For Big Women on the Edge When the Subway is Too Crowded

Options

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! Love your story! To anyone who takes offense then you're the ones with a problem if you think this has anything to do with you.. gesss get over yourselves.

I would rather be squished in a train with a bunch of over weight people than a bunch of skinny bony rude hags with bags any day.
  • MadamUnique
    Options
    Good for you!! Love your story! To anyone who takes offense then you're the ones with a problem if you think this has anything to do with you.. gesss get over yourselves.

I would rather be squished in a train with a bunch of over weight people than a bunch of skinny bony rude hags with bags any day.

*Like*
  • PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This post was absolutely amazing!
    YOU GO GIRL! :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Discrimination against big purses is like the holocaust! People are trying to get rid of all big purses on the subway because they're not as good as small purses... Oh, the humanity!

We should make purses, and the people who wear them, a protected class.

BUT the rolling luggage people cannot be protected... if everyday you need to schlep in so much stuff that you need rolling bags rent a locker to keep your *kitten* in... Feel free to throw them onto the tracks

Ugh, I don't miss the NJTransit to PATH to Subway commute I had at all!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    So glad I live in a place where public transportation is not the norm.

Or in my case, non-existant.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Seriously! I'm going to write a letter.

^ this.

the only proven solution to every problem mankind has ever faced.

+1 :flowerforyou:
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Wow... this whole thread went off the tracks (see what I did there?!) all because people wanted to argue about who has the worst train ride. WTG!

Show off.

Don't hate me cuz I got jokes.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    WHAT has this turned into? People will take ANYTHING and twist it around into a way to insist on being offended. Oy.

I learned something new today. Butthurt. Look it up on the Urban Dictionary. It applies to the easily offended.

yep. goes hand in hand with losing your sense of humor. inversely proportional actually.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    People make me wanna quit MFP. Staying out the forums from now on.

Seriously? Someone has a differing viewpoint and it makes you wanna quit MFP?
    '
    I was wondering where the sound of foot stomping and door slamming was coming from... and here I thought it was my kids...oh wait it was a so called adult on MFP complaining cause someone doesn't agree with them...ahhhhhhh can we all say it together? ahhhhhhhhh
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    derailed thread is derailed. :frown:
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    It would be REALLY nice if people would NOT ASSUME that just because someone is "skinny", that they haven't struggled.

Ok...so I ate way too much over the course of 10 years and got fat. Like super fat. I made ALL those choices. I'm now fighting back and losing it. YAY ME.

That does not give me (or anyone else) the right to assume someone who is "skinny" or "underfed" just "hasn't lived a life like mine". You know..cuz eating disorders just are mythical and all.

GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like if the tables were reversed, the obvious hypocrisy would be more evident.

And don't get it twisted...I'm another chubster out there in the real world but for the most part, people are very nice to me....cuz I'm nice to them.

endrant/
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You are awesone! :flowerforyou:
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    Let me pat you on the back for standing up for yourself! Kudos to you!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Wow, really? People amaze me sometimes. That's some of why I live in the South, where folks are friendly and there's no subway... Wait a minute, if someone reading is reading this, don't become insulted if you're from the North.. I don't want to start a war, just joking, really...

Last time you Southerns tried that is did not work out so well... :smokin:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    did you get a seat? Wonder what you would have done if you had asked her if anyone was sitting there? Too bad you didnt cut a big old eggy fart in her face.
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    sigh. I live in NYC. I take the subway. A lot. Inevitably, the train will be packed. Just as inevitably, there will be a tiny skinny woman with a huge purse who will take umbrage with how much space I am occupying. Yes, I take up a fair amount of space. BUT I also make sure to zipper my coat and take my bag off so that the chances that I'm going to bump into someone are reduced. I am not the only person taking up a lot of space on a packed train. NY'ers do not have a lot of personal space. We live on top of each other. Meh. I learned to work and live around that. Like, I wouldn't sit in a space that is not the width of my shoulders. If my shoulders don't fit, my *kitten* wouldn't fit. (Fun fact! Cats' whiskers serve the same function!)

There is ALWAYS and I mean FREAKING ALWAYS some tiny, underfed chick with a HUGE purse that will start some ish with me. Seriously. Today I get on a train and go to the middle because I'm going to be on it for an hour. My right knee is wonky from having had a torn meniscus and the ensuing repair surgery years ago. The woman I wind up standing in front of is tiny, has a purse the size of RI on the seat next to her and is doing her best to take up as much space as possible. Someone later pointed out to me that she looked more like she was riding in the back of a cab than a bench on the subway. She huffs when I stand in front of her. With my big self. Taking up space that she clearly had claimed. After about 5 minutes of pouting and huffing, she asks me to move SO SHE WON'T KICK ME. I told her that I was fine, she wasn't going to kick me. Then she asked if I could just move half a step over. No, I could not. And then I was a lot of curse words and...wait for it...fat.

Every single time, it comes down to fat. I assure you, I put my pants on this morning. I know what size my butt is. This was just her way of trying to shame me for taking too much space, eating to much food, having the nerve to be big enough to be seen. So no, I was not going to back down. Not when HER BAG had a seat.

So. There was a shouting match. She also proclaimed her education (college, me too) and pedigree (claims to be a hood rat, I grew up in the projects) and FINALLY said she was PREGNANT. I maintained that she was a self important entitled *itch and no, I was not going to move because she had plenty of space. When she didn't get her way and said she'd kick my *kitten*, I told her she was welcome to try, I have about 100lbs on her.

In the end I calmed down because some nosy fellow passenger started showing me pictures of her kids. I remembered spending the weekend with my niece and nephews who are some of the most incredibly cute kids EVAR. The whole things stopped being worth it and I managed to defuse the situation.

Seriously though...f*** that fat shaming bs! I am comfortable in my own skin and I'm the one who has to live in it. I'm not doing this because I want to be the perfect size or because I'm worried about how people see me. Everything I'm doing is to live better and feel stronger.

This morning I noticed that I'm going up the stairs to the elevated subway with less effort. I swam for 45 minutes because I love swimming. I reveled in the feel of my muscles working to pull me through the water and later, the feel of my heart rate speeding up as I walked quickly. I ate 1231 calories total and I'm not hungry because I planned and prepared tasty, well balanced, nutritious, filling meals that I ate throughout the day. Oh and the pants I was wearing? That's the last time I wear them for anything other than bumming around the house because they're baggy and look like crap on me.

And you know, even if I lose all 140lbs of the weight I need to lose to be the perfect BMI I will NEVER back down or hide or try to be invisible. I will always stand my ground. Especially on the freaking subway.

what a rude nasty *****, I find it horrible that people think it's acceptable to judge others out loud on their size, it says plenty about her. You... you are a star!!! I wish her a severe case of thrush :happy:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Still doesn't change the fact that people treat obese people differently. Do you think its right?

I agree with you.

It's not right. It has parallels to the discrimination based on prejudice and ignorance that African Americans had to suffer leading to unfavourable outcomes based not on merit but a different quality they possessed: the colour of their skin as you say. The fact that obese people may not suffer this disadvantage due to genetic factors does not change the practical inherent unfairness of what they routinely have to experience "hey porkie, yeah I know you routinely suffer discrimination, particularly in the workplace, but at least it's not that bad because maybe one day you can change". Not much use if you are eminently equipped to do a job right now but you are not selected due to prejudice.

It's obviously not on the scale and of the overt nature of what went on in the past though. However it is based on the same kind of stupidity.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    It would be REALLY nice if people would NOT ASSUME that just because someone is "skinny", that they haven't struggled.

Ok...so I ate way too much over the course of 10 years and got fat. Like super fat. I made ALL those choices. I'm now fighting back and losing it. YAY ME.

That does not give me (or anyone else) to assume someone who is "skinny" or "underfed" just "hasn't lived a life like mine". You know..cuz eating disorders just are mythical and all.

GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like if the tables were reversed, the obvious hypocrisy would be more evident.

And don't get it twisted...I'm another chubster out there in the real world but for the most part, people are very nice to me....cuz I'm nice to them.

endrant/

Okay. But I plan to lose a lot of weight and get down to a healthy weight and I honestly hope no one thinks I'm "underfed". I'm aiming for the fit look, not the anorexic/starving look. So I guess I'm confused when the OP throws out the term "underfed" and a few women pipe up on here like that is referring to THEM. If you look underfed you are probably doing it wrong. Lift weights or something.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

That does not give me (or anyone else) the right to assume someone who is "skinny" or "underfed" just "hasn't lived a life like mine". You know..cuz eating disorders just are mythical and all.

GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

endrant/
    This is why I love you. I'm sorry OP had to run into an inconsiderate person, but why put size into it. Why make an ugly situation uglier? Nobody ever should.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    <slow clap>

<clap turns into thundering applause>

followed by a standing ovation!