AM I CRAZY?!? Starting "Total Cleanse" Today! (CDN)

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Wow. So, stay fat to protect your organs from toxins.
    Got it.

You totally missed what I was trying to day, but you keep on truckin' pal.

He's not the only one that missed it. I'm dumbfounded.

So, are you saying that a "cleanse" eliminates these toxins from our bodies?

what toxins?

Not that they will listen to me, either.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Wow. So, stay fat to protect your organs from toxins.
    Got it.

You totally missed what I was trying to day, but you keep on truckin' pal.

He's not the only one that missed it. I'm dumbfounded.

So, are you saying that a "cleanse" eliminates these toxins from our bodies?

ETA: These toxins that are apparently building up in my liver because you're saying that it works like some kind of toxin sponge/filter?

Well obviously - the juice contains magical elements that go to your liver and kidneys (and anywhere else toxic) binds with the toxins and excretes them for you.

Of course the liver is a sponge soaking up chemicals.

Why did you not know this? :flowerforyou:
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The liver doesn't store toxins, it turns them into things that aren't toxic and they're excreted by the kidneys. It does this whether you drink nothing but juice for a week or not The dose makes the poison. Do we ingest bad things? All the time. No matter how organic, free-range, home-cooked your food is, there's stuff in it that in the right doses could potentially kill you. But if it's small doses, the liver gets rid of it (toxicity can come with too large quantities of everything, including water, remember). It doesn't store those things. It does store somethings, like vitamins, minerals, glycogen so the body has a fail safe in hard times, but it'd be an evolutionary idiocy to store things that are going to build up and kill you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    People often think that with with diet and exercise you can get rid of toxins which is true, but keep in mind that its better to excrete these toxins than sweat them out. Because the less fat your have, the more chance there is for these chemicals to attack your organs. The fat actually protects your organs from getting attacked by these chemicals.

There are so many things wrong with this statement.

1. Sweat is a form of excretion. Research the endocrine system.

2. Fat does capture toxins, but it doesn't do anything with it, and it doesn't prevent exposure to your organs. Fat is an inert element of the body. It's presence shields the organs from impact, but it does not 'filter' toxins because fat does nothing.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    People often think that with with diet and exercise you can get rid of toxins which is true, but keep in mind that its better to excrete these toxins than sweat them out. Because the less fat your have, the more chance there is for these chemicals to attack your organs. The fat actually protects your organs from getting attacked by these chemicals.

2. Fat does capture toxins, but it doesn't do anything with it, and it doesn't prevent exposure to your organs. Fat is an inert element of the body. It's presence shields the organs from impact, but it does not 'filter' toxins because fat does nothing.

1) Sweat is not part of the endocrine system but an exocrine gland. Often grouped with the endocrine, this is anatomically and linguistically incorrect.

2) Fat is not a tissue that "does nothing". Not only is a lipid resevoir for all cells, it is metabolically active.

3) One does not sweat out toxins - We sweat primarily salt and water with a splash of dermcidin and phermones (not everywhere), perhaps a little sugar in certain disease states.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    nj7r.jpg
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Of course you're actually hungry; your body needs food! I'm sure your mind is already made up but I would ask you to please not do this to yourself. Please just move more and don't think of food as the enemy. Please just eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, and incorporate strength training into your exercise routine. Please...seriously...I've seen so many people doing this stuff that isn't kind to their bodies nor is it sustainable...I'm just reduced to begging now. Please.

Your body doesn't need FOOD, it needs macro and micro nutrients and it needs energy from calories...

ANYway, I'm on day two of my very own liquid diet (of maintenance calories, as I've been in weight maintenance for three years after losing 50lbs!) I'm doing it to give my digestive system a break as I ate a ton of crappy food last week and I was feeling very unwell from all the rich food choices...

For three days I'm having a large fruit smoothie for breakfast, a large protein shake for lunch and a large portion of vegetable soup for dinner, with probiotic yogurts, green teas, coffees & other shakes as snacks...(such as a spirulina shake with banana, peanut butter, manuka honey and vanilla yogurt)...I'm finding it very easy, just because I was so sick of eating and eating and eating last week, I was craving that empty feeling!

Not hungry in the slightest as I'm making sure to hit all my macro requirements as well as my calorie requirements. If low on fat, I add a little flaxseed oil or olive oil to my soup...low on protein, add an extra scoop of protein powder etc...I'm also taking lots of supplements like cod liver oil, multivitamins and fiber supplements.

I needed to do this to kickstart my healthy habits again!

Only do a cleanse if you intend on eating a healthy diet when you are finished, otherwise you'll end up right back where you started and you'll have wasted your time.

I get it...you are doing the binge and purge method. Basically. You eat the crap that you feel you shouldn't then purge it in some fashion.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    After reading through a lot of the responses...I have come to the conclusion that some people here have watched way too many documentaries!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

1) Sweat is not part of the endocrine system but an exocrine gland. Often grouped with the endocrine, this is anatomically and linguistically incorrect.

2) Fat is not a tissue that "does nothing". Not only is a lipid resevoir for all cells, it is metabolically active.

3) One does not sweat out toxins - We sweat primarily salt and water with a splash of dermcidin and phermones (not everywhere), perhaps a little sugar in certain disease states.

Yeah... I'll admit that I thought I had gotten #1 wrong (referring specifically to the part where I mentioned the body system associated with sweat). But #2 is correct. Fat is only minimally metabolically active, but the point that I was making was that its purpose and function is not at all relative to the filtration of toxins. And I never said anything about sweating out toxins.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    tHw0b.gif
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Please name ONE toxin...of the many, no doubt...that the "cleanse" eliminates from your body.
    CASH

There's cash inside of my body!!?? Why am i just learning about this now!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    This thread seriously has me doing a "WTF????" face.

funny-pictures-farting-kitten.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

so why does eating too much curry make your sweat smell of curry?

ETA: this is a lighthearted fun question, not a confrontational one (have to make stuff like that clear on the internet lol)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Rather than doing a juice fast, why not add whole juicing to your diet instead? You can easily replace an afternoon or mid morning snack with a whole juice option you can make at home. I recently purchased a nutri bullet & started with fruit smoothies with baby spinach added to work my way up to adding more veggies.

I figured if I could'nt stomach the veggie flavors, I could at least replace ice cream with whole fruit smoothies when a sugar jones hit. It worked out so well for me, I've been able to add kale, carrots, coconut water, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and other things to my diet that I normally would not have.

I'm aiming to displace some of my unhealthy food choices by adding in some good stuff.

I've found that all my sugar allowance for the day (according to MFP) is usually consumed in one whole fruit and veggie smoothie and I don't crave sugary foods through out the day anymore. So it's been win win for me. Also, because I'm having ground flax seeds in my drink, I find I need to drink more water as I get super thirsty. Again, something that I feel fits in well with my goals.

Good Luck :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    To answer your question in the title.....

Yes.

Came to say the exact same thing.

You want to cleanse yourself?

Drink water

Go to the bathroom
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Line up with the Dr. Oz followers so we can slap you.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

so why does eating too much curry make your sweat smell of curry?

ETA: this is a lighthearted fun question, not a confrontational one (have to make stuff like that clear on the internet lol)

And also people get the beer sweats after a heavy night out? :sick:

(also curious :flowerforyou: )
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Your line must be building up - need any help?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    airplane-slap_o_GIFSoupcom_zps057e9bbf.gif
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

Your line must be building up - need any help?
    Yes please! There are dumb people everywhere!