Online Dating, Yay or Nay

Replies

• kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Yay. Met my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years online.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Hmmm should I try opening an account or listing in multiple places rather than just one?

Also, what is the percentage of rape and death? Are we talking about lightening strike percentages here because I think I could live with that...

That's what I ended up doing just to cast a bigger net of people I was willing to meet.

Percentage of rape or death? I don't know I'm sorry... I've never heard of a horror story like that from online dating...
    But, I had a couple "bad" dates before I met my current boyfriend.
    But the "rules" I had were:
    -Stay in public places where people can see you for the first date.
    -Always have a friend check up on you mid-through any date to make sure you're okay.
    -Let someone know where you are, and when you'll expect to be back home so they can check on you, (to make sure you're still alive)
    Hope this helps!
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Online dating for men: Send out 10,000 letters. Get one response.

Online dating for women: Receive 10,000 letters. Respond to only hottest guys.

VERY TRUE! lol, that's why I dont like it. You respond to the 'cuter' guys because you can only go off of the physical attraction first. All the profiles say the same B.S no one really tells who they really are. You just have to learn when or if you meet them.

Online dating works for some, but not everyone. If you do it, set your expectations low....really low. I did it, and I felt like it was a complete waste of time and money. From a womens' perspective, I come across a lot guys who are looking for women online, but dont want to settle down or have a relationship. A lot of the men on it are not really serious ...well when you think about it, it's the same on line or in person, lol. I probably would never do it again. But some people have success....but like I said before, set your expectations low.. .VERY LOW.. and this way you won't be dissappointed if it doesn't work out. And if it does. well then, Good for you :)
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Yes online dating is just fine. Just don't marry them right away. :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Hmmm should I try opening an account or listing in multiple places rather than just one?

Also, what is the percentage of rape and death? Are we talking about lightening strike percentages here because I think I could live with that...
    The only thing I ever found on the free sites were men looking for booty calls.

That statement is online dating for the guys in a nutshell, pay site or otherwise.
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    That's what I ended up doing just to cast a bigger net of people I was willing to meet.

Percentage of rape or death? I don't know I'm sorry... I've never heard of a horror story like that from online dating...
    But, I had a couple "bad" dates before I met my current boyfriend.
    But the "rules" I had were:
    -Stay in public places where people can see you for the first date.
    -Always have a friend check up on you mid-through any date to make sure you're okay.
    -Let someone know where you are, and when you'll expect to be back home so they can check on you, (to make sure you're still alive)
    Hope this helps!

^This.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member

VERY TRUE! lol, that's why I dont like it. You respond to the 'cuter' guys because you can only go off of the physical attraction first. All the profiles say the same B.S no one really tells who they really are. You just have to learn when or if you meet them.

Online dating works for some, but not everyone. If you do it, set your expectations low....really low. I did it, and I felt like it was a complete waste of time and money. From a womens' perspective, I come across a lot guys who are looking for women online, but dont want to settle down or have a relationship. A lot of the men on it are not really serious ...well when you think about it, it's the same on line or in person, lol. I probably would never do it again. But some people have success....but like I said before, set your expectations low.. .VERY LOW.. and this way you won't be dissappointed if it doesn't work out. And if it does. well then, Good for you :)

Wow. Finally got a woman to admit all she does is go off of looks. Kudos for your honesty. I'm so sick of hearing, "blah blah blah personality and confidence." Now I just need advice on how to overcome this looks barrier you women make us pass through and I'll be good.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    I met my husband on eHarmony!

I think success in online dating depends a lot on how you define "success" and whether you're up front about what you're looking for. My advice would be:
    1. Get clear on what you want (dates, hookups, marriage, whatever)
    2. Find out what site is good for that in your area. I'd recommend eHarmony for someone looking for a serious relationship. OK Cupid can be good depending on where you are--in New York it was awesome. In my current area of California, it was all hookups, which was not my thing.
    3. Be honest about what you want in your profile. The dudes will weed themselves out. If you want marriage but you say "Oh, I'm just looking for someone to hang with and let's see where it goes," you are not going to get many guys who are serious about marriage.
    4. Be honest about everything else in your profile.
    5. Be safe (great suggestions in the thread already about this).

I agree with all this. You have to be very honest and very clear about what you want and are looking for. If you're not and just keep a very generic/vanilla description you won't find much and get frustrated. My GF and I met on Match.com and have been dating for about five-months now and are talking about moving in together maybe this summer; I could definitely see myself marrying this woman. On-line dating was the best thing I ever did.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member

Wow. Finally got a woman to admit all she does is go off of looks. Kudos for your honesty. I'm so sick of hearing, "blah blah blah personality and confidence." Now I just need advice on how to overcome this looks barrier you women make us pass through and I'll be good.

I hate to say this, but I've seen enough of your posts to tell you that you actually have the looks going for you but it's your attitude towards women that sucks and is totally unattractive. There is nothing wrong with admitting that an initial attraction to someone is important. Beyond that, yes personalities need to be compatible. Are you saying you would contact a woman based solely on her profile if you did not find her the least bit attractive? Come on.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    That's an interesting suggestion from your friend. I don't know if it matters what size you meet someone at. Every person is different. Regardless of what size you are when you meet someone, if you want a long term relationship you want to know they'll love you no matter what. But if you do want to start dating and aren't sure how to meet someone, here is the thing about online dating...

It offers you the opportunity to meet people with similar interests that you would not otherwise meet. As a geeky/nerdy girl in a rural area I had a hard time meeting guys I had anything in common with (because I don't want to talk about huntin' or fishin' or muddin', etc, lol)... So I tried online dating just to meet some new people. It's good for stuff like that. I'm glad I didn't have to be limited to the guys I normally met, you know, "in the real world".

One possible downside is that you never know who you're going to fall for, so make sure before going out with someone from online dating that you're okay with telling your grandkids you met Grandpa on the internet... although by then it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

You just have to be safe. I know many people personally who have used dating sites and I don't really know anyone that anything bad has happened to. You must always meet in public for the first time, in a safe place... maybe even the second or third time. I'm not denying that risks are there despite my having no experience with bad outcomes... I just don't know that they're any more likely to result from online dating than they are from dating, for example, that guy from work you don't know THAT well but talk to on lunch break. He could be crazy, you just don't know.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Im notorious for picking guys up at stores...
    Im notorious for picking guys up online...
    Im not notorious for keeping any of them...
  • B_Town154
    B_Town154 Posts: 13 Member
    I don't get what's so bad about a guy that finds you attractive at your goal weight.

You think just because he dates you when your chubby that makes him more genuine?

This.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,046 Member
    I say do it!!!! Why not!? Its another vehicle to meet people!! Just enjoy the experience.:bigsmile:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

I hate to say this, but I've seen enough of your posts to tell you that you actually have the looks going for you but it's your attitude towards women that sucks and is totally unattractive. There is nothing wrong with admitting that an initial attraction to someone is important. Beyond that, yes personalities need to be compatible. Are you saying you would contact a woman based solely on her profile if you did not find her the least bit attractive? Come on.

^This. I so agree.

I have to be reasonably attracted to a guy to date him. That's normal. But Ryan Gosling could walk through my door and if he had your attitude towards women, I'd throw him out. Bitterness, anger and resentment can make anyone ugly.
  • kxxooo
    kxxooo Posts: 434 Member
    My sister met her now husband through E-harmony here in Australia!
    Whatever works for you.
    Kx
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member

^This. I so agree.

I have to be reasonably attracted to a guy to date him. That's normal. But Ryan Gosling could walk through my door and if he had your attitude towards women, I'd throw him out. Bitterness, anger and resentment can make anyone ugly.

I'd say the general problem is women set an unreasonable level of attractiveness that is required. If you're over a certain weight you're done with most women. Period. Not cool. My attitudes are formed based off how I've been treated. If women dated a wider variety of guys I'd have no issue with them.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member

^This. I so agree.

I'd say the general problem is women set an unreasonable level of attractiveness that is required. If you're over a certain weight you're done with most women. Period. Not cool. My attitudes are formed based off how I've been treated. If women dated a wider variety of guys I'd have no issue with them.

Whoa Whoa Whoa... not as much as you think... I mean, maybe it's different in different places but I can't tell you how often I find these skinny and beautiful girls hanging off the arms of hairy, beer-guzzling guys with the belly to show for it. You must be looking in the right places, to be honest? I mean, one of my exes looks almost exactly like you... it's weird actually... And I have many a guy friend who have no problems finding women... I would show you pictures to prove it but that's sort of a violation of their privacy thing... I think... maybe?
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    I met my partner of over 5 years on lavalife.com as well as brother and sister in-law and my old neighbour and his wife. I would recommend online dating to anyone who doesn't have a lot of options to meet people. Just make sure you go in with a strong skin and not take rejections too personally. I went on numerous first dates only never to hear from the guy again and I just told myself he wasn't the right one. My partner met me when I was much heavier and has supported me throughout my weight loss journey. That's how I know he's a keeper.

Good luck with whatever journey you take.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    The fact of the matter is attraction is important... but what a woman is attracted to varies from person to person...

I have an affinity to gingerbeard men... but not always... just as other woman like chubby guys or fit guys or geeky guys (which I also love!) but the fact of the matter is attraction is necessary and honestly personality and confidence goes far.

I remember when I was going out all the time I never had issues getting dates. Now I don't go out EVER because of a few reasons, thus the attempting online dating. But it wasn't my hot bod for sure and I would go out with girls much prettier but it was my out-going and fun personality that got me the dates.

SOunds cocky but whatev. It's truth SON!!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

I'm sorry. I didn't realize we had met before? I definitely didn't realize I had treated you poorly in the past.

You are generalizing and that's the problem.

Listen, I get it. Dating is hard. People treat each other terribly. My ex used me, lied to me, cheated on me, asked me to take him back and then left me for another girl. It was the worst, but I learned a whole lot.

I may be more careful screening the next one, but I'm certainly not going to blame all men for his indiscretions. If I did that then the only person I would be hurting is myself.