what does skinny fat look like?

Options

Replies

• LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will work...if not copy & paste :)

screenshot20130217at131.png

but yes, here's my "yuck" body that looks "good in clothes but rubbish naked" :laugh:

For goodness sake, I WISH I looked this good naked.

I second that! You looks great!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I was what a doctor would call skinny-fat after I finished chemo.

I weighted right around 132 pounds with a 34% body fat. It took a year and a half to get sub-20 %.

Most people who call themselves skinny-fat, or who others call skinny-fat really aren't.

I agree. It's often used to mean someone who's at a healthy weight but has no muscle definition. However there's nothing unhealthy about that.

skinny fat = underweight according to lean body mass (i.e. the body has too little lean tissue) plus an obese amount of body fat, so it's a combination of being underweight and overfat at the same time. the lack of lean body mass combined with excess fat mass evens out to be a healthy weight.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I say I'm skinny fat, but I don't know if I am really. I don't know how to get an accurate calculation of my body fat percentage without spending money, and I'm a bit short of that right now!

I do know for sure that I'm unfit though - but I kind of see it as the same thing as being skinny fat. Isn't it generally accepted that being a healthy weight is good, but being a healthy weight AND strong and fit is better? Or have I missed the point somewhere?
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I say I'm skinny fat, but I don't know if I am really. I don't know how to get an accurate calculation of my body fat percentage without spending money, and I'm a bit short of that right now!

I do know for sure that I'm unfit though - but I kind of see it as the same thing as being skinny fat. Isn't it generally accepted that being a healthy weight is good, but being a healthy weight AND strong and fit is better? Or have I missed the point somewhere?

being at a healthy weight does not automatically make you healthy. even if your body composition is healthy (i.e. lean body mass and body fat percentage both in the healthy range), it doesn't automatically make you healthy.

everyone needs to eat healthy and exercise for good health, whether they're overweight or not. IMO it's a big problem that many people are lulled into a false sense of security because they're at a healthy weight and think they don't need to eat healthy or exercise. Slim people can get metabolic diseases if they eat junk and don't exercise.

so I agree with you, you should exercise and try to get fit. You're probably not skinny-fat. It's actually quite difficult to be skinny-fat, as you'd need to starve off a significant amount of lean body mass to get there. That can happen due to crash dieting or serious illness.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

but yes, here's my "yuck" body that looks "good in clothes but rubbish naked" :laugh:

For goodness sake, I WISH I looked this good naked.

I second that! You looks great!

I third it. You look fantastic and you do not look remotely skinny fat. You look good :flowerforyou:
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So let me ask a question about this topic to set it clear. What BF % range would you characterize someone as skinny fat? I was at the assumption for men it would be 18% minimum depending on body weight and height and I don't know for women.
  • emelia_
    Options
    I think of skinny fat as people who are very skinny but have a muffin top over there pants that otherwise fit them. Girls tend to get a bad rap for this because men just have more muscle and most don't have this problem. Girls that do cardio (the 6.0mph for the same amount of time every day kind of girls) sometimes have this problem. All in all it doesn't mean something is wrong with them! It's just that they don't have a lot of muscle and they probably could tone up very easily by running on an incline, sprints, and lifting weights (not the 3lb weights, the toddler I babysit plays with those).
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Most ridiculous term! Can you be "Skinny" and unhealthy? Sure based on your diet you probably can. Just because a female has cellulite and a few rolls and weighs 130lbs. Does NOT make her skinny fat. Got news for you I'm 54 and if you think gravity and cellulite, loose skin, doesn't take over at some point for all of us no matter how heavy we lift, how far we run, or how many calories we burn and how clean we eat well good luck with your magical thinking. I am probably the definition of your "skinny fat". However my body is physically fit, my blood work is perfect and I eat clean probably 90% of the time, but I don't look great in a bikini by anyone's standards, but mine. Who cares??? I'm physically healthy and seriously folks that is what really matters here.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    So let me ask a question about this topic to set it clear. What BF % range would you characterize someone as skinny fat? I was at the assumption for men it would be 18% minimum depending on body weight and height and I don't know for women.

the same as the obese range (as defined by body fat percentage) as for anyone else

skinny fat = normal weight obesity = normal range BMI, obese levels of body fat

Obesity is usually defined as more than 35% in women, and 30% in men. However some define it as more than 30% in women and 25% in men. (I'm not going to argue the difference between these) There's an "overfat" range that is between the healthy range and the obese range (just as there is for BMI)

anyone who's in the normal BMI range with the above amounts of body fat, would be "skinny-fat"
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Most ridiculous term! Can you be "Skinny" and unhealthy? Sure based on your diet you probably can. Just because a female has cellulite and a few rolls and weighs 130lbs. Does NOT make her skinny fat. Got news for you I'm 54 and if you think gravity and cellulite, loose skin, doesn't take over at some point for all of us no matter how heavy we lift, how far we run, or how many calories we burn and how clean we eat well good luck with your magical thinking. I am probably the definition of your "skinny fat". However my body is physically fit, my blood work is perfect and I eat clean probably 90% of the time, but I don't look great in a bikini by anyone's standards, but mine. Who cares??? I'm physically healthy and seriously folks that is what really matters here.

A lot of people misuse the term skinny fat, to mean someone who is at a healthy weight but does not have muscle definition. This is not the correct definition.

There is such a thing as skinny-fat though, and medically speaking it's not a healthy way to be, as the person is likely to have problems due to being underweight according to their lean body mass, combined with problems due to carrying too much fat. The post I just replied to in this thread has the medical definition of this, i.e. normal weight obesity. "skinny-fat" is a colloquial term for this.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Your last bit is right - health is important and it sounds like you are healthy and eat well but as for age, there are plenty of examples on this site and others. Here's one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/californiagirl2012 (Yeah, I know, she's 52 so in 2 years' time it may all go to pot.)
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    A lot of people misuse the term skinny fat, to mean someone who is at a healthy weight but does not have muscle definition. This is not the correct definition.

There is such a thing as skinny-fat though, and medically speaking it's not a healthy way to be, as the person is likely to have problems due to being underweight according to their lean body mass, combined with problems due to carrying too much fat. The post I just replied to in this thread has the medical definition of this, i.e. normal weight obesity. "skinny-fat" is a colloquial term for this.

As I mentioned earlier (I think), skinny fat refers to the type of person who looks skinny (male and female) but stores a lot of fat round their mid-section, and particularly worryingly around the organs (which is known to result in various diseases including cancer). Am I right?
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

the same as the obese range (as defined by body fat percentage) as for anyone else

skinny fat = normal weight obesity = normal range BMI, obese levels of body fat

Obesity is usually defined as more than 35% in women, and 30% in men. However some define it as more than 30% in women and 25% in men. (I'm not going to argue the difference between these) There's an "overfat" range that is between the healthy range and the obese range (just as there is for BMI)

anyone who's in the normal BMI range with the above amounts of body fat, would be "skinny-fat"

ah thanks for clearing that up :smile: thought i was skinny fat and i was below 18% BF lol
  • neandermagnon
    Options

As I mentioned earlier (I think), skinny fat refers to the type of person who looks skinny (male and female) but stores a lot of fat round their mid-section, and particularly worryingly around the organs (which is known to result in various diseases including cancer). Am I right?

well "skinny-fat" is a colloquial term.... normal weight obesity is a medical term. If they look skinny, they can't really be storing that much fat around their midsection.

The problem with colloquial terms is they can mean different things to different people so I'm not really going to argue about the precise definition of a colloquial term. If the term's changed its meaning from "normal weight obesity" to "someone who's thin but not ripped" then I think that's a real shame because a) there's no health risk from being thin but not ripped, in fact it's very healthy, and b) it's become yet another term for body shaming.

what you describe is not "normal weight obesity" as for that someone needs to be underweight according to their lean body mass, but be carrying an obese amount of fat, so the two cancel out and result in a normal BMI.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

well "skinny-fat" is a colloquial term.... normal weight obesity is a medical term. If they look skinny, they can't really be storing that much fat around their midsection.

The problem with colloquial terms is they can mean different things to different people so I'm not really going to argue about the precise definition of a colloquial term. If the term's changed its meaning from "normal weight obesity" to "someone who's thin but not ripped" then I think that's a real shame because a) there's no health risk from being thin but not ripped, in fact it's very healthy, and b) it's become yet another term for body shaming.

what you describe is not "normal weight obesity" as for that someone needs to be underweight according to their lean body mass, but be carrying an obese amount of fat, so the two cancel out and result in a normal BMI.

By skinny fat, I understood it to mean their limbs (and chest, shoulders) are skinny but they have a fat mid-section, not being skinny all over... as that would just mean they are skinny!

In any case, I think I'll avoid using the term as it does seem a bit like "ricer" these days (which used to mean underpowered Japanese cars made to look better than they are but now apparently means any modified Japanese car).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

:drinker: A round of applause! :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    Options

:drinker: A round of applause! :drinker:

:blushing:
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Here some tips to become skinny-fat:

2. Do lots of cardio – Training your body to be catabolic, breaking down muscle and to store fat is great if you want that “I used to be 300 lbs until I got sick” look.

6. Take a spin class – Did you know spinning classes actually increase lower body fat. Do enough of them and you might slim your waist after you have completely fried your adrenals, but by then you will be sports some major cottage cheese thighs.

I think these points were a bit much.

Agreed... I do a lot of cardio, including spinning, and I'm hardly "skinny fat".

(BTW, that first photo is of Karolina Kurkova, one of THE most famous Victorias Secret models. That photo was actually photoshopped to give her a bit of extra fat... she doesn't look like that at all. It's a fake photo. I understand it is for example purposes but it's not real.)

Regardless, "skinny fat" is a relative term. What one person considers SF another may not. Its like asking, "what does a fat person look like? What does a skinny person look like?" It is going to depend on the person answering the question.

Medical terms of "Obese" and "Normal weight obesity" are much less subjective however. They are based on body fat percentages and are actual medical diagnosis, not just someone's personal opinion. I think that more people should be aware of Normal Weight Obesity, as it is an actual medical condition and carries risks of heart disease and diabetes just like Obesity does (as well as other ailments) but does not garner the same attention. If the term "skinny fat", disgusting as it is, helps to get that information out there and draw attention to NWO perhaps its a good thing.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    To me it would be someone who looks good fully clothed, or is in their perfect 'weight range', but is very flabby with no muscle definition when naked. Yuck!
    yeah lets make people feel even worse about themselves by making up more demeaning words....

one question:

can men be 'skinny fat' too? cos ive only heard it in relation to women...and i am not here for that.

YES, definitely! My husband is skinny fat, but it seems he likes that look, as he can't be persuaded to exercise or anything. He lacks muscle, period. His body fat % isn't exactly high for his age/height/weight, but he seriously lacks any sort of muscle, which I don't think is healthy, especially not as one is heading into their 50s.
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

:noway: There is nothing wrong with your body, only your perception of your body. We are our own worst critics. If you want to see more definition or shape there is quite a following on here for heavy lifting (I think that is what it's called) or new rules of lifting for women. Good Luck! Bellissima!