Do you lift heavy? Are you bulky?

Options

Replies

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have my most current pictures in picture gallery if u want to see lifting and no bulky (because I can't get bulky unless I do what others have suggested).
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    <
    Been lifting heavy since October; don't think I look bulky.

Haven't really got any pics in street clothes though.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Let's drop the athletes pic discussion- I don't think it's really relevant to compare the bodies of olympic athletes in various sports to regular women who lift heavy. So......can someone please post the next set of MFP member pics!?!

Let's keep this party going!
    "Do you lift heavy? Are you bulky?" My point was that the answer to the first question has nothing to do with the answer to the second question, and I used a picture of Olympic athletes to demonstrate.

I'm out.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    Love this thread. I started at a gym tonight. The trainer tried to hide his surprise when he said "I expect you're mainly interested in cardio" and I said "no, mainly weights"! I'm a real beginner so I started with a 10kg power bag, but I'm excited to see where I'll be in 6 weeks time.
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This is me on New Years Eve. I can squat 110lbs for 3x4, and can deadlift 185 for 1x5. :)

DSCN3991_zpsf424f8b8.jpg
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy...before i started....
    33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_3110.jpg

during and currently....i am now 5'11" and these pics after between 175 and 185 pounds
    33110506_4848.jpg
    33110506_8190.jpg
    33110506_2955.jpg
    33110506_33.jpg
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have just started lifting and pushing my weight up steadily. You ladies are so inspirational! Everyone looks phenomenal. I keep saying, "she has great arms", "she has great abs", "she has a great back".

I can't lift nearly as heavy as most, but I'm a size 2 5'6" 130 pounds.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    bahahaaha!! love it! And you have great shape, I'd kill to look like this... clothed or naked!!!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    <
    bulky as hell hahaha Heavy lifter for life and almost no cardio
    I'm so lame and don't know how to post photos in here but my profile is open feel free to look =)
    haha i'm a repost because I love this thread!
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    <<<<<Is this bulky? Maybe to some.

I'm a lucky one that builds muscle easily. A good meal plan and consistency helps. Plus, I'm almost 50, 5' 0" tall and around 109. I've been lifting since around 25. I vary my weights. Also, my quads and glutes are not near as defined due to a knee problem.

For example:
    40# barbell curls
    2x10

50# barbell curls
    1x3

All I could crank out was 3 reps at 50#. It was also the end of my workout. Other days, I might only curl 30#. I think it's important to mix it up. And, no rest in between exercises. After I completed a set of curls, I was down on floor cranking out ab crunches with a 10# med ball.

There were more exercises involved in my work out this a.m. Not sure if this is considered "heavy" or not. It really depends on the individual and how conditioned you are.
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!

MORE PICTURES LADIES!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130205_165438-1_zpsda5d012a.jpg
    Yes I'm a little bit bulky. But only because I still have a bit of fat to lose.
    I was squatting 125 lb for 5 sets of 3 reps. Deloaded after being sick and am working my way back up. Soon it'll be the big plates :happy:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130205_165438-1_zpsda5d012a.jpg
    Yes I'm a little bit bulky. But only because I still have a bit of fat to lose.
    I was squatting 125 lb for 5 sets of 3 reps. Deloaded after being sick and am working my way back up. Soon it'll be the big plates :happy:
    YOU LOOK FANTASTIC
    You are not even a little bit bulky, silly! :laugh: :love:
  • Dimples99
    Dimples99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Dear women :) Let me put your minds at ease , your bodies don't produce enough testosterone to get to the level of "bulkyness" some of you fear :) Whenever you see a "bulky" woman , she's probably on steroids/pro-hormones :)

If you lift heavy/light , there's only one place you'll be taking your body on , a journey of looking AWESOME .
  • coriengelke
    Options
    I'm bulky as hell!
    Squat 180
    DL 250 x 1, 220 for reps
    Bench 105
    Unassisted chins and dips

2j5fbls.jpg

Size 6 non-stretch jeans:
    jjb78m.jpg

ETA: I HATE posting this, but my FL has told me that it's actually helpful for people to see- I'm 5'3" and 153 lbs (154 in pics)...overweight BMI.

It is VERY helpful to hear about your BMI classification!! In fact, I just posted in another group yesterday about the inaccuracy of BMI charts. It gives me hope to know that there are others out there that are fit and run heavier (in weight alone) then the BMI chart says you should be. Judging from your pic, you aren't overweight at all. THANK YOU!
  • TraceysJourney
    TraceysJourney Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Amazing :)
    Lifting heavy...before i started....
    33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_3110.jpg

during and currently....i am now 5'11" and these pics after between 175 and 185 pounds
    33110506_4848.jpg
    33110506_8190.jpg
    33110506_2955.jpg
    33110506_33.jpg
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    I'm in my bulking phase right now. Not going to post pics since this thread looks like it is full of women and my picture would probably be out of place.
    Anyways. I eat a dense calorie meal. Surplus to be exact. I aim around 3000 calories a day. I lift very heavy. And usually go for 7 reps per set. I also usually do drop sets to increase fatigue.
    I have a very bulky appearance in person and I enjoy looking that way.
    In a unisex perspective for both women and men. I would say genetics, diet, and how much you lift plays a vital role on your appearance. I enjoy looking big and muscular. Although I'm a guy.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy, but definitely not considered "bulky."

I'd imagine it's pretty insulting for bodybuilding women when people to think that people can "accidentally" get bulky so easily. :P It takes so much dedication for that.