WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

I woke up extra early this morning, not sure why. Tried to snooze a little longer but finally gave up at 4:15 and got out of bed. I hope this means that I will be extra productive today as I have a very long list of things to do at work!

Sue – I hope the steroid shot helps your husband; how aggravating to be sick for so long. I hope today is a better day for you as well!

Barbie – I am so sorry that the news from your bone density test was not good. It really doesn’t seem fair when you are doing all of the right things. Hopefully the new lab results will give you and your doctor some answers.

Deb A – I also use some of the Leslie Sansone videos and find them a nice change from the treadmill during the winter. Of course, I much prefer getting outside but that’s not always possible so I’ve had to find inside alternatives.

I believe that some of you use a Fitbit so am looking for a little advice. I’ve had awful luck with pedometers – bought 3 and none of them count steps consistently. I have heard very good things about the Fitbit and am thinking about buying a fairly “basic” version. The one I’m looking at syncs wirelessly but doesn’t track sleep (which I don’t feel that I need anyway). Any feedback you can share would be appreciated.

To everyone who had a challenging day yesterday, I hope that today is better!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Saving my place for later. Had to get up in the middle of the night to let the dog out. :grumble:

Katla in the dark in NW Oregon
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    All caught up with the reading but no time to respond to all. Hubby works today so need to get his lunch ready. Then get myself ready guess I can call it work going to do my Legion soup and sand. today. I went and double booked myself don't know how i'm going to get out of that. I have an appointment at 11 with my diabetic counsellor and dietician. Should be able to do it. I will look for someone to replace me for 1/2 hour. See I am replaceble lol. And it's volunteering. If I didn't have questions for my dietician I wouldn't bother going. But I want to ask about carbs good and bad. Get some explanations. About apples and bananas they are loaded with carbs.

In any case today will be a good day. Tops tonight so must be good. Want to see under that dreadful number again lol.

See you all lighter.

Linda Northern Ontario.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies and if there are Gents out there hidee ho :smile:
    Well I have been getting up and going to the gym daily but the last couple of days I havent felt 100% I cant put my finger on it, but I still try and do at least an hr at the gym, dont want to lose momentum...
    to those who have had a colonoscopy bless you I have had one and the prep by far is worse than the procedure.. i dont have to go back for 4 yrs .
    I am still eating 1200 calories, I eat fruit but not alot of veggies,I have to get more of those in me for sure..
    I did go to the kidney dr yesterday and numbers are same the disease goes in stages and I am a high 3 there are 5 stages so I am holding my own.. im hoping if my weight continues to drop that by the time I go back I will be able to get off blood pressure meds..
    I want to try and find different foods to try, but my DH doesnt like the way I shop, dont worry he gets his food that he likes, but to get things I like cost a bit more and he wants me to be frugal.. so will have to figure all that out..
    Im hoping all is well with everyone, and the only thing I am craving right now is dorito's... I know I could have some but having them in the house would be dangerous...
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`ve read all the post, just don`t have time to respond to all:sad: ! I`ve got a Dr. appt. this morning, I want whatever I have to be gone as soon as possible, throat still sore, head still stopped up, yet have a runny nose:huh: , still coughing, spikey headaches..yuck:sad: !

Barbie:smile: You have picked many of us up from our low points along the way, we have ranted and you have always been here for us with great info, or just pure kindness. You are allowed to rant to us whenever!!!!! We love you :heart: :flowerforyou: , you`re a great friend!!!!

Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    :sick: DeeDee in NC where the sun is shining today, but it`s cold
  • MindSetBrenda
    MindSetBrenda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    RULE 1: DRINK A GLASS OF WATER BEFORE EACH MEAL: NO EXCUSES
    RULE 2: DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES
    RULE 3: EAT PROTEIN AT EVERY MEAL OR STAY HUNGARY AND GROUCHY
    RULE 4: SLASH YOUR INTAKE OF REFINDED FLOURS AND GRANI
    RULE 5:EAT 30-50 GRAMS OF FIBER
    RULE 6: EAT APPLES AND BERRIES EVERY SINGLE DAY
    RULE 7: NO CARBS AFTER LUNCE
    RULE 8: LEARN TO READ FOOD LABELS
    RULE 9: STOP GUESSING PORTION SIZE
    RULE 10: NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS
    RULE 11: GET RID OF WHITE POTATOES
    RULE 12: MAKE ONE DAY A WEEK MEATLESS
    RULE 13: GET RID OF FAST FOODS AND FRIED FOODS
    RULE 14: EAT A REAL BREAKFAST
    RULE 15: MAKE YOUR OWN FOOD
    RULE 16: BANISH HIGH SALT FOODS
    RULE 17: EAT YOUR VEGGIES, JUST DO IT
    RULE 18: GO TO BED HUNGARY
    RULE 19: SLEEP RIGHT
    RULE 20: EAT SNACKS IN BETWEEN MEALS, DON'T LET YOUR BODY GO INTO STARVE MOOD, IT WILL STORE YOUR FAT IF YOU DO.

I ASO HAD SURGERY AND VERY LIMITED TO WALKING. MY LEFT SIDE IS NUMB FROM THEM DAMMAGING NERVES IN MY BACK. SO I AM GOING TO HAVE TO LOSE WEIGHT WITHOUT MUCH EXERCISE.
    LET'S NOT LET FOOD CONTROL US/WE NEED TO CONTROL FOOD. DEEP DOWN THERE IS A REASON WE WOMEN TURN TO FOOD. STRES STRES STRESS!
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING LOVELY LADIES!!!

Creat goals above by the way :smile:

NEED HELP FRIENDS This is a good news/bad news situation which I would like your input on: I received my new digital scale last night and today is my weekly weigh day. Well, the new scale weighs me nearly 8 lbs. less than my old scale. So how do you suggest I log this at "check in" as it's not really a loss, but it does put me closer to my end goal. Not sure how to proceed, as I don't want to "cheat"? Thoughts?

Brooke from Colorado
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    @Brooke from Colorad, I would make a stop at the Dr's office for a quick weight check or somewhere else with an accurate scale. Then go from there. Adjust whatever scale you want to use with the dr scale. I lived for over 30 years in Colorado. We loved it.

I had my granddaughter for 2 days. She is almost 4. She just got new baby brother and her nose is still a little bent out of shape from the attention now being tipped more toward her brother. So when she is here, my attention is focused on her not so much on me. I didn't get a workout in yesterday at all. But we had fun.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    well I was at the dr's yesterday and they have the slide scale ,where they move the weights on top, and I was 8 lbs more on that one too.
    I bought a digital scale and I weight myself naked:embarassed:
    I am going with my digital scale:wink:
    I just bought strong women stay thin~ thanks for the heads up on that , should get it from amazon within the week..
    hope all is doing well with all of you, going into work at noon today and working until 6.. then home to have veggie dogs in buns, the buns are the killer any suggestions for something different to put them in or low fat buns?
    and what boca burger's taste the closest to real meat?
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to start snowing around 2pm and will make for a crummy commute home...at least it's Hump Day:flowerforyou:

Michele- warm, sun, Flordia....sounds like heaven right now:glasses:

LinC- your dinner sounded wonderful:drinker: :drinker:

Jane-:laugh: gotta love those little ones and their wisdom:laugh:

ohiomom-so glad you survived your colonoscopy:flowerforyou: When I had mine I slept the rest of the day too, just couldn't keep the eyes open...now you don't have to do it again for 5 years and that's a good thing:flowerforyou:

Meg- the storm will be here in Colorado first before it gets to you and I'm just hoping that it has pity on us and waits until the heavy snow comes after I'm home from work...there are too many freeway ramps that go up that I travel and when it snows they get really slippery and I always try to find flater routes to take which takes a lot longer...but shorter than if I get stuck on one of those ramps with a bunch of other people. Glad you were able to get to the store before it was sold out:drinker:

Mary in TN- that sugar demon:explode: can really be a bother...but you will conquer it I'm sure.

Sue in TX- keep logging your food and it will help you when you get those munchies if you log it before you eat it sometimes that helps put the breaks on eating something that you really don't need, especially once you see how many calories you are going to eat....hang in there it just takes practice and time:flowerforyou:

Barbie- we love that you feel you can come and whine here:flowerforyou: guilt free. You are always so full of encouragement that your small bit of whine is nothing. You are in our thoughts and prayers as they run more tests and hoping to find why the results weren't better.

Renny-hoping you find when you awake that your being out of sorts was left behind:flowerforyou:

Liz from ID- hoping your were able to get some sleet:flowerforyou: You know we soooo need our beauty rest, especially at our age:wink:

Linda in N Ontario-:drinker: oh wouldn't it be wonderful if your TOPS weigh in is all you are hoping for, you have been working so hard.

grandmallie-so good to hear that your numbers are holding and that the kidney Dr was able to give you a positive report:flowerforyou: In place of buns and bread hubby and I wrap our sandwiches, burgers and hotdogs in lettuce, a bit messy but we love the crunch and the less calories and carbs:happy:

Brooke from Colorado- :noway: a nine pound difference from your old scale:noway: I'm not sure how I would log that. Maybe weigh myself for a week on the new scale and if it keeps showing the same weight or less then I guess I'd post it. Did you throw away your old scale? You could do a side by side comparison or if you can pop in to a doctors office and see what their scale says then weigh yourself at home with the same clothes and take it from there....:ohwell: do your clothes fit different too?

Snow on the way and I dressed in one of my warmer sweatshirts for work, unfortunately that doesn't keep my hands warm and when I'm working on the computer I have to take breaks to hug my coffee cup to warm my hands but it's a downside of losing weight and if it's between being fat or cold I'm gonna have to go with the cold as I really do like the slimmer person better:blushing:

When everything around you is in chaos and you feel like everything is out of control you know you can control what you eat and as you take control of what you eat you will feel better and can deal with all the rest of the life:flowerforyou:

Everyone have a good day log your food (and if you are having problems eating something you shouldn't...log it before you eat it ...it may change your mind to NOT eat it), drink plenty of water and let's keep moving:drinker:

Laura80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • Katla49
    Options
    Linda in Northern Ontario: I’m curious about what the dietician has to say about bananas and apples. I hope you’ll let us all know.:smile:

grandmalle: I hope you feel back to 100% soon.:flowerforyou:

MindSetBrenda: Welcome to the group.:bigsmile: This is a nice bunch of women. I’m sorry that your health limits your exercise. DH also has health problems. He is able to lose weight, but it comes off much more slowly. Patience is a requirement. :tongue: My rule list is much shorter than yours. Log my food, log my exercise, try to remember to log my water.:smile:

Laura: Be careful on your commute. My daughter lives in Longmont. I think she generally enjoys the snow, and it seems to last only a day or two before she has sunshine again. The climate there certainly doesn’t fit my preconceived notions. :huh: I thought winters would be very snowy and they really haven’t been snowy, they've been dry. Temperatures have been warmer than I expected, too. With all the fires last summer, I’ve been thinking that Colorado is likely having a drought and I hope snow will reduce next summer’s fire danger. What ever comes your way, be safe!:flowerforyou:

I have gained a day!!! :bigsmile: Only because I was mixed up, of course.:blushing: I thought today was Thursday, but it is only Wednesday. Now I need to figure out a way to have some fun. :bigsmile: It seems dryish this morning so being outside may be a possibility. There are a few garden chores that I can do, and I like that. Then I'll have to think of something more. Maybe I'll take the dog to Prescott Beach for a walk beside the river.

Have a safe day with some fun in it.:bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I'm trying to be more productive today. I've realized that I've been feeling a bit down the last couple of days. I'm having to deal with closing out my dad's estate. I think the death of my parents has just caught up with me again. I'm trying to be more focused and active today. I know I always feel better if I don't allow myself to wallow.

:flowerforyou: :heart: :cry: Barbie - sorry about your news and don't worry about the letting loose on how it's making you feel...that's what I love about this group - so supportive. Hopefully the rest of the testing will help guide a treatment. One of my friends is on medication and it has been a huge help for her - her bones are actually getting stronger.

:smile: ohiomom - I remember sleeping a lot after my procedure as well and then being starved. Hopefully you feel more like yourself today

:laugh: Meg - you make me laugh. So glad I only have one snorer in the family!

:bigsmile: Carol - I do exercise DVD's in the morning. A while back I discovered collage video. They can give you advice on the types of DVD's that are right for your level and interests. I love that you can watch clips, everything can be returned at no charge if you don't like it and they have great sale prices. I've built up quite a collection over the last year. I also check DVD's out of the library so I have constant variety to keep it interesting. Once the weather gets nice I head out on my bike to the trails but the DVD's help me get through the winter!

:grumble: Renny - hope you feel more yourself soon. I hate that out of sorts feeling

:frown: Liz - sorry to hear your knees are bothering you. Hope you feel better soon

:sick: Dee Dee - hope the doc can help. Feel better soon

:drinker: grandmallie - I like the original boca but I'm currently hooked on their spicy chix patties

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Hi VitF ladies:smile:

Well it is 6 pm here and we are off to see DD No 2 180 miles away. Can"t wait to see GD "s and give them a "cwtch" a Welsh way of saying cuddle,!!

So wont have much time in the next few days, but will try to keep updated.

Keep logging those calories!

Keep smiling
    Jo. :smile: :smile:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I'm getting jealous of so many of you seeing your grand kids. :sad: We just saw ours about 2 weeks ago and we are going to take a trip on their spring break so we see them often. But I think if we saw them any more often it would wear me out. I am so anxious to get into 'onederland'. I figured out if I lost 1 pound a week it will be 13 weeks from now! That's almost June! And then 50 more weeks after that to get to my goal. I have been watching the golf channel all day and they are having a snow storm!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Lin and Meg - stay safe

ohiomom-glad you survived and don't have to go back for another 5 years. I knew you would.

Meg - I like your idea of sending emails toworkers who don't do their job and then cc'ing the boss. The way the fulel perks/rewards work at our grocery stores is that you get a certain amount off for every $100 you spend, of course, there are certain exclusions -- like tobacco, prescriptions, etc. Then if you purchase certain items, you get extra points.

cooky - you'll find this thread under your "my topics" tab, just click on the tab, then the name of this group, and you're here! You've come to a great place where you will find lots of women who are at the same place in exercise you are. I love to cook, too, and find a real challenge to make things healthy, but it can be done. Like ohiomom said, there will be a link to the new thread (which happens almost every month) once the thread reaches 500 posts or when a new month starts.

barbie -that's terrible about your bones, but the good news is that there are drugs you can take to slow the process. I've found that the trick seems to be finding the one that works for you. Right now I'm taking Reclast which goes directly into the bloodstream and the bones. I'd taken Fosamax and Actonel, but it appeared that the fact that first they had to be broken down in the stomach before they could go into the bloodstream wasn't as effective FOR ME. At least you only have osteopenia and not osteoporosis. I'm the same way, exercise (as you know), calcium suppliment and Vit D suppliment, but still have osteoporosis. hmmm....I know that caffeine (which you don't have) is known to leach calcium out of the bones, I'm wondering if protein does too. Have to check into that. On a different note, the Polar HRM is very comfortable around the chest. It's all material just a small transmitter that snaps onto the band. I found that the bad part about the Polar is that the customer service is practically nil and you don't get a full document about it when you get the HRM, I downloaded mine off the Internet. But I could change the batteries myself. Right now I have a Timex, for what I use it for it works for me. User replaceable battery, whcih I absolutely wanted.

DeeDee - feel better fast. Hope the MD helps you

grandmallie - I sometimes put the veggie dogs into a tortilla and wrap that up, sometimes I put it on a slice of bread. I would think that wrapping them in lettuce would be good.

MindSetBrenda - welcome!

yippee! I went to another Publix to get the paper and they carry the Arctic Zero. Bought just one, it's not bad at all. I might very well wind up getting another one before we leave and finish it. That's NOT something I can bring home!

jodios - have you ever ordered DVD's from Amazon? I go to collage video, see the clips, but I find Amazon's prices many times are comparable or lower. But I do like the recommendations at collage video so I check that, then order the DVD from Amazon

jo - have a great time with gd's!

Have a great day everyone.

Michele from NC now in sunny FL
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot. Rare day when I do all the reading and it's still daylight. Feel much better today although it's cold and rainy. Had a productive morning organizing my side-by-side and upright freezers. Made a list of all the meals I had frozen, all the meats, etc and plan to make a word doc so I can keep track of what we use. Did make my hands very cold!!!:huh:

Barbie - sorry to hear about your bone test. There are meds that are effective in building bones so perhaps that will work for you. You're right, you're definitely doing everything right! Please feel free to whine because if you can't whine --- none of us can!

Brooke, Laura and Jane H in Colorado - stay safe in the snowstorm. Also thanks for the encouragement and advice to log in snacks before eating them. I'm going to implement that today. Haven't had a snack yet tho!

Have any of you tried the Healthy Choice Frozen Green Yogurt? My DD told me about it and it's really good. Small serving but that's all I needed.

Got the exercise portion of our "smart" tv to work today. Dang tv is smarter than I am!

Jo - are you in Wales? Your time and mine is about 4 hours apart. Just wondering.

Linda C - crossing my fingers that you reach that goal tonight. Good luck.

I'll BBL

Sue in TX
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!
    Barbie,sorry about your results.
    Dee Dee-hope dr has news for you.
    HUGS
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is appropriate for me to post in here or not but here goes! We are going to go to Gatlinburgh Tn on spring break with the family. I am trying, without results, to find a place that does daily rentals of a mobility scooter. Is there anyone in this group that lives in the area that knows of one or anyone who has done it before? I can rent it here in town for a good price but we are taking the whole family, 7 of us, and we would have to take two cars. Now with 7 in one van it will be crowded but it's not a long drive.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I started my day with a gratitude list of all the healthy qualities I have been blessed with to clean up my thinking that was so negative yesterday……a gratitude list always brings me back to right thinking.

:flowerforyou: Carol, welcome to our supportive community. Many of started this journey right where you are and in time made changes in eating and exercising and attitude toward food----no one changes over night….Just keep coming back and reading, thinking, and posting.

:flowerforyou: Renny, there may be some connection between your training for the race and your not losing weight for awhile……muscles that are working hard retain fluid, new muscles are developing, many other possibilities……just continue your good habits and you’ll find changes on the scale and off.

:flowerforyou: Liz, I had trouble falling asleep and then woke up at 2 AM….I usually read when I can’t sleep

:flowerforyou: Ohiomom, I don’t have a fitbit, but I have an Omron pedometer that I like a lot…….it doesn’t count all my movement when I line dance but is otherwise quite reliable.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, thank you for your kind words…..i hope the doctor has a solution for what ails you…..it sounds so uncomfortable.

:flowerforyou: Brooke, if your new scale says that you weight eight pounds less than the old one, then readjust your goal by making it eight pounds less……in a few weeks you won’t remember what the old scale said and you’ll be used to the new numbers.

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie, why not skip the bun/bread entirely and add two servings of a vegetable to your meal----lots more to eat, more nutrition and fewer calories

:flowerforyou: Laura, have you tried wearing fingerless gloves when you work?

:flowerforyou: Michele, thank you for sharing your experience about the drugs you’ve taken…….I had a Polar HRM and wore it for so long every day that the chest strap was irritating. I learned a lot about perceived exertion and my heart rate and now I’m fine without it…..the battery was supposed to be user replaceable but we couldn’t get the transmitter open to replace the battery.

:flowerforyou: Sue, one of the problems I’m having is that I am very resistant to the idea of adding another prescription drug to my life.

:flowerforyou: Jake leaves tomorrow for a long weekend in Tacoma that involves fun for him and some good friends. I will miss him a lot but I’m also looking forward to having the house to myself for a few days. One of his friends is flying out from NYC for the weekend and will be coming back to our house with Jake on Sunday and staying until Tuesday so some of my weekend will include some house cleaning. I’m going to roast a turkey on Sunday---yum, yum.:bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • Katla49
    Options
    Jodios: I’m sorry for your loss. I thought I was ready when my mom passed, but I wasn’t. It is hard to become an orphan, even when you’re an adult. You have my deepest sympathy.:flowerforyou: :heart:

Barbie: You are a wonder, and I think you’re right to focus on your healthy qualities. Gratitude for one’s blessings is a great mindset. Hopefully your doctor will help you with medications/supplements that keep your bones as strong as possible, for as long as possible. I take Citracal Maximum, four caplets a day, two in the morning and two at night. This is an over the counter supplement that has high doses of calcium citrate and vitamin D3, and was recommended to me by my gynecologist when I went through “the change.” He said his wife takes it. :bigsmile: The bone doctor didn’t suggest anything more.

Our weather tuned the corner, and is now cold and rainy. :ohwell: I didn’t get out for another walk in time to catch the last of the dry weather, but I did ride the recumbent in the garage. I’m trying to decide between going to a Tom Grant concert locally tomorrow night, and going to Astoria this weekend to see the fishermen poets. I thought we’d do both,:bigsmile: but DH wants me to choose one or the other.:noway: Does anyone have an opinion?

Katla in NW Oregon