what does skinny fat look like?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thank you... :) Of course, the low quality photo taken on my phone hides the cellulite and lumpy bumpy bits.

Oh, you mean those things that EVERYONE has? :happy:

Jamie Eason has cellulite. She's talked about it on her FB page. I haven't SEEN it on her, but I know I see it plenty on myself in the bathroom mirror and especially in the Kohl's dressing room (if anyone's shooting anybody, make it whoever designed their dressing rooms!) but it doesn't show in better lit photos.

No matter who we are or what we look like, we zero in on our flaws. That's one thing that taking progress photos has really helped me with. I can be more objective if I'm looking at a picture of me than if I'm looking in the mirror. And I think, "Hey, if those *kitten* dimples don't show in photos, maybe they really don't show as much as I think they do!"
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Who ever made up this offensive term should be shot.

That would be the medical community.

I've been hearing the phrase for at least 15 years, sometimes referred to as normal weight obesity. It's often used wrongly on this site, but it's a real medical problem.

The first time I encountered it was a guy I briefly dated who was rather thin - stringy arms and legs, bony chest - but with a mushy pot belly. I didn't care... it had no bearing on whether or not I liked him, it was just alarming that someone who looked average clothed could look so differently nekkid. But he was a geek (as I was/am I, so that's not an insult) who was proud of his inactivity and bad eating habits. Not that mine were any better, I was just lucky to not be affected the same way.

I am over-fat at a weight which is considered a healthy BMI. My mum has high blood pressure etc at that BMI too. Therefore, I know my healthy weight is towards the bottom end of the BMI scale's normal, although it could be higher, perhaps, if I built some muscle. That doesn't mean that 'skinny-fat' is a reasonable term. I wasn't skinny, I was fat, so normal weight obesity would be a far better term.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will work...if not copy & paste :)

screenshot20130217at131.png

but yes, here's my "yuck" body that looks "good in clothes but rubbish naked" :laugh:
    Hmmm.
    Call me. Let's do lunch...
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    To me it would be someone who looks good fully clothed, or is in their perfect 'weight range', but is very flabby with no muscle definition when naked. Yuck!
    yeah lets make people feel even worse about themselves by making up more demeaning words....

one question:

can men be 'skinny fat' too? cos ive only heard it in relation to women...and i am not here for that.

I agree. Who ever made up this offensive term should be shot. So now, not only do we have to worry about obesity and health related diseases, but now we have to fear the criticism of all the 'fit' people telling us that even after we get to a healthy weight, we still aren't good enough to meet their standards.

I find it more and more offensive every time I see it used on here, and really wish it would just go away. But I doubt that will ever happen, because it makes those who look good on the outside, but still feel insecure on the inside, feel better about themselves by putting others down.

Now if you want to point out that just because someone is at a healthy weight, doesn't make them healthy due to their diet and fitness level, then that is fine, and that is medically validated. But to call someone skinny-fat because of the way that look naked is just wrong and so demeaning to others who don't have the beach-perfect body.
    Do you prefer the term "normal weight obesity?" That's all "skinny fat" means, being at a normal weight according to BMI, but having an obese level of body fat. A skinny fat person still has all the health risks of any other obese person.

YES! That term would be much more appropriate and less offensive, as it is a medical term, and doesn't refer to how someone looks. It also doesn't use the two terms- skinny and fat- both of which can be hurtful when describing someone's body.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

I've been hearing the phrase for at least 15 years, sometimes referred to as normal weight obesity. It's often used wrongly on this site, but it's a real medical problem.

The first time I encountered it was a guy I briefly dated who was rather thin - stringy arms and legs, bony chest - but with a mushy pot belly. I didn't care... it had no bearing on whether or not I liked him, it was just alarming that someone who looked average clothed could look so differently nekkid. But he was a geek (as I was/am I, so that's not an insult) who was proud of his inactivity and bad eating habits. Not that mine were any better, I was just lucky to not be affected the same way.

I am over-fat at a weight which is considered a healthy BMI. My mum has high blood pressure etc at that BMI too. Therefore, I know my healthy weight is towards the bottom end of the BMI scale's normal, although it could be higher, perhaps, if I built some muscle. That doesn't mean that 'skinny-fat' is a reasonable term. I wasn't skinny, I was fat, so normal weight obesity would be a far better term.

I don't mind the term so much, as I feel it describes my body quite accurately... but I feel a lot of shame for being skinny fat, especially when people are not so nice about it. :blushing: A lot of people also don't take me seriously with my weight struggles because I look alright in clothes, and they think I'm just attention seeking or fishing for compliments.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

but yes, here's my "yuck" body that looks "good in clothes but rubbish naked" :laugh:
    :love: :blushing:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

I don't mind the term so much, as I feel it describes my body quite accurately... but I feel a lot of shame for being skinny fat, especially when people are not so nice about it. :blushing: A lot of people also don't take me seriously with my weight struggles because I look alright in clothes, and they think I'm just attention seeking or fishing for compliments.

I get that when people see me counting calories and talking about burning fat... the joy of the skinny fat brigade.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat would be me because my husband specifically asked me to leave a handful of squishy a** for him to grab. :drinker:
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I don't care what I look like naked...I look damn hot dressed in office attire ..that's what matters to me. I can wear quarter length sleeves like a boss. Nobody who is giving me a whistle or a flirt is gonna see me naked ..so it's all good! Label me!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

Having seen your photo, I think you more likely have self-esteem issues. Your body looks amazing, and I'm sad you can't see it. I can tell you, categorically, that you do not have an unhealthy BF%.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

You feel shame for being 'skinny-fat' because someone told you that you were that, and that it was not good enough. And herein lies the problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your body. You are at a healthy weight, and you have a normal amount of body fat for a girl your age. Some people when using the term skinny fat, are talking about your body type, but then when an actual person posts a pic of themselves, then they all say you look great.
    Bodies come in all sizes and shapes. Some are naturally lean, some are naturally muscular, and many fall somewhere in the middle.
    When can eat right and workout out to improve our shape the best we can, but some things are just genetic and we must learn to love and accept them. And also know that it isn't wrong just because it doesn't look like the 'perfect' female body.

If you are eating healthy, and getting a moderate amount of exercise, and have no medical issues, then you are just perfect the way you are. You are beautiful. And don't let anyone ever tell you that you aren't. Even yourself.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

But... you're NOT skinny fat and you have nothing to feel shame about. So you're not at your goal yet. Big deal. You're working on getting the body you want, so that's something to feel proud about, not shame.

And even if you were, you'd still be working towards becoming healthier. Again... source of pride, not shame.

This sort of thing takes time. Lots of it. Don't save feeling good about yourself for when you reach some far off goal, because by the time you reach it, you'll have set another goal. Feel good about yourself now. No matter where you are or how you look.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have tears in my throat right now after reading a lot of the above posts... thanks to everyone who has been so encouraging and lovely :smile:
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That model is not skinny fat, IMO. Mind you I haven't seen her blood work results. ;)

If you're eating at a calorie deficit, it's a good idea to lift heavy every other day so that your body doesn't shed muscle as much. The heavy lift tells your body that you need this muscle so don't get rid of it.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

For goodness sake, I WISH I looked this good naked.
  • SpiceKween
    Options
    Wow, I don't even know what to say about "skinny fat"...
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Im definitely skinny fat hence working on getting muscle! I'm not so bothered by a number on a scale
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I was what a doctor would call skinny-fat after I finished chemo.

I weighted right around 132 pounds with a 34% body fat. It took a year and a half to get sub-20 %.

Most people who call themselves skinny-fat, or who others call skinny-fat really aren't.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    http://fivehourfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/skinny-fat-female-model.jpg

look at her butt and rolls
    she is very skinny, yet she has quite a lot of fat

(this is very "mild" case of skinny fat)

also this
    http://www.herdaily.com/health/11082/when-is-skinny-unhealthy.html

the first one... is she really skinny fat?

skinny fat = normal weight obesity (medical term) = normal BMI while having an obese body fat %age

she'd have to have over 30% body fat to be skinny fat - IMO she does not look like she has 30% body fat, more like 25% tops. She also has muscle definition in her legs. She's certainly not ripped, but she does not look like she's carrying that much fat and she also looks like she has some muscles under the fat, i.e. enough to give her legs shape, but not definition. She has shapely calves and quadriceps. She has fat on her stomach, back and hips, but that's not obesity levels of body fat.

Sorry I couldn't look at the second picture, because it's censored by the Bahraini government

IMO it's important to make the distinction between someone who's carrying a healthy amount of body fat but has no muscle definition (muscle definition in women doesn't usually show even at 20% body fat which is far from unhealthy), and someone who's actually skinny-fat. You have to get to the very low end of the healthy range to have significant definition, there's a whole range of body fat percentages where you have no definition but are still healthy.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    http://fivehourfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/skinny-fat-female-model.jpg

look at her butt and rolls
    she is very skinny, yet she has quite a lot of fat

(this is very "mild" case of skinny fat)

also this
    http://www.herdaily.com/health/11082/when-is-skinny-unhealthy.html

That does look gross...