Just for Today

Options
I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 30 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

Replies

• StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration as I was about to eat something and I'm not hungry... :-)
  • ical50
    ical50 Posts: 61
    Options
    Thanks for this reminder Kate! I needed it! A lot of times I eat as though I will never get to eat something again! As though, donuts or hoagies or ice cream or iced cookies, frozen Pepsi or Milky Ways will not be here if I start eating healthy and don't eat them today! It's an illness in my head! So, to get through today!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will focus on my goals, not my struggles!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will choose foods that make my mind & body feel good & get in plenty of water! drinking-smiley17.gif

Thanks for the start of a new thread Kate!:wink:
    Just for today I will remember how far I have come and not focus on how far I have to go.
    so good!
  • kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just for today I will remember how far I have come and not focus on how far I have to go.
  • razorbecky
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I'm trying to live by this also.
  • Kathy503
    Kathy503 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That is a great outlook!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 30 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

Is this a copy-post that comes back like every other day or something? Because I swear this thread was up a couple of weeks ago, with this SAME message. o_O
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    just for today-lunchtime workout, healthy lunch, get som esleep. Today is here. Tomorrow may not come.
  • sherbear2678
    sherbear2678 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    well said and I've been feeling the same since xmas - tomorrow I will quit eating sweets/candy/chocolate... well that day is today thanks for the encouragement you can do it!
  • Laxmom1418
    Options
    Very powerful!! Thanks for the inspiration!! Everyday is a new day!! I Believe in ME!!
  • kittykat925
    kittykat925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread! Thanks for starting this :)
    Just for today: I will eat a healthy lunch instead of going to Starbucks, get a walk in after dinner, drink plenty of water and go to bed early.
  • javajudi77
    Options
    That is great. I am struggling with the same thing. You gave me some good ideas. Thanks.
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    just for today: i will get a good nights sleep, lights out before 11pm.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just For Today: I will be proud of myself & what I've accomplished today, getting to the gym and staying far away from junk food. :drinker: Hooray

Hm... no one ever said it would be easy, but they also never said it's be Sooo tough on some days!:grumble: :laugh: :tongue:
    Is this where the line "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger" fits in?:yawn: :bigsmile:

Is this a copy-post that comes back like every other day or something? Because I swear this thread was up a couple of weeks ago, with this SAME message. o_O
    Hi :o)

When Kate begins a new thread she starts each thread out with that wonderfully inspiring story.
    So is it likely you saw this "Just For Today" topic Kate began sometime back... yes, most likely that's what it was.:flowerforyou:

We'd love to have you join us!:wink:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Just For Today I will let my muscles remain sore, because pain is onlt temporary.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Great post, Kate! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will choose foods that make my mind & body feel good & get in plenty of water! drinking-smiley17.gif

Thanks for the start of a new thread Kate!:wink:
    so good!

MFP needs to add your water-cooler emotion-con - just sayin... :flowerforyou:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will face my fears.
  • CricketKate
    Options

It is the same opening post. The reason is, I want people to understand the purpose of the thread. I don't start a new thread every other day, only when I think it is getting too long. Sometimes when a thread is long and usually being posted on by the same people, it feels somewhat closed. I hope that, with a new thread, new people may feel welcome to post their thoughts or daily goals. Post or not as you choose, but please try to be kind.