For Vegans / Vegetarians only.

Options

Replies

• Frankenstein21
    Options
    I've was a vegetarian for 4 years, now I am a vegan. I can tell you since i stopped eating meat my "middle day naps" stopped. I had so much energy. Now, that i'm a vegan all i want to do is move. After i eat i feel energized, not full and sleepy! I also eat better, more fruits and veggies. I get more protein now than i did when i ate meat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So, tell me, why *do* you still eat meat? I may have missed it as I could nor be bothered to reread the stuff you keep posting on other threads.

I will have an occasional pizza slice, or sushi. I am not going to go hardcore on it, so I will not call myself a vegetarian. I did say plant based, which is accurate. I don't feel great after eating them, so I may stop eating it. However I am 2 months into it, I don't plan on jumping right into it only to stop. I have done my research and am moving at my own pace.

It's clear that you and I don't see eye to eye, so why come in here and start with me? Husband not giving you enough attention?

How can you say 'plant based' if you eat meat...what am I missing here?

Also, personal attacks...very tacky, very tacky indeed.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It's about doing the best that you have the means to do. No such thing as 100% vegan. Everyone has stepped on a bug without meaning to. Just do your best is the aim

So, if that's all it takes, one could assume that the Inuit are Vegan, since they are doing the best they can, given their environment, even though they eat FAR more meat than even the average American.

No...you're not allowed to get off that easily. I would accept that from any group of people EXCEPT for Vegans. Why? Because no other group of people has spent so much money, and so much time trying to amp up their moral superiority.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    As many of you know, the sheer ignorance of the general population when it comes to talking about a vegan / plant based diet is very misinformed. Most will say we are designed to be Omnivores (which is what our current diet suggests). Those that say we are carnivores just are too far gone to help anyway.

I wrote that title so we all know when a troll comes in - a non vegan/vegetarian shouldn't have even opened this thread if they were not interested in becoming or learning about it. :) & yes I'm prepared for the heat from people saying "I don't like your tone". Truth hurts everyone one time or another.

According to your cherry-picked list a rabbit is a carnivore.

What you are calling "science" is an agenda. An amusing uneducated, biology-poor balderdash.
    We are not "designed" but evolved. And the simple fact that a majority of the population eats as non-vegetarians makes us omnivorous. This was an evolutionary advantage because it allowed to cultivate, kill and eat high energy sources in inhospitable regions and during long winters.

That you want to be be vegeterian is perfectly fine, that you have an agenda is great, that you wish to spread the word? Go ahead. Ethical, moral or even health reasons - sure, post away.

But bad biology, bad science? I'm sure a lot of like minded people are going to call you on it.

BTW, if you want to focus your threads to a sub-population of people - start a group. The Food and Nutrition sub-board is intended for all, despite your title thread.

Can you please explain the rabbit thing to the rest of us how they are like carnivores?

Sure. From your list.

Facial Muscles
    CARNIVORE: Reduced to allow wide mouth gape
    HERBIVORE: Well-developed
    HUMAN: Well-developed
    Rabbit: Reduced and less well developped than humans

Jaw Type
    CARNIVORE: Angle not expanded
    HERBIVORE: Expanded angle
    OMNIVORE: Angle not expanded
    HUMAN: Expanded angle
    Rabbits: Angle not expanded

Jaw Joint Location
    CARNIVORE: On same plane as molar teeth
    HERBIVORE: Above the plane of the molars
    OMNIVORE: On same plane as molar teeth
    HUMAN: Above the plane of the molars
    Rabbit: About an inch above the plane, just like cats. (The carnivore description is wrong)

Jaw Motion
    CARNIVORE: Shearing; minimal side-to-side motion
    HERBIVORE: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back
    OMNIVORE: Shearing; minimal side-to-side
    HUMAN: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back
    Rabbits: Shearing AND good side to side. WTF?

Major Jaw Muscles
    CARNIVORE: Temporalis
    HERBIVORE: Masseter and pterygoids
    OMNIVORE: Temporalis
    HUMAN: Masseter and pterygoids
    Rabbits: masseter, temporalis and pterygoid muscles are present and well developped.

Mouth Opening vs. Head Size
    CARNIVORE: Large
    HERBIVORE: Small
    OMNIVORE: Large
    HUMAN: Small
    Rabbit: ?? Larger than humans.

Teeth: Incisors
    CARNIVORE: Short and pointed
    HERBIVORE: Broad, flattened and spade shaped
    OMNIVORE: Short and pointed
    HUMAN: Broad, flattened and spade shaped
    Rabbits: Large and pointed incisors. And two tiny short and pointed incisors. Called peg teeth..

Teeth: Canines
    CARNIVORE: Long, sharp and curved
    HERBIVORE: Dull and short or long (for defense), or none
    OMNIVORE: Long, sharp and curved
    HUMAN: Short and blunted
    Rabbits: None - note that this is different than humans (your "herbivore" example...)

Teeth: Molars
    CARNIVORE: Sharp, jagged and blade shaped
    HERBIVORE: Flattened with cusps vs complex surface
    OMNIVORE: Sharp blades and/or flattened
    HUMAN: Flattened with nodular cusps
    Rabbits: cheek teeth are not proper molars and are sharp and blade with complex surfaces, open rooted and continue to grow.

Chewing
    CARNIVORE: None; swallows food whole
    HERBIVORE: Extensive chewing necessary
    OMNIVORE: Swallows food whole and/or simple crushing
    HUMAN: Extensive chewing necessary
    Rabbits: Chew, spit, rechew, and they also eat their scat - like dogs and cats. Biotin.

Saliva
    CARNIVORE: No digestive enzymes
    HERBIVORE: Carbohydrate digesting enzymes
    OMNIVORE: No digestive enzymes
    HUMAN: Carbohydrate digesting enzymes
    Rabbits: Yep, enzymes.

Stomach Type
    CARNIVORE: Simple
    HERBIVORE: Simple or multiple chambers
    OMNIVORE: Simple
    HUMAN: Simple
    Rabbit: simple...

... etc...

Some are different, but come on, many are similar and you just worded differently. You had the chance to prove your point and you **** the bed. Even baboons have huge teeth and they are still 95% vegetarian. There are minor exceptions to the list of course.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    It's about doing the best that you have the means to do. No such thing as 100% vegan. Everyone has stepped on a bug without meaning to. Just do your best is the aim

So, if that's all it takes, one could assume that the Inuit are Vegan, since they are doing the best they can, given their environment, even though they eat FAR more meat than even the average American.

No...you're not allowed to get off that easily. I would accept that from any group of people EXCEPT for Vegans. Why? Because no other group of people has spent so much money, and so much time trying to amp up their moral superiority.

:(

I think this isn't fair.

You just met too many people like OP and not enough like me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I find it highly ironic that you have a person who actually eats meat, preaching the benefits of not eating meat to people who do not eat meat.

Plus, it is also ironic that I, as an actual vegetarian (for 25 years), totally disagree with the whole 'we were not meant to eat meat look at our teeth' argument, but the meat eater does agree with it and therefore is doing something that by his own argument is 'unnatural'

This site baffled me sometimes.
  • phangirl8
    phangirl8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The problem is people (vegetarians posting on here) talking about embarrassed for this and that. They insult me for voicing an opinion and facts
    It's because nobody really likes a preachy, militant lecture, it makes all vegetarians/vegans look bad. Meat eaters end up tarring us all with the militant brush once they've been on the receiving end of a self righteous ear bashing from some over zealous veggie. I've been 100% vegetarian and 98% vegan for 24 years and I've never dictated to anyone what they should or shouldn't be eating, it's down to personal choice. If anything, you're less likely to convert people by getting all preachy about the issue...
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    So, tell me, why *do* you still eat meat? I may have missed it as I could nor be bothered to reread the stuff you keep posting on other threads.

I will have an occasional pizza slice, or sushi. I am not going to go hardcore on it, so I will not call myself a vegetarian. I did say plant based, which is accurate. I don't feel great after eating them, so I may stop eating it. However I am 2 months into it, I don't plan on jumping right into it only to stop. I have done my research and am moving at my own pace.

It's clear that you and I don't see eye to eye, so why come in here and start with me? Husband not giving you enough attention?

oooh...and now he's bringing out the misogyny! Just incase anyone didnt' already notice what a jerk he is being!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The problem is people (vegetarians posting on here) talking about embarrassed for this and that. They insult me for voicing an opinion and facts
    It's because nobody really likes a preachy, militant lecture, it makes all vegetarians/vegans look bad. Meat eaters end up tarring us all with the militant brush once they've been on the receiving end of a self righteous ear bashing from some over zealous veggie. I've been 100% vegetarian and 98% vegan for 24 years and I've never dictated to anyone what they should or shouldn't be eating, it's down to personal choice. If anything, you're less likely to convert people by getting all preachy about the issue...

*nods*
  • jjrichard83
    Options

the diet is plant BASED. What are you missing? BASED - a foundation of plants. It doesn't mean the whole thing has to be plants. That is just the majority of my diet. Maybe what you were missing was a basic knowledge of the definition of a simple word like that.

Definition:

Verb
    Have as the foundation for (something); use as a point from which (something) can develop: "the film is based on a novel".
    Situate as the center of operations: "a research program based at the University of Arizona"; "a London-based band".

See... If a business is BASED in London, but has offices in other parts of the world, it doesn't mean they are 100% in London.
    BASED... in case you didn't know, it is closely related to the word BASE (past tense of that word).

You are welcome.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    I find it highly ironic that you have a person who actually eats meat, preaching the benefits of not eating meat to people who do not eat meat.

Plus, it is also ironic that I, as an actual vegetarian (for 25 years), totally disagree with the whole 'we were not meant to eat meat look at our teeth' argument, but the meat eater does agree with it and therefore is doing something that by his own argument is 'unnatural'

Thanks, Sara for being a SMART vegetarian on MFP.

I'm officially done with OP. I can handle stupid, but I can't handle sexist comments. So I'm outta here.
  • jjrichard83
    Options

I'm officially done with OP. I can handle stupid, but I can't handle sexist comments. So I'm outta here.

I thought you would have been gone when I SYA. thankfully I found the way to have you leave. Only if it would work for the other lady now...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I think this isn't fair.

Last I checked, you were a Vegetarian, not a Vegan, so you're in the clear. ;) I am pretty sure that Vegans pretty much lump Lacto-ovos in with the rest of us meat eaters when it comes to their morality propaganda. xD
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

I thought you would have been gone when I SYA. thankfully I found the way to have you leave. Only if it would work for the other lady now...

:flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

the diet is plant BASED. What are you missing? BASED - a foundation of plants. It doesn't mean the whole thing has to be plants. That is just the majority of my diet. Maybe what you were missing was a basic knowledge of the definition of a simple word like that.

Definition:

Verb
    Have as the foundation for (something); use as a point from which (something) can develop: "the film is based on a novel".
    Situate as the center of operations: "a research program based at the University of Arizona"; "a London-based band".

See... If a business is BASED in London, but has offices in other parts of the world, it doesn't mean they are 100% in London.
    BASED... in case you didn't know, it is closely related to the word BASE (past tense of that word).

You are welcome.

Considering most people actually eat more than 50% of their food from plants....then most people could say that...but Whatever justification/label makes you feel good....
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    Why do vegetarians and vegans think they are "all in this together". It's a diet & way of life. Personal choice. Don't be such an idiot with comments of embarrassment.

How would you know since you're neither?

I shared my random thought...and it's more of value than the blathering about what saliva means. People either choose to eat meat or not to eat meat, etc. I seriously doubt many, if any...chose to be a vegetarian or not by the amount of saliva we produce. It's just silliness to continue to be preachy. I'm vegetarian for my own reasons....and feel no need to be Soapbox McSoaperson about it.

It shows how smart you are not... Biology and science play into why we eat, and the feelings associated with certain foods. How moronic dose someone have to be to say that our saliva and digestive enzymes don't matter?

Ah...the meat eating OP says I am not smart because I make my food choices based on personal ethics instead of biology and science. And then the OP says earlier that everyone makes their own personal choices when it comes to their own food journey.

Well, when the meat eating OP starts following all the things he is blathering on about...I'll worry about how smart or not he thinks I am. Nah, not even then.

If you read what you wrote, you still wouldn't realize how much of a stunned ****** you are. There is science behind the enzymes, which you just disregarded.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

I think this isn't fair.

Last I checked, you were a Vegetarian, not a Vegan, so you're in the clear. ;) I am pretty sure that Vegans pretty much lump Lacto-ovos in with the rest of us meat eaters when it comes to their morality propaganda. xD

My son is vegan. We should talk about this sometime :) He went vegan on his own 7 years ago.

ETA: I was vegan for 11 years, too. It's a NOOB thing for vegans to be so self-righteous. It gets old after a few years, I promise <3
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

INORITE???

MFP. Seriously.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Sorry...you obviously have an issue with people disagreeing with you...or maybe based on your other comment, you just have an issue with women disagreeing with you.