breakfast...the most unhealthiest meal of the day..

Options

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    forty four percent of us eat breakfast, yet 2/3's of americans are obese.
    Every two people who eat breakfast cause three people to become fat. Sounds legit.

But if I eat breakfast and am fat already, then what? Do I count myself as one of the three people infected by my breakfast consumption? :o
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Every two people who eat breakfast cause three people to become fat. Sounds legit.

But if I eat breakfast and am fat already, then what? Do I count myself as one of the three people infected by my breakfast consumption? :o

Infected? Maybe breakfast is what will start the Zombie Apocalypse??????
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I call B.S. , i eat breakfast everyday and have had amazing results . I actually ate more food in the last year than i would have if i didnt change my ways . It was a matter of quality over quantity, and exercise. The theory of In versus out still remains. In the end though , do what feels right for you.

Your results are not due to you eating at 6 am. They are a result of consistency of caloric restriction and exercising.

But the point is, it doesn't actually matter whether you eat breakfast or not, so someone trying to bash the concept of "breakfast" as in, a meal consisting of certain "breakfast" foods (cereal, yogurt, toast, fruit, eggs, etc) before noon, is essentially saying "Look at me, my choices are working for me personally so they MUST be what everyone else should do." And that comes off looking arrogant and ignorant.

I'm not agreeing with the fact that breakfast makes you fat. Personally I follow IF... but i know people who still have great success with 6-7 meals a day as well. It is personal preference overall. However, i do have a problem with that fact that there are people out there who consider it being a total necessity, just like i have a problem with people who think it is a necessity to eat 6-7 meals a day to get lean.

The obesity epedemic is due to a bunch of lazy people who don't get up and move around and consume too many calories. For all of those saying "I eat breakfast and I'm not fat". You also EXERCISE and are active. For those who are obese, skipping breakfast probably would be a great idea considering they're going to just sit there and shove food down their throat anyway.

My only personal example to bring to the table is my ex, who at her heaviest weight was over 400 pounds. She wouldn't eat the entire day, then would pig out on an enormous dinner, usually fast food, and go to bed an hour or two later, or stay up half the night snacking. The only reason I advocate eating breakfast is because I do think it's better to spread your calories out over the course of the day rather than to eat a ton for one meal and starve yourself for hours after waking. All my ex would think about all day was how hungry she was, but when I tried to get her to pack lunches and eat breakfast she insisted she didn't have time or proper ingredients. People will make excuses for their poor habits, but that does not mean that the bar should be set based on poor habits of others. The notion of "breakfast" is as healthy or unhealthy as you care to make it, and also as necessary or unnecessary as you care to make it. But for people who are active early in the day, I think it's beneficial assuming you choose foods that will fuel your body rather than make you crave junk the rest of the day.

Caloric surplus. I can put down 6k calories in one meal at breakfast and skip eating the rest of the day and gain weight. It wasn't because breakfast was skipped, it was because she ate extremely caloric dense food. Had she skipped eating all day and then binged on chicken and broccoli do you think the result would be the same? Probably not. Its much easier to hit 2k calories in one sitting with junk food then 2k calories from chicken and broccoli.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Infected? Maybe breakfast is what will start the Zombie Apocalypse??????

it won't lead to zombie apocalypse, but it will eventually cause something similar to the virus in "28 days" ...The theory goes that people will over eat so much after having breakfast that they will turn on other humans and start eating them = scary but true.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    hmmm I guess my brian stopped working six months ago when I stopped eating breakfast then..?

Not breaking your fast will lead to death. Yes, you eat breakfast. Don't claim otherwise. You may eat it in the afternoon or evening, but you break it, eventually. Neither you, nor your friend Brian would be able to go very long without eating something. :wink:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Repeating "everyone says breakfast is the healthiest meal..." isnt very credible. Who is everyone? I have never heard that. I have heard its the "most important" meal of the day, but healthy is subjective based on WHAT they are eating. Are you trolling or just stupid?

easy on the insults now..lets not get personal ...we are all still friends right...?? I am sorry to have attached the good and wholesome name of breakfast. Please continue to gorge yourselves first thing in the AM....

Actually I dont "gorge" myself first thing in the morning. But way to make assumptions! Each person is different and pounding around screaming "I am right" like youre doing right now is laughable. Get off your high horse and do something productive.
    in my experience when one resorts to name calling they have become so unhinged to as have lost the debate
  • ndj1979
    Options
    hmmm I guess my brian stopped working six months ago when I stopped eating breakfast then..?

Not breaking your fast will lead to death. Yes, you eat breakfast. Don't claim otherwise. You may eat it in the afternoon or evening, but you break it, eventually. Neither you, nor your friend Brian would be able to go very long without eating something. :wink:

who is Brian?

and I prefer the term first noon day meal to breakfast or break fast....
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to piss off a moderator to shut this spinning wheels thread down lol.
  • Ramberta
    Options

who is Brian?

You can call your first meal of the day whatever you want to call it, honey, but it's still breaking your fast from the previous night. That is fact.
  • ndj1979
    Options

who is Brian?

You can call your first meal of the day whatever you want to call it, honey, but it's still breaking your fast from the previous night. That is fact.

My crew and I prefer the term - "breakfast conquistadors"
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ever read through something and feel like your IQ dropped a little by reading it?

Simply now, so I don't hurt the OP, breakfast is often touted as the "most important" meal of the day. It is done so for many reasons. It is the first meal which breaks your fast and so sets the tone of your day (what you're most likely to eat like through the rest of your day), creates enzymes and raises internal body temperature to increase metabolism rates, and provides you your first nutritional fuel for your day. For these reasons, and follow me now, it SHOULD be your healthiest meal of the day.

Skipping having a meal when you get up because of doughnuts and pancakes and sausage and whatnot is ridiculous. It has to do with choices, just like any other meal. You decide what to fuel yourself with. There is nothing wrong with fueling yourself with egg whites and Canadian bacon, or a bowl of oatmeal and an apple, or some strawberries and some yogurt, or whatever other healthy breakfast choices a person makes.
  • Ramberta
    Options

Caloric surplus. I can put down 6k calories in one meal at breakfast and skip eating the rest of the day and gain weight. It wasn't because breakfast was skipped, it was because she ate extremely caloric dense food. Had she skipped eating all day and then binged on chicken and broccoli do you think the result would be the same? Probably not. Its much easier to hit 2k calories in one sitting with junk food then 2k calories from chicken and broccoli.

You're right, I'm sure the fast food meals added up to way more than 3k calories on average, with the soda and everything. However, when you go the whole day feeling starved because you haven't eaten, you're probably going to be far less likely to want to expend extra effort to prepare something healthy than to grab something convenient and unhealthy. That's the point I was making-- that people who don't eat breakfast can be (notice I said can, not are, because it's not a proven fact and I admit that) at an increased risk to make poor food choices the rest of the day because they get too hungry and cranky and want comfort food. I personally would rather not put myself in that position because I feel like I would make poor choices and rationalize it by saying I skipped breakfast.

But like I said-- eating breakfast is neither right nor wrong for the general populous, because everyone is on a different internal schedule. If you work overnight shifts, "breakfast" is probably your last meal of the day rather than the first! So, simply because I personally think eating breakfast is a good choice doesn't mean I'm arrogant enough to presume it's the only way to eat healthy or have a successful weight-losing diet.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree with the most people eating breakfast are obese. I started eating breakfast after taking a Weight Wise course put on by our health care system here in Alberta, Canada. After eating breakfast for 4 months I packed on 12 pounds and my calories intake did not change but the sugar did and we all know what sugar does.
    When these health care aides tell you you need to have your fruits/vegetable, potients and carbs at every eat it is impossible to stay under the 28g sugar suggested.
    I usullay have Bran Buds with fat free yogurt, half a grapefruit and a glass of milk and just by eating this I have almost used up my daily sugar intake yet my meal may only be 300 calories. Hense I have returned to either skipping breakfat or just having my 1/2 grapefruit and a glass of water and then having a snack which since I have done this 1 week ago I have lost 4 pounds of the weight I packed on from the suggestions made at the Weight Wise course.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    No breakfast for me... More calories for my tasty, tasty steak dinner tonight. :flowerforyou:
  • Ramberta
    Options

who is Brian?

Um, what now? I'm imagining some sort of Don Quixote-like figure wearing a tunic with an emblem of bacon on it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You're right, I'm sure the fast food meals added up to way more than 3k calories on average, with the soda and everything. However, when you go the whole day feeling starved because you haven't eaten, you're probably going to be far less likely to want to expend extra effort to prepare something healthy than to grab something convenient and unhealthy. That's the point I was making-- that people who don't eat breakfast can be (notice I said can, not are, because it's not a proven fact and I admit that) at an increased risk to make poor food choices the rest of the day because they get too hungry and cranky and want comfort food. I personally would rather not put myself in that position because I feel like I would make poor choices and rationalize it by saying I skipped breakfast.

But like I said-- eating breakfast is neither right nor wrong for the general populous, because everyone is on a different internal schedule. If you work overnight shifts, "breakfast" is probably your last meal of the day rather than the first! So, simply because I personally think eating breakfast is a good choice doesn't mean I'm arrogant enough to presume it's the only way to eat healthy or have a successful weight-losing diet.

I would agree. To each their own. I personally found fasting to be a better fit as a have a huge appetite... i used to eat 7 meals a day around 400 calories per meal. 10 minutes later i would still be hungry. I've put myself further in control now by consuming most of the calories in my post workout window. However, and this is solely my own opinion here... i have found it much easier to stay lean through intermittent fasting then when i was eating 6-7 times a day from 5:30 am at breakfast until 10 pm at night.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

who is Brian?

IDK who Brian is...all you said about him was that he quit working six months ago. How should I know who he is? You brought him up. *shrugs*

You can call it what you will, but it's still breaking the fast. A lot of people think it's not breakfast unless it's "breakfast foods." It doesn't change the fact that everyone eventually has to eat something and that time of day is irrelevant.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast was the best thing I ever did.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

who is Brian?

FTR, I don't think "conquistador" or "first noon meal" are gonna catch on. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Ever read through something and feel like your IQ dropped a little by reading it?

Simply now, so I don't hurt the OP, breakfast is often touted as the "most important" meal of the day. It is done so for many reasons. It is the first meal which breaks your fast and so sets the tone of your day (what you're most likely to eat like through the rest of your day), creates enzymes and raises internal body temperature to increase metabolism rates, and provides you your first nutritional fuel for your day. For these reasons, and follow me now, it SHOULD be your healthiest meal of the day.

Skipping having a meal when you get up because of doughnuts and pancakes and sausage and whatnot is ridiculous. It has to do with choices, just like any other meal. You decide what to fuel yourself with. There is nothing wrong with fueling yourself with egg whites and Canadian bacon, or a bowl of oatmeal and an apple, or some strawberries and some yogurt, or whatever other healthy breakfast choices a person makes.

There's nothing wrong with pancakes and sausage either. Each to her own.