what does skinny fat look like?

Options

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

can men be 'skinny fat' too? cos ive only heard it in relation to women...and i am not here for that.

Yes. It's the reason I train now. Why can't men be skinny fat? It's just when a person has skinny limbs and a flabby central area so, as above, they look fine clothed, but look a bit rubbish naked.
    rubbish naked in whose eyes? if you think you look rubbish naked, that's your prerogative...
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My hubby is skinny for his height (6'6") but has a paunchy belly. He has a BMI of 24. Id say that qualified him for "skinny fat" since he sure could stand to lose that belly, but until my belly is flatter than his I don't feel I have any right to calling anyone else "fat"

Not that having a seksier belly will make it ok, it'll just distract me enough to forget about his :laugh:
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

can men be 'skinny fat' too? cos ive only heard it in relation to women...and i am not here for that.

Yes. It's the reason I train now. Why can't men be skinny fat? It's just when a person has skinny limbs and a flabby central area so, as above, they look fine clothed, but look a bit rubbish naked.
    rubbish naked in whose eyes? if you think you look rubbish naked, that's your prerogative...

I second the last comment.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Yes, I see your point but it's relative if you see what I mean.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    To me it would be someone who looks good fully clothed, or is in their perfect 'weight range', but is very flabby with no muscle definition when naked. Yuck!
    yeah lets make people feel even worse about themselves by making up more demeaning words....

one question:

I agree. Who ever made up this offensive term should be shot. So now, not only do we have to worry about obesity and health related diseases, but now we have to fear the criticism of all the 'fit' people telling us that even after we get to a healthy weight, we still aren't good enough to meet their standards.

I find it more and more offensive every time I see it used on here, and really wish it would just go away. But I doubt that will ever happen, because it makes those who look good on the outside, but still feel insecure on the inside, feel better about themselves by putting others down.

Now if you want to point out that just because someone is at a healthy weight, doesn't make them healthy due to their diet and fitness level, then that is fine, and that is medically validated. But to call someone skinny-fat because of the way that look naked is just wrong and so demeaning to others who don't have the beach-perfect body.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I live in Taiwan, the majority of native women here are skinny but have no visible muscle definition. They seem to have wobbly calfs etc.

I like this pic.

7438441462_69b06d205b_z.jpg
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    To me it would be someone who looks good fully clothed, or is in their perfect 'weight range', but is very flabby with no muscle definition when naked. Yuck!
    yeah lets make people feel even worse about themselves by making up more demeaning words....

one question:

Anyone 'can' be skinny fat. The definition of skinny fat is being at a "normal" weight BMI, but having a higher than normal percentage of body fat.

Someone with a BMI of 22, but 35% body fat, would be skinny fat.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I think that "skinny fat" model is just a case of what happens to a normal body in motion, when the photos aren't digitally edited beyond reality. In other words, unflattering shots. Most of what people call skinny fat on here are unflattering photos or normal body fat vs ultra lean. Posture and lighting can make a HUGE difference, as can flexing vs not flexing.

This was on Facebook a couple of weeks ago from "Fitness Model Amanda Adams."
    528991_486420038059855_266959247_n_zps7052b804.jpg
    Ladies..Ladies...Ladies... lol Don't be discouraged by what I call "Professional Mirror Self Pic Takers" haha that's what I like to call myself sometimes and there are tons of us out there ;) Now these two pics were literally taken within 2 seconds of each other, just different facial expression, posing, lighting, wardrobe adjustments etc etc. It's always good to follow girls to give you motivation, BUT most girls that have done photo shoots know how to pose best to take a good pic haha (did I just embarrass myself? Yeah....lol)
    -Lighting? Instagram filters are awesome to make your muscles pop and add shadows in all the right places
    -Heels? That will make your leg muscles pop...duh (but shhh you don't have to actually SHOW the heels in the pic lol)
    -Sexy face or Happy face? Well that shows you have confidence lol which suddenly makes you look 100% better than a "I hate life facial expression"
    -Lotion? Well obviously your muscles will pop out more...
    -Loose pants/bottoms on? If they are tight...well hello skin roll
    -Chest out? Boobs Out? Arms Back, Hips twisted Made my sports bra "tighter" to make my boobs "perkier" haha... etc etc etc etc...
    -Pants - Pants in first pic cut off at the middle of my stomach and are super tight...which is well easier to have "skin rolls" and just yeah... roll em down which then makes you torso look LONGER. lol

It's so sad but also really funny and true...Now I'm not saying this to make fun of people (hello...I do it weekly) But it's to show you all that you really can't compare your progress to other people's pictures!!! Look at them for motivation and that's it! ;) LOVE YOU ALL!

Love it.
  • babydiego87
    Options

one question:

I agree. Who ever made up this offensive term should be shot. So now, not only do we have to worry about obesity and health related diseases, but now we have to fear the criticism of all the 'fit' people telling us that even after we get to a healthy weight, we still aren't good enough to meet their standards.

I find it more and more offensive every time I see it used on here, and really wish it would just go away. But I doubt that will ever happen, because it makes those who look good on the outside, but still feel insecure on the inside, feel better about themselves by putting others down.

Now if you want to point out that just because someone is at a healthy weight, doesn't make them healthy due to their diet and fitness level, then that is fine, and that is medically validated. But to call someone skinny-fat because of the way that look naked is just wrong and so demeaning to others who don't have the beach-perfect body.
    perfect a++++ response.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

one question:

Do you prefer the term "normal weight obesity?" That's all "skinny fat" means, being at a normal weight according to BMI, but having an obese level of body fat. A skinny fat person still has all the health risks of any other obese person.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Personally I believe it's just a marketing gimmick. You sell someone the idea that being light will make them happy, they get light, but because you want to go on milking them, you sell the idea that they're skinny fat. Yes, you can be skinny and unhealthy, but that is not necessarily connected to fat. It makes me really sad that anyone can look at that first link and call the model fat because she has some body fat. Fat is normal! It is what keeps you alive if you fall ill and can't eat. Your body is right to want to preserve some.

For me it ranks with 'cellulite' as a term just invented to screw with women's minds and part them from their cash.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My husband Is 5' 7.5" (he was 5'9" when I married him, he's 48 now)
    He weighs about 135-140. Has very skinny arms, legs,,shoulders, nice tight bum.... But has bulge of a tummy. Like a miniature beer belly, and back fat.
    I had never heard of skinny-fat till last year. A friend used it to describe my husband.
  • babydiego87
    Options
    BMI is bull.

and according to this thread, i am skinny fat and i am perfectly healthy and in no way at risk of the same medical condition obese people do such as diabetes etc
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

one question:

An interesting post.

When I was told I was "skinny fat", I didn't find it offensive - I found it thought-provoking.

One trait of skinny fat people is that they will have a lot of fat around their organs (visceral fat) so whilst they look healthy, it's the worst kind of fat to have as it can result in health problems. This is why I decided to start looking at my diet and training.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Who ever made up this offensive term should be shot.

That would be the medical community.

I've been hearing the phrase for at least 15 years, sometimes referred to as normal weight obesity. It's often used wrongly on this site, but it's a real medical problem.

The first time I encountered it was a guy I briefly dated who was rather thin - stringy arms and legs, bony chest - but with a mushy pot belly. I didn't care... it had no bearing on whether or not I liked him, it was just alarming that someone who looked average clothed could look so differently nekkid. But he was a geek (as I was/am I, so that's not an insult) who was proud of his inactivity and bad eating habits. Not that mine were any better, I was just lucky to not be affected the same way.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Not sure if this will work...if not copy & paste :)

screenshot20130217at131.png

but yes, here's my "yuck" body that looks "good in clothes but rubbish naked" :laugh:
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

but yes, here's my "yuck" body that looks "good in clothes but rubbish naked" :laugh:

Definitely not yuck! gorgeous!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

There is absolutely nothing "yuck" about that at all.
  • peachfigs
    Options

There is absolutely nothing "yuck" about that at all.

Thank you... :) Of course, the low quality photo taken on my phone hides the cellulite and lumpy bumpy bits.
  • HKSJS
    HKSJS Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Can I have your body please? :laugh: You look fantastic!