Don't eat proteins and carbs in the same meal?

Options

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    They Hay Diet was developed in the 1920's. It was one of several food-combining diets. These have been the subject of one peer-reviewed randomized clinical trial, which found no benefit from the diet in terms of weight loss.

"In summary at identical energy intake and similar substrate composition, the dissociated (or 'food combining') diet did not bring any additional loss in weight and body fat."

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10805507
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If my memory serves me correctly, separating carbs from protein in eating, was for those who couldn't cope with digesting carbs and proteins at the same time. This style of eating can really help some people a lot.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The majority of the people here as harsh as it may sound are right. I've lost over 100 pounds and am now maintaining between 7-10g%bf it really is about balance ! The right amount of calorie,the right type of calories consumed, not all calories are created equal, you need to watch and keep up steady on a consistent change of eating habits,it's a lifestyle change, & I agree I vary up and down up to 4 pounds alone due to water retention or dehydration, you need to stop diet hopping and learn more about nutrition as a whole,combined with cardio you should lose weight.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    Most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
  • eddierichardson73
    eddierichardson73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you try something and it works for you I say stick with it. It is like exercise equipments. There are many different kinds but not one works for everyone. So you have to find the one that works for you. I say if you are exercise regular and burning a lot of calories 1800 calories might not be enough. If you don't take in enough calories your body will go in to starvation mode and it might be just as easy as adding some calorie intake to boost your body. But as I said at the end of the day if it works for you stick with it!
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I say if it works for you--power to ya! :smile:
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are trying to be mean, I just think they are saying that it's about calories in/ calories out. Eat 3500 calorie less per week and you will lose one pound. It doesn't matter what food combinations or diets you choose. Whatever you do to lose weight, try to make it a life long way of eating...not a diet. Best of luck to you!
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Maybe because you keep defending the OP and by proxy are perpetuating the food combining myth? Whatever, I'm off to Dennys for a Bacon Sundae.

What "food combining myth"? If someone wants to combine their food, why do you care? The OP didn't ask anyone else to do it.

You're totally missing the point, but that's fine.
  • GoldenBalls90
    GoldenBalls90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my opinion this diet makes a mountain out of a mole hill.. To much hassle.. However having said that, If it works for you and your getting enough calories (Not starving yourself). Stick with it! Better to be doing this than eating like a slob! :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In to read in the morning.

^this
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Since when did maintaining a calorie deficit become obsolete. Oh thats right, a calorie deficit requires sacrifice and will power, not magic and the hopes of losing tons of weight in a month or two with some "special" diet.

What's really interesting about this is that the these diets always seem so much more complicated and harder to do than just trying to eat at a calorie deficit. They're always more restrictive about what one can eat and harder to keep up with. With all the time and energy devoted to trying to follow a fad diet, you'd think they could just watch calories.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    TracyG - I have never heard of the diet but I have heard of "food combining". I read the first page of comments & thought "wow, such negativity & sarcasm". I didn't even read any more of the comments because I was getting irritated so I can just imagine how you feel. You came here with a simple question & got slammed. I'm sorry for that! If this is working for you - yea. I am just trying to eat foods that will meet my nutrient & caloric needs & trying to eat as clean as possible. Continue with what works for you & just read as much as you can about the diet & its pros & cons. Best of luck to you on your journey!!
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    Since when did maintaining a calorie deficit become obsolete. Oh thats right, a calorie deficit requires sacrifice and will power, not magic and the hopes of losing tons of weight in a month or two with some "special" diet.

What's really interesting about this is that the these diets always seem so much more complicated and harder to do than just trying to eat at a calorie deficit. They're always more restrictive about what one can eat and harder to keep up with. With all the time and energy devoted to trying to follow a fad diet, you'd think they could just watch calories.

Seriously, did any of you even read anything I have said? I have a calorie deficit.... how much lower do you all want it to be? 500? I exercise... how much more do you all want me to exercise? All day? I am not restricting what I eat.... just how I eat it. If I want an all protein meal... I will eat an all protein meal. If I want an all carb meal... I will eat an all carb meal. I find that it is easier to digest my food when I DON'T combine the two. So sorry that this thread has created so many "experts" that aren't happy unless they bash someone for not eating the way they do. I NEVER said that ANYONE should eat this way. All I wanted to know is if anyone else had tried it. I do appreciate the non-negative advice that has been given but it honestly is nothing I haven't tried before. I haven't been on a "fad" diet in at least 10 years, if not more. I don't consider this new way of eating for me a "fad". I am hoping for it to be a permanent change to my eating habits. I am in no way depriving my body of anything. So far my stomach has thanked me and the food doesn't just sit there like I ate a lead brick, which is how I feel if I combine protein and carbs. Oh and when I say carbs it is referring to starches and sugars. The other carbs can and will be eaten with protein, as well as the starches and sugars.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    This cattle farmer thought the "Hay" diet meant eating like a cow.

scarecrow-meme-hay_zpsef7f88f9.jpg
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    They Hay Diet was developed in the 1920's. It was one of several food-combining diets. These have been the subject of one peer-reviewed randomized clinical trial, which found no benefit from the diet in terms of weight loss.

"In summary at identical energy intake and similar substrate composition, the dissociated (or 'food combining') diet did not bring any additional loss in weight and body fat."

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10805507

QFT!!! /thread
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This cattle farmer thought the "Hay" diet meant eating like a cow.

scarecrow-meme-hay_zpsef7f88f9.jpg

XD Yeah, I'm from Indiana, so at first read I thought it was eating like, fibrous veggies only. lol
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What if a food item contains carbs and protein - like most fruit and vegetables do?

Or her....not only cereal and milk that she mentioned she had together (which combines protein and carbs). But even just milk itself. GASP.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Wow! Are snarky comments or what! If your happy doing this then do it, I'm not going to knock your diet choice because it's not the same as mine. If it works for you stick with it x

It's nice to see someone being supportive.

It seems like everyone eles is attacking this lady for asking a question.

I thought the forms we suppose to be supportive and helpful, but some people are so rude.

To the original poster: do what works for you. Best of luck!
  • MarcPower
    MarcPower Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    And most of all, I KNOW my body and if I eat over 1800 calories a day... I gain weight. I have had my thyroid checked, it is fine. Not every body is the same regardless of what others think. I have a very slow metabolism but I am trying to boost it by doing strength training not just cardio, which I do also.
    First of all, I'm glad that you are reaching out. I understand how seemingly unsuccessful weight loss can lead people to look for alternative strategies to lose weight faster. However, the fact of the matter is this: losing weight is simple. You need to burn more calories than you consume. That is it.

I said it was simple...but it is not easy. When you've lived your life eating poorly, it is hard to give up habits. Don't punish yourself with strict rules about when you can eat certain types of food. Don't punish your body by under-nourishing it. It appears that you've been doing that for a long time. Try to get a real number for your metabolic burn and try to live by it.

Before people can change their bodies, they often have to change the way they think about food and the way they think about weight loss. Look at your relationship with food. Is it a crutch when you are sad? Is it something that is a reward when you have success? Do you eat when you are bored? If so, ask yourself why. If you can change the relationship that you have with food to see it is as a form of sustenance like water or air rather than seeing it emotionally, then you can make a long-term change to the way you eat.

Long term weight loss and maintenance happens a pound or two at a time. It is important not to see weight loss as the be all and end all because, in reality, it is your health that is the be all and end all. Some people become devastated when the scale doesn't have a number that they want while losing weight. It often leads to binging and wild swings up and down.

Just keep consistent in your eating. Be honest with yourself with what you are eating and how much you are eating. Track both good days and bad ones.

This is a long term process that isn't about quick fixes like not combining foods. You will lose weight if you eat in a balanced way and keep your body moving. It isn't glamorous and the weight doesn't just fall off but, trust me, it is a lot easier to keep the weight off if you are eating in a sustainable and balanced way.