WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ditto previous posts:

To all that are physically ailing, feel better soon!

To those that are dealing with issues of the psyche, know that (always) this too shall pass.

For anyone facing professional challenges, know that the best is yet to come. If an opportunity passed, it simply means that there is a better one to come.

Anyone grieving a loss, take solace in happy memories (and make more of your own!).

If you're dealing with inclement weather, remind yourself (as I did earlier today) "shoveling snow is great cardio"!

Sleep tight (or happy Friday morning),
    Brooke from Colorado
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: congratulations on your weight loss!! Woo-Hoo! You did all the right things and didn’t give up. Time for a treat--new clothes, a book, something for the home, make up and beauty supplies …:wink::bigsmile:

Linda C: I open a word document, make it about 1/3 the width of the screen and drag to the right side with MFP open on the left. Then I click back and forth between the two. I click onto my word document to write responses while I’m reading each post. I click back to MFP to read the next post, and so on. When I’m done, I highlight all my notes, click on the green reply button on the bottom of the MFP page and paste my responses into MFP. There I add flowers and such. If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it.:flowerforyou: Just practice.:smile:
    Thanks for your explanation about slow and fast acting carbs. That makes so much sense to me. DH is diabetic and has been since before we married 42 years ago. You’d think I’d have gotten that by now, but your explanation was just right. :flowerforyou:

brookehe: I had enough snow to shovel about two years ago. I do remember that a woman needs to pace herself. The snow we get around here is usually wet and extremely heavy.:grumble:

It has been an odd day for me, with low energy. I’m under my calorie goals, but I just can’t put together enough energy to go out and exercise. I guess I’m going to take a day of rest. Stay safe and warm.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ok, other than logging my food (and too much of it) I've not had time to read much on the boards. So . . . I just read several pages and I didn't see one "Hey Cheryl, where did you go??" Doesn't anyone miss me? :happy:

Positive Power - admitting to lying on a resume is never a good idea, although lying on one usually is acceptable. Half the people my company hires haven't done half the things that are on their resumes.

Dee Dee hope you feel better soon.

Laura - a cocktail instead of exercise - you deserved it.

Jodio - I too am in Illinois waiting for the snow to come. Also, so sorry for the loss of your parents. Where does your daughter go to school?

Michelle, I'm coming to your house for a week to get me back on track.

Barbie I am going to have to do a gratitude list because I have been stuck in a slump from gaining weight and internalizing the grief of all the families who have lost young lives in my neighborhood in the last few weeks. I need something to pick up my spirits and get motivated to keep losing. Especially since I threw out all my clothes that are larger than a size 10.

MebBlair - glad you caught up on your sleep.

I truly hope when the weather warms up and I can ride regularly again, then I will get back on track and headed for my size 8!!

Cheryl - north of Chicago
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi again trying real hard to keep up this is my third time today. I had a very good diet and dance day today. Move move move.

Colleen
    There is a way of splitting the page and I know the girl who teaches about computers at library and I believe it is free. I'm going to go for help for a few things.

Rori
    Your welcome and i'm more than willing to share what my dietician says.
    I found many good tips at Cooking tips to cut fat and calories.
    http://weiht loss. about .com.

Well time for my bedtime snack and my game of spider solitaire and to bed.

Linda in northern ontario.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options

brookehe: I had enough snow to shovel about two years ago. I do remember that a woman needs to pace herself. The snow we get around here is usually wet and extremely heavy.:grumble:

Katla in NW Oregon

Yes, you are so right! Slow and steady wins the race with this today. We've been in drought here, so the moisture is definitely a blessing. I took extra time to "mound" the snow up around the base of my trees so they will get a slow release of moisture (poor things!). So my yard looks kinda crazy but my trees will be happy! Where I live I only have to shovel 1 or 2 times a year (it usually melts within a day), so I really can't complain - - and who would listen if I did???? :wink:

Rest well all,
    Brooke from Colorado
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Cheryl- I had wondered where you had gone, but I mostly lurk. I don't seem to have too much time to actually post. This winter has wreaked havoc on my motivation and energy level. I just can't seem to get moving! I am holding steady in weight, but want to lose another 10.Maybe we can push each other!!

DeeDee- So sorry to hear you are so sick!! Hope you feel better very quickly!!

Michele- Florida sounds so good right now! It has been cold and windy here. Looking forward to spring.

Good night all. Need to get some sleep so I can get busy tomorrow. I am cleaning out my DD's room. I am hoping to turn it into an office- needs paint, a new rug, storage, and a comfy chair!
    Deb from CNY
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hey look I can keep up if I check in 3 times a day :laugh: Had a Great Cozmosize class....he told us we needed to get out of our comfort zones...WOW we did it!!!!! I could hardly catch my breath!!!

Robin ~ Yikes hang in there!!!! Nothing lasts forever, I hope things get better for you soon. You don't deserve to be treated badly! :flowerforyou:
    Meg ~ YIPPPPPPEEEE!! Congrats to you on your loss! Sounds like you are really making some positive changes!! Keep it up
    Cheryl ~ I know you're right! I'm not good at lying so I just thought it would be best to fess up quick. If I said nothing they probably won't have had the patience to find out the truth since it was so long ago!!!! Oh well like I sad it's meant to be. I am lucky I do have a good job..OK I have a few knuckleheads I work with but I can handle them:tongue:

Well here comes another hot flash!!! Time to go outside and cool off :laugh: Gotta go put Dad to bed :heart: :heart:

Night Night ~ Judy So Cal :glasses:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My goodness - so many Vitamin Fs need some Vitamin C!! Hope all those ailing soon feel better.

Another long day at work, getting home at 9p again. My eyes are tired after looking at the computer screen, so the quilt binding still isn't done. Maybe on the weekend.

Will catch up on posts again tomorrow.

Gail, in rainy/windy ATL
  • KNAMsMum
    Options
    Many thanks for all the "cholesterol" comments and support. Special thanks to Renny, Michele,Barbie and Laura.

* And Laura - woo hoo! I can't imagine being 1.4 lbs away from your goal weight?!?!? A job well done I might add!

*Brooke - thank you for giving shovelling its proper due! I was able to calculate calories used when I was shovelling
    out from under and it was great - wouldn't have been able to go to the gym even if I had wanted to!

Barbie - I can't say enough about gratitude lists - they can change my foul mood just like that !!! I have done lists of 100
    using the same techique and the end results are always so lovely. It is definitely a habit worth pursuing!

*Hey Judy what is "cosmosize"

Wishing you all a restful Thursday night or morning depending where you live.

Sara from Toronto
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Gratitude lists - are the best...for me today it is all about: taking it one-day-at-a-time:

no wanna plan...no wanna think...no wanna worry...

just wanna appreciate...just wanna be...just wanna love...
  • lua620
    lua620 Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi. I would love to join in on this thread. I'm 59 and have 25 #'s to lose but I'd be just as happy with 20. I guess I'll see how it goes. It's late, I'm going to bed. I will check in again tomorrow. Congrats to all on your wight loss. Let's do this together.

Good night all.

LuAnn
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Hi Ladies....drink the water and have a good Friday!!:glasses:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sara, I take a prescription drug for cholesterol....my high cholesterol is genetic, not based on my eating, weight, and exercise.....that was a great blow to me.....I guess I'll just deal with this one day at a time

:flowerforyou: Amanda, one of the things the doctor told me before the bone density scan was that she thought I was too thin and should gain some weight.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: DeeDee, what a shock to find out that you have pneumonia
    I had that twice when I was in my 50's and working full time......it took days of rest and antibiotics to get over it.

:flowerforyou: Lucy, going to bed earlier has helped me get up earlier.

:flowerforyou: Laura, be extra careful on your commute

:flowerforyou: Jackie, I'm not obsessive about the oil in peanut butter, but I understand the feeling because I'm obsessive about so many other things......Jake has learned to ignore my obsessions and not try to change me.

:cry: Judy, sorry to hear about the job, but it was a good lesson learned....it's their loss....and there's a better job out there that you just don't know about yet.

:heart: Robin, sending hugs to you

:flowerforyou: colleen, I don't actually split the page, but I have MFP open and a word document open and I can read a post and then click on the tap for my reply document and write what I want and then go back and forth between them.

:flowerforyou: Cheryl, I missed you.....writing a gratitude list is a great way to focus on the positive

:flowerforyou: LuAnn, you are now a part of our friendly community.....come back regularly, read the posts and reply with a comment or a question or tell us about yourself.

:flowerforyou: Jake has gone to Tacoma for the weekend......his friend won't get there until tomorrow morning so Jake had time at the fitness center this afternoon.....he's called me three times since noon and then headed for bed early........this is the night for phone calls....I talked to my cousin who complains all the time at 8:30 and I'll talk to my friend in California at 9:30(she's the one who says about all of life's difficulties "Come from a place of love.")
    so I won't be getting to bed too early.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

@Robin hang in there so sorry you are going through such a hard time.
    @Dee pneumonia yuk so sorry --- feel better soon.
    @Laura careful on your travels
    @Meg Yay! On your loss --
    @Lin, @Jackie learning a lot about Pb

DH is sick with the flu. Hoping he keeps it to himself. Looking forward to the weekend no special plans meeting up with friends to night and going out. But other than a few chores to catch up on that's it. Looking forward to a simple weekend

Well I need to get going wishing everyone a good Friday!

Liz
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Robin:smile: So sorry the job didn`t come through:cry: ! Hang in, hopefully things will get better!!! Keeping you in my prayers! Hope you get to feeling better!

Cheryl:smile: I missed you too:sad: , where did you disappear to:huh: ????

Michele:smile: Maybe if I was in FL I wouldn`t be sick:glasses: , or maybe I could just bake it out of me in the sunshine!!! Have a great time!

Renny:smile: Love your post!!!

Barbie:smile: Sounds like you had a busy night of phone calls, I love that "all of life`s difficulties come from a place of love". I think that is so true, yet so very hard to see sometimes! I laughed about Jake learning to ignore your obessions, my hubby was like that too:heart: , he loved me just as I am:heart: , and didn`t want to change me...I still miss him so much:cry: ! It just makes my heart so happy to see couples like you and Jake, a perfect match:love: ! Enjoy every moment the two of you share!!!

Liz:smile: Hope your hubby gets to feeling better soon!!! A simple weekend so wonderful!!!

I think my body is trying to tell me something, first I come down with pneumonia and then last night I decided to do a few squats while I was putting dishes in the dishwasher, well evidently I`ve pulled a muscle in my calf:huh: , it hurt something awful by the time I went to bed...I was hoping this morning it would be gone:grumble: , darn I can hardly walk this morning:noway: . It`s time to take the doggie out for a little walk, it will be interesting to see how that goes:frown: .

I`ll try to check back later, there are so many posts I would love to respond to, yet I always run out of time, maybe instead of napping today, I`ll get on the computer. I have read all the posts and I keep you all in my prayers!!! Thank you all for the well wishes!!!

Have a wonderful day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cold, rainy, and a bit icy NC
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good morning just here for my usual dose of vit. F I take it more faithful than my metformin lol. I sometimes forget it. But already took it this morning.
    Cold today so another day of some kind of indoor activity. Hope it gets milder soon so I can get out walking. This cold is suppose to break tomorrow. And I will welcome it with open arms.
    I might head out to the cottage after the grandkids hockey games tomorrow and come back to town for tops on Wed. But I will have to make a quick run to town Monday morning to have my A1C done. Blood work.

Katla
    My dietician is very young and I like the way she explains things in layman terms so that an old girl like me can understand.

Deedee
    Right now the posting can wait. You have a sick body to mend and it will appreciate a good nap much more than sitting in front of the puter. take care of the only person that matters YOU.

Barbie
    My man has to put up with a lot of my stupidity is what he calls it. This morning when I told how good my blood sugars are. he says yep pills are working. I said hey i'm working at it with healthy eating and exercise. It's not that it's the pills. He takes so many pills for this and that. I'm sure they are ruining his health. I on the other hand hate pills.

I have a window sill full of vit. instead of doctor prescribed pills like my Milk thistle for liver. vit. D with calcium. Sooner take that when sun deprived than a depression pill from the doctor. Stuff like that erks him. But been married 42 years not about to trade him in. He laughs at me when I dance to a good tune. Well so be it. Don't like go for coffee lol.

To all of you under the weather the week end is here make it a you weekend and take care of what ails you.

Today is Friday start planning your weekend menu. Weekends are the toughest. But having a good weekend can be done.

Good luck to all. And to all a great day.
    See you all lighter.

Linda from the great white Northern Ontario.
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    So nice to read and get caught up with everyone. Connections make it easier to stay focused... and as they say, eat the elephant one day at a time.... stay focused, drink my water, remind myself that I'm really not hungry, just dare I say, bored? stressed? mindless?

:smile: Rory – Love your gratitude list. We’re studying the book, 1000 gifts by Ann Voskamp and trying to keep a gratitude list. My world looks so different when I look through that lense!

:smile: Katia – A day of rest is always welcome, isn’t it? Do you get much snow in Oregon?

:flowerforyou: Cheryl! – I always look for the sweet photo of you on your horse! Glad to see you back again. Sounds like you may be getting the most snow that Chicago has seen in two years! Stay warm!

:laugh: Lin – What a great day of dance you had! You go girl!

:flowerforyou: Dee Dee – One word for your calf… MOTRIN!! Hope it heals fast.

:love: LuAnn – Welcome to this thread. I’m happy for every pound I lose and try to keep it in perspective… if I look at the big number at the end I get too depressed.

:smile: Barbie – My hats off to you. I am not a good telephone talker, but I love my friends!
    I can email and text so much better. Must be some holdover from my childhood when my parents wouldn’t let me talk much on the phone. Do you remember those days? I had a time limit… something my kids cannot even begin to fathom.

:happy: Jodio – Where does your DD go to school?

I have a busy weekend. Dinner for my girlfriends here at the house tonight and then Sunday School potluck here on Sunday. Figured as long as I have the house cleaned for one event I may as well do the other... Hopefully I'll be so busy I won't over indulge on the delicious foods... Wish me luck! :laugh:

Have a great day!
    Stay dry and warm.
    Tammy in Va Beach
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy - how long will your daughter be in London for?

There is so much to do, but I will put across a couple of suggestions.

If she's going to the theatre, tell her to try to see The Woman in Black - it's fantastic on stage.http://www.thewomaninblack.com/
    Afternoon tea - The Wolseley http://www.thewolseley.com/champagne-afternoon-tea

Museums - Natural History Museum http://www.nhm.ac.uk/ and The Victoria and Albert Museum http://www.vam.ac.uk/. They are just across the road from one another, so it's easy to do both. After that it is just a five minute walk from Harrods.

A trip to Greenwich is definitely worth while http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/site/ and also the big bus tours http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?id=london_sightseeing_tour&gclid=CKbsntuax7UCFabLtAodI3AA-w is a good way to see lots of sites.

Other than that, I could go on forever! Let me know if she has any particular interests and I could give her some tips. I used to be the general manager of a hotel in Belgravia, so was used to giving advice.

:flowerforyou: Amanda – Thanks for all the info! Our daughter will be in London for four days. She just bought tickets for Phantom, but was wondering which museums to visit. Thanks for the info… I think I’d heard that The Victoria and Albert was supposed to be really good. I’m not sure I want her to go into Harrods…. That girl can spend some money! Haha
    Do you prefer the Big Bus to the Original?
    My husband and I were in London and Dublin in September and sooo enjoyed it. He did feel like a prisoner in the Tower of London however…
    He lived in the UK for three years just before I met him and had always promised to take me there… finally, 25 years later we had the opportunity to go. It was wonderful.

I also spent a summer in France when I was but a young thing.... took a trip with my daughters in 2011 back to France and still loved it as much as I did when I was 23....

Thanks for your input!
    Tammy
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump, just back from short vacation, and got snowed in for a day too! Oh well, no hardship, the pool and hot tub were all mine!
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Off for 5 days in Fort Lauderdale with my mom and sister. The hotel has a gym so I'll bring my exercise things, but no expectations. My goal is not to gain, and to log honestly.

But I can't say that there isn't a part of me that wants to just take the time off in the sun and not think about it.