what does skinny fat look like?

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Here some tips to become skinny-fat:

2. Do lots of cardio – Training your body to be catabolic, breaking down muscle and to store fat is great if you want that “I used to be 300 lbs until I got sick” look.

6. Take a spin class – Did you know spinning classes actually increase lower body fat. Do enough of them and you might slim your waist after you have completely fried your adrenals, but by then you will be sports some major cottage cheese thighs.

I think these points were a bit much.

Agreed... I do a lot of cardio, including spinning, and I'm hardly "skinny fat".

(BTW, that first photo is of Karolina Kurkova, one of THE most famous Victorias Secret models. That photo was actually photoshopped to give her a bit of extra fat... she doesn't look like that at all. It's a fake photo. I understand it is for example purposes but it's not real.)

Regardless, "skinny fat" is a relative term. What one person considers SF another may not. Its like asking, "what does a fat person look like? What does a skinny person look like?" It is going to depend on the person answering the question.

Medical terms of "Obese" and "Normal weight obesity" are much less subjective however. They are based on body fat percentages and are actual medical diagnosis, not just someone's personal opinion. I think that more people should be aware of Normal Weight Obesity, as it is an actual medical condition and carries risks of heart disease and diabetes just like Obesity does (as well as other ailments) but does not garner the same attention. If the term "skinny fat", disgusting as it is, helps to get that information out there and draw attention to NWO perhaps its a good thing.

Like others have said, normal weight obesity is a medical term, a diagnosis that would be made by a professional after blood tests and medical examination. 'Skinny- fat' is a colloquial term that perhaps originally derived from the medical term of Normal Weight Obesity, but is now being used for body-shaming, and is directed at anyone, mostly women, who do not lift heavy, or those who eat at a lower calorie amount, and like to do cardio for exercise.
    No one on this site has the credentials or ability to diagnose anyone else on here as being 'skinny-fat' based solely upon the way they look, or their choice of exercise method.

Mental retardation is a medical term used by professionals, however, the term 'retarded' has become a very offensive term that is no longer acceptable, as it is used as an insult and is very offensive to those with disabilities.
    I would hope that the un-official term of 'skinny-fat', would become no longer acceptable for use on this site as well. But as long as body-shaming still exists, I imagine this term will continue to be used. And young women will continue to feel shame every time they see it described on here and they look in the mirror to see they are less than perfect.

Yes, it is grossly misused on this site every day, and is used as an insult.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Where? I've never seen it used on this site as an insult. It's only your first post in this thread that brought it to my attention that it was offensive. We even have a skinny fat group - not to mock skinny fat people but for skinny fat people to join for motivational purposes. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/2761-skinny-fat-to-fit
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

2. Do lots of cardio – Training your body to be catabolic, breaking down muscle and to store fat is great if you want that “I used to be 300 lbs until I got sick” look.

6. Take a spin class – Did you know spinning classes actually increase lower body fat. Do enough of them and you might slim your waist after you have completely fried your adrenals, but by then you will be sports some major cottage cheese thighs.

Agreed... I do a lot of cardio, including spinning, and I'm hardly "skinny fat".

(BTW, that first photo is of Karolina Kurkova, one of THE most famous Victorias Secret models. That photo was actually photoshopped to give her a bit of extra fat... she doesn't look like that at all. It's a fake photo. I understand it is for example purposes but it's not real.)

Regardless, "skinny fat" is a relative term. What one person considers SF another may not. Its like asking, "what does a fat person look like? What does a skinny person look like?" It is going to depend on the person answering the question.

Medical terms of "Obese" and "Normal weight obesity" are much less subjective however. They are based on body fat percentages and are actual medical diagnosis, not just someone's personal opinion. I think that more people should be aware of Normal Weight Obesity, as it is an actual medical condition and carries risks of heart disease and diabetes just like Obesity does (as well as other ailments) but does not garner the same attention. If the term "skinny fat", disgusting as it is, helps to get that information out there and draw attention to NWO perhaps its a good thing.

Like others have said, normal weight obesity is a medical term, a diagnosis that would be made by a professional after blood tests and medical examination. 'Skinny- fat' is a colloquial term that perhaps originally derived from the medical term of Normal Weight Obesity, but is now being used for body-shaming, and is directed at anyone, mostly women, who do not lift heavy, or those who eat at a lower calorie amount, and like to do cardio for exercise.
    No one on this site has the credentials or ability to diagnose anyone else on here as being 'skinny-fat' based solely upon the way they look, or their choice of exercise method.

Mental retardation is a medical term used by professionals, however, the term 'retarded' has become a very offensive term that is no longer acceptable, as it is used as an insult and is very offensive to those with disabilities.
    I would hope that the un-official term of 'skinny-fat', would become no longer acceptable for use on this site as well. But as long as body-shaming still exists, I imagine this term will continue to be used. And young women will continue to feel shame every time they see it described on here and they look in the mirror to see they are less than perfect.

I actually haven't seen that either. I don't think the term skinny-fat is offensive. If someone appears thin but their body fat % is in the overweight to obese range, they are fat. Body fat percentage is a much better indicator than BMI and no one is shaming anyone. You are entirely too sensitive.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I actually haven't seen that either. I don't think the term skinny-fat is offensive. If someone appears thin but their body fat % is in the overweight to obese range, they are fat. Body fat percentage is a much better indicator than BMI and no one is shaming anyone. You are entirely too sensitive.

I've seen the term being used for body shaming on this very thread and a lot of other places. I don't have a problem with the use of the term "skinny-fat" as a synonym for "normal weight obesity" and agree with what you said above, if their body fat percentage is in the obese range they are not healthy, no matter what BMI says.

However I have frequently come across people using "skinny-fat" to describe perfectly healthy women who don't have muscle definition, generally those in the 20-25% body fat range, because they have a little muffin top or fat on their thighs or stomach. I've seen images of such women being used to illustrate the concept of "skinny-fat", including in this thread. What message is that giving to women? There's enough pressure on women to look a certain way without blatant shaming of totally healthy women. (not that I approve of body shaming of people who don't have healthy body composition, but there is a necessity to educate people about the health consequences of it).

Just because you haven't seen something, doesn't mean it's not happening. I'm sure you agree with me that it's not right to use this term for women with healthy body fat percentages.......... but it is all to frequently being used that way, and that's what people are objecting to.
  • hsnider29
    Options

I've seen the term being used for body shaming on this very thread and a lot of other places. I don't have a problem with the use of the term "skinny-fat" as a synonym for "normal weight obesity" and agree with what you said above, if their body fat percentage is in the obese range they are not healthy, no matter what BMI says.

However I have frequently come across people using "skinny-fat" to describe perfectly healthy women who don't have muscle definition, generally those in the 20-25% body fat range, because they have a little muffin top or fat on their thighs or stomach. I've seen images of such women being used to illustrate the concept of "skinny-fat", including in this thread. What message is that giving to women? There's enough pressure on women to look a certain way without blatant shaming of totally healthy women. (not that I approve of body shaming of people who don't have healthy body composition, but there is a necessity to educate people about the health consequences of it).

Just because you haven't seen something, doesn't mean it's not happening. I'm sure you agree with me that it's not right to use this term for women with healthy body fat percentages.......... but it is all to frequently being used that way, and that's what people are objecting to.

I haven't seen it being used to shame anyone on this thread. I have seen women in this community refer to themselves as skinny fat when clearly they are not.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I've seen it as self-shaming, and as a warning to others. "Eat this and do that, or you'll end up skinny fat." Sometimes it's a valid warning, sometimes it's an exaggeration. I've also seen people say that skinny fat is their goal because they want to be softer and not ripped. Those people have no clue what skinny fat actually is.

I like my body better now that I eat more protein and lift heavy, but I wasn't skinny fat before. I was normal weight, normal body fat. Becoming skinny fat is a pretty extreme situation caused by extreme dieting and lack of exercise.

I'm sure there's some people on this site who are, but most who call themselves skinny fat aren't that at all. They're just not happy with their finished product yet.
  • hsnider29
    Options
    I've seen it as self-shaming, and as a warning to others. "Eat this and do that, or you'll end up skinny fat." Sometimes it's a valid warning, sometimes it's an exaggeration. I've also seen people say that skinny fat is their goal because they want to be softer and not ripped. Those people have no clue what skinny fat actually is.

I like my body better now that I eat more protein and lift heavy, but I wasn't skinny fat before. I was normal weight, normal body fat. Becoming skinny fat is a pretty extreme situation caused by extreme dieting and lack of exercise.

I'm sure there's some people on this site who are, but most who call themselves skinny fat aren't that at all. They're just not happy with their finished product yet.

Yes! You worded it much better than I did.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

I have never been accused of being too sensitive by anyone, other than my older sister who is a blatant 'witch' who covers up her low self-esteem by insulting everyone in her path, then if they call her out on it, she says they are 'too sensitive'. But that is just my issue with her.

I am secure enough at 49, that I am not going to have my self-worth affected by anything a stranger on an internet forum throws at me. However, there are many young girls on here that are still struggling with body image and self-worth, and when they see pics posted on here and people responding how horrible the girl's body looks, and they look in the mirror and see the same thing, it can be quite damaging.

If you honestly have not seen anyone on here use skinny fat as an insult, go read some of the 1200 calorie threads. That term gets thrown around a lot in those.

Some people may not have a problem with it, and may even use it to describe themselves, but that doesn't take away the fact that it is often misused, and is used as an insult towards certain body types.

One poster above described it as someone who has skinny arms and legs and a lot of fat in the midsection. Are you not aware that this is a genetic body shape? It is called an apple shape. Apples carry their extra fat in their midsection, whereas Pears carry their extra fat in their hips and thighs.
    They both can lose body fat all over, but the last place it will leave is where they predominately carry that BF. That is the hardest fat to lose. You cannot spot reduce fat, so it doesn't matter what type of exercise you do, only an overall calorie deficit will get rid of that fat.
    Yes, building muscle will help raise your BMR so that you burn more fat, but you can't determine where they fat will come from.

I am an apple shape. Even at my thinnest, I have always had extra fat around my waist. Even 20 yrs ago, when I was training with pro body builders and had some amazingly strong, well-defined muscles, and not an ounce of fat anywhere else, I still had fat in my midsection. There is only one inch between the bottom rib and my hip bone. Doesn't leave much room for the 'hourglass' shape. lol.

I was not 'skinny-fat' then, and now, 40 pounds heavier, I am not 'skinny-fat' either. Now I am just fat, but getting leaner.

I just wish we could get away from the skinny and fat labels and concentrate more on Healthy or Unhealthy.

ETA, and yes, I do see the irony in my last 2 statements :bigsmile:
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
  • keem88
    Options
    it looks like 5'4" which a bmi of 17.3 but jiggly butt and thighs.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    skinny fat looks like me

This is exactly what I am talking about.

Dear, you are a beautiful person who is worth so much more than the number on the scale or the label on your jeans. Or how you look in a bikini.
  • DinoSaurous
    DinoSaurous Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am skinny fat. Not so much skinny. More fat. Okay, I am just fat.
  • keem88
    Options
    skinny fat looks like me

This is exactly what I am talking about.

Dear, you are a beautiful person who is worth so much more than the number on the scale or the label on your jeans. Or how you look in a bikini.

<
    i look great in a bikini. skinny fat, but still great
  • keem88
    Options
    I am skinny fat. Not so much skinny. More fat. Okay, I am just fat.

lol this made me laugh. but all seriousness, you're beautiful
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options

1. Eat a Vegan Diet – If you don’t want to eat any meat, your body will just eat you instead. Unfortunately it’s on a low fat diet in this case.

3. Take lots of thermogenic fat burners – Nothing like turning up the furnace while the windows are open. The room might get warmer, but the bill in the end is never pleasant. Thermogenic maybe be short term fat burners, but in the long run they are more muscle burners and long term fat storers.

4. Go on a low calorie starvation diet – The HCG diet is a great examples. It’s like paying for the experience of a prison camp without making any new undesirable friends.

5. Join weight watchers – Obviously the only point these people haven’t gotten is that if you want to be healthy you should eat a healthy diet and exercise. Is there an app for that?

7. Never pick up a weight ever – I’m serious, it will make you so huge you will have to walk sideways down the hall to your office. Ok not really, but you know that age old testament, if you don’t use it you lose it. Well it’s pretty accurate when it comes to muscle tissue. If you don’t want to be Skeletor for next Halloween, then you might start moving some iron.

8. Skip meals – Skipping meals is like training for fat storage. The more you go without proper nutrition the more you tell you body to store fat for these long breaks.

9. Eat lots of Gluten – Nothing says lose muscle and store fat like a highly inflammatory food that depletes your body of vital nutrients and damages your digestive tract making it harder for you to get nutrients from the rest of your diet.

bwahahahaha, loved this!!!
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    The term makes me feel ill. Can't we just say thin people who have not toned up? Thin, but jiggly? Untoned body? Which are all perfectly OKAY.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    11f58dbafd46437affc9d2677787f428_0_500_0_zps1507d3b3.jpg

I think the image on the left is a better example. Normal BMI and body weight, but clearly lacking lean body mass...i.e. large body fat percentage.
  • XJgirl66
    Options

1. Eat a Vegan Diet – If you don’t want to eat any meat, your body will just eat you instead. Unfortunately it’s on a low fat diet in this case.

3. Take lots of thermogenic fat burners – Nothing like turning up the furnace while the windows are open. The room might get warmer, but the bill in the end is never pleasant. Thermogenic maybe be short term fat burners, but in the long run they are more muscle burners and long term fat storers.

4. Go on a low calorie starvation diet – The HCG diet is a great examples. It’s like paying for the experience of a prison camp without making any new undesirable friends.

5. Join weight watchers – Obviously the only point these people haven’t gotten is that if you want to be healthy you should eat a healthy diet and exercise. Is there an app for that?

7. Never pick up a weight ever – I’m serious, it will make you so huge you will have to walk sideways down the hall to your office. Ok not really, but you know that age old testament, if you don’t use it you lose it. Well it’s pretty accurate when it comes to muscle tissue. If you don’t want to be Skeletor for next Halloween, then you might start moving some iron.

8. Skip meals – Skipping meals is like training for fat storage. The more you go without proper nutrition the more you tell you body to store fat for these long breaks.

9. Eat lots of Gluten – Nothing says lose muscle and store fat like a highly inflammatory food that depletes your body of vital nutrients and damages your digestive tract making it harder for you to get nutrients from the rest of your diet.
  • XJgirl66
    Options
    All of these points are absolutely true. If you do research you will find that high cardio, less food (especially protein), no weights causes the term "skinny fat" to happen. It really doesn't have anything to do with cellulite but it does have to do with no muscle tone so the skin just hangs over the very small amount of muscle that is there. :)

Have a good day all!!! :)