what does skinny fat look like?

Options
Can anyone show pictures or share links or give a description of what skinny fat looks like? I know it is from not exercising but what does it actually look like naked or in bathing suit?

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    To me it would be someone who looks good fully clothed, or is in their perfect 'weight range', but is very flabby with no muscle definition when naked. Yuck!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    http://fivehourfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/skinny-fat-female-model.jpg

look at her butt and rolls
    she is very skinny, yet she has quite a lot of fat

(this is very "mild" case of skinny fat)

also this
    http://www.herdaily.com/health/11082/when-is-skinny-unhealthy.html
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I think I am THE definition of skinny fat! :)
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ewww that link was awful. I certainly don't want to be skinny fat. It's as bad as being fat.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    well I might be skinny fat ...but just had the best lab results come back from a yearly check up that even impressed my doctor. she said I'm extremely healthy. Do I have a flat stomach? No. I don't lift heavy...my arms aren't going to look like they are 18 ever again. I do lift some light weights and am working on a bit of that flabby arm crap that women my age get. ( that's where the most of my skinny fat is) . I am HEALTHY and that's where it ends for me. Label me what you will.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    If I knew how to post pics I'd post mine in a bathing suit...and guys! don't ewwww! We're all trying to improve our health and bodies on here and it's not nice to say a certain body type looks "ew" :) I have felt ashamed of my skinny fat body for a long time!
  • bootsiejayne
    Options
    I was commenting on the model in the link ONLY. My sister is "skinny fat" but she looks dang good in a two piece so that ewww comment was not directed at anyone on this forum. Only on the model and mainly on her booty. Didn't mean to offend anyone. If I did, I'm very sorry. :flowerforyou:
  • peachfigs
    Options
    I was commenting on the model in the link ONLY. My sister is "skinny fat" but she looks dang good in a two piece so that ewww comment was not directed at anyone on this forum. Only on the model and mainly on her booty. Didn't mean to offend anyone. If I did, I'm very sorry. :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Me too. I look okay clothed, but in a two piece..oh dear... LOL
  • bootsiejayne
    Options
    And in the regard to the model, I'd still take her body over mine. :laugh:
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options

:flowerforyou: Me too. I look okay clothed, but in a two piece..oh dear... LOL

Me too. I am working on making my body look great in a 2 piece. Bought one not too long ago for motivation!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I kinda think it's a bad idea to go down this road posting pics. It gets into body-shaming pretty quickly. OP just do a google search.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    To me it would be someone who looks good fully clothed, or is in their perfect 'weight range', but is very flabby with no muscle definition when naked. Yuck!
    yeah lets make people feel even worse about themselves by making up more demeaning words....

one question:

can men be 'skinny fat' too? cos ive only heard it in relation to women...and i am not here for that.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    yeah lets make people feel even worse about themselves by making up more demeaning words....

one question:

can men be 'skinny fat' too? cos ive only heard it in relation to women...and i am not here for that.

My boyfriend looks slim but has a flabby stomach. I'm not really sure, I think men CAN be skinny fat, but it looks slightly different to women as women can have cellulite too, and it usually gathers around the hips and thighs. :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If I knew how to post pics I'd post mine in a bathing suit...and guys! don't ewwww! We're all trying to improve our health and bodies on here and it's not nice to say a certain body type looks "ew" :) I have felt ashamed of my skinny fat body for a long time!
    If you meant my mention of ewww, I was thinking of my own body. I've lost a lot of weight and yeah, I look awesome in size 8 jeans but without them, yuck! I apologize if I offended anyone. I'm a recovered anorexic/bulimic and I'll never have a good body image of myself. And yeah, we should love our bodies no matter what, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement. I know that I'm healthier now and I'm lifting and running to change mine.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Here some tips to become skinny-fat:

1. Eat a Vegan Diet – If you don’t want to eat any meat, your body will just eat you instead. Unfortunately it’s on a low fat diet in this case.

2. Do lots of cardio – Training your body to be catabolic, breaking down muscle and to store fat is great if you want that “I used to be 300 lbs until I got sick” look.

3. Take lots of thermogenic fat burners – Nothing like turning up the furnace while the windows are open. The room might get warmer, but the bill in the end is never pleasant. Thermogenic maybe be short term fat burners, but in the long run they are more muscle burners and long term fat storers.

4. Go on a low calorie starvation diet – The HCG diet is a great examples. It’s like paying for the experience of a prison camp without making any new undesirable friends.

5. Join weight watchers – Obviously the only point these people haven’t gotten is that if you want to be healthy you should eat a healthy diet and exercise. Is there an app for that?

6. Take a spin class – Did you know spinning classes actually increase lower body fat. Do enough of them and you might slim your waist after you have completely fried your adrenals, but by then you will be sports some major cottage cheese thighs.

7. Never pick up a weight ever – I’m serious, it will make you so huge you will have to walk sideways down the hall to your office. Ok not really, but you know that age old testament, if you don’t use it you lose it. Well it’s pretty accurate when it comes to muscle tissue. If you don’t want to be Skeletor for next Halloween, then you might start moving some iron.

8. Skip meals – Skipping meals is like training for fat storage. The more you go without proper nutrition the more you tell you body to store fat for these long breaks.

9. Eat lots of Gluten – Nothing says lose muscle and store fat like a highly inflammatory food that depletes your body of vital nutrients and damages your digestive tract making it harder for you to get nutrients from the rest of your diet.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    If you meant my mention of ewww, I was thinking of my own body. I've lost a lot of weight and yeah, I look awesome in size 8 jeans but without them, yuck! I apologize if I offended anyone. I'm a recovered anorexic/bulimic and I'll never have a good body image of myself. And yeah, we should love our bodies no matter what, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement. I know that I'm healthier now and I'm lifting and running to change mine.

That's okay! I think for me, being skinny fat can be a little weird as you don't always 'belong' anywhere. I have 'skinny' friends and 'overweight' friends (I'm really sorry about using these labels, I hate them) and I can't identify with either because my body is a mix of the two.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think that "skinny fat" model is just a case of what happens to a normal body in motion, when the photos aren't digitally edited beyond reality. In other words, unflattering shots. Most of what people call skinny fat on here are unflattering photos or normal body fat vs ultra lean. Posture and lighting can make a HUGE difference, as can flexing vs not flexing.

This was on Facebook a couple of weeks ago from "Fitness Model Amanda Adams."
    528991_486420038059855_266959247_n_zps7052b804.jpg
    Ladies..Ladies...Ladies... lol Don't be discouraged by what I call "Professional Mirror Self Pic Takers" haha that's what I like to call myself sometimes and there are tons of us out there ;) Now these two pics were literally taken within 2 seconds of each other, just different facial expression, posing, lighting, wardrobe adjustments etc etc. It's always good to follow girls to give you motivation, BUT most girls that have done photo shoots know how to pose best to take a good pic haha (did I just embarrass myself? Yeah....lol)
    -Lighting? Instagram filters are awesome to make your muscles pop and add shadows in all the right places
    -Heels? That will make your leg muscles pop...duh (but shhh you don't have to actually SHOW the heels in the pic lol)
    -Sexy face or Happy face? Well that shows you have confidence lol which suddenly makes you look 100% better than a "I hate life facial expression"
    -Lotion? Well obviously your muscles will pop out more...
    -Loose pants/bottoms on? If they are tight...well hello skin roll
    -Chest out? Boobs Out? Arms Back, Hips twisted Made my sports bra "tighter" to make my boobs "perkier" haha... etc etc etc etc...
    -Pants - Pants in first pic cut off at the middle of my stomach and are super tight...which is well easier to have "skin rolls" and just yeah... roll em down which then makes you torso look LONGER. lol

It's so sad but also really funny and true...Now I'm not saying this to make fun of people (hello...I do it weekly) But it's to show you all that you really can't compare your progress to other people's pictures!!! Look at them for motivation and that's it! ;) LOVE YOU ALL!

Skinny fat just means someone has excessive body fat, so except in extreme conditions, it just makes someone look heavier than they would if they had lower body fat at the same weight.

When I lost weight by stupidly eating very low calories years ago (under 1000 a day), I reached my goal weight, but I wasn't happy with my body composition. And there's no way I'd have taken a swimsuit photo. I was about 130 pounds, but I had a muffin top, back fat rolls, double chins, etc. Since I was eating so poorly, I lost a larger percentage of lean mass. THIS time around, I ate 1700-2200+ total calories, and looked a lot better at the same weight.

five-years-later.jpg

The bottom jeans were the size 8 that I was so happy to wear when I reached 130 back then, and the top are the ones I wear now. They're size 5 in juniors, but I typically wear 2 or 4 in misses. I'm about two inches smaller all over, because I was better at losing body fat.

IMG_3265.jpg

Like I said, this time around, I lost weight a lot smarter. But I still wasn't "finished" when I reached my goal weight. But I wasn't skinny fat. I had a normal body fat percentage. Probably around 25%. But with good nutrition and weight lifting, I was able to reduce my body fat percentage to the "athletic" range, estimated around 20%.

I'm the same weight in both sets of photos.

135-front.jpg

135-back-flex.jpg

135-back.jpg

135-side.jpg
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options

one question:

Absolutely! I had never heard the term "skinny fat" until I joined MFP but I knew pretty much what it meant as soon as I heard it. I prefer to think of it as "norm" weight range with no muscle definition. Same thing, but different focus. I prefer the "athletic" look, not just skinny.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Here some tips to become skinny-fat:

2. Do lots of cardio – Training your body to be catabolic, breaking down muscle and to store fat is great if you want that “I used to be 300 lbs until I got sick” look.

6. Take a spin class – Did you know spinning classes actually increase lower body fat. Do enough of them and you might slim your waist after you have completely fried your adrenals, but by then you will be sports some major cottage cheese thighs.

I think these points were a bit much.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Yes. It's the reason I train now. Why can't men be skinny fat? It's just when a person has skinny limbs and a flabby central area so, as above, they look fine clothed, but look a bit rubbish naked.