Over 200 New Year New Me Part 16

Options

Replies

• tiger12gal
    tiger12gal Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    check in for yesterday:
    Calories: right on
    Water:good but would like it to be higher.. I jsut dont like having to go to the bathroom all the time
    exersice... none

I registared my oldest son for kindergarten today.. so sad. I cant beleive he is already old enough to go to big boy school. :frown: I didnt realize that school was going to be so expensive.. the papers we got today totaled up to about $130... that doesnt count school uniforms either. ugh... The good thing is that they have an after school program that is only going to cost me $115 a month to where it would cost me $60 a WEEK for the daycare he is at now... but I am going to be spending more gas to be going to pick him up and stuff. here is a small possibility that I can get him dropped off at my job and then him just sit in our confrence room until I get off... but I will have to talk to the bus drivier that drops off here and I havent had any luck with that. Oh well I guess it is all apart of them growing up.

Its really hard to eat right when your husband buys boxes of klondike bars and snickers icecream bars... He has gone up 2 pants sizes in the last half of a year... but I think he needed to bc he was so skinny. Now he gripes that he is getting fat... ok well then stop eating from the time you enter the house until you go to bed:noway:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Okay so y'all have me wanting these outdoor running shoes now! I just text my cousins husband to ask if his store carries them! :laugh: I found 2 people who want to run the next 5k in June so we are going to try to start running trails together at night and on the weekends to train for it. I feel these might be a good investment! :bigsmile:
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Mari - so sorry to hear about what your are going through with your dad, don't forget to take care of yourself too!
    Mstahl - I hope your mother-in-law is feeling better soon,

I like this week's challenge of trying a group exercise somewhere ... of course I absolutely LOVE the classes that I go to at the YMCA. Since I already do several classes, I'm doing my own challenge this week (kind of fulfilling last week's challenge of trying something new - but it's more like trying something I've tried many times because I really want to do it - but my knees always have a hard time with it - jogging).
    I did Day 1 yesterday of the WW jogging program that I found in their magazine this month - which was walk 5 minutes, jog 1, repeat 4 times (and then I walked 15 more mintues). I couldn't believe how hard the 1 minutes of jogging were for me - especially when I do step aerobics 3-4 times a week, so I'm used to getting my heart rate up pretty high. Part of the problem may be that I have developed a touch of asthma, I was walking/jogging in a neighborhood with lots of new flowering trees and good spring stuff in the air - but not so good for my allergies. At the end of each minute of jogging I was wheezing - which I've never done before. I may have to call my doctor if it continues while I try this jogging program. Anyone else have asthma problems when jogging, what do you do?
    Oh, and next time: note to self: wear at least a workout bra if not any other workout clothes ... was not very fun jogging in a regular bra...:frown:
    I'm still struggling with food, I did really well all day with my planned out - higher protein snacks, but I didn't have a plan for evening and went way over on my calories (chips & dip ... (why did I buy it again?:grumble: ) and potato with too much butter and cheese). Today is another day, and I have a plan for tonight's meal, and my lunch and snacks - so will hopefully be a better food day.
    checking in for yesterday:
    calories: over by 750
    exercise: good - started a walk/jog program
    water: not so good, forgot my water jug in the car all day (yes - I could have gone out to get it ...:ohwell: )
    proud: that I started the walk/jog program instead of reading during my daughter's sax lesson like I usually do
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Istpaul- STOP BUYING THOSE CHIPS AND DIP!!!! Next time you reach for them at the grocery store remember me yelling at you...another way is to tell your kids and husband to not let you get them....you'll hate me now but love me later:wink: as for the potato with butter and such, I only use "I cant believe its not butter" spray or "parkay" they are 0 calories and taste just like butter, give it a try! (watch the soidum with it though
  • lstpaul
    Options
    Istpaul- STOP BUYING THOSE CHIPS AND DIP!!!! Next time you reach for them at the grocery store remember me yelling at you...another way is to tell your kids and husband to not let you get them....you'll hate me now but love me later:wink: as for the potato with butter and such, I only use "I cant believe its not butter" spray or "parkay" they are 0 calories and taste just like butter, give it a try! (watch the soidum with it though
    Cris, I KNEW you were going to chastise me! I know I deserve it! :blushing: :blushing: I bought the chips an dip on Sunday afternoon after I had worked out for 2 hours and hadn't eaten all day - not a good way to go to the grocery store, I knew it was a mistake (and I did actually think of you when I bought them), but I did it anyway ... :devil:
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Mstahl: I'm glad to hear your MIL is on the upswing.

Mari: I'm glad to hear your dad is well enough to be released from the hospital. I lived with an alcoholic for a while and it was tough, but I knew I couldn't do anything for him; he had to do it himself. With the love and support your mom, sister and you will give him, I'm sure he'll get the help he needs if he chooses to do so. Stay strong, we're here for you!

Jess: Yay on finding a few people who want to run the June 5k with you. That's awesome. I need to start training harder to be able to do the 8k in November that I want to do. I don't have anyone willing to do it with me, but that's okay. Unless of course you want to come to Minnesota for Thanksgiving and run with me!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Istpaul - I have asthma, but it's allergy induced, not exercise induced. Plus, since I stopped habitually smoking 2.5 years ago, I haven't really had any problems with it (except a couple months ago when I was having that whole hives/allergy situation related to a new blanket on my bed. :noway:).

Also, in reference to your knees (and your bra, actually :laugh:), what I've learned over the last week is that most runners are running incorrectly & that's why we're having so many problems with our joints and bones and muscles. It seems like a radical concept, but you may want to look into researching barefoot running. You don't really have to run *barefoot* to do it -- but it uses the same technique you'd use if you were running barefoot. It's much lower impact than our commercial ideas of running/jogging. Anyway, I'm continuing my research on the subject/technique and so far my very small amount of experience with actually running "barefoot" has been fantastic and I have nothing but good things to say about it.
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Cris, I KNEW you were going to chastise me! I know I deserve it! :blushing: :blushing: I bought the chips an dip on Sunday afternoon after I had worked out for 2 hours and hadn't eaten all day - not a good way to go to the grocery store, I knew it was a mistake (and I did actually think of you when I bought them), but I did it anyway ... :devil:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • raiderape
    raiderape Posts: 300
    Options
    Thanks for all of the welcomes! I have already enjoyed reading everything that everyone has to say.

Mstahl- Sorry to hear about your MIL. I hope she gets better soon!

MariSama44 - Sorry to hear about your dad. I will keep your family in my thoughts!

Cris - Hope you feel better soon! Being sick always sucks!

Bluenote- I think it is a great idea for a walking club. It is a great way to get to know more about people and exercise all at the same time.

I do have a question. I noticed that serveral of you are doing something called C25K, what is this? Hope everyone is doing well today.

Check In for 4/26/10
    Calories: Over by 207 :frown:
    Sodium : 1387 ( That is sooo much better than I have been doing)
    Exercise : 0
    Water 72 oz (I am sure that it was more but I stopped counting.) :laugh:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    So... flights to Minneapolis over Thanksgiving weekend start around $388... If only it wasn't such a family weekend!

LilSpy - I'm still having trouble walking - this must be like the time you tackled the stairs!!! I'm sooo sore in my lower legs!!! OUCH! (but loving it!)

1stPaul! I feel your pain! Remember that NYT article about how our bodies are programed to seek out calories after we work out! I think I told you guys this story when it happened, but a few months ago I went grocery shopping on my way home from work. I'd been walking that day at lunch and I'd been to the gym in the morning but I hadn't had much for lunch (no fat - just veggies and lean meat). By the time I got through the store I was crazy starving. I made it out to the parking lot and ripped into a bag of Granny Smith apples like a mad woman!:devil: :sick: :devil: I swear there must have been flecks of apple flying through the air and foam coming from my face - I devoured it! During the time I was shopping I only put good things into my cart. My self talking deal was that I would shop - go to the car and eat two apples and wait ten minutes. If I was still wanting chips and dip and ice cream and yeah... I would go back in and get them.:ohwell:

I can't say "NO" to myself but I can say "Not right NOW" and if I can get a delay... I'm usually OK. I do this at dinner too - eat half the sandwich and wait 15 minutes. Sometimes I go ahead and eat the other half but it works enough of the time that I think it's been a good 'trick'.:flowerforyou:

I avoided sushi, and had an apple and a tsp of peanut butter for lunch! Whoot! Then we walked for about an hour over a long route that had some decent hills! :smile:

Ken's mom is in a chair - I really want them to make her walk but the nurses don't have the time and Ken and his dad don't want to "hurt" her. See... I'm a little too much like my gym teacher mom. A little pain can be good for you! :indifferent: Seriously though - I know she needs to be up and moving or she'll have a super slim chance of really recovering! And I know the nurses are great but they won't do the extra if they don't have to because they're spread too thin. ARGH!!!! it's tough not being there today.:angry:
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Mstahl: I'm glad to hear your MIL is on the upswing.

Mari: I'm glad to hear your dad is well enough to be released from the hospital. I lived with an alcoholic for a while and it was tough, but I knew I couldn't do anything for him; he had to do it himself. With the love and support your mom, sister and you will give him, I'm sure he'll get the help he needs if he chooses to do so. Stay strong, we're here for you!

Jess: Yay on finding a few people who want to run the June 5k with you. That's awesome. I need to start training harder to be able to do the 8k in November that I want to do. I don't have anyone willing to do it with me, but that's okay. Unless of course you want to come to Minnesota for Thanksgiving and run with me!

You know I am crazy enough to do something like that! :laugh: And my roommate went to school in Minneapolis and her college roommate is pretty big into running...I think! Maybe I should get you in contact with her. I think she lives in Lino Lakes..is that a city? Sounds right!
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Thanks for all of the welcomes! I have already enjoyed reading everything that everyone has to say.

Mstahl- Sorry to hear about your MIL. I hope she gets better soon!

MariSama44 - Sorry to hear about your dad. I will keep your family in my thoughts!

Cris - Hope you feel better soon! Being sick always sucks!

Bluenote- I think it is a great idea for a walking club. It is a great way to get to know more about people and exercise all at the same time.

I do have a question. I noticed that serveral of you are doing something called C25K, what is this? Hope everyone is doing well today.

Check In for 4/26/10
    Calories: Over by 207 :frown:
    Sodium : 1387 ( That is sooo much better than I have been doing)
    Exercise : 0
    Water 72 oz (I am sure that it was more but I stopped counting.) :laugh:

It's a program designed to help ease you into running. Essentially at the end of 9 weeks you should be able to run/jog a 5k. It's pretty awesome. I wasn't a runner and am on week 6 and I absoultely LOVE it! It's all about baby steps.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Here's the link. You should definitely check it out!
  • lstpaul
    Options
    Littlespy: I will have to check out the barefoot running techniques ... I had never heard of it until I saw you chatting about it here.

Mstahl: I know that a lot of my issues with food control have to do with my raging hunger after working out. You are a lot stronger than me to be able to dive into a bag of apples instead of chips... but I'm working on it. I really like your idea of 'not right now', I know if I could slow down and maybe have a bite and wait and see if that takes care of my hunger I wouldn't go so overboard. I know a lot of the time when I'm starving and then stuff myself I don't feel well ... I think if I had stopped and waited a bit in the middle or even beginning of eating I would have been satisfied. I will really, really try the 'not right now' approach.
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    mstahl: I love that you even looked at flights. The Gobble Gait 8k occurs early in the morning on Thanksgiving before anyone eats their turkey dinners. I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but wasn't serious about it until this year.

Jess: Lino Lakes is super close to where I live and work! So, yes, it is a city!
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    lstpaul: If you're concerned about diving into a bag of chips, at least make a baby step of a wiser option and go with Baked Lays or flavored rice cakes. I LOVE Quaker mini rice cakes in caramel corn flavor! Yum! The cheddar cheese ones are good and taste quite a bit like a Cheeto!
  • KDubMommy
    KDubMommy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Jess - I am totally going to check out that running site C25k....i am totally not a runner but like the idea of doing a 5K. When is the 5K in June? Where are you actually located?

Mstahl - why did you avoid sushi? I am actually craving sushi myself right now like CRAZY...i didn't think sushi was that bad for you...

All this talk about food is making me hungry! I have only had 265 of my 1200 calories so far today & my lunch period starts in about 15 minutes...I am actually going to run to the store to get a fresh made sandwich...I was talking to my son's nanny about how to eat right & saying that a deli sandwich usually lasts me 2 days for lunch & stuff & then I decided i absolutely had to have that sandwich. :-)

:bigsmile: off for lunch :-) I will be good!
  • HonestOmnivore
    Options
    OH! It's even cheaper if you fly into MN on Tuesday and out Thanksgiving afternoon! More like $307 :wink:

We'll have to find some event in St. Louis - it's usually a cheap city to fly too (SouthWest goes there) and it's pretty central in the country - and we can all meet BlueNote :bigsmile: :heart: :smooched:

I'm hoping to get to the gym tonight after I stop at the hospital! I'd like to get in W7D1 of the 5K101 (very much like the C25K but 8 weeks) My lower legs hurt so much I'm hoping they loosen up some once I get moving! It will be three 12 minute jogs today :ohwell: Tomorrow AM I have that spinning class again. I'm not sure if I can show my face there... but I'll probably do it! Maybe my mom is right and I really DON'T have any shame?:tongue:

KDubMommy - I avoid sushi because I have problems saying know [edited to point out that it seems I can't even TYPE "NO" to sushi LOL!] to "crunchy" rolls - that have fried things in them. I mean I had no IDEA that some sushi places will DEEP FRY a sushi roll! That's sooo wrong and so freaking yummy! I love sashimi (just the raw fish - no rice) but I end up getting a couple rolls then there's the spider roll with a soft-shelled crab OMG so good!:love: It's that warm crunchy crab with cool rice and sauce and OMG drooooool!!!! No no sushi for me! At least not often. Friday we did OK - got sashimi, an Alaska roll and a spider roll and split it two ways - not too bad.

Some places have brown sticky rice with their sushi - so that's not too bad! Really, as long as you don't get fried stuff in it the only bad part is the white rice! And sodium filled soy sauce... and well... drooooolllll....
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Well, my plans changed a bit, as I didn't get to take a lunch break today. My coworker, who covers the phones when I'm on break, and my boss went into a meeting right at my normal lunch time and didn't come out until a few minutes ago. Considering I leave work in an hour and a half and will be eating dinner shortly after I leave work, I decided it would be dumb to eat now. I did eat my snacks and got myself another bottle of water, but it's a bit frustrating!

I could be more understanding if I took lunch at a different time each day or they had the meeting scheduled ahead of time so I could plan around it, but nope, not the case. Then, no one seemed to notice that I hadn't taken lunch or care. If they only knew how much thoughts goes into what I eat and when I eat it...

KDub: A fresh made sandwich from the deli sounds delicious! I'm having Subway for dinner tonight and am looking forward to it!
  • HonestOmnivore
    Options
    You know what sounds even better than Subway? A spider roll.

just sayin...

*goes looking for an apple*
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    mmm....now I want sushi!! :happy: