The brave and the human

Options
I have struggled a long time with self esteem issues...

Common thoughts of mine:
- If you really knew me... you wouldn't love me.
- If you could see me in person... you wouldn't be so impressed
- I'm a let down when you actually get to know / meet / see me

I have been on a blog campaign to bare the ugly in me... to be blunt and bold and open about who I am... fully expecting to have people delete me and walk away.

Instead, they have stayed. In fact, they seem to love me now more than ever.

It doesn't compute with my messed up self image, but it is something I have REALLY needed to experience.

So today, I am posting this thread, with a picture and a dare... because again - I need to be open and exposed and show people that perfection is something that you can strive for, but it is not attainable, NOR IS IT NECESSARY.

I take a lot of pics. I have struggled with body image and take pics to help my heart register what the camera and others see. I QA my pictures dramatically. I don't post pics where I look like crap. I don't post cellulite, or dimples. If I see them, the pic gets deleted. If I cant take a pic without them, I don't take it.

So today... here is a pic of my dimples. The lighting in my house at this moment is not good at showing them off (go figure), but here it is.

8d20a85f-a6da-4781-9a88-9951f7ee6a6b_zps8984de29.jpg

I have a cyst on my hip that I rarely allow out in photos... there it is... and yes... *kitten* dimples.

My dare: I dare you to be real and post a pic you normally wouldn't have put up (whether is is you without makeup, you with dimples, or back fat, or big feet)... and just get it out there. please abide by posting guidelines... no nudity, thongs, etc.

Anyone who comes in here to be cruel... think twice, think ten times before you respond. You can really mess a person up for life if you do that. And really, there are lots of other places you can be mean. :)

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    lol certainly think this one quite a bit

i don't put up pics that aren't too flattering either... but take quite a few lol. oddly some of the ones i didn't like people said they did like the one i have up now.

i would post some of my not so good ones but its such a pain in the butt to post any pics lol

you are even more my hero now Mirey

PS, your stomach still looks sexy from that angle lol.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    you're beautiful, sandy!

here's a pic of me during the cupid's undie run. i loved the day and my outfit! but my tummy is not flat....and i have stretch marks. also, i had JUST shaved my 'pits that morning, but here they are, dark as hell. not so pretty but damn, i felt awesome that day!

563203_414034078690576_2050971286_n.jpg
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Challenge accepted. Will need to think about it awhile because I'm actually pretty happy with who I am these days.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    you're beautiful, sandy!

here's a pic of me during the cupid's undie run. i loved the day and my outfit! but my tummy is not flat....and i have stretch marks. also, i had JUST shaved my 'pits that morning, but here they are, dark as hell. not so pretty but damn, i felt awesome that day!

563203_414034078690576_2050971286_n.jpg

I LOVE THIS PIC! and I love you too silvergurl! *MUAH* thanks for being brave!

@emany... you are open and honest now... that's why you are pretty happy with who you are... the more open and honest I force myself to be... the more I seem to love myself.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it will post a FB pic.

This was a few months before I joined before MFP. I detest this pic with the fire of a thousand suns.

524973_3628891853030_1021767484_n.jpg

Glad I posted it though. I see progress.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Not sure if it will post a FB pic.

This was a few months before I joined before MFP. I detest this pic with the fire of a thousand suns.

524973_3628891853030_1021767484_n.jpg

Glad I posted it though. I see progress.

I am curious as to why? I see someone who is happy and smiling and beautiful, and full of joy. It's a beautiful pic!
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Welp. Here goes. I tell people all the time I'm not nearly as hot as they think I am or they see in my ('posed just right and good lighting' photos). And I'm sick of people telling me I don't have anything to lose. Yes, I do. My front side (abdomen). Here it is this morning. Stretch marks, extra skin, and flab. Om nom nom. But it allowed me to carry two big ol' babies full term, so I embrace it anyway. Good thread Mirey...we're not perfect of body or mind sometimes...but we're works in progress and we shine no less!

Please dear God don't make these be hyooooge when they post!
    37138_zps5fe480af.jpg

37138_zps17bb7bb9.jpg
  • Danieboo757
    Options
    Ill post if u tell me how!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Welp. Here goes. I tell people all the time I'm not nearly as hot as they think I am or they see in my ('posed just right and good lighting' photos). And I'm sick of people telling me I don't have anything to lose. Yes, I do. My front side (abdomen). Here it is this morning. Stretch marks, extra skin, and flab. Om nom nom. But it allowed me to carry two big ol' babies full term, so I embrace it anyway. Good thread Mirey...we're not perfect of body or mind sometimes...but we're works in progress and we shine no less!

Please dear God don't make these be hyooooge when they post!
    *removed pics from my quote for dizzy's comfort*

honey you are brave and bold and amazing. you are one of my heros on here, and I think you are AWESOME.

are we perfect? no... and geeze baby making messes us up... thank GOD there's a boob ban - cuz that there is my nemesis.
    your body is sexy RIGHT now... and you've done great work!

and really... I can't stop staring at those thighs! HHAWT! (in a non creepy way)
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    37138_zps17bb7bb9.jpg
    I aspire to have YOUR body. THIS body. THIS abdomen. So THERE. (sorry for the yelling, but I feel strongly about this)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Common thoughts of mine:

I have been on a blog campaign to bare the ugly in me... to be blunt and bold and open about who I am... fully expecting to have people delete me and walk away.

It doesn't compute with my messed up self image, but it is something I have REALLY needed to experience.

So today, I am posting this thread, with a picture and a dare... because again - I need to be open and exposed and show people that perfection is something that you can strive for, but it is not attainable, NOR IS IT NECESSARY.

I take a lot of pics. I have struggled with body image and take pics to help my heart register what the camera and others see. I QA my pictures dramatically. I don't post pics where I look like crap. I don't post cellulite, or dimples. If I see them, the pic gets deleted. If I cant take a pic without them, I don't take it.

So today... here is a pic of my dimples. The lighting in my house at this moment is not good at showing them off (go figure), but here it is.

I have a cyst on my hip that I rarely allow out in photos... there it is... and yes... *kitten* dimples.

My dare: I dare you to be real and post a pic you normally wouldn't have put up (whether is is you without makeup, you with dimples, or back fat, or big feet)... and just get it out there. please abide by posting guidelines... no nudity, thongs, etc.

Anyone who comes in here to be cruel... think twice, think ten times before you respond. You can really mess a person up for life if you do that. And really, there are lots of other places you can be mean. :)

:flowerforyou: Can we be friends? :blushing:
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

Common thoughts of mine:

All these, AND :
    ~ If I'm not doing something / improving something / being productive / being Super____ (mom, wife, woman, whatever), I'm just a lump 'o nothing, taking up space.

I've been mired in that one for my whole life, and am starting to get really exhausted, AND sick of that voice in my head. Haven't conquered it yet, though.

Here's my dreaded photo. Yep, that's me in the ugly green sweater. I wasn't happy at the time, and felt tired, huge, ridiculous. I was working out then, too, and it wasn't doing a THING. GAH. Still hate it:
    6125351611_2c395f97bd.jpg
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I love you ladies! You're all beautiful and human, yes even the hot b!tches have stretch marks and cellulite.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    not brave

ok brave

tumblr_mjavgotW0o1qii6gjo2_500.jpg

JULY 2012

I hate this picture of myself. I was so nervous, it was a black tie night, I was all red carpet and deer in headlights flying solo and just felt lieka blimp, had just started deadlifting and BLOOOMP
  • MireyGal76
    Options

Common thoughts of mine:

All these, AND :
    ~ If I'm not doing something / improving something / being productive / being Super____ (mom, wife, woman, whatever), I'm just a lump 'o nothing, taking up space.

I've been mired in that one for my whole life, and am starting to get really exhausted, AND sick of that voice in my head. Haven't conquered it yet, though.

Here's my dreaded photo. Yep, that's me in the ugly green sweater. I wasn't happy at the time, and felt tired, huge, ridiculous. I was working out then, too, and it wasn't doing a THING. GAH. Still hate it:
    6125351611_2c395f97bd.jpg

and yet that smile lights up the whole picture. do you realize that is all I saw until you pointed out the sweater? All I could focus on was the brilliant smile!
    I am with you on all the above. and great big hugs to thank you for posting!!!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    not brave

darlin... I saw them before you took them down... and my honest to god first thought was... cmon hun, you're sposed to post an uncomfy pic... darlin you look absolutely stunning in both of them! I am not blowing smoke or sunshine - you have this inner beauty that takes over the entire freaking thread.

consider putting them back - they were both gorgeous.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

and yet that smile lights up the whole picture. do you realize that is all I saw until you pointed out the sweater? All I could focus on was the brilliant smile!
    I am with you on all the above. and great big hugs to thank you for posting!!!

Awwwwwwww, shucks. Thank you.:blushing: :blushing:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Common thoughts of mine:

Just like you, I've struggled with self-esteem issues for as long as I can remember. Going to school and having several classmates make fun of you for your height or glasses, or just how you look in general, and then going home to have your stepfather tell you how stupid, worthless, and lazy you are and how no one cares if you're around or not... that'll do some damage on the old self-esteem. Anyway, I just wanted to say how I admire you for putting out this challenge and for being brave enough to do it yourself. I'll post a picture later. I'm at work and my "weight loss" pictures are on my laptop at home.

You are all amazing.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I always have make up on, mostly because it hides my flaws and its something to mask under. I don't take pictures of myself without it on, even if I claim I have none on, I normally do. So heres me, nothing on and nerding out.

69260_830593267725_587840294_n.jpg

I also never take pictures where I am fully facing the camera- I have really wide hips and while everyone always tells me how "thin" I am, I never feel that way. I still don't feel that way. I always know my best angles and I too tell people "if you only met me in person you would see its not as good as the pics show"

598733_830619255645_1043428738_n.jpg

Sorry if these end up being ginormous.

We all have our own demons to work through- at least none of us are alone in that. We all want to change something, but let us all try to slowly learn to love ourselves, even the not soo good parts. (i am working on it)
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I always have make up on, mostly because it hides my flaws and its something to mask under. I don't take pictures of myself without it on, even if I claim I have none on, I normally do. So heres me, nothing on and nerding out.

69260_830593267725_587840294_n.jpg

I also never take pictures where I am fully facing the camera- I have really wide hips and while everyone always tells me how "thin" I am, I never feel that way. I still don't feel that way. I always know my best angles and I too tell people "if you only met me in person you would see its not as good as the pics show"

598733_830619255645_1043428738_n.jpg

Sorry if these end up being ginormous.

We all have our own demons to work through- at least none of us are alone in that. We all want to change something, but let us all try to slowly learn to love ourselves, even the not soo good parts. (i am working on it)

I love the first pic... makes me smile and I love the attitude! beautiful! as for the hips... they are perfectly in line with your shoulders. and cripes do you have a gorgeous tiny waist and a lean core! I have a very boxy shape, very little curve in the waist, so I find myself envious of those who have it. :)