Fishing for compliments?

Options

Replies

• jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I agree. Anyone without a real picture of themselves I'm just going to assume must be ugly.

MEOW!

LOL!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Do some people equate superficial compliments with genuine compliments? To me, there's a difference.

I don't even care. I'm easier to butter up than bread.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When I want an ego boost I just go look in the mirror.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't need anyone to tell me I'm fabulous. I'm the King of the Jungle! :laugh:
  • packratpatty
    packratpatty Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of posts on here that I suspect--and I am a highly trained investigator-- are people fishing for compliments. I also see a bunch of profile photos that I suspect may be fake. Seriously, what's up with all that? The topics of "give me a compliment", "would you date the person above you" , "my best feature", "hot affair, flirt or run like hell" and so forth.... what is the deal with all that? No?

PREACH ON SISTER! if I get one more perv trying to add me I will explode...and as far as post that are not finess/nutrition related I think they should be BANNED

Hey look, it's the OP! I don't necessarily think they should be..... banned. I am just unable to comprehend why someone would want to get fake compliments from strangers. Most of you know that if you were put in a room with 75 others from this site, you wouldn't prance up to them and say 98% of the stuff you say here, in the cover of anonymous websites. As for the "fake" profile photos, I wasn't referring to the ones of cats, or giraffes, or pyramids, snakes, and so on, but of ripped bodies and fake boobs or long legs or whatever, that may or may not really belong to the posting person. If we could actually see the real person behind the profile, would your comments be the same? Are you posting to the person in the photo or the man behind the curtain? I mean, the photo of the person holding the "wicked" sign...that's not ME, that is a picture of a woman I found online. So, when you say "ya I'd hit that" are you saying to ME or her? If you saw the real me, would you say the same? I don't thinks so.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of posts on here that I suspect--and I am a highly trained investigator-- are people fishing for compliments. I also see a bunch of profile photos that I suspect may be fake. Seriously, what's up with all that? The topics of "give me a compliment", "would you date the person above you" , "my best feature", "hot affair, flirt or run like hell" and so forth.... what is the deal with all that? No?

PREACH ON SISTER! if I get one more perv trying to add me I will explode...and as far as post that are not finess/nutrition related I think they should be BANNED

Hey look, it's the OP! I don't necessarily think they should be..... banned. I am just unable to comprehend why someone would want to get fake compliments from strangers. Most of you know that if you were put in a room with 75 others from this site, you wouldn't prance up to them and say 98% of the stuff you say here, in the cover of anonymous websites. As for the "fake" profile photos, I wasn't referring to the ones of cats, or giraffes, or pyramids, snakes, and so on, but of ripped bodies and fake boobs or long legs or whatever, that may or may not really belong to the posting person. If we could actually see the real person behind the profile, would your comments be the same? Are you posting to the person in the photo or the man behind the curtain? I mean, the photo of the person holding the "wicked" sign...that's not ME, that is a picture of a woman I found online. So, when you say "ya I'd hit that" are you saying to ME or her? If you saw the real me, would you say the same? I don't thinks so.

It's a community of people helping each other feel better about themselves. I understand that this kind of ego-supplementation doesn't appeal to you- it's not my style either. But I try to be understanding about the motivations people have to do so. Participating in those "rate me!" threads may just make enough of a difference to someone so they walk in to a party IRL with swagger instead of feeling self-conscious.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    But nobody told me how awesome I am in the last 2 hours:sad: :sad: :sad:

Your Awesome(singing it) :flowerforyou: :love: :love:
  • LISALOSBORNE
    Options
    :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I honestly don't think I've said anything in the MFP forums that I wouldn't say IRL...but accept that may not be the norm.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

[/quote

How do you know they're fake compliments....anymore fake than ones from people in RL?

I have no idea why you seem so bothered about it.

ETA: Oh I hate it when I post in the quote box
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

It's the internet. It's quasi-fiction. It's like a role-playing game for many people. For many who take the internet that way, you aren't being "yourself" and you aren't talking to real people... your character is talking to someone else's character. Its not just that people will say things they wouldn't normally say, they also accepted having things said to them that they normally wouldn't accept, too.

As for avatars, people will choose avatars that represent their own character instead of their real self, because doing so wouldn't make any sense... that isn't who you're talking with, or who is reading your comments.

There are some sites and forums where the members actually do know each other in real life and see each other in real life. On those forums people tend act a bit differently, at least with the people who they have 'real' non-internet relationships /interactions with.

The funniest part of the internet is the people who think it's exactly the same as real life and are totally serious all the time and expect everyone else to be. I have to wonder if those people are even capable of role-playing... it seems to be a function of higher intelligence to be able to create multiple internal characters/minds, and different realities, and interact those minds with their realities within the relevant contexts.
  • MizVandyk
    MizVandyk Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    nobody has told me I am hot today or tried to perv me up in PM all day :frown: somebody tell me how hot I am!!...please while you are at it be a good lil B and bring me a beer!!! :bigsmile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    ^Messaged
  • MizVandyk
    MizVandyk Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    ^Messaged

ummmmm...you forgot my beer....:grumble:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    It's all good girl...second time is a charm.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    ah hell if you are handing out free beer I drink keiths or moose hear lol
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    The reasons for non-self pictures are many.....job, privacy, previous stalkers, current stalkers, husband or wife has requested no pictures, etc. I don't want everyone on the internet having access to my picture....which, once you put it up as an AV, anyome can use it. Try googling your username and images.....that's what I'm saying...sometimes discretion is necessary. The pictures you use as AV pictures cannot be made private...and anyone can see them.

this is basically what i assume when i see that people don't have their pic up. i'm from an internet world that values anonymity. i don't assume ugly at all.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    If I were going to fake a profile picture I would pick someone much better looking.

I had a hot chick as my fake profile picture. It started getting really annoying with all the friend requests and pm's hitting on me or telling me I was beautiful. I got tired of thinking that nobody has any common sense around here and people are just so shallow. So I just switched to a real picture instead. Now I don't have to get annoyed with friend requests anymore.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Could be worse. The interwebs is riddled with chicks posting very obviously staged and heavily made-up photos with captions that read "No makeup" and "Ugh, I'm so ugly!" Those people are so pathetic.

Except for me. My picture really is SOOO UGLY. Like, OMG.
  • losingweightatl
    Options
    It takes all kinds to make up the world. Some might need a little encouragement or some might be just what you say they are. No two people think, feel, or are exactly the same. Maybe someone doesn't like the things you post. In the end... if it bothers you then you don't have to look at it. I don't worry too much about what other people do unless it directly affects me and my goals.