How many calories do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 1200 every single day. If I were going to have and 1100 one day I would give myself 1300 another day that week. Eat clean and eat if you are hungry.
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think bad food can be whatever you want it to be.....Im not one of those people who completely ban carbs or takeaways. I eat healthy clean food 99% of the time, and thats my choice
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    2450-2650 total. I net around 1900 or so. I can't imagine eating that little! I would be miserable to be around!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    You know your body better than anyone else. What might work for one person, won't work for you.
    It all basically comes down to if you want to lose weight, then eat less and exercise more. If you want to maintain it, just do what you've been doing. If you want to gain weight, eat more, and don't exercise.
    Another important thing to remember is the type of foods you eat. If you eat junk food all day, your calories will add up really quickly. But if you choose healthy foods, you can eat a lot more, be full and still be low on your calorie count.
    I'm eating about 900-1100 calories a day and I feel full all day, because I eat mostly friuts, veggies and whole grains. It's what I found that work for me. You find what works for you and don't listen to what others say or do.
    Good luck! :)

I don't eat that low, but I'm also over 200lbs. I find that if I'm eating clean, whole food.. even though I include meat and fats I STILL struggle to get to 1600 calories/day. My BMR is 17-and change so I really hope I'm not eating too little. I certainly FEEL full, and honest to goodness I sometimes eat a spoonful of coconut oil to raise my calories. I must have been eating A MILLION before with the junk food I was consuming. This site is really eye opening. I didn't even think I ate badly "that often" before. Ugh.
  • alexisshanel
    Options
    about 1000 calories a day
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    1650 calories a day. I have dropped 6 pounds so far this month. I am 5'2" age 46 menopausal female with Bradycardia (Slow Heart Rate) (My pic is of my father whom is in the hospital). Calories include protein shakes, carbs, dairy, bread, red meat, veggies, little fruit, fast food and alcohol. And right now only light walking for exercie with living at work and the hospital.

To the OP you NEED more than 1,100 calories especially if you are going to add exercise it will help your weightloss NOT hurt.
  • everythings_rosie
    Options
    I might see how I do this week on 1100 and exercising. I tend to have a high protein dinner after exercising. With this app it actually amazing how much you can eat for 1100 calories, and how much crap some foods have in them. Love seeing the carbs, protein, sodium etc levels.

this looks like you are looking for somebody telling you its ok to eat 1100
    so ill tell you: go ahead, eat 1100 if you want to, but excuse me while i continue to eat 2100 for healthy weight loss

Not asking for permission to eat this many calories thank you.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I usually workout about 45-81 minutes a day. 7 days a week. I don't look at eating my calories back. Instead if it says 1200 is my goal at the beginning of the day before I work out then I eat about 150-200 calories over that so it would put me at around 1350-1450 somewhere around there that I try to eat for the day. That way I'm not hungry still am getting nutrition in me and am not completely eating back all of my hard work.
  • everythings_rosie
    Options
    You know your body better than anyone else. What might work for one person, won't work for you.
    It all basically comes down to if you want to lose weight, then eat less and exercise more. If you want to maintain it, just do what you've been doing. If you want to gain weight, eat more, and don't exercise.
    Another important thing to remember is the type of foods you eat. If you eat junk food all day, your calories will add up really quickly. But if you choose healthy foods, you can eat a lot more, be full and still be low on your calorie count.
    I'm eating about 900-1100 calories a day and I feel full all day, because I eat mostly friuts, veggies and whole grains. It's what I found that work for me. You find what works for you and don't listen to what others say or do.
    Good luck! :)

Thank you! :)
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500-2000 cals per day and I'm only 5'2" and I lose ~1.7 lbs/week on average
  • MissMeg95
    Options
    5'2", 140lb eating 1650+/- 50. Any less and I just get grumpy, but then again I walk to sixth form and back every day, plus have some other form of physical activity (bodyweight workout, cardio). Means I lose 1-1.5lb a week on average, except if I fall off track for a couple of days. :P
  • everythings_rosie
    Options
    Blimey.....didnt mean to start a debate! Anyone know what the best site is to find out my TDEE? Only just found out what this is lol

I use this for a BMR calculator:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once you have your BMR, multiply it by 1.2 to get your TDEE for a day where you aren't really active. You would then add exercise calories on top of that.

OK so apparently my TDEE is 1601. So this is the amount of calories I burn a day not being active?? Sorry being thick
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    1600 is my net goal. I can do up to 3000 on a heavier exercise day.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1290 (5'10" tall, 149 lbs, 40 years old, sedentary), which is what MFP sets my calories at for losing 1lb a week.

But, I expect that will change once my Bodymedia armband arrives. I'll be adjusting my caloric goals based on the information that the armband provides.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    1550 net is my goal right now. I usually end up around 1400-1500 with a few lower days here and there. I have a once a week "maintenance" day where I aim to eat as close to my maintenance calories as possible.

I'm probably never going to set my calorie goal any lower than 1400-1500. That's my sweet spot.
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    Usually just over 1000 calories. I could care less what people say (especially on these boards) about being under 1200. I'm not dead, never get sick, never get injured, lost weight, gaining muscle.

Do whatever works for you.

Your profile says that your goal is to look good naked. I'm not sure how you can accomplish that by damaging your hormones and internal organs. Have you considered lifting weights for body recomp instead? Just trying to help. (BTW, you aren't gaining muscle in a calorie deficit. It's not possible.)

I love these scientific responses that tell me what I'm doing is impossible, even though I've been doing it since October 2012.

I realize you're not trying to be rude, but still; you have no idea what you're talking about other than hearsay you've probably seen either online or from some blog, tv show, who knows what.

Gaining muscle on a deficit is NOT, repeat, NOT impossible. It's just harder; far harder.

I'm not damaging ANY of my hormones or internal organs AT ALL. Matter of fact; the amount of time I've spent on my diet; if I was, I would probably be dead by now. Or sick constantly. I'm never sick, have no pains, have no loss in energy. Specific orgrans in danger during this time? Kidneys and Liver; neither of which I have an issue with.

I've increased my protein intake to above normal RDV to support my lean mass, and I do weight training every week; technically five times a week. Since mon/wed/fri I do a kettlebell HIIT program, and tues/thurs I do weight lifting with barbells and dumbells. (And even some kettlebell for windmills and sumos)

I take vitamins daily, which everyone should whether you work out, dont, are on a diet, or eating "normally". You should be taking one, because it's virtually impossible to hit all your RDV's without it. Fish oil is another specific supplement I take daily. I'm also cycling an AF inhibitor. (Supposed to lower cortisol production and help metabolize estrogen. Now taking THIS specifically may indeed be screwing up my hormones, but I haven't noticed any difference and will just finish the bottle and stop taking it. IF after taking it I notice a bad change, I'll wait to start the cycle again.)

My face isn't sunken in, my muscles aren't dwindling away; and the only thing I'm losing right now, is pretty much fat. (Yeah and some lean mass; but I'm anticipating it) In a few weeks I do actually plan on increasing my calories; but that's on my own accord. Not some website with a silly warning about dropping below 1200 calories because it thinks I can't do it. And I have indeed, seen my physician. I'm A-OK in his book.

Even with all that stuff I said aside; you should ALWAYS honor your own experiences. Did you do something, and it worked? Then screw what everyone else says, do it, cause it works for your physiology. The last thing you want to do is follow what some genius online says cause they "sound like they know what they're talking about" or because "They're totally ripped" and then fall on your face in failure.

(Whoa, that was long winded, sorry if it came off as rude, but I swear if another person tells me what I've already seen be successful over the course of months won't work, I'll blow a gasket)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    2600-2700, sometimes more..
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2200-2300-ish or so calories a day and have been slowly and steadily losing.

I'm 5'10" and eating at/around goal weight. Lifting 3/weekly and making healthier choices as far as food intake goes, but will not deprive myself.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    I am 5`8" and have set my weight loss goal to 1 lbs per week. I take in 1290 (recommended by MFP) and burn from 300 to 500 calories per day.