Starting P90X/Insanity in February

Options

Replies

• AltaicaTigre
    AltaicaTigre Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I am considering getting P90X, I have done weights forever, have been doing high intensity weights for the past 2 months, can do the eliptical now for 30 min with no hands on the bars and 5lb weights in my hands pumping the entire time. I've never been a runner. I'm 6'3", 265lbs trying to get down to 210. I've never done any workout programs like this before. Should I give it a shot? Should I do something else before I even try? You guys make it sound hard as heck and I don't want to over do it. Advice? Cheerleaders (support)? lol
  • LSotham
    LSotham Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started P90X Lean yesterday. I'm 5'2" and 123 lbs. My main goal is to work on lowering my body fat percentage (I've got a lot of jiggles left over from having 2 kids). I had to stop after 6 weeks of P90X Classic in November because of wrist issues. I'm hoping that following the lean program there won't be quite as many push ups - those are death on the wrists. I did start to see results using the program before though, so hopefully I do again.
  • razor_fever
    razor_fever Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am considering getting P90X, I have done weights forever, have been doing high intensity weights for the past 2 months, can do the eliptical now for 30 min with no hands on the bars and 5lb weights in my hands pumping the entire time. I've never been a runner. I'm 6'3", 265lbs trying to get down to 210. I've never done any workout programs like this before. Should I give it a shot? Should I do something else before I even try? You guys make it sound hard as heck and I don't want to over do it. Advice? Cheerleaders (support)? lol

P90X is tough but not impossible. When my buddy turned me on to it a few years back, I kind of laughed. I was thinking "workout DVDs? How hard can they be?" ha ha after the first two weeks I was pretty sore.

But I got through it. I lost a few pounds but added muscle to my legs/shoulders/arms. It's a good workout. I'd recommend it.
  • proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    My wife is joining me for Insanity on 2/4. Since I've done a round of P90X, I "think" I can do it. Just so I can help set my wife's expectation, what would you say to a female who hasn't done any intense workout like such?

But if it was me and i thought she wasn't ready or willing to jump in, i'd just encourage her to do something less aggressive because its really still 90% what you eat and 10% what you do no matter what you are doing. I've done a round or two of insanity or aslyum and seen very little results because i wasn't to concerned with my diet.

Maybe she could start off with the 10 Minute Trainer series. They're kinda tough but it's only 10 minutes. That could give her a good start to working out.

And yeah, diet is HUGE. I was stuck at 210 for over a year, even while working out consistently. Started watching my diet, and I'm down 7 pounds in a month with no muscle loss

She actually have started and done 3 days of Insanity so far. She's handling it quite well :)
  • proton77
    Options

P90X is tough but not impossible. When my buddy turned me on to it a few years back, I kind of laughed. I was thinking "workout DVDs? How hard can they be?" ha ha after the first two weeks I was pretty sore.

But I got through it. I lost a few pounds but added muscle to my legs/shoulders/arms. It's a good workout. I'd recommend it.

Agreed. There's no pre-requisite really to start P90X. I, too, didn't have any workout as intense as P90X before I started but I got through it and lost 22 lbs. The great thing about P90X is you can modify the moves a bit to your fitness level and more importantly, you "do you best, and forget the rest!". :)
  • proton77
    Options
    My husband and I started p90X on Sunday. We are the opposite of physically fit! We are doing what we can, do your best and forget the rest right?? Everything in my body hurts and today is only day 3....

I am doing a hybrid caloric goal between the P90X recommendation and what this site says... We'll see what happens, the weight is coming off very slowly....I guess I could be gaining muscle right?? fingers crossed!

Congratulations on starting your P90X journey!
  • proton77
    Options
    How have you fared so far on insanity after p90x? I have heard many say there is no comparison

INSANITY is well...insane! :) At least the cardio part. P90X Plyometrics gets your heart rate up but not over a long period of time. Insanity on the other hand is max internal workout and it keep your heart rate very high most of the time. However, it's not as a balanced program as P90X because it doesn't have as much resistance training. I'm adding P90X resistance a few days a week so that I can at least maintain my muscles.
  • MrsNHayes
    Options
    I'm currently 2 weeks into my 2ND round of P90X. I've just ordered Insanity. My wife and sister in-law who have seen my round one results were so pumped up that they too wanted to join me.

Anyone else who are already doing either P90X and/or Insanity, feel free to join here to hold each other accountable :)

I'm finishing up Shaun T's Rockin body! My husband and I plan on starting P90x and if we get through that I want to move on to Insanity!
  • proton77
    Options
    I did the Day 5 Pure Cardio workout last night. My heart was beating so far and I was sweating like crazy. But I felt really good after that :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    what day do you end on? i'm going to be starting Asylum 2 april 1st
  • proton77
    Options
    I should be done around 4/2. Have you already done Asylum 1?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Yup
  • SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 6th week of P90X Classic (Day 38). This is my first time attempting a program like this.

I'm 6'1" and started off at 225 lbs. I'd been this size before, maxing out at 227/228. I'd gotten down to 190 by running 3 times a week, doing very basic push up and sit up routines, and calorie cycling. But I lost focus, stopped exercising, and eventually put all the weight back on.

I'd been wanting to try P90X but also wanted to prove to myself that I could get back into the groove of working out regularly before plopping down the money for the program. Well, I never really did that but I got it as a Christmas gift and started the program on New Years Eve and have been following it religiously.

I have been a little frustrated though. I was definitely getting in better shape and building muscle but I wasn't losing ANY weight. None. I figured that maybe the exercise combined with the diet was creating TOO big of a calorie deficit and I was stalling out my metabolism so last Thursday I started adding around 400-500 (healthy) calories a day to my diet. I gained 1 1/2 lbs initially but since Saturday, I've lost 4 1/2 lbs and 1.5 inches in the waist (after losing only 2 in the first 5 weeks). Yay!

That's kind of a short time period to make assumptions on, but hopefully I was right and now that I've added in a couple hundred calories to my diet (still running a deficit), the weight will start coming off regularly and my body will start burning off more fat.
  • SecretAgent27
    Options
    I started P90X Lean yesterday. I'm 5'2" and 123 lbs. My main goal is to work on lowering my body fat percentage (I've got a lot of jiggles left over from having 2 kids). I had to stop after 6 weeks of P90X Classic in November because of wrist issues. I'm hoping that following the lean program there won't be quite as many push ups - those are death on the wrists. I did start to see results using the program before though, so hopefully I do again.

If you have wrist issues, you can always try using push up bars.
  • SecretAgent27
    Options

Agreed. There's no pre-requisite really to start P90X. I, too, didn't have any workout as intense as P90X before I started but I got through it and lost 22 lbs. The great thing about P90X is you can modify the moves a bit to your fitness level and more importantly, you "do you best, and forget the rest!". :)

P90X is good about giving you options. If you need to take breaks, push pause and take a break. If you can't keep up with the people on the video, don't worry about it. If you need to modify the move, then modify it and they'll usually show you how. Start off doing what you can do and you'll improve over time. Plyo X is probably the hardest workout and I remember how much I struggled in week 1. But every time I do it, I notice at least one thing I'm doing better than I did the last time. There's only one move now I really struggle with (squat jacks), but other than that, I can do every move for the entire time period, though not always at the same pace they do on the video . . . .yet. I just did Plyo for the 5th time yesterday and I'm kind of amazed at how much progress I've made since the first time I did it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I have been a little frustrated though. I was definitely getting in better shape and building muscle but I wasn't losing ANY weight. None. I figured that maybe the exercise combined with the diet was creating TOO big of a calorie deficit and I was stalling out my metabolism so last Thursday I started adding around 400-500 (healthy) calories a day to my diet. I gained 1 1/2 lbs initially but since Saturday, I've lost 4 1/2 lbs and 1.5 inches in the waist (after losing only 2 in the first 5 weeks). Yay!

thats awesome, keep us posted on how that works out for you.

whats that put your total cals at now if you don't mind my asking?
  • rhodyl
    Options
    How do I record Insanity workout on my exercise log?
  • proton77
    Options
    I'm in my 6th week of P90X Classic (Day 38). This is my first time attempting a program like this.

I'm 6'1" and started off at 225 lbs. I'd been this size before, maxing out at 227/228. I'd gotten down to 190 by running 3 times a week, doing very basic push up and sit up routines, and calorie cycling. But I lost focus, stopped exercising, and eventually put all the weight back on.

I'd been wanting to try P90X but also wanted to prove to myself that I could get back into the groove of working out regularly before plopping down the money for the program. Well, I never really did that but I got it as a Christmas gift and started the program on New Years Eve and have been following it religiously.

That's kind of a short time period to make assumptions on, but hopefully I was right and now that I've added in a couple hundred calories to my diet (still running a deficit), the weight will start coming off regularly and my body will start burning off more fat.

Welcome! You almost half-way through. What's your current weight and how tall are you?
  • proton77
    Options

Go to the "Exercise" tab and then Add Exercise. You'll have to manually create the exercise. Do you have a heart rate monitor? That will let you know how much calorie you burn given the period of the workout. If you really want to track the calorie burned, try to be as accurate as possible.

I normally don't enter my workout until I was about to go to bed. Reason being by entering the calories burned from exercise will screw up your calories and macronutrient projection especially when you're going to eat after the workout.
  • proton77
    Options

Go to the "Exercise" tab and then Add Exercise. You'll have to manually create the exercise. Do you have a heart rate monitor? That will let you know how much calorie you burn given the period of the workout. If you really want to track the calorie burned, try to be as accurate as possible.

I normally don't enter my workout until I was about to go to bed. Reason being by entering the calories burned from exercise will screw up your calories and macronutrient projection especially when you're going to eat after the workout.