WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi all Read all the post but not going to respond to all.

To all that are sick out there take care of the most important person you know YOU.
    For those having a hard time Right now is a good time to get back with it.
    For those of you having an easier time of it all good for you.
    For those like me having a tough time hand in hand we can.

Today so far has been great. Didn;d I keep getting that french è how do i turn it off. lol.
    I will need a nap this afternoon as I was up at 5:30 and have a board meeting tonight and don;t want to fall asleep. lol. Darn that è.

See you all lighter.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, in case there are any other whackos here like myself, who may tend to be a bit obsessive if it's something I'm really interested in, I found an article on ehow on how to extract the oil from peanuts. It does not seem cumbersome and I am going to try it, then make my PB in the Vitamix as usual. It's not really because I MUST HAVE my homemade peanut butter with less fast, it's really just...just...just because:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7575802_extract-peanut-oil.html

Jackie in Cherry Hill Outside of Philly Who Must be Nutso
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hey there wonderful girls! I haven't been keeping up with MFP to well lately. :frown: I hope you all are making great choices, feeling great, and getting your bodies moving :happy:

Well bad news on the job front. Not sure I mentioned but I fluffed my resume alittle..I added that I had an AA when infact I am 2 classes short. When they offered the job I told them. They pulled the offer because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!! They didn't even look at my great letters of reccomendation and over 17 years experience in the industry and territory!!!!!!!!!!! They said education is very important to them...really from 30 years ago!!!?? I was crushed for 2 days...then POSITIVE POWER came back and you know what, yes I made a mistake but it's their loss. I have a good job now and I am going to work even harder at it!!! It was meant to be:wink: (I guess) :laugh:

Well I just made hotel reservations yesterday for my Urban Warrior Dash on March 2nd in San Diego!!! I am sooooo excited. 3 couples are going and some other girls from the gym. Only the girls are doing it...I guess our men would rather drink beer:laugh:

Not sure if any of you caught MELT on Dr. OZ. It was good. I posted the info on the boards and WOW...got alot of Dr Oz haters!!!! Did I say WOW???!!! Anyway I just wanted to share the info since I have taken MELT and feel great after it, also have talked to lots of people in class who have said it has helped some of their cronic pain.

Michele - Love my TRX. Yes you can get a door stop so you can hook it up to a door...or get a strap to put over a beam.

Well I better get to work! Also planning on hitting the gym later...train train train!!!!

Have a Good Day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, in case there are any other whackos here like myself, who may tend to be a bit obsessive if it's something I'm really interested in, I found an article on ehow on how to extract the oil from peanuts. It does not seem cumbersome and I am going to try it, then make my PB in the Vitamix as usual. It's not really because I MUST HAVE my homemade peanut butter with less fast, it's really just...just...just because:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7575802_extract-peanut-oil.html

Jackie in Cherry Hill Outside of Philly Who Must be Nutso

Let me know how this goes. I have a Vitamix but haven't had much success in making peanut butter so far. Just got one of the small containers which may work better for me.

Yes, they add sugar and salt. One serving is just 1g of sugar and that's my tradeoff for now. I don't eat anything else with refined sugar added. I even make my own salad dressing. Maybe some day I'll decide to go back to real peanut butter but not right now.

But I am very interested in your Vitamix results!

Lin (still waiting for snow in Central Iowa0

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Rori - glad we're having a good impact on your choices when you're away.

DeeDee - oh no, pneumonia! I'm so so sorry. Take any meds you have, you certainly don't want it to get any worse.

Did a body pump utube today. I was really looking forward to being able to do this. I do need to check out different utub videos to see which one I like the best. But it was nice. Tomorrow I'll go to yoga and then take a step class. I don't really understand it, but I really work up a sweat at her class. Maybe it's because it's in Florida where you sweat more.

grandmallie - have fun at the concert if you go. Hubby doesn't eat ANY vegetables? That must be so so hard for you.

Jackie - I'm constantly amazed how many things have added sugar. I ordered a sweet potato once, they were going to put sugar on it!!! Hello .... it's called a "sweet potato" for a reason. Unfortunately, I had to get some greek yogurt down here with added sugar since I usually get the plain kind and add a touch of honey or some fruit. But, of course, I don't have honey down here. I can't get over how sweet it was! Actually, I bought 2 packs and returned one to the store.

Sue in SD and everyone else having bad weather - please take care

After going to the gym today, I stopped at Publix, returned one of the yogurts and bought two more containers of that Arctic Zero. I find that I like it although it's not real creamy (because it's for lactose intolerant people). Even Vince said that the chocolate is very chocolatey, and that's saying something. Then went to WinnDixie to get Lynette the soda she likes. I can only get it at Winn Dixie. Came back, Vince had taken up some of the tiles in the kitchen and today he put down the grout. Now we just wait, then he'll fill in the grout.

Laura - I save cleaning and sorting the freezers for the summer....lol Did you get a flu shot?

After exercise tomorrow I'm planning to drive down to Port St. Lucy to meet with a friend. She's a real super lady who played mahjongg. She spends the winters in FL and the summers in NC. I haven't seen her in a long time because at the end of the summer we were busy with the pool then she left to come down here. I did bring my mahjongg set thinking we might play, but that's not going to happen. We'll probably just go out to lunch and talk some

Positive Power - that's just terrible they pulled the offer. But you're right...it's their loss. Good luck on your Dash, I know you'll do fantastic. hmmmm....that TRX sounds interesting, which one did you get? You don't have to drill holes into your ceiling or anything, huh? That'd make a great addition to my exercise room. Wonder if there are some utube videos to guide you so you hit all the muscle groups? Do you know? I don't have any exposed beams in my exercise room, but there are two doors to storage rooms. I'm just asking you questions about which one to get because I honestly don't want to do a lot of searches. This jetpack (the upgraded MiFi) can be so slow. We upgraded from 3G to 4G. However, it appears that where our condo is is where Verizon doesn't push for 4G, probably because we're right on the river and they don't want to spend the money to give 4G to a river. We can get 4G in front of the condo and in the back, the signal bounces off the building. Oh well...at least I have something

Will try to be back later. Have a great day everyone

Michele from NC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Didn;d I keep getting that french è how do i turn it off. lol.
    ---Darn that è.
    See you all lighter.
    Lin - I have the same issue. The trick is to turn your keyboard set up to "English - US" (instead of English-Canadian). I know, I know, it has a choice of French Canadian and English Canadian and even if you choose English Canadian, the trouble still remains. Unfortunately, MFP, Facebook and some other blog sites are not set up to accept Canadian English as English.

If you google the problem, you will find other answers as well, but I found my solution worked the best for me.
    Hope this helps.
    Renny
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday afternoon. We are waiting for the snow here in IL. I'm really hoping they have the forecast (5-6") wrong since we are suppose to fly out tomorrow afternoon to visit our DD at school. I'm so looking forward to this weekend with her!

Thanks to all of you for your condolances and encouraging thoughts...losing both parents so unexpectedly, so close together was hard and now trying to deal with the estate issues is such a drag. I have to remember it is okay to grieve. I just don't want to land in a major pity pit

Dee Dee - take good care of yourself...I hope you recover quickly with the antibiotics

Michelle - I just bought 2 DVDs on Amazon. I did a price check between Amazon and Collage and purchased the best deal but I should probably check out Amazon more often - thanks for the suggestion

Laura80111 - be careful in the snow and hope your DH feels better soon. Mine is finally getting back to his old healthy self after 2 weeks of sneezing and coughing

Rori - nice job on the road. I find it very challenging to eat healthy but find if I work out at the hotel that helps. I didn't think to bring a DVD great idea

grandmallie - feel better

Well have to get back to work. Stay safe, get healthy and have a great rest of the day Jodios
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Positive Power - that's just terrible they pulled the offer. But you're right...it's their loss. Good luck on your Dash, I know you'll do fantastic. hmmmm....that TRX sounds interesting, which one did you get? You don't have to drill holes into your ceiling or anything, huh? That'd make a great addition to my exercise room. Wonder if there are some utube videos to guide you so you hit all the muscle groups? Do you know? I don't have any exposed beams in my exercise room, but there are two doors to storage rooms. I'm just asking you questions about which one to get because I honestly don't want to do a lot of searches. Michele from NC

Michele ~ I got the Pro Pack. The Door Anchor was separate. A few people at te gym have found deals on used ones on Ebay or Craigs list. I paid around $230 for the pro pack and anchor. It also comes with a DVD and book with exercises. Yes you can find some things on YouTube also. Sounds like a great addition to your space if you WILL use it :wink: My guess is you will since you enjoy working out like I do!!! Have fun at yoga tomorrow:bigsmile: IT''S A GREAT WORKOUT!!! Looks kind of easy but OMG......
    Judy
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies. It has been a very rough week. The cloak is not working as she has been in really rare form. I am filing an official hostile workplace claim on Monday.

I didn't get the other job. He called to let me know that I was great and that I interviewed really welll and that another candidate just scored a little higher and he wasn't really even sure why, but I didn't get the job.

My ear is swollen and infected. I now have that long lasting hang on forever dry cough that has been going around with this cold.

I have been going home every night and just cuddling the boys and crying a bit and trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks for letting me pour it all out in typing.

Teary in PNW
    Robin, Bodi and Ritter
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    So sorry, Robin. Been there, survived that. You will too.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    Robin, soooooooo sorry. Praying for you that things get better very soon.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Robin, I am so sorry you're going through a rough time right now. I've been there before, and it took a long time to work things out. What ever time it takes, you'll eventually get what you need. Sending good wishes and cyber hugs.

Katla, speaking from experience in NW Oregon
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Robin-sorry you are having such a rough go of it, we are all here for you and we are cheering you on:drinker:

Michele- yes we did get flu shots, but I just saw a headline that said "why this year's flu shots aren't helping seniors" ...I guess I should go read that article:ohwell: ...just hoping I don't get sick.

Those of you east of us in Colorado take care I'm sorry to say but the snow is headed your way.

Til later.

Laura80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy thurs.
    Had trouble with computer this am.Took the van in for repairs,700 dollars later.Got several quotes and that was 4 2 repairs.
    Hope anyone who is struggling,it get`s easier.Anyone sick,better.
    Thanks for being there!
    HUGS
    jane
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Hi ladies!

10 o'clock pm here and I have finally sat down. A fabulous day with the family and GC, meal in the slow cooker for tomorrow , shopping done for the rest of the stay. Swimming was great and lots of other fun all day. Children love fruit and vegetables and I think we have hit about 15 today!!

Out for the day tomorrow to a country park. Feed the ducks, play on the swings and ride on scooters! - that's just me!! Expect the children will join in!

Please be safe if you are experiencing snow, stay warm and eat some comfort food!

There seems to be a lot of illness amongst you all. Take care, rest and ease off the exercise . Your bodies need some TLC at this time so don't push it!

Please do not give up if you are feeling down, frustrated - tomorrow is a brand new day full of new opportunities.

Just a short post

Keep smiling

Jo
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone~! We are having a snow storm. We were supposed to get 8-10 inches of snow, but unless it really gets going, I doubt we will have more than 4! It is windy though. Well not only did I lose that 3+ pounds that I gained the last couple of weeks, but more, so this week I had a 4+ pound loss, for a net loss of something like 1.1#.:happy:

This site—and all you wonderful pals—has made such a difference in my life. Not only did I not panic when I gained that weight, I didn’t give up, I didn’t say “Oh what the he**”, I just kept working on having a healthy lifestyle and it worked. So now I am at my lowest weight in I can’t remember when. It just is so liberating!:happy:

Liz: not only did I sleep well last night, but when I got home about 1 today I slept for another 2 hours.

Amanda: maybe you can be all our tour guides when we all visit London!

DeeDee: so sorry to hear about your pneumonia. Take your meds, drink your water and hot tea, and get some rest! Feel better soon…sending virtual chicken soup your way.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: sorry you are feeling sick too! Get well soon

Lin: sending snow your way!

Sue SD: that is funny that your health coach would be reluctant to tell you that you had gained weight. Seems like she would be used to doing that!

Lucy I also find that when I make one good choice it tends to keep me making good choices for the rest of the day.

Laura80111: I bought all the goodies from Estee Lauder. Serum, eye cream, repair stuff, moisturizer…etc etc etc. I am really surprised today because with all that stuff on my face, it is not oily! Maybe it’s my imagination, but I think my skin looks pretty darned good! That’s too bad about your boss. That is so great that you are so close to your goal!

Jackie: your post cracked me up..nutso for peanut butter and for being obsessive. You gave me a smile.:smile:

Positive Power: I agree with you, the job thing must have been meant to happen.

Michelle: how are you enjoying Florida?

Jodios: I’m so sorry for your loss and the increasing frustration of possible airport delays.:flowerforyou: I think I heard that your area was going to get the storm later this evening. Where is DD at school?

Robin: I’m so sorry about what’s going on at work. I just don’t understand why so many bosses and workplaces are so horrible. You’d think they’d understand how that affects productivity. I have always been blessed with good bosses, or at least tolerable. I’m sorry you didn’t get that job and that you are sick too. A little crying and venting is healthy. Give your babies big hugs.

Jo your days sound like they have been so much fun!

Well ladies, I hope this evening brings rest and peace and tomorrow is a good day. All of you who are sick, get well soon, and for those with struggles, hang in there and know you can do it!

Take care, meg wishing for a snow day tomorrow in Omaha:drinker:
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello, all! I hope everyone is having a good day.

Dee Dee – Sorry to hear that you have pneumonia. Good thing you drug yourself to the doctor and can get started on some antibiotics. Take care of yourself and don’t over do while you are ill.

Grandmallie – ditto my comments above – take care and be nice to yourself. Also, do you use coupons? You won’t find a lot for fresh produce and meat but you can find them for a lot of other things on your list and free up funds for the healthy foods. I’m a big fan of couponmom.com – that site shows you how to pair up coupons and sales at your favorite store.

Positive power – so sorry to hear that they pulled the job offer but you are right to look for the positives in this and other situations.

Jodios – fingers crossed that you are able to take off tomorrow and go see your DD!

Robin – I’m sorry to hear about your troubles at work, hang in there!

Wishing you all a good evening!

Sandy in cold OH
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Got all caught up again but didn't take notes. I'm going togo to the library and have them teach me an easier way to do this but take notes. That is so time consuming.

Had a fair day today but trying something different had a nice supper like I would have before becoming a diebetic. Had 3 oz hamb. patty. 1 large potato 1/2 cup of corn. Mush and onion gravy. I'm waiting 2 hours and see what my Blood sugars will be. Hope there great. Would be nice if I could have a nice meal once and awhile.

Moved a little more today than I have in the last two weeks i've been at a stand still don't know why just because.

Renee
    all I did to solve the problem was reboot.

Deedee
    Hope your feeling better.

Meg
    Keep the snow i'm sure we had our fair share.

Katla
    Forgot to answer you this morning. When I asked about carbs yesterday this is what I was told.
    There is slow acting and fast acting carbs. Bread is fast acting and better to be eaten with protein.
    Fruit is slower acting but even them I like to have with a little protein Apple with cheese. Banana and peanut butter.
    Grapes with cheese. Seems to work out nice and don't spyke my blood sugars.

So now going to put supper away and play games.

See you all lighter
    LInda in Northern Ontario.
  • c0c0nn0r
    Options
    Work has been really crazy lately--you would think the start of the school year would be busiest (I'm a school secretary in a K thru 4 building) but it seems like February thru May is. Our district is going to on line registration this year so we have to learn everything about it to help out the parents. Last night was our 1st dad/daughter dance and all the girls looked adorable - so many even wore little wrist corsages.

Barbie - sorry to hear about your bone scan results.

DeeDee - feel better soon

Lin - I also takes notes. I wish there was a way to like split the page so I could read and respond at the same time

Take care and have a great Friday everyone!

Colleen (IL)
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread makes me want to count my blessings.
    Have a great job and a generous and caring boss.
    Have my health, and have gone over two years with nothing more serious than a cold.
    Married to DH for 25 years. No kids, except the furry kind that purrs at the foot of my bed every night.
    Parents are together in heaven.
    And, I've got all of you with your wit, wisdom and stalwart support.

Lin - Thank you for the carb info. I'll definitely use that tip.

DeeDee - Watch out for the side effects of antibiotics. Did doctor advise you to also take probiotics? Get well soon.

Meg - I just dropped $200 at cosmetic counter. Went in just wanting a new mascara, but once I saw what good make up and skin care could do, I decided i'm worth it.

Robin - Chin up! Got you in my prayers.

Rori from snowy Littleton, Colorado