How many calories do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I eat as many as it takes to not be hungry. I eat a tiny mini meal every 2-3 hours.

On a normal day on my current diet I eat about 1200 a day. I have a set limit of 1500 calories a day.
    I have a reward system where, when I am close to bed time if I am at 900 calories or less, I can have 2 ice cream sandwiches (110 calories a piece).
    Right now I have a bad cold and I have a fever.
    I knew I was getting sick when yesterday I went to bed having only eaten 618 calories, and had no desire for an ice cream sandwich. Today im having to force *any* food down.

I say listen to your body, eat when you are hungry. And drink lots of zero calorie fluids. A lot of the time when I think im hungry, its really thirst.

Oh yeah, and I am 5 foot 6 inches
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    1500-1800 normally...1800-2200 during holidays.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    around 1600 - 1800
  • i eat 1700 on good days if bad day 2000 :) xx:sad:
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    When I didn't exercise I could go on that little, but chances are you are also losing muscle mass (which is what's burning the calories in the first place!). Especially now that you are starting to work out, eat more! Not more junk, of course. Lots of lean protein and veggies will pump up your metabolism (and give you energy for working out) and be very filling!
  • Hpgirl1890
    Hpgirl1890 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and max calorie intake is 1200 but I usually eat under 1200. I always bloated so I try not to eat as much. I incorporate 30 min cardio each day.
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Currently I am eating 800 calories a day on non active days and 1000-1200 on active days (eg. gym days which is about 4-5 days a week). And before you all jump on the not healthy to eat so few calories, I have been doing so for almost two years with doctor approval and supervisions. I'm not dead nor do I have any damage to my internal organs or anything people try and frighten you with. I am actually the healthiest I have been in years and have lost over 100lbs so far!

Way to go!! My poor doc has been bashed quite a bit today too.... Keep up the great work and thanks for the info.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I try to net anywhere between 1200-1600, depending on the amount of exercise I get.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    No less than BMR plus formal exercise.
    Have you been going up and down in weight, eating 1100 then "stop dieting" and gain it back? Do you have to cut more and more every time you try to lose weight? Have you been doing that for a long time?

I ask all this because I got sick of going up and down for the past 15 years despite always working out and trying to eat healthy. From 1200 to binge, gain lose gain lose gain and then could not lose on the system that used to work. I gave up dieting for 5 months and ate closer to TDEE (total expenditure) while doing strength and cardio. Now I've recovered my metabolism, put on muscle and maintain size at 2400 cal a day (with weight training and cardio). Now I'm primed to lose fat at 2000 cal a day (burning around 600 cal 5 days a week).

...not to mention the benefits to overall health energy and appearance.

"Eat more to weigh less" saved me from the downward spiral of low calorie dieting. All it does is deplete your ability to burn fat in the long run. No more Yo Yo dieting for me. The 2000 cal day is not a myth.

Good luck.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1,200 - 1,300 each day.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Between 1900 and 2100.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Typically 1300-1400 and I am still losing at this.
    For a while I stuck to 1200 but the weight dropped off quickly then it plateaued so I upped it to 1300 and it's started dropping off again nicely. Recently upped to 1390 now I have reached my initial goal weight so I have a slower loss to figure out my true goal weight as I'm still not 100% where I want to be.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    2000-2300 sometimes 2500 (usually once a week or so).
  • radicalrom
    Options
    That number will vary from person to person. I am 6 foot 5 " and my wife gets frustrated when I tell her that my goal calorie number is 1700 and hers is 1100.
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, currently 149 (I've lost 14 so far) I was eating 1440 a day (Monday-Friday) with 5 days of exercising, sometimes two X a day, I was losing half a pound a week, so I up'd my goal and recalibrated my new weight, so now I'm eating 1200 and still exercising like crazy. The last two week's I've lost 2+ pounds each week. Much better results with 1200. I get the "you are eating too few calories" a lot. Once you get to your goal, I will resume with 1440 calories a day. But I want to reach my goal and I've been at it since January 7. I'm not starving at all, I've switch to all veggies & protein (chicken or fish) and have cut out alcohol until I lost these last 5. Almost there!!!
    Huh. I started out losing a pound and a half a week, so I upped my calories to slow it down to half a pound a week. I consider that much better results!

Good for you hun, Keep it up
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    That number will vary from person to person. I am 6 foot 5 " and my wife gets frustrated when I tell her that my goal calorie number is 1700 and hers is 1100.

Are you both sedentary?
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Ballpark of 3000 (as a 6'2", 230lb, active male whose goal is to maintain, although I have lost a few pounds since starting).
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I just changed my daily goal to 2076 (which is my TDEE for sedentary) from 1590, and I plan to recoup my exercise calories. My long term goal is no longer weight loss, I plan to lose fat while gaining muscle at the same time. I lift weights 3-4 times a week now, combined with at least 3X30 min of cardio.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    On a normal day I eat anywhere for 700 to 1000 calories and day...... If you are eating good food thats still a ton of food.......I lose 1 to 2 pounds a week depending on the week......
    And your net last week was 190-500. This is not behavior to encourage in others.

Terrifying.