How many calories do you eat a day?

Options
I was just wondering how many calories people eat a day? I am eating 1100 at the moment, and lost 2.5lbs last week doing no exercise as was too busy with work. MFP states that Im eating too less a calories, but Im finding that Im eating enough to satisfy my hunger without snacking on loads of bad things. :)

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'd still bump it up a little regardless of how you feel.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I net around 1200 a day. I don't consider it a magic number, though, and am just as happy to net 1100 as 1300 or 1400. It's still a deficit, and if I feel good, that's probably a good sign. You're not exercising, so it's probably an okay number. I'm super short, so if you're not very short, you might consider adding in a couple hundred calories. A few inches of extra height increases your maintenance needs by more than you might think. :)
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Im only 5ft 3". I take it this subject has come up a few times in the past. Im new to all this, only my second week, and was quite impressed with the weight loss and the amount of energy I still had come the end of the day. Im starting to incorporate exercise this week, so will probably add a few more hundred calories. Do you stick to that 7 days a week, or allow yourself one day off a week? :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    1900 calories.
  • lmfaulkner9
    Options
    Its only 100 more but I would go up to 1200.

I eat about 1500 a day (more on the weekends usually). I would be starving on 1100 per day!!!!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Last week I averaged 2066 calories per day, and netted 1568 DYSLEXIA EDIT: no, 1658. And my personal list of "bad things" I absolutely will not allow myself to snack on includes ground glass, barbed wire, and nuclear waste. Oh, and Brussels sprouts.

[Edit to fix number mix up!]
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I eat 3,500 each day.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Im only 5ft 3". I take it this subject has come up a few times in the past. Im new to all this, only my second week, and was quite impressed with the weight loss and the amount of energy I still had come the end of the day. Im starting to incorporate exercise this week, so will probably add a few more hundred calories. Do you stick to that 7 days a week, or allow yourself one day off a week? :)

I'm 5'2", and I aim for 1400 net calories a day. Some days it's 1100 or 1200, some days it's 1500 or 1600.
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I might see how I do this week on 1100 and exercising. I tend to have a high protein dinner after exercising. With this app it actually amazing how much you can eat for 1100 calories, and how much crap some foods have in them. Love seeing the carbs, protein, sodium etc levels.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    1800-2200 before exercise. NET 1500 ish. I'm 5'7", btw.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat 3,500 each day.

Yes, but you're not on MFP to lose weight, silly. :laugh:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4. I eat 1600-1800 a day with exercise.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Between 2000-3000 on a normal eating day (six days a week, volume depending on exercise) On my weekly cheat day anywhere from 4000-6000.

Oh, and I'm 6'3 and currently weight 286. When I first got on MFP it was about 305. My max, about a month before that, was 320 or so.
  • melissajanderson
    melissajanderson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On a normal day I eat anywhere for 700 to 1000 calories and day...... If you are eating good food thats still a ton of food.......I lose 1 to 2 pounds a week depending on the week......
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I thought I was eating 1200 calories (I don't make it a point to eat back my exercise calories, but sometimes I do eat some back) until I saw a post on including the oil you cook with. It never really dawned on me (yet it's so obvious), because of that I'm taking in about 1300-1400 calories a day plus exercise (cardio and strength, both at home) 6 - 7 times a week (because you never know if something will come up and you won't be able to work out the following day!). I'm 5'7".
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Just make sure that if you start exercising more, you eat back at least some of those calories. Exercise shouldn't make you so exhausted that you want to drop. If it does you probably aren't eating enough.

keep experimenting and settle on whatever works for you. All of us are different.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1600 calories per day depedning on how I feel.
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    usually minimum 4,000 up to 4,500
  • acloern1985
    acloern1985 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been losing roughly a pound a week eating 1600-1800 calories before exercise, just a few days ago I bumped my calories up to 2000 before exercise and plan to net 1500 calories 5 days a week after exercise.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1800 but I'm lucky if I get 1600.