replies

• KISN
    KISN Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm going to (re)start INSANITY today.

I did the fit test LAST March and couldn't walk for a week! I was totally discouraged and the DVD set has been sitting in the DVD rack ever since.

This morning I weighed in at 159 and I'm 5'3". My long-term goal is 135 poinds by September. My short-term goal is a solid 150 (not 151 or 152, but calling it 150) by April 1. My mini goal is 155 by Mar 1.

I am so afraid because I've done this before and thought I was going to need surgery (bad ankles and shins) my legs hurt so bad. This time I'm going to minimize all the jumping and hopping, while still concentrating on form and getting through the entire workout.

I work alternating shift-hours and days, plus I go back to college next month. With a family, career and school, it's going to be a challenge, but with support, I know I can do it.

I'm not all that good with daily logging in to this site and all that stuff, but if anyone out there can lend their support, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I'm in Honolulu right now. So if you're local, that would be a bonus!

I haven't eaten yet and prefer to exercise on an empty stomach. I'm getting hungry, so I'm about to do the fit test right now and earn my breakfast!

Best of health and well-being to all,

KISN
  • f1tforever
    f1tforever Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow just finished the fit test! Not as hard as I expected -- I think I freaked myself out by reading all the reviews. Its basically interval training (the fit test). It was realllly hard and the push up jacks were impossible for me . But I feel great now and really looking forward to the next 60 days :D
  • proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    Wow just finished the fit test! Not as hard as I expected -- I think I freaked myself out by reading all the reviews. Its basically interval training (the fit test). It was realllly hard and the push up jacks were impossible for me . But I feel great now and really looking forward to the next 60 days :D

Awesome! Sounds like you nailed it. How many reps did you do in the fit test?
  • f1tforever
    f1tforever Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Switch kicks : 118 (i counted each kick -- but I don't think I kicked high enough)
    Power jacks - 52
    Power knees - 88
    power jumps - 34 (these were soo hard! I also don't think I was jumping high enough)
    Globe jumps - 9
    Suicide jumps - 16
    Push-up jacks - 12 (so embarrassing ...I can't even do 3 push-ups, let alone add a jumping jack to it lol)
    Low Plank Oblique - 37 (i counted each leg)

I should really take a before picture . and get a measuring tape
  • andi12c
    Options
    Hi all! I just finished day 3 of week 1 of insanity. I tried to do the program before but never had the motivation to stick through it until the end -even though I was getting great results. This time around I really want to hang in there through the whole 60 days, I just hope I can stay motivated!
  • bodylanguage
    Options
    I just did my 4 th day of p90x today. Hoping I stick with it cuz it's tough! I'm used to going to the gym at my own pace so this is a challenge. My son has insanity, that's more his speed, not mine :) but good luck to all u insanity peeps!
  • proton77
    Options

Switch kicks : 118 (i counted each kick -- but I don't think I kicked high enough)
    Power jacks - 52
    Power knees - 88
    power jumps - 34 (these were soo hard! I also don't think I was jumping high enough)
    Globe jumps - 9
    Suicide jumps - 16
    Push-up jacks - 12 (so embarrassing ...I can't even do 3 push-ups, let alone add a jumping jack to it lol)
    Low Plank Oblique - 37 (i counted each leg)

I should really take a before picture . and get a measuring tape

Good job! Yes, you should take a before picture and start tracking the inches :)
  • proton77
    Options
    Hi all! I just finished day 3 of week 1 of insanity. I tried to do the program before but never had the motivation to stick through it until the end -even though I was getting great results. This time around I really want to hang in there through the whole 60 days, I just hope I can stay motivated!

Yes, this is it. you can do it!
  • proton77
    Options
    I'm going to (re)start INSANITY today.

I did the fit test LAST March and couldn't walk for a week! I was totally discouraged and the DVD set has been sitting in the DVD rack ever since.

This morning I weighed in at 159 and I'm 5'3". My long-term goal is 135 poinds by September. My short-term goal is a solid 150 (not 151 or 152, but calling it 150) by April 1. My mini goal is 155 by Mar 1.

I am so afraid because I've done this before and thought I was going to need surgery (bad ankles and shins) my legs hurt so bad. This time I'm going to minimize all the jumping and hopping, while still concentrating on form and getting through the entire workout.

I work alternating shift-hours and days, plus I go back to college next month. With a family, career and school, it's going to be a challenge, but with support, I know I can do it.

I'm not all that good with daily logging in to this site and all that stuff, but if anyone out there can lend their support, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I'm in Honolulu right now. So if you're local, that would be a bonus!

I haven't eaten yet and prefer to exercise on an empty stomach. I'm getting hungry, so I'm about to do the fit test right now and earn my breakfast!

Best of health and well-being to all,

KISN

You could try to modify the moves a bit just so you don't kill yourself or get hurt again :) Do some extra stretching beforehand and let us know your fit test result :)
  • proton77
    Options
    Completed Day 4 Cardio Recovery last night. It was a slow paced workout. Reminded me of the Yoga X in P90X. It works more on your core, balance and stretches than cardio. I added some Back and Biceps from P90X in the end. I would feel that I'm slacking if I didn't do more.
  • razor_fever
    razor_fever Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started P90X again. Finished my 4th day. I've done it before, and I don't follow their schedule. Basically I'll do two days of Strength Training, a day of Cardio or Plyo, 2 more days of Strength Training, Cardio X, then off. Sometimes after work I'll add in a 10 Minute Trainer workout too.

After three weeks of that schdule I'm going to run through the P90X Plus Workouts for a week, then start over.
  • M12W
    M12W Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to read the post that someone hadn't lost weight with Insanity but inches. I am on Week 5, Recovery week and haven't lost but a very few pounds. I have ate right and know the lack of weight loss must be the Insanity. I look smaller and feel smaller but don't weigh less. MUST be building muscle but so discouraged by the scales.
  • mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    Hi all, I finished insanity just before xmas and am now just into phase 2 of p90x, anyone wants support or just general chat about either of these 2 programs feel free to add me
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to read the post that someone hadn't lost weight with Insanity but inches. I am on Week 5, Recovery week and haven't lost but a very few pounds. I have ate right and know the lack of weight loss must be the Insanity. I look smaller and feel smaller but don't weigh less. MUST be building muscle but so discouraged by the scales.

Did you take your measurements before? It's important to do that since the scale won't necessarily move. I took mine and so far I've lost 1/2 an inch on my waist, 3/4 of an inch on my hips, GAINED 3/4 of an inch on my quad and lost some inches on my chest but I don't think I measured that correctly to begin with. For me the scale hasn't moved either however the inches lost says a lot. I just finished the second week of month 2 which is way more kicked up than month 1.
  • razor_fever
    Options
    My wife is joining me for Insanity on 2/4. Since I've done a round of P90X, I "think" I can do it. Just so I can help set my wife's expectation, what would you say to a female who hasn't done any intense workout like such?

But if it was me and i thought she wasn't ready or willing to jump in, i'd just encourage her to do something less aggressive because its really still 90% what you eat and 10% what you do no matter what you are doing. I've done a round or two of insanity or aslyum and seen very little results because i wasn't to concerned with my diet.

Maybe she could start off with the 10 Minute Trainer series. They're kinda tough but it's only 10 minutes. That could give her a good start to working out.

And yeah, diet is HUGE. I was stuck at 210 for over a year, even while working out consistently. Started watching my diet, and I'm down 7 pounds in a month with no muscle loss
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Maybe she could start off with the 10 Minute Trainer series. They're kinda tough but it's only 10 minutes. That could give her a good start to working out.

And yeah, diet is HUGE. I was stuck at 210 for over a year, even while working out consistently. Started watching my diet, and I'm down 7 pounds in a month with no muscle loss

idk, just seems like people might be able to get really great results and not have to work that hard.

If you do insanity and you finish it, great!

If you do it and you quit but move on to something else, no problem!

If you quit and you get so frustrated you stop exercising altogether, problem!

How do you know there was no muscle loss?
  • razor_fever
    Options

idk, just seems like people might be able to get really great results and not have to work that hard.

If you do insanity and you finish it, great!

If you do it and you quit but move on to something else, no problem!

If you quit and you get so frustrated you stop exercising altogether, problem!

How do you know there was no muscle loss?

I just suggested the 10 Minute Trainer as a way to jumpstart her exercise program, if she's not used to it. That's all. I think it'd be better to do that for a few weeks, then jump into insanity and get overwhelmed.

As for the "no muscle loss", my waist is smaller, and my arms, chest, and legs (thighs) haven't changed. So yeah maybe I lost some muscle somewhere, but it was minimal.
  • rzikeer1
    Options
    I am on day 2 of the first week of insanity and I started with two weeks of 10 minute trainer... i am by no means in shape it has been tough but if you stick with it you will start to see results!
  • rzikeer1
    Options
    How have you fared so far on insanity after p90x? I have heard many say there is no comparison
  • jveev
    jveev Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started p90X on Sunday. We are the opposite of physically fit! We are doing what we can, do your best and forget the rest right?? Everything in my body hurts and today is only day 3....

I am doing a hybrid caloric goal between the P90X recommendation and what this site says... We'll see what happens, the weight is coming off very slowly....I guess I could be gaining muscle right?? fingers crossed!