what does skinny fat look like?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    it looks like 5'4" which a bmi of 17.3 but jiggly butt and thighs.

Aren't butts and thighs SUPPOSED TO have jiggle to them?

I've been in races with some incredibly lean, incredibly fit women - and men - and everyone jiggles a little when they're moving. The guys too.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The term makes me feel ill. Can't we just say thin people who have not toned up? Thin, but jiggly? Untoned body? Which are all perfectly OKAY.

Because that's NOT what it is. It's not someone with some jiggle or untoned. It's someone with enough body fat to qualify as obese or overweight, while having a normal to low bodyweight.
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Here some tips to become skinny-fat:

1. Eat a Vegan Diet – If you don’t want to eat any meat, your body will just eat you instead. Unfortunately it’s on a low fat diet in this case.

2. Do lots of cardio – Training your body to be catabolic, breaking down muscle and to store fat is great if you want that “I used to be 300 lbs until I got sick” look.

3. Take lots of thermogenic fat burners – Nothing like turning up the furnace while the windows are open. The room might get warmer, but the bill in the end is never pleasant. Thermogenic maybe be short term fat burners, but in the long run they are more muscle burners and long term fat storers.

4. Go on a low calorie starvation diet – The HCG diet is a great examples. It’s like paying for the experience of a prison camp without making any new undesirable friends.

5. Join weight watchers – Obviously the only point these people haven’t gotten is that if you want to be healthy you should eat a healthy diet and exercise. Is there an app for that?

6. Take a spin class – Did you know spinning classes actually increase lower body fat. Do enough of them and you might slim your waist after you have completely fried your adrenals, but by then you will be sports some major cottage cheese thighs.

7. Never pick up a weight ever – I’m serious, it will make you so huge you will have to walk sideways down the hall to your office. Ok not really, but you know that age old testament, if you don’t use it you lose it. Well it’s pretty accurate when it comes to muscle tissue. If you don’t want to be Skeletor for next Halloween, then you might start moving some iron.

8. Skip meals – Skipping meals is like training for fat storage. The more you go without proper nutrition the more you tell you body to store fat for these long breaks.

9. Eat lots of Gluten – Nothing says lose muscle and store fat like a highly inflammatory food that depletes your body of vital nutrients and damages your digestive tract making it harder for you to get nutrients from the rest of your diet.

^^^^^^555 what positive encouragement !! thanks, I enjoyed my reading!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will work...if not copy & paste :)

screenshot20130217at131.png

but yes, here's my "yuck" body that looks "good in clothes but rubbish naked" :laugh:

You're nuts.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

2. Do lots of cardio – Training your body to be catabolic, breaking down muscle and to store fat is great if you want that “I used to be 300 lbs until I got sick” look.

6. Take a spin class – Did you know spinning classes actually increase lower body fat. Do enough of them and you might slim your waist after you have completely fried your adrenals, but by then you will be sports some major cottage cheese thighs.

I think these points were a bit much.

Agreed... I do a lot of cardio, including spinning, and I'm hardly "skinny fat".

(BTW, that first photo is of Karolina Kurkova, one of THE most famous Victorias Secret models. That photo was actually photoshopped to give her a bit of extra fat... she doesn't look like that at all. It's a fake photo. I understand it is for example purposes but it's not real.)

Regardless, "skinny fat" is a relative term. What one person considers SF another may not. Its like asking, "what does a fat person look like? What does a skinny person look like?" It is going to depend on the person answering the question.

Medical terms of "Obese" and "Normal weight obesity" are much less subjective however. They are based on body fat percentages and are actual medical diagnosis, not just someone's personal opinion. I think that more people should be aware of Normal Weight Obesity, as it is an actual medical condition and carries risks of heart disease and diabetes just like Obesity does (as well as other ailments) but does not garner the same attention. If the term "skinny fat", disgusting as it is, helps to get that information out there and draw attention to NWO perhaps its a good thing.

Like others have said, normal weight obesity is a medical term, a diagnosis that would be made by a professional after blood tests and medical examination. 'Skinny- fat' is a colloquial term that perhaps originally derived from the medical term of Normal Weight Obesity, but is now being used for body-shaming, and is directed at anyone, mostly women, who do not lift heavy, or those who eat at a lower calorie amount, and like to do cardio for exercise.
    No one on this site has the credentials or ability to diagnose anyone else on here as being 'skinny-fat' based solely upon the way they look, or their choice of exercise method.

Mental retardation is a medical term used by professionals, however, the term 'retarded' has become a very offensive term that is no longer acceptable, as it is used as an insult and is very offensive to those with disabilities.
    I would hope that the un-official term of 'skinny-fat', would become no longer acceptable for use on this site as well. But as long as body-shaming still exists, I imagine this term will continue to be used. And young women will continue to feel shame every time they see it described on here and they look in the mirror to see they are less than perfect.

Yes, it is grossly misused on this site every day, and is used as an insult.

I actually haven't seen that either. I don't think the term skinny-fat is offensive. If someone appears thin but their body fat % is in the overweight to obese range, they are fat. Body fat percentage is a much better indicator than BMI and no one is shaming anyone. You are entirely too sensitive.

I have never been accused of being too sensitive by anyone, other than my older sister who is a blatant 'witch' who covers up her low self-esteem by insulting everyone in her path, then if they call her out on it, she says they are 'too sensitive'. But that is just my issue with her.

I am secure enough at 49, that I am not going to have my self-worth affected by anything a stranger on an internet forum throws at me. However, there are many young girls on here that are still struggling with body image and self-worth, and when they see pics posted on here and people responding how horrible the girl's body looks, and they look in the mirror and see the same thing, it can be quite damaging.

If you honestly have not seen anyone on here use skinny fat as an insult, go read some of the 1200 calorie threads. That term gets thrown around a lot in those.

Some people may not have a problem with it, and may even use it to describe themselves, but that doesn't take away the fact that it is often misused, and is used as an insult towards certain body types.

One poster above described it as someone who has skinny arms and legs and a lot of fat in the midsection. Are you not aware that this is a genetic body shape? It is called an apple shape. Apples carry their extra fat in their midsection, whereas Pears carry their extra fat in their hips and thighs.
    They both can lose body fat all over, but the last place it will leave is where they predominately carry that BF. That is the hardest fat to lose. You cannot spot reduce fat, so it doesn't matter what type of exercise you do, only an overall calorie deficit will get rid of that fat.
    Yes, building muscle will help raise your BMR so that you burn more fat, but you can't determine where they fat will come from.

I am an apple shape. Even at my thinnest, I have always had extra fat around my waist. Even 20 yrs ago, when I was training with pro body builders and had some amazingly strong, well-defined muscles, and not an ounce of fat anywhere else, I still had fat in my midsection. There is only one inch between the bottom rib and my hip bone. Doesn't leave much room for the 'hourglass' shape. lol.

I was not 'skinny-fat' then, and now, 40 pounds heavier, I am not 'skinny-fat' either. Now I am just fat, but getting leaner.

I just wish we could get away from the skinny and fat labels and concentrate more on Healthy or Unhealthy.

ETA, and yes, I do see the irony in my last 2 statements :bigsmile:

I seriously think you're reading insults in to factual statements. High visceral fat is not an insult, it's a dangerous medical condition. A person can be a healthy weight, but if they have high visceral fat they're at equal risk for obesity-related diseases- including hypertension, diabetes, stroke, high cholesterol, cancers, etc- as any other obese person. In fact, their risk might be higher, because they're less likely to be aware of the risks and adjust their lifestyles accordingly.

As far as apple vs. pear shapes- yes, it is a body type. Unfortunately, it's much riskier to have an apple body-type than a pear type. Two women, otherwise equal- at the same body weight and same BF%, if one is a pear and one is an apple, the pear has much lower disease risk factors. It's not 'shaming' to be aware of clinical risk factors. One of the reasons that waist-to-hip ratio is currently being favored as a better risk factor predictor is that carrying midsection weight is dangerous. Unfortunately it does mean that apple shaped people may have to work harder and maintain a lower body fat percentage to be equally healthy as their pear-shaped counterparts.It sucks, but it's reality.
  • michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Come on, do some people really have to say ewww?

Id never even come across the term until joining mfp.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Can anyone show pictures or share links or give a description of what skinny fat looks like? I know it is from not exercising but what does it actually look like naked or in bathing suit?

Can anyone show naked or bathing suit pictures of skinny fat?

Um.

There are fetish websites for just about everything. Just saying.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    you can only see bones and no muscles
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    ewww that link was awful. I certainly don't want to be skinny fat. It's as bad as being fat.
    Ewww saying that was awful lol. Think before you type.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I freaked out over skinny fat....talked with my docs.

SKINNY FAT is a thinner person with no visible muscle tone.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options

1. Eat a Vegan Diet – If you don’t want to eat any meat, your body will just eat you instead. Unfortunately it’s on a low fat diet in this case.

You can't be serious here - I actually have done quite well on a vegan diet!!! I do lift weights, heavy ones at that, and used a plant-based protein supplement as well as vegan-friendly multi-vitamins...and my gains in muscle definition has been great.

I have since gone back to just a vegetarian diet and supplement with Whey protein, but making generalizations like this really set me off!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I freaked out over skinny fat....talked with my docs.

SKINNY FAT is a thinner person with no visible muscle tone.
    Based on your pic, skinny fat is not something you should be remotely concerned with.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I seriously think you're reading insults in to factual statements. High visceral fat is not an insult, it's a dangerous medical condition. A person can be a healthy weight, but if they have high visceral fat they're at equal risk for obesity-related diseases- including hypertension, diabetes, stroke, high cholesterol, cancers, etc- as any other obese person. In fact, their risk might be higher, because they're less likely to be aware of the risks and adjust their lifestyles accordingly.

As far as apple vs. pear shapes- yes, it is a body type. Unfortunately, it's much riskier to have an apple body-type than a pear type. Two women, otherwise equal- at the same body weight and same BF%, if one is a pear and one is an apple, the pear has much lower disease risk factors. It's not 'shaming' to be aware of clinical risk factors. One of the reasons that waist-to-hip ratio is currently being favored as a better risk factor predictor is that carrying midsection weight is dangerous. Unfortunately it does mean that apple shaped people may have to work harder and maintain a lower body fat percentage to be equally healthy as their pear-shaped counterparts.It sucks, but it's reality.

Yay, Bean!! You're so smart!! I love it when you take the words right off my fingertips so I don't have to write all of that!! :happy:
  • CoderGal
    Options
    5'7 120 sedentary -> 120 hiking allot. There's only a month in the diifference of these 2 pics.

I managed to hide my butt but let me tell you there was a huge improvement. There's a reason why I choose those loose fitting jean shorts...Anything tight cut into my little gut. And I had a lack of muscles to begin with from shedding all the weight sedentary, but notice when I started exercising what little muscle I had started to become visible. I know the lighting is a bit different but I was self conscious and the whole time I wasn't exercising I didn't see any signs of muscle in the mirror:

292108_10151751503605607_2077553503_a.jpg535356_10151751503765607_1690500749_a.jpg
    533026_10151751503890607_1389625307_a.jpg542074_10151751504035607_74258415_a.jpg
    179958_10151751504245607_165435170_a.jpg303367_10151751504375607_905840960_a.jpg

I'm lifting weights now and the lines are much more visible in my stomach and my arms have really slimmed down. I really hated my arms.
  • angelsb0nes
    angelsb0nes Posts: 17 Member
    Options

You can't be serious here - I actually have done quite well on a vegan diet!!! I do lift weights, heavy ones at that, and used a plant-based protein supplement as well as vegan-friendly multi-vitamins...and my gains in muscle definition has been great.

I have since gone back to just a vegetarian diet and supplement with Whey protein, but making generalizations like this really set me off!
    Exactly what I was thinking! There are more ways to get protein than just eating meat.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    0EF35660-566E-41E5-8163-3F6D54FE0524-229-0000001EFA06CF16_zps6a2400c6.jpg

Left picture: lifting heavy three times a week, 148 pounds
    Right picture: ten years older, no exercise except minimal running and some tap dancing for the last six years. Absolutely no upper body exertion, even light house work etc. And mostly vegan for the last three months. There's a difference but I wouldn't say there is no detectable muscle at all. 148 pounds.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    And in the regard to the model, I'd still take her body over mine. :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    ewww that link was awful. I certainly don't want to be skinny fat. It's as bad as being fat.
    Ewww saying that was awful lol. Think before you type.

I completely agree, there's some very discouraging comments on this thread.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    0EF35660-566E-41E5-8163-3F6D54FE0524-229-0000001EFA06CF16_zps6a2400c6.jpg

Left picture: lifting heavy three times a week, 148 pounds
    Right picture: ten years older, no exercise except minimal running and some tap dancing for the last six years. Absolutely no upper body exertion, even light house work etc. And mostly vegan for the last three months. There's a difference but I wouldn't say there is no detectable muscle at all. 148 pounds.
    Much better example then mine, thanks for posting!
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    Okay now I'm really confused. I thought cardio was a good thing?