WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've caught up with the thread and actually have a little bit of time to respond. WhooHoo

Had to mail in my Polar heart monitor for a new battery. Amazing how lost I feel without it. How do you estimate calories burned without one?

The wind was really blowing last night and I woke up to snow (Sue I'm jealous of your 72 degrees!). All the racket kept me up and our bigger dog was scared of all the noise so wanted into the bedroom with us - she snores so sleep was hopeless. I did get a workout in and had a nice hot bowl of oatmeal with fresh fruit so I'm off to a good start at least

:smile: Ohiomom - how are you doing today...feeling back to normal after the procedure?

:smile: Meg - glad to hear you are feeling better

:smile: Lucy - you are a good friend...your friends BF is something not so nice

:smile: Barbie - good luck at your Dr. apt, hopefully its no big deal.

:smile: Dixie - You don't know me but I am sorry for you loss and am glad you are back

:smile: Dee Dee - rest up and feel better soon

:smile: jmkmomm - congrats on the size 16 - feels so good to fit into smaller jeans

:smile: Lilla - I love Amsterdam. I had to spend a month in Europe for work. Thank goodness for Skype - I really missed the family and it was nice to "see" them. I was a bit odd talking to them just as they were getting up and I was finishing my day

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday! Jodios
  • petalsandpaws
    Options
    Yep, it's Tuesday all right.. I finally caught up on all the posts for the last couple of days. WOW, to all with challenges, stay the course and be kind to yourselves. You all are aweome women an all of us learn from each other.
    They are forcassting snow here tomorrow so will get out and enjoy today. One thing about here, is snow today gone in a couple of hours and the sun back out shinning. It truely does make one feel better.

Still haven't found my stride yet in planning menus and eating in a timely fashion. I tend to wait to long and then get to hungry and just eat what is available. SO for today, I am planning the old chicken breast and brussel sprouts. If you have't tried brussel sprouts sliced lenght ways in a salad or still fried, you don't know what you aremissing. YUM-O!!

Going to the club house to try out the tread mill today. I have no excuses any longer about no reason to excercise. They have a nice indoor pool here and excercise equipment. So I'm off to get that in for the day.

Wishing and praying for all with health concerns for good outcomes.
    Dixie in AZ
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues.
    Barbie,good luck with the dr.
    DeeDee -feel better.
    My poor friend with the cancer,found out they are denying her short term benefits.Dr doesn`t want her to go back to work for 2 months She could use some prayers.
    Have a good day!
    HUGS
    jane.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Laura: I agree with you totally on the tax issue. Luckily DH assembles it and sends it off to the accountant. I’d like to know more about the book Strong Women Stay Thin. Is it a “how to” stay thin book, an exercise book, or????:smile:

Jodios: I look up calorie burn on MPF. They have information just as they do for food. It may not be as detailed as your monitor, but it works for me.:bigsmile:

Dixie in AZ: I enjoy hearing about your AZ community and would love to know more. I’ll be curious about how summers are. I’m a shade flower. LOL. My cousin is staying in a Senior Community in the Mesa area and seems to love it. He and his wife are currently snowbirds and spend a generous part of the year here. (Grand kids are a big draw.):wink:

Jane: I’m sorry for your friend whose insurance is being denied. It has to really add stress to a bad situation. She has my prayers.:flowerforyou:

It is absolutely gorgeous outside here right now. DH doesn’t feel like getting outside and I’m bored with walking, but I think I’ll take the dog for a walk anyway. It will do both of us good. It is bordering on sinful to waste a sunny day sitting inside when you have a chance to enjoy the sunshine.:flowerforyou:

Katla in sunny NW Oregon
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Laura: I agree with you totally on the tax issue. Luckily DH assembles it and sends it off to the accountant. I’d like to know more about the book Strong Women Stay Thin. Is it a “how to” stay thin book, an exercise book, or????:smile:

Katla in sunny NW Oregon

The book is a how to with eating helps and exercises to do. I'd call it a complete book with all you need. Personally I like the foods I eat right now and until I find my maintenance level for my calories I'll keep doing what I'm doing but the book has some really good guide lines.

It's by the same person that wrote Strong Women Stay Young and Barbie had recommended it and when I saw this book at the used book store thought I'd give it a go.

Once I get to actually doing the exercises I will let you know if I can consider it a success.

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Jane - wow, 109 years old and a cancer survivor. I'm impressed.

jmkmomm - how do you make your salmon burgers?

We left for FL yesterday around 9:30, got here about 7:30. Vince went to the condo to open it and turn on the breakers, only he couldn't get in. His key turned about 1/2 way but not the rest. Neither would my key. Neither would the key that the people who run the condo have. So..we called a locksmith. By the time he got it opened, it was about an hour later. Fortunately, there's nothing wrong with the lock, where it goes into the doorframe Vince filed down. Now it works just fine. Ran to WalMart to get milk and a few other things, didn't get home until midnight.

Went to WinnDixie and got their store card. I THINK I can add that to my Fuel Rewards card. We shall see. Then I went to the Y, seems that this cardio class they have is really a zumba class and I didn't like it last year so I did incline intervals on their treadmill. Different program. Then went to Publix, got veggies. They have these sugar snap peas, asparagus, and peas in small bags. Yes, they are more expensive. But I can't take home frozen peas so 2 servings is just enough. Got some frozen dinners, found these veggie burgers that I want to try along with these spinach cakes that I'd like to try. waaaa...Publix didn't have the Arctic Zero. Well, maybe another Publix will have it.

Liz - your chicken spinach salad sounds great. Would you share the recipe? How did you like the movie?

On the way down here Clyde got stuck under the seat. Unfortunately, I was in front of Vince when he had to pull over. He's thinking that he'll look into renting an RV and towing my car next time we come down. This way, we'll both be in the car. To me, unfortunately, that will mean that I can't listen to my audiobooks.

ohiomom - the procedure is a piece of cake compared to the prep. How'd it go?

grandmallie - wishing you all the best. Say, would having some (like tsp) of apple cider vinegar help? That always squelches any cravings I have.

DeeDee - it's in the 70's today, sunny, upper 70's. I AM enjoying it, and will be sure to bring some back with me. Hey, there'll probably be extra room since I won't have the vacuums in my car. But then again, I WILL have the things I bought while I am down here. Oh, I'll find someplace to fit it!

Mary TN - I, too, find it so so easy to get off the bandwagon. I find the best thing is for me to get back on asap

I'd left 2 boxes of cereal down here (small boxes). I thought they'd be OK since they were factory sealed. But they weren't as crisp, but I ate them anyway. I left a package of gum down here by accident and it was so terrible I threw it out. Now I left some Altoids here by accident and they were fine. I wonder if it's because they were in a tin? Vince upgraded our MiFi so we now get 4G. I also left a few packages of True Lemon down here, the packages are soggy but the lemon is still powdery. Go figure!

Welcome everyone new!

M - only good thoughts for your mom

brenda - love your pic

Jackie - congrats on the run. You CAN do it.

jmkmomm - congrats on the smaller size clothing. Pretty soon you'll be giving away those jeans because they are too big on you

Would you believe the BANK down here was open yesterday? We were shocked, to put it mildly.

renny - Vince is a CPA, he uses TurboTax, but he STILL has yet to figure out how TT figures out NC taxes.

DeeDee - so sorry you're sick. Get better fast.

barbie - good thoughts to you for the results. Let us know

jane - how horrible, just horrible, for your friend

Need to get off the computer, Vince needs the MiFi. Apologies to anyone I've missed.

Michele from NC but now in sunny FL
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I am feeling rather stupid as I can't understand the readings on my new pedometer.:embarassed: First of all, it give you steps. OK...I get that. Then it gives you aerobic steps. Still..OK. Then it gives you something called kcal. This is where it gets fuzzy for me. What the heck are kcals and how do I convert them to calories burned? Yesterday I walked around 6400 steps with about 4100 of those being aerobic steps. The kcal number was 116. It can't be only 116 calories burned can it? That's it? I looked it up and one site said you have to multiply the number by 1,000. But that can't be right either, because I can't have burned 116,000 calories. :noway: That seems way too much! So if anyone can help to clarify this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:

Lucy, I have one of those and they are calories. Kcal is a misnomer for this product, which is likely made in Taiwan. I have one where you can set it with your weight (in kg only) and your stride (in cm). It then displays the distance (in km only) and the calories. It cannot count for intensity and whether you are male/female, so calories burned may not be accurate. And silly enough, once you set the weight I cannot seem to be able to change it down (which of course is problematic:bigsmile: ). If I log my exercise on MFP I tend to go with MFP and fudge it one way or another the most reasonable way :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I am thinking of getting a fitbit or HRM for better accuracy, however. Lots of advice on this forum what people have been using.

Renny
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Well there about an hour of reading but my fault I slept in this morning. And I'm on Legion soup and sand. tomorrow. So had to get myself over there with the grocery before my helper showed up at 9:30. Got most of the preps done got back home at 12:30.
    So hopefully people come out tomorrow even in the storm. Suppose to be real bad tomorrow I thought today was. Lots of snow. Mild weather. But lots of snow.

Yesterday and today good diet wise but no exercise other than being busy.

Katla
    The weight I had gained yesterday is gone today. So water retention. Tops tomorrow I want to see a loss.

Meg
    I figure I moved enough to get all those cakes and preps done.
    Today did another good 2 hours of food prep for soup and sand. tomorrow. So it's another on my feet from 7:30 to about 2:00 with very little breaks.

So that's it for tonight. Got four chicken breast ready for meals. Hubby don't care for chicken. So he had steak with onion, mushroom and fried potatoes. I had 3oz chicken with 1 cup of mush and onion. But started with a nice velvety veg soup. I say velvety because I only used a little 2% milk. So not loaded with calories.

See you all lighter.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I didn't make the salmon patties, my Mom did. I wish I had her recipe but I doubt I could make it since I am pretty challenged when it comes to cooking anything. It was the cream sauce that made it so special
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Had to share a Violet story,might make me laugh.
    So we play beauty shop and take turns fixes each others hair.She is busy brushing,when she says,Grandma,you need to dye your hair there`s some white spots in your hair,out of mouths of babes.
    HUGS
    jane
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday to you all!

Thanks to everyone who checked in on me yesterday! I was so tired after my colonoscopy that I slept most of the afternoon, got up to eat and then went back to bed. I think it was partly due to the sedation but mostly because I had to get up at 4:00 to drink the rest of that god-awful stuff! Anyway, I m DONE and don’t have to go back for 5 years so I am a happy camper.

Grandmallie – condolences on the anniversary of your mom’s passing. Sorry to hear that you have to deal with kidney disease but it sounds like you have a good handle on it.

Dee Dee – I hope you feel better soon!

Tammy – I hate plateaus! I hope you move past yours soon.

AmyMGetsFit – Welcome! I also have a weight-loss goal but am more focused on becoming more healthy and fit. Good luck in getting your range of motion back; I had a shoulder injury a few years ago so I know the rehab can be tough.

MTGWW – sorry to hear about your unexpected foot surgery!

Kew – glad you had a good time on your cruise and I can’t say I blame you for indulging a little. You’re right not to beat yourself up about it. We’re all on a journey and sometimes we wander off the path -the key is to get back on track before we completely lose our way.

Mwheatcraft – Sounds like you had a wonderful time visiting with your DD and DGD. Sorry for your mom’s troubles and that she didn’t give you a heads up in time for you to stop and see her. I hope she is feeling better soon!

BetsyAnn – hang in there; spring is not too far away. (I say that as it is snowing again in central Ohio). But I just keep reminding myself that it will be over in a month or so!

Jmkmomm – I hope you are able to convince your DH to have a colonoscopy; sounds like it is really something he should do. My DH has his next Monday – he made me go first so he could “learn” from me.

Jeannie – jealous of you and your Mommy/Daughter weekend! I see my older DD every few weeks but normally she blows in from grad school and is only here for a few hours before she goes back. My younger DD is 1,000 miles away but I will see her in 3 weeks. Can’t wait!

Brenda – how did you manage a 26 pound loss in a month? Wow!

I’ve read the rest of the posts but am just out of time to respond. I hope you all have a terrific evening!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi all from cold Omaha. The wind chill was -10 this morning. But it was sunny and pretty. It’s not my usual grocery shopping day but we are expecting 10-12 inches of snow on Thursday so everyone is already buying out the grocery stores. I got the last gallon of 1% milk. I’m sure they will get more, but holy cow…the storm is not for 2 more days. People must think we are going to be stranded for a week!

Lucy: your friend is lucky to have you. What a nice thing to do for her. Igot nothing to offer re: the pedometer! I doubt I could get one to work!

Jmkmomm: congrats on that nsv! Those jeans will fit nicely soon.

Gail: I’m with you on those crazy taxes. I would love a flat tax. We have rentals, a business, and foreign investments, so our taxes are really complicated. Maybe that’s why they usually don’t get done til October!

Suebedew: jealous of your golfing!

Renny: I was one of the tax complainers! Perspiring from effort is great, from hot flashes…not so great. I don’t know why they are called “flashes”, mine last for hours.

Liz: hope you got some great sleep!

Gail: I love my job too but I have noticed enjoying home much more lately than in the past.

Barbie: of course we are all here for you. No wonder you are anxious…wanting you to come in for the results must be a bit scary. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for good news.

Katla: that is a tough choice, isn’t it? Medicines can be so beneficial but always have some side effect or bad effects. The doctors appointment does sound frustrating…what was the point if you got no help?

Amanda: well I hope you enjoyed your little treat last night! I had some coworkers like yours before and found that doing their work just made them lazier. So I got to sending emails with what was agreed and then they had to do it because I just wouldn’t. I think it helped that I cc’d the boss LOL

DeeDee: Oh I’m so sorry you are sick. This winter seems to be hard on everyone! Your tea should help. Of all people I know that we need to rest and take care of ourselves and I am the worst for not doing it. Sending you virtual chicken soup.

Tammy hope you raise a ton of money!

Nancy: you enjoy all those kids and the skiing!

Laura: strong women stay thin? That sounds interesting. So you and Jane must live pretty close. That’s cool that you have met.

Jodios: our dog snores too. So does DH. Then there’s the 18 year old cat who sleeps by my side…snores. Then there’s one of the “kitty snappers” who sleeps at my feet..snores! I spend many evenings sleeping in the recliner downstairs!

Dixie: I bet it is kind of hard to plan meals for just yourself now. Baby steps, baby steps! Sending good wishes your way!

JaneM: that is awful about your friend and not getting benefits. I’ll keep her in my prayers. You are kind to be such a good friend.

Michelle: we have a grocery store here that does the fuel card too only they changed it. Used to be you got money off gas depending on how much you spent. Now it ‘s only for buying certain items, the kind I rarely buy….processed foods, snacks, etc. Never on meat or produce.

LinC: holy cow that’s a lot of cooking! Take it easy! I bet everyone loves the food though.

Ohiomom: glad to hear you survived the colonoscopy! I hope you are all back to normal tomorrow.

Well ladies the site has gone down twice on me tonight so I’ll end here, Take care everyone and stay warm if you are in the cold winter weather! Meg
  • nonnicee
    Options
    Good evening, ladies. I did a quick scan of the last page of posts. I hope those that were feeling under the weather are on the mend. I hope those that are traveling have safe journeys and a wonderful time at their destination. I hope everyone dealing with doctors and tests have good reports and pass with flying colors.

As you can see from my food diary, I am still battling the sugar demons. I will overcome!!! It is just a matter of time.

Take care, all and g'nite

Mary in TN
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I want to Thank all of you that were so kind and added me to this group. So many of you took the time to drop me a quick note and I’d love to do the same but there are so many I decided to include you all here in this one post. I had a hard time finding this topic/group this evening so any input as to how I can find it more easily would be appreciated. I am still trying to figure out MFP.
    I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I am not a fan of exercising, I love pasta, bread, sweets and cookies, I know, four big NO-NO’s all of which added to my belly bulge ! My goal is to drop 50 to 60 pounds. My usual trend is drop 10 regain 15.
    Age, bad left knee, bad right ankle, bad New York weather and no fitness center where I live (Small farming community) limit my exercising which mainly is walking when the body parts and weather allow it. I suppose I could go chase some cows around the fields but jumping cow chips is not my thing! Eww gross! LOL
    I’m looking for a support group similar to where I’m at in life as I am not a 20 year old, size 2, physically capable of doing Cross fit , P90X, High intensity aerobics, and or insane Insanity work outs! I am looking for a serious approach that works and is within my physical ability.
    I love laughing and having fun and cooking which these days is all on a healthy level. I enjoy sharing new recipes and helping others when ever I can. I still work and don’t always have a lot of computer time but I promise to be supportive to all my fellow weight loss/ healthy life style friends. Lets do this together and May we all reach our goals!
    Regards, Carol
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Carol - now that you've posted to this thread, it will show up whenever you click on My Topics. The one thing you'll need to watch for is that a new thread is opened by someone once we reach 500 posts (or when a new month begins). At the bottom of the final post on an "old" thread, there will be a link to the new thread.

Hope that helps!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Today was a mental disaster for me! Played golf with two very slow ladies and it took us 5 and 1/2 hours. I had taken some snacks but not enough because when I got home I just reverted to old habits and ate whatever I could grab. GRRRRR. Just when I think I've learned something, I find out I haven't.
    To all who are ill, get well soon. DH has had a bad cough for 4 weeks now. The dr put him on a z-pack but it didn't do any good. Today they told him to come in for a steroid shot. Hope that helps.
    Plan to get up tomorrow and start a new day with a new attitude.
    Take care everyone in the bad weather. We're expecting some rain tomorrow and are so thankful as we need it so bad.
    Sue in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :explode: :angry: :mad: :noway: :cry: The news about the bone scan was terrible…..I thought it would be bad when she wanted me to come into the office instead of just mailing the results…….my numbers have gotten worse---not quite to osteoporosis but to osteopenia ….she doesn’t’ know why it should have gotten so bad because I’m doing everything right and she agreed with me that it’s not fair (I’m doing all the things I should be doing---weight bearing exercise, calcium, vitamin D)…..she ordered some more lab tests to check on some other possibilities….I know I’m whining but I haven’t done that in a long time. She did say that because of all the exercise I do that I have better balance and will be much less likely to fall. Jake fixed me a great supper and then washed the dishes and I feel better already.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Tomorrow I’ll go back to thinking about someone other than me…….

:flowerforyou: Jnkmomm, I had my first colonoscopy at age 64 even though my hubby and my doctor had been nagging me and trying to scare me with all the bad things that could happen if I didn’t have the test…..what turned the corner for me was hearing from so many women on this thread who let me know that they had done the test and that none of it was all that bad and that I could live through it…..but I couldn’t face the idea until I was ready……keep encouraging your hubby and say a little prayer that he’ll have a change of heart.

:flowerforyou: Jodios. I stopped wearing my HRM after the band began to give me a rash and the battery died and I couldn’t get it open to replace the battery……since I had so much data about how many calories I burned doing all my familiar workouts, walks, dance classes, etc, I just used that data to figure out the burn and use that information.for future activites

:flowerforyou: Dixie, it takes awhile to get back in the habit of eating well and regularly but it sounds like you are on the right path

:flowerforyou: Katla, I’ve read “Strong Women Stay Young” and “Strong Women Stay Thin” and what I remember most is the strong case that was made for strength training along with a plan to figure out your fitness level and a great strength training workout that could be done without lying down on the floor and without going to the gym and starting at very light weights and building up as your strength improved….There was information about eating but I already had an eating plan that worked,

:flowerforyou: Michele, having the keys not work is one of my greatest sources of anxiety, I’m glad you were able to get in with a minimum of stress.

:bigsmile: Renny, thanks for the explanation of Kcal on the pedometer……my has that information and I ignore it because all I want is the steps and miles.

:flowerforyou: Jane, your Violet sounds so darling……I’d love to meet her

:flowerforyou: Sue, we can both start tomorrow with a new attitude

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Carol- I also live in central New York(about 30 minutes from Syracuse). The weather has not been the best for being outside, but I cross-country ski and will walk in almost any weather as long as I can do it during the day. Unfortunately I often don't get home from work early enough. I have used Leslie Sansone walk DVDs when the weather is bad. They give you a good workout and you don't need any special equipment.
    Small changes can lead to big results in the long run. I hope you can find the right balance that will work for you.

Deb A in CNY
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :yawn: Not sure why, but I felt so out of sorts today. Was tired and grumpy. Will go to bed early and see if it has gone tomorrow. One of the things that bothers me is that I have not lost anymore weight in weeks. Actually, since I started my 10K training. How odd. :grumble: :grumble:

@Barbie - Osteopenia is considered a pre-curser of osteoporosis, right? Often seen in post-menopausal women. Who says you will be prone to fall? You ARE doing everything right. Heck, don't worry about whining to us at all, my friend. You are quite entitled any old time.

@Carol - cooky56ny. I echo what you said "I’m looking for a support group similar to where I’m at in life as I am not a 20 year old, size 2, physically capable of doing Cross fit , P90X, High intensity aerobics, and or insane Insanity work outs! I am looking for a serious approach that works and is within my physical ability." I'd say you found the right place :happy:

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Should be in bed asleep. But not my knees have been hurting all day. Every step hurts. Tomorrow must work but will take it easier on workout.

@Barbie its ok to whine here. We are here for each other.
    @Carol that's what I like about this thread similar phase of life great support system.

Seems like I struggle lately when finishing work st 6 become so hungry I want to pullout my car in and get a sugary snack. My snack of choice has always been in past salty so surprise by this.

Its 2:35am going to try to get some more sleep. So.will be back later.

Liz from idaho