Relocating for Love

Options
1234568»

Replies

• icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    Being in a long distance relationship, I feel like distance definitely puts stress on both partners in a relationship. It's definitely put lots of additional complexities on my life, so there is no doubt that I've really stopped and thought to myself, "Is this really worth it?" and I think to myself, and it's moments like those where I know that he really is worth every bit of space between us. "Distance is not for the fearful; it's for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those who know a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."

I definitely wish we were closer, and if the love carries out for longer, eventually move in. The things we do in the name of love huh?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No not if I'd only seen him on Skype and never in real life. I think you have to spend some time together in reality not in la la land only. I really am sorry if I missed you have been together in real life but this is just what I caught by skimming the thread. The internet is not real. You can spend all the time you like getting to know some one but it can't be the same as living in the same room with them EVERY single day and night for the rest of your life. Maybe he stinks and you can't tell that lol.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Your first responsibility is to your kid. Remember that if it doesn't work out, you won't be the only one devastated. You need to do due diligence on this fellow. Can you verify the information about him he tells you? At the very least, I would recommend visiting each other a few times before deciding to move and making sure to meet his family/friends.

I relocated to another continent after 1.5 years of long distance, and it worked out. HOWEVER, he was not my primary reason for moving, I did not immediately move in with him after I moved, and I was not dependent on him economically or otherwise. I would especially recommend not moving in immediately so that you have space a) to learn the new country on your own and b) to work out all the adjustment issues of going from long distance to local.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I would in a heartbeat. We've been together almost 2 years, and I want to spend my life with him. For me, though, I would prefer that we were at least engaged before moving together and living together. He knows that and agrees, so I don't see it becoming an issue for us.

ETA: no way would I move for someone I hadn't even met in person. Not a chance.
  • addreonnaseger
    Options
    Met my boyfriend online--ha. We were together for a year and a half and then he moved here. We've been together almost seven years.

Definitely doable. But you have to WANT it. And he/she has to want it. As a long term thing. xD
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My husband moved to the United States from the Carribean to be with me. We're recently married and unbelievably happy. I would have moved there even, I would have moved anywhere to be with this man. If you are in love, if there is no other person for you, then do NOT be afraid to do what it takes to be with that person. Do not let the right one get away because you were afraid.

I nearly said goodbye to my husband because we were afraid of the sacrifices we would have to make to be together, afraid of the amount of effort and craziness it would take, and then we realized, we had no choice. So we made a crazy leap and jumped ship on our old lives, and ran away together. :) Life is good like that.

I'm telling you, if this person is worth it (and you will know if they are. You will feel it. Be realistic) then be absolutely nuts. Do whatever it takes. Go away with them, go to the ends of the earth for them. No love can be true and real if you hold back.

added note: To clarify, I knew my husband in person and we dated before he came here, I was living there on business travel when I met him. He basically just came home with me. So we knew eachother in person, we knew eachother's faults and what we were getting into, and we did our homework too, he was very prepared before coming here financially and emotionally. Don't go somewhere with no money, no resources, and no lifelines if you get caught up or things go (on the offchance, sadly) south.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Moving halfway across the country for the right guy was one of the best choices I have ever made. :heart:
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have done this twice. I have regretted this twice.