breakfast...the most unhealthiest meal of the day..

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    And the meat? Ham, bacon, sausage....high in sodium, high in fat, high in calories. Breakfast tends to be a lose lose situation for Americans who seem to think that breakfast consists of two or three of these elements!

hold on there budy don't you start criticizing my bacon - dems fighting words....

And in additional some of this info is just plain not true. Yes these meats are high in sodium and nitrites so that is a reason ot limit them. There is nothing wrong with fats in moderation and within daily targets. They are not high in calories. That is a myth. 2 slices of cooked bacon is 83 calories with 6 grams of protien. A decent size slice of breakfast ham is 60 calories and 10 grams of protein. Doesn't look high cal to me.

and just don't eat it first thing in the morning..because that is just plain wrong!

Why, exactly, is having two regular slices of bacon, one scrambled egg (easy on the butter for the pan, and no salt added), and two pieces of 100% whole wheat toast "wrong" to have first thing in the morning, if you're hungry and that's what you want for a high-protein filling breakfast? Why would it be better to eat said food in the afternoon? Give me scientific reasoning to back this up, then we'll talk. Right now you're just throwing out your opinion, which doesn't hold a candle to much. If YOU don't want to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, fine, YOU don't have to!

Take another look. He didn't say that. He said don't "just" eat it first thing in the morning. Plus, are you missing your irony recognition chip?
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I hope the OP is just trolling all of us. I hope.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

Everyone says that breakfast is the most healthiest meal of the day. yet 2/3 of those eating breakfast are obese..I find this interesting...why is breakfast so "healthy" yet the people eating it are obese???

Please, for the love of the grammar gods, stop saying "most healthiest".
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Its things like this that cause people to be so confused when it comes to nutritional information. Yes, a marketing ploy is to say that breakfast is the healthiest meal of the day. Its meant to break your fast from sleeping... to provide your body with the nutrients it needs to start your day. It doesn't matter the time of the day.... it all depends on what you eat. You can have cheesecake pancakes from ihop for breakfast or you can have some fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, or granola for breakfast. The statistics are basically proving, if anything, that people are not making wise decisions. That's it.

exactly this --- breakfast means breaking your fast (as in the time you're not eating while you sleep) and by definition the first meal you eat in the day is your "breakfast" regardless of whether you call it lunch or supper or whatever. Is most of the stuff that gets marketed as "breakfast food" crap? Of course it is, it's over-procesed junk. But anyone who thinks they have to comprise their breakfast of things that are marketed as such is too brainwashed by media to have any chance in this world.

^This. Of course as kids we want all the sugary nonsense for breakfast-- sweet cereal, donuts, danishes, pop tarts, muffins, the whole nine yards. Now, I eat a half cup of granola (or a cup of regular cereal with some nuts thrown in), maybe a low fat yogurt, and a piece of fruit with my cup of coffee and sugar free creamer. I can't even remember the last time I had a pop tart...
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the point of this post was...

It's just as easy to eat a healthy breakfast as it is to eat an unhealthy one, just like any other meal. The fact that you just stated that eating breakfast is a direct cause of obesity is absurd.

Actually is it really absurd?

Society has you thinking that breakfast should be your largest meal too. The average person who follows this also might have a big lunch, a big dinner and not to mention snacks.. when you eat big constantly and over eat constantly you get fat. Skipping breakfast is a way of caloric restriction that makes you body use up internal stores. Makes sense to me!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Everyone says that breakfast is the most healthiest meal of the day. yet 2/3 of those eating breakfast are obese..I find this interesting...why is breakfast so "healthy" yet the people eating it are obese???

most healthiest, most healthiest, most healthiest, most healthiest, most healthiest...happy :)

I really should not start a thread after a few vodkas and a beer (last night) so my apologies to the grammar natzis...
  • Seralithe
    Options
    Its things like this that cause people to be so confused when it comes to nutritional information. Yes, a marketing ploy is to say that breakfast is the healthiest meal of the day. Its meant to break your fast from sleeping... to provide your body with the nutrients it needs to start your day. It doesn't matter the time of the day.... it all depends on what you eat. You can have cheesecake pancakes from ihop for breakfast or you can have some fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, or granola for breakfast. The statistics are basically proving, if anything, that people are not making wise decisions. That's it.

exactly this --- breakfast means breaking your fast (as in the time you're not eating while you sleep) and by definition the first meal you eat in the day is your "breakfast" regardless of whether you call it lunch or supper or whatever. Is most of the stuff that gets marketed as "breakfast food" crap? Of course it is, it's over-procesed junk. But anyone who thinks they have to comprise their breakfast of things that are marketed as such is too brainwashed by media to have any chance in this world.

^This. Of course as kids we want all the sugary nonsense for breakfast-- sweet cereal, donuts, danishes, pop tarts, muffins, the whole nine yards. Now, I eat a half cup of granola (or a cup of regular cereal with some nuts thrown in), maybe a low fat yogurt, and a piece of fruit with my cup of coffee and sugar free creamer. I can't even remember the last time I had a pop tart...

*Nod* That's the way to go! :happy:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    And the meat? Ham, bacon, sausage....high in sodium, high in fat, high in calories. Breakfast tends to be a lose lose situation for Americans who seem to think that breakfast consists of two or three of these elements!

hold on there budy don't you start criticizing my bacon - dems fighting words....

And in additional some of this info is just plain not true. Yes these meats are high in sodium and nitrites so that is a reason ot limit them. There is nothing wrong with fats in moderation and within daily targets. They are not high in calories. That is a myth. 2 slices of cooked bacon is 83 calories with 6 grams of protien. A decent size slice of breakfast ham is 60 calories and 10 grams of protein. Doesn't look high cal to me.

and just don't eat it first thing in the morning..because that is just plain wrong!

Why, exactly, is having two regular slices of bacon, one scrambled egg (easy on the butter for the pan, and no salt added), and two pieces of 100% whole wheat toast "wrong" to have first thing in the morning, if you're hungry and that's what you want for a high-protein filling breakfast? Why would it be better to eat said food in the afternoon? Give me scientific reasoning to back this up, then we'll talk. Right now you're just throwing out your opinion, which doesn't hold a candle to much. If YOU don't want to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, fine, YOU don't have to!

why is it right to eat first thing in the morning? Where is YOUR scientific reasoning? You just like to wake up and eat first thing in the morning so you feel better, so this is YOUR opinion...
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    How does this make sense. Less than half the people in the US eat breakfast yet you are blaming breakfast for people being obese. So if 80% of people eat dinner then it must be dinners fault that people are obese. Lets cut dinner out then. Would go more towards your logic.

i am not blaming breakfast..I just quoted the stats...

I have never heard that breakfast is the "healthiest" meal of the day anywhere other than from you, in this post. What is said is that it's the most *important* meal of the day. Why? Because by definition breakfast is the first food you eat after sleeping for eight hours, and it sets the tone. If you eat sugary fat-laden garbage then you will have a sugar crash, and go into a cycle of craving junk all day --- if you eat something healthy, like fruit in plain greek yogurt, or a veggie scramble, etc, then it will be easier to avoid over-eating later on.

Also, you're assuming that 2/3 of the people eating breakfast are obese --- you can't say that because something is true of 2/3 of the total population it is also true of 2/3 of a particular group . . . . that's not how statistics work.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I call B.S. , i eat breakfast everyday and have had amazing results . I actually ate more food in the last year than i would have if i didnt change my ways . It was a matter of quality over quantity, and exercise. The theory of In versus out still remains. In the end though , do what feels right for you.
  • cindy8120
    Options
    I would say I have to agree. I know that there are people who need to keep thier blood sugar stable and need meds that require food. But the average healthy person, I believe can live without breakfast.

http://stronglifts.com/7-reasons-why-you-should-not-eat-breakfast/
  • KBSwinger
    Options
    What it boils down to is appetite regulation. Whatever causes you to manage your intake better will make you eat less.

Skip-Breakfast.jpg
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Not sure what the point of this post was...

It's just as easy to eat a healthy breakfast as it is to eat an unhealthy one, just like any other meal. The fact that you just stated that eating breakfast is a direct cause of obesity is absurd.

Actually is it really absurd?

Society has you thinking that breakfast should be your largest meal too. The average person who follows this also might have a big lunch, a big dinner and not to mention snacks.. when you eat big constantly and over eat constantly you get fat. Skipping breakfast is a way of caloric restriction that makes you body use up internal stores. Makes sense to me!

Society has me thinking that breakfast, like any other meal of the day, is supersized whenever you want to eat out. The average person who "eats big" on a daily basis will wake up hungry and want to eat a large breakfast because they eat large for every meal. That doesn't really correlate to how the breakfast, in and of itself, affected their day. If you want to blame society for something, blame the fact that portion size is a joke when it comes to restaurant meals, and the restaurant industry getting people to think that those portions are reasonable instead of grossly excessive. We eat five scoops of ice cream in a sundae at our favorite restaurant, then the next day go eat two scoops at home and think that's a moderate portion.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    why not? Everyone says that breakfast is the most "healthiest meal" of the day. But most of the people eating breakfast are obese. You know who is selling that breakfast is the healthiest meal line...the companies that are selling you breakfast - Kellogg's, quaker, etc etc...so OF COURSE they want you to think breakfast is healthy so you will keep buying their crap....
    [/quote]

I've never heard that "breakfast is the most healthiest meal of the day". I have heard that it is important. I agree with the other posters saying it totally depends on what you eat for breakfast. Coffee and donuts every day will certainly make you gain weight (unless you are eating nothing else all day). Breakfast CAN be healthy. I eat breakfast everyday and guess what I'm not obese or overweight.
  • KBSwinger
    Options
    I would say I have to agree. I know that there are people who need to keep thier blood sugar stable and need meds that require food. But the average healthy person, I believe can live without breakfast.

http://stronglifts.com/7-reasons-why-you-should-not-eat-breakfast/

Have read this before great read!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I call B.S. , i eat breakfast everyday and have had amazing results . I actually ate more food in the last year than i would have if i didnt change my ways . It was a matter of quality over quantity, and exercise. The theory of In versus out still remains. In the end though , do what feels right for you.

Your results are not due to you eating at 6 am. They are a result of consistency of caloric restriction and exercising.
  • KBSwinger
    Options

Your results are not due to you eating at 6 am. They are a result of consistency of caloric restriction and exercising.

Amen!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

most healthiest, most healthiest, most healthiest, most healthiest, most healthiest...happy :)

I really should not start a thread after a few vodkas and a beer (last night) so my apologies to the grammar natzis...

Nazi*

:tongue:
  • Ramberta
    Options

why is it right to eat first thing in the morning? Where is YOUR scientific reasoning? You just like to wake up and eat first thing in the morning so you feel better, so this is YOUR opinion...

I'm not the one saying that breakfast will make you fat, dear. I don't really give a damn what, or when, or whether people choose to eat breakfast. Because one meal out of the day does NOT mean you're going to put on or lose weight. It's based on your caloric deficit for the ENTIRE day based on your exercise and activity level. So you could eat breakfast and be healthy, or not and be healthy. You're the one trying (and failing) to get people to agree with your misguided logic.

Edit: And in case you missed it, I never eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, and rarely even toast. I have a half cup of granola, a 6 oz lowfat yogurt, and maybe a piece of fruit, and coffee. That is neither unhealthy nor excessive. I am obese, but it has nothing to do with me eating breakfast or not.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    why not? Everyone says that breakfast is the most "healthiest meal" of the day. But most of the people eating breakfast are obese. You know who is selling that breakfast is the healthiest meal line...the companies that are selling you breakfast - Kellogg's, quaker, etc etc...so OF COURSE they want you to think breakfast is healthy so you will keep buying their crap....

I've never heard that "breakfast is the most healthiest meal of the day". I have heard that it is important. I agree with the other posters saying it totally depends on what you eat for breakfast. Coffee and donuts every day will certainly make you gain weight (unless you are eating nothing else all day). Breakfast CAN be healthy. I eat breakfast everyday and guess what I'm not obese or overweight.
    [/quote]

If you swapped the donuts our for food you eat later in the day it makes no difference as long as the macros are interchangeable.