Your favorite simple chicken recipe ....

Options
Hi guys i would love to know what your favorite basic recipes are and what you prepare them with sides also =) thanks

Replies

• phillrachel
    Options
    Here is my favorite chicken taco recipe in the slow cooker. Not sure on nutritional info since I have never calculated it, but I think its fairly healthy if you don't load up on too many toppings.

3 Frozen chicken breasts
    1 can corn drained
    1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
    1 can of rotel
    1 package of taco seasoning

Put all in crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred chicken with fork when you get home. Serve in favorite hard shells or tortillas. Top with your favorite toppings - cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc.

I think you could serve over rice too if you want some type of taco bowl or make a chicken taco salad out of it.
  • rudyu1979
    rudyu1979 Posts: 13
    Options
    I will give this a try!

Thanks! =)
  • unknownwoman
    Options
    Thawed chicken breasts ( I prefer boneless), marinated for a couple of hours in puréed garlic, onion, a squeeze of lime and spices. If I don't have time to purée, I don't worry about it. Toss onto a pre-heated BBQ and cook over low heat only turning once. I usually serve this with a side of grilled veggies or steamed veggies with a little coconut oil and favourite spices drizzled over it.

If there is any left over chicken the next day, I cut it up into very small pieces, mix in some celery, onions, peppers all cut into small pieces, add a little mayonnaise, and serve with big leafs of roman lettuce to eat as finger foods.
  • DJoyner260
    DJoyner260 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot, Jar of Salsa, Three boneless/ skinless chicken breast, and 7 to 10 hours depending on level of heat (high/ low) and brown rice. AWESOME!!!!
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sparkpeople Cookbook "Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken". You can put it in rice, or pasta, or wrap in tortillas and eat. It's on the Sparkpeople website which has TONS of good healthy recipies and list full calorie and nutrient count.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    1lb chicken breast
    1 can chunk pineapple
    1 red bell pepper chopped
    1 red onion chopped
    Soy sauce and Sririchi according to taste

Throw all in crock pot till done and serve over rice. Under 400 calories for a large serving, (quarter of recipe plus 1 cup brown rice).
  • Drvortex
    Drvortex Posts: 8
    Options
    Crock Pot, Jar of Salsa, Three boneless/ skinless chicken breast, and 7 to 10 hours depending on level of heat (high/ low) and brown rice. AWESOME!!!!

Yep...heard about this. I just finished eating Asian Chicken Wrap that was slow cooked but heard about the chicken and salsa recipe. That will be the next recipe up. Thanks.
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bake thin-sliced chicken with pesto on top at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Add (a small amount) fresh mozzarella on top and pop back in the oven for a few more minutes. Best sides - fresh steamed broccoli and cauliflower! Low cal and flavorful!
  • GinJon
    GinJon Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite chicken taco recipe in the slow cooker. Not sure on nutritional info since I have never calculated it, but I think its fairly healthy if you don't load up on too many toppings.

3 Frozen chicken breasts
    1 can corn drained
    1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
    1 can of rotel
    1 package of taco seasoning

Put all in crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred chicken with fork when you get home. Serve in favorite hard shells or tortillas. Top with your favorite toppings - cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc.

I think you could serve over rice too if you want some type of taco bowl or make a chicken taco salad out of it.

I do one similar to this.

2 lbs of chicken breast
    4 cans of black beans (rinsed)
    2 cans of corn (drained)
    2. 5 jars of salsa (more or less to your desire)
    ground cummin

In crock pot on low 4 to 6 hours. Shred chicken and stir back in.

During the last 30 minutes you can add cream cheese or sour cream. I don't add this during cooking, however I usually add sour cream when eating. It is good over rice, in a wrap, or by itself.
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump. What a handy little thread. Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Sounds devine......Im going to try the salsa one and the black bean one. Thank you
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Two awesome simple chicken recipes:

Glazed Garlic Chicken:

Boneless skinless chicken breasts
    3 teaspoons olive oil
    4 tablespoons brown sugar
    minced garlic (whatever amount you fancy)
    cooking spray

Preheat oven to 500F.

Cook oil, garlic on the stove in frying pan until tender. Stir in sugar.

Place chicken in lightly sprayed bakeware (safe for 500F), spoon glaze over chicken and bake 15-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.

Serve with brown rice and veggies.

Chicken Tacos

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
    16 ounces Pace Picante sauce (I like medium)
    Envelope of taco seasoning

Dump picante sauce and seasoning over chicken in slow cooker, cook on low 8 hrs. Shred with two forks.

Serve with taco fixings or as a nacho. Also great with pork (and I don't like pork, haha! It makes it good though.)

Forget where the first recipe is from, the taco recipe is from http://www.mychocolatetherapy.com/
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

This! Plus, I add a can of low sodium black beans. So yummy!
  • Rwhite606
    Options
    I always check out this website for healthy and tasy recipe's - www.excellentprotein.com - My favourite is the sugar free chocolate pudding because it just tastes amazing
  • Ty519
    Ty519 Posts: 3
    Options
    Maybe it's the man in me, but I like to keep it simple.

1. Thaw 1lb of chicken breast
    2. Use 2 TBSP of whatever marinade you enjoy. I personally like Jamaican Jerk or Lemon Pepper. Let it do it's thing while at work.
    3. Grill it on a BBQ or George Foreman Grill.
    4. Serve over 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables (I have these in the freezer for the emergency/no time situations)

It isn't from my ultra-exclusive recipe collection lol... but it works for those nights when Time just isn't there.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Salad:
    romaine
    garbanzo beans
    black olives
    avocado (if it's in season)
    feta
    cilantro leaves
    mint leaves
    2 TBL ranch dressing

Topped with
    1/2 of a pan seared chicken breast, seasoned w/ salt, pepper and hot sauce
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you like chinese peanut chicken.....this recipe is on the back of the envelope of a taste of thai peanut sauce mix

2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken, I like to use chicken tenderloins
    A taste of Thai peanut sauce mix
    a can coconut milk, I use the light variety

Oven to 350 degress; mix peanut sauce mix and coconut milk. Dredge chicken (both sides) in the mixture, I put the remaining sauce in with the chicken to bake. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until done, spoon extra sauce over rice or noodles. To make it really low cal, use shiratki noodles. It is great to satisfy the chinese craving for walnut or peanut chicken.

Happy eating!!!

Chicken salad

chicken tenderloins, baked or leftover chicken or the perdue chicken that is ready grilled in the package ( in many varieties)
    Turnip fries--baked (turnips cut and tossed with EVOO and whatever seasoning you want and baked about 15 minutes)
    romaine lettuce
    any other salad toppings that you desire: cukes, radishes, tomatoes, onions, pepper, etc...

salad fixings on bottom of plate; chicken on top, sliced; turnip fries; shredded cheese, based on your liking, I use 1/4 cup low fat mozzarella and any low cal dressing. I LOVE this salad, you can use steak or pork or whatever, tuna, it's endless possibilites!!
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    8 oz boneless skinless chicken (i do mine for single servings..but this makes two to three servings)
    2 tbsp olive oil
    onion, red pepper, bell pepper
    pinch of garlic
    2-2.5 tbsp low sodium teriyaki sauce
    brown rice

heat 1 tbsp olive oil to medium, put sliced veggies in and cook until sauteed, take out of pan & set aside..return empty pan to heat put the rest of the olive oil in there, cook the chicken until done, add garlic, add back the veggies, and add the teriyaki sauce.
    make brown rice on the side..and then combine. yum
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    man pleasing chicken! so good & super simple but it does have syrup :/ GOOGLE IT! :)
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    sliced chicken breast sauteed with salsa, put on a tortilla wrap with ranch, mmm