How many calories do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Another thing, sometimes it is the quality of the calories you eat. You can have 1500 calories in a fast food diet, and 1500 in a very healthy unprocessed diet, and the weight loss or gain will surely differ.

I know several people who show this to be completely incorrect.

The world is not black and white. It is true for me. It may not be true for you. I could get into some long speech about HFCS and such, but I really don't think it's necessary.

I think you're the one that was projecting onto others with your original post, not me. Your post was very obviously intended as a generalization, or you'd have used "quality of calories I eat" instead of "quality of calories you eat".

I was just pointing out that I know several people who eat 'badly' and yet are very fit, healthy, and successful at controlling their weight. So as a general statement, you are incorrect.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'd still bump it up a little regardless of how you feel.

I agree, simply because it's really difficult to get adequate nutrition at those numbers even though you may not be physically hungry. I eat between 1300-1500 per day and I eat back most of my exercise calories. I'm 5'6". If anyone is interested, I eat 20% below my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expediture) which I calculated on this site: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I've lost almost 20lbs eating this way in the past 3 months.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Another thing, sometimes it is the quality of the calories you eat. You can have 1500 calories in a fast food diet, and 1500 in a very healthy unprocessed diet, and the weight loss or gain will surely differ.

The world is not black and white. It is true for me. It may not be true for you. I could get into some long speech about HFCS and such, but I really don't think it's necessary.

It's really not necessary, because "calorie quality" (a term that has no definition, mind you) has nothing to do with weight loss or gain.
    Totally agree!!!
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    4000 minimum :D
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I think you're the one that was projecting onto others with your original post, not me. Your post was very obviously intended as a generalization, or you'd have used "quality of calories I eat" instead of "quality of calories you eat".

I was just pointing out that I know several people who eat 'badly' and yet are very fit, healthy, and successful at controlling their weight. So as a general statement, you are incorrect.

No, it was not meant as a generalization, that is simply how YOU took it. It is clear that you need to inflict yourself upon others. Carry on.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Im only 5ft 3". I take it this subject has come up a few times in the past. Im new to all this, only my second week, and was quite impressed with the weight loss and the amount of energy I still had come the end of the day. Im starting to incorporate exercise this week, so will probably add a few more hundred calories. Do you stick to that 7 days a week, or allow yourself one day off a week? :)

for now. the loss will slow down and you will be low on energy after a while. best to figure out your tdee and go from there. slower loss is more manageble and lifestyle changes for the longrun. good luck on your journey!!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    1750 to lose, 2000 to maintain, at 5'0" and 126 lbs with four days of moderate exercise a week.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'd still bump it up a little regardless of how you feel.

^^ I agree.

For the record, I'm losing nearly a pound a week while eating around 2000 calories a day, occasionally more, and doing no cardio (other than normal activities such as walking from my car to my desk at work.) I think it's better to find your true maintenance and cut slightly from that, so that are eating as much food as you can while still losing.

I also would bet a dime to a dollar that your definition of "bad food" is based on preconceived notions or dieting myths rather than facts.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No, it was not meant as a generalization, that is simply how YOU took it. It is clear that you need to inflict yourself upon others. Carry on.

Read your own post:

"You can have 1500 calories in a fast food diet, and 1500 in a very healthy unprocessed diet, and the weight loss or gain will surely differ. "

This is just nonsense. Sorry.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    About 1400-1500 and will bump up a bit soon when I get to goal weight.

I think you are eating too few calories. I think you could bump it up and still lose as you are now.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    On a normal day I eat anywhere for 700 to 1000 calories and day...... If you are eating good food thats still a ton of food.......I lose 1 to 2 pounds a week depending on the week......

not a good idea to broacast this in the forums, you may be flagged for the low intake
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Usually just over 1000 calories. I could care less what people say (especially on these boards) about being under 1200. I'm not dead, never get sick, never get injured, lost weight, gaining muscle.

Do whatever works for you.

Your profile says that your goal is to look good naked. I'm not sure how you can accomplish that by damaging your hormones and internal organs. Have you considered lifting weights for body recomp instead? Just trying to help. (BTW, you aren't gaining muscle in a calorie deficit. It's not possible.)
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 and am doing just fine! :)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I might see how I do this week on 1100 and exercising. I tend to have a high protein dinner after exercising. With this app it actually amazing how much you can eat for 1100 calories, and how much crap some foods have in them. Love seeing the carbs, protein, sodium etc levels.

this looks like you are looking for somebody telling you its ok to eat 1100
    so ill tell you: go ahead, eat 1100 if you want to, but excuse me while i continue to eat 2100 for healthy weight loss
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Blimey.....didnt mean to start a debate! Anyone know what the best site is to find out my TDEE? Only just found out what this is lol
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    It really is about your numbers. If you are comfortable with the 1100-1200 calories and are not hungry then that is what your body needs. Just make sure you try to hit the other numbers that help your body, such as protein, carbs, etc.

MFP initially set me at 1200 calories, but I had clicked on sedentary, when really (even with a desk job) I am not a sedentary person. When I kicked it up to the next activity level MFP set me to 1400 calories a day which is more satisfying, and I have been losing weight comfortably.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Blimey.....didnt mean to start a debate! Anyone know what the best site is to find out my TDEE? Only just found out what this is lol

I use this for a BMR calculator:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once you have your BMR, multiply it by 1.2 to get your TDEE for a day where you aren't really active. You would then add exercise calories on top of that.
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering how many calories people eat a day? I am eating 1100 at the moment, and lost 2.5lbs last week doing no exercise as was too busy with work. MFP states that Im eating too less a calories, but Im finding that Im eating enough to satisfy my hunger without snacking on loads of bad things. :)

I just went thru a discussion about this too. Apparently you need to eat much more. Doing some additional homework/research. I only did about 400 yesterday and I felt fine.....
  • Lexgirl28
    Lexgirl28 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You know your body better than anyone else. What might work for one person, won't work for you.
    It all basically comes down to if you want to lose weight, then eat less and exercise more. If you want to maintain it, just do what you've been doing. If you want to gain weight, eat more, and don't exercise.
    Another important thing to remember is the type of foods you eat. If you eat junk food all day, your calories will add up really quickly. But if you choose healthy foods, you can eat a lot more, be full and still be low on your calorie count.
    I'm eating about 900-1100 calories a day and I feel full all day, because I eat mostly friuts, veggies and whole grains. It's what I found that work for me. You find what works for you and don't listen to what others say or do.
    Good luck! :)
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My targets are 1200-1600 gross. depending on my work out and based on my TDEE. I don't always make it, sometimes I go over, it usually balances out in the end. Oh and I'm 4'11.