Do you lift heavy? Are you bulky?

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Wow, Maria! What a difference a year makes! Lucia and Jonesie, you both look fantastic!

Alla, in addition to being "bulky", I see you have lost your curves! :laugh: You look awesome!

I know, right? A girl just can't win.

By the way, I frocking hate the new photobucket, makes me want to stab things.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

f9548c1a.jpg

Completely off topic - I love the Adicts. I had that T-shirt...not sure what happened to it.

Wow! That's awesome! I got it when i was around 13 (so... around 2004?) I haven't seen one just like it in forever. :) ! <3
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have been circuit training with a personal trainer 3 days a week for 8 weeks now for an hour and haven't lost a single pound. I am devastated! I have been eating around 1200 - 1800 calories per day (before factoring in the exercise). My trainer will not let me measure to see if I have lost inches until 3 months but I don't feel like I've lost anything and the scale isn' t budging. Very confused about this whole calorie vs net calorie thing. I ONLY eat 1200- 1800(on a bad day, not often) and that is BEFORE figuring in calories burned from JUST the circuit training. I feel cheated. I have put in so much hard work and eaten good unprocessed food with no results. Advice please? I will add that I am overweight and have over 50 lbs to lose so I don't understand why the changes I have made aren't working, or are they?

I would make your trainer let you measure. 8 weeks is enough time. I didn't lose a single lb the first 6 weeks but I lost inches everywhere (except my legs- they took longer). Also 1200-1800 is kind of a big range, unless you're zig-zagging it might help to pick a target and be a nit more consistent. I lost my weight at 1650 before exercise, and ate all my exercise cals.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I have been circuit training with a personal trainer 3 days a week for 8 weeks now for an hour and haven't lost a single pound. I am devastated! I have been eating around 1200 - 1800 calories per day (before factoring in the exercise). My trainer will not let me measure to see if I have lost inches until 3 months but I don't feel like I've lost anything and the scale isn' t budging. Very confused about this whole calorie vs net calorie thing. I ONLY eat 1200- 1800(on a bad day, not often) and that is BEFORE figuring in calories burned from JUST the circuit training. I feel cheated. I have put in so much hard work and eaten good unprocessed food with no results. Advice please? I will add that I am overweight and have over 50 lbs to lose so I don't understand why the changes I have made aren't working, or are they?

I'd venture to say a lot of us didn't "lose pounds" (at least probably not a lot) from lifting, either. Here's a link to a group where they answer questions like yours if you are interested in what they have to say. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

I agree with Bean though, big calorie window.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

This is me last year- from february until june-

(NSFW)

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2012/05/13/52252611/progresspic/NpFjxswxesKqKzpIvGRNoahXzXiFtFZUqwbo.jpg

Only about a 10 pound difference... So stick with it!!! You should be noticing changes but it takes time. If your trainer just isnt cutting it for you after a few months, then get a new one. :)
  • amandacillin
    amandacillin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's encouraging. What a big difference! Thanks for sharing :)
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    OP what a great post. I see its time I step my game up. The free weight room at my gym is just sooo intimidating for me. Geez! :embarassed:
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    beat_dead_horse2.jpg

^^^This!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lift heavy.

I am not even close to being considered bulky. I'm the furthest thing from it!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting this week so I don't have progress yet to share. I just want to say I love all you ladies who have shared your progress, and I'm amazed at what you are lifting.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    LUCIA>.. did you say 405?

wow~~!
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I am doing progress pictures - only to show that I was MORE bulky before, since I am not tiny now. Between my May 2012 picture and current, it's less than a 20 lb difference. Between December and now there's about a 5 inch difference in my waist -

I do stronglifts -

OHP - 55
    DL - 140
    BP - 75
    Rows - 70
    Squat - 115

Not as much as some ladies - but lifting has made a huge difference to my body. In the last month I've gained 6 lbs lbm from 109 to 116 in lbm. So yeah - I'm bulky - but I'm way less bulky than I was!

51f6dedc-ee8a-4922-99ef-41e4e21a124f_zpsfbf2abd7.jpg
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    P.s...
    Yes i lift... Because I'm bulky (but not from lifting) and I'm trying to lose body fat and trim down..

So pretty much the opposite of what most people imagine.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Whoa! I missed Bean's edit! That some incredible lean mass, too!

And, about thekyleo....I'm curious what his first negativity was that he edited.

Thanks. Up until recently (like, a couple days ago) I was really embarrassed about it and NEVER posted my actual weight, but after I did, I had an influx of comments from ladies on my FL that made me feel more confident, and said that seeing the numbers helped them with their own insecurities and mental picture of what weight really looks like. So, I guess I'm embracing it now. I now choose to think of myself as a brick-house. LOL.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    <---- I pick up heavy things and put them down. Bulky? Nope. Hot? Yes. :happy:

Oh right.....

5'1'' 120 lbs

I haven't done a 1RM. I was supposed to last week then got sick so here's what I have for you:
    Squat 105 for 8 reps 2 sets
    Bench 70 lbs 8 reps
    Deadlift 65 lbs for 10 reps for 3 sets
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I lift, though I wouldn't say I lift "heavy" - I do weekly progression, starting new weight at 7 reps and working up to 15 for 3 sets, and an alternating up/ low split (currently squatting about 275, if my math is right, after several months of a routine through which I lost a lot of strength, I'm just getting back to my weights. My deadlifts and bent rows and stuff are depressing now. :( BOO)

I do a little cardio (not a focus).

I'm 5'8", and around 140.

And that's me in my profile pic. I don't think I'm bulky. In fact, I lost a bunch of pants sizes when I started lifting.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I lift, though I wouldn't say I lift "heavy" - I do weekly progression, starting new weight at 7 reps and working up to 15 for 3 sets, and an alternating up/ low split (currently squatting about 275, if my math is right, after several months of a routine through which I lost a lot of strength, I'm just getting back to my weights. My deadlifts and bent rows and stuff are depressing now. :( BOO)

And that's me in my profile pic. I don't think I'm bulky. In fact, I lost a bunch of pants sizes when I started lifting.

holy hammer, you're squatting 275 and you wouldn't say your lifting "heavy?"
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Wow, Maria! What a difference a year makes! Lucia and Jonesie, you both look fantastic!

Alla, in addition to being "bulky", I see you have lost your curves! :laugh: You look awesome!

I know, right? A girl just can't win.

By the way, I frocking hate the new photobucket, makes me want to stab things.

all you ladies look fantastic! you are my idols. I hate that my OHP is still only at 35#s I feel like such a weakling. It will get there, I gotta have some patience.

I had to change back to the original photobucket, I couldnt deal.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

holy hammer, you're squatting 275 and you wouldn't say your lifting "heavy?"
    ^^I was just going to say the same thing. 275 is CRAZY heavy! I mean, not world record setting, but you could win some competitions for SURE!

ETA: Women's Raw Squat world records:
    Class Lift Name Year Fed Country
    97 214 Naomi Kutin 01/22/12 RUPC USA
    105 319 Wei-Ling Chen 06/12/12 IPF TPE
    114 319 Suzie Hartwig-Gary 08/19/11 USAPL USA
    123 308 Suzie Hartwig-Gary 03/04/11 IPF USA
    132 330 Anastasiya Amelina 04/08/11 WPC Russia
    148 450 Rheta West 10/06/12 IPA USA
    165 440 Taylar Stallings 11/12/11 PRPA USA
    181 473 Jill Brown- Mills 1998 APF USA
    198 451 Ielja Strik 06/15/12 IPF Netherlands
    198+ 615 April Mathis 10/29/11 APF USA