C25K everyone welcome, just starting or in the middle

Options

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm currious... does everyone start tracking their distance including the Warm-up and Cool-down or "just" the in between intervals?

I track my total distance on Mondays - because I log my laps for the Getting Started Clinic. Unfortunately, yesterday was the last one of those! I did 13 total laps around a high school track - so 3 1/4 miles total. Other than that, at the Y I do good to track the 17 laps per mile while I'm running. I don't even try to track how many I walk! At the lake I try to track - I did 3 laps a couple of weeks ago - 1.4 miles each for a total of 4.2 miles, but I walk extra after I run usually. :)
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    curious - what do you guys listen to ? Do you use the pre-done podcasts? make your own? Just look at your watch??
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Finished Wk 2 Day 1 today. Felt good. I start 4 on 4 flag football next week. 40 yard field. That's going to mess with my timing a bit. I guess my weeks won't be weeks as I want to honor the rest for a day in btwn workouts. That's okay - I'm not in a hurry and I will run MORE playing football than doing C25K - at least in the early weeks of the program.

@lildebbie - I listen to the Podrunner podcasts. I like them and they keep me from looking at my watch - which would be the kiss of death for me! I just trust the music and the beeps that tell me when to walk and when to jog.
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    curious - what do you guys listen to ? Do you use the pre-done podcasts? make your own? Just look at your watch??

I have the podcast from Robert Ullrey. They have good music (nothing I would normally listen too, but a good beat to keep your feet moving). It is also nice to not have to think about when to speed up and slow down. He tells you when the warm up is over, when to jog, when to walk again, etc. If I had to constantly look at my watch, I don't think I would do as good. I downloaded for free from iTunes, but if you don't have that, then google his name, you are bound to find it.
  • mindalyn
    mindalyn Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I have the podcast from Robert Ullrey. They have good music (nothing I would normally listen too, but a good beat to keep your feet moving). It is also nice to not have to think about when to speed up and slow down. He tells you when the warm up is over, when to jog, when to walk again, etc. If I had to constantly look at my watch, I don't think I would do as good. I downloaded for free from iTunes, but if you don't have that, then google his name, you are bound to find it.

i used to listen to a podcast from (http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86) i liked it a lot. i only got to week 3 before my ipod broke, but she does the same thing with instructions. the music was nice, i liked it
  • Bleux
    Options

i used to listen to a podcast from (http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86) i liked it a lot. i only got to week 3 before my ipod broke, but she does the same thing with instructions. the music was nice, i liked it

I will have to give this a try. I like Ullrey, but it might be interesting to listen to someone else.
  • mindalyn
    mindalyn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    just finished w5d2 - 31 mins 4.5km (including 5 min warm up walk & no cool down).

i dont seem to be improving my time/distance... which maybe means i am not pushing myself hard enough? but, i do feel that i can run the 5 min intervals a hell of a lot easier than the 60 second ones on w1. so i guess that is good... maybe by next week i will see a time/distance improvement
  • Bleux
    Options
    Mindalyn - I wouldn't worry too much about time and distance just yet. That is something you can improve on with time. And it will happen naturally. Push it a bit, but don't stress over it just yet!
  • Tilleyflipflop
    Options
    This is great- I was just reading through the message boards as a new member and thought i would give this a go- I enjoy running but find motivation a little difficult sometimes- but also tend to just run without really getting anywhere!

Perfect will get started tonight I think! Only trouble where I live is in a Valley so am surrounded by huge hills!! ah well- will be even better for toning me I suppose!!

Thanks- oh and will try the podcast link that was listed as well! thanks
  • corndog05
    corndog05 Posts: 53
    Options
    Finished W3D1 Monday and will do W3D2 today. I have never in my life run for 3 minutes without stopping (unless I thought freaky Jason in his hockey mask was chasing me with his big butcher knife). It was a little difficult which I guess is what I'm shooting for. So I will huff and puff and practice my breathing and move on today to Day 2. I think I may stay on Week 3 for a few extra days until I feel the need and stamina to move onto Week 4.
  • Margarette
    Margarette Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I just started this today. W1D1. I am wondering did you all do this only 3x a week or did you do it more? I am tempted to try to do this 5x a week although I am thinking those rest days may be in there for a reason. Can I do other workouts on the off days?

Thanks for your help!

Maggie
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I did this program a while back and graduated about 2 months ago...I could run ( at a moderate pace) for 40 minutes @ 3.1 miles . This time around I am focusing on speed..since the first time I was more on endorance and accuracy.

I started the program on Moday W1d1 so Wednesday ( today) will be W1D2..2 days already down...one more for this week.

this time around i am running ( on the treadmill) between 4.5 - 9.0 mph...it is hard and a challenge but i want to run the whole 5k in 20 minutes.

Good Luck to all!
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    I've been reading up on C25K...thinking about giving it a try once I finish these last 3 weeks of ChaLEAN Extreme.
  • Bleux
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I just started this today. W1D1. I am wondering did you all do this only 3x a week or did you do it more? I am tempted to try to do this 5x a week although I am thinking those rest days may be in there for a reason. Can I do other workouts on the off days?

Thanks for your help!

Maggie

Hi Maggie - I would start out following the 3x a week. I did, but then I started just everyother day. I have taken an extra day here and there, but for the most part, I only take one day off between runs. Unless you are use to it, I wouldn't go to 5x just yet. Your body will need time to recoup. I still keep up with other activities on my "rest" days; eliptical, stair climber, weights, and areobics classes, so it isn't like you only get to workout 3x a week.

W5D2 done! It went surprisingly better than I expected. I think I am actually looking forward to D3!

Time: 32:13
    DIstance: 5.4km
    Av/KM: 5:58 min/km
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Finished W2 D2 today. I have to pace myself when I'm not running on a treadmill. I got really winded on the first run and had to pull myself together for the rest of the session. Worked fine!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 9 day 2 today. One more run left! I did 2 1/4 miles in 30 minutes - Monday I only did 2 1/8. Montana Womens Run is Sat! So excited!
  • Bleux
    Options
    Finished W2 D2 today. I have to pace myself when I'm not running on a treadmill. I got really winded on the first run and had to pull myself together for the rest of the session. Worked fine!

I love running outside and not on a treadmill just for the reason of not having to have a set pace. I run much faster than when I set the treadmill to a pace and don't really get to change it without thinking about it.
  • Bleux
    Options
    Finished Week 9 day 2 today. One more run left! I did 2 1/4 miles in 30 minutes - Monday I only did 2 1/8. Montana Womens Run is Sat! So excited!

This is great!! Good for you. Have a blast on Satruday. I have just over a week until my first official 5k run, Marienloop in Nijmegen. I am really looking forward to it! I will only be on week 6, but still I hope to run the whole thing in under 30! We'll see how it goes. Good luck to you!
  • Tilleyflipflop
    Options

This is great!! Good for you. Have a blast on Satruday. I have just over a week until my first official 5k run, Marienloop in Nijmegen. I am really looking forward to it! I will only be on week 6, but still I hope to run the whole thing in under 30! We'll see how it goes. Good luck to you!

Hey Bleux- I Love the city of Nijmegen- I have done the 4 day marches 7 times- although I last did it the year it was cancelled after the first day because of the heat- have not gone back since! It is a beautiful city- I especially like going to the lake just outside the city, oh and the excellent swimming pool! Anyway Sorry diverted from the topic! Good luck in your run!
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone!

I am doing W1D3 Today, and i can't wait!!

Good luck to alll!!!