another fat shaming post

Options

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I see it as sharing your accomplishment, not fat-shaming. If you get a promotion at work, some companies will post an announcement congratulating you. If you graduated college or university you may hang your diploma or degree. The intent is not to shame those who haven't accomplished such things. People get offended too easily.
  • herdthinner
    herdthinner Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I sometimes look at progress pics and think, "Ah, good for them," but am neither motivated nor offended by them. I know a woman who sees conspiracies against women *everywhere,* which is ultimately what led me to sever ties with her. It just got too bloody tedious.

I have a personal mandate not to post before and after pics. I just... don't want to.
  • sunnistef1
    Options
    I love the pics everyone posts!

I don't currently have any progress to show, but the people who have worked so hard, some for years, to attain a body that they are proud of and a story that will hopefully motivate others. I DO NOT think this is fat shaming. I think it is encouraging people to eat healthy and a chance to show off a little. When you have worked so hard at something and achieved so much you want to shout it from the rooftops!
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Uhm maybe someone already said this.

If so I apologise.

Being fat ISN'T good.

It's bad.

Nobody aspires to be fat.

I agree. I really don't get this modern trend of celebrating, justifying, and validating obesity. It's unhealthy and unattractive.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's a form of fat shaming or do you think it's motivating?
    Why do you post or dont post progress pictures?

I think they're motivating for the people who post them, possibly body shaming for people who don't have them, possibly triggering for people with eating disorders. So if they bother someone, the best thing to do is don't look, because it's your own progress, in a myriad of ways that a picture can't show, that really matters.

I don't post them, because I've never taken them. All of my pictures are meant to celebrate where I am at the moment that I take them. (Most of my pictures are actually for art projects, and I don't post those at all.)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It's not fat shaming. Someone posted those progress pics because they decided they didn't like something about themselves and made efforts to change it. I'm the same person now that I was 40lbs heavier, but that doesn't mean I'm not proud of the accomplishment I had. It's the same as someone posted before and after pics or anything (new dental work, a new dress, etc). People should aim to be healthier and better every day. It's the ones that stay staggnant that you have to worry about.
  • gailwbh
    gailwbh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What I look at most when I look at before and after photos is the look on the persons face. THAT's where the inspiration shines!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    Like yourself unconditionally. Hate the habits that got you fat. There's a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like it when you all get angry/aggressive. :wink:
    Anyways, if anyone sees this one, how do you feel about the fake before and after pics on tv?

I love those! I love how some people are clearly the same size one pic poking out their stomach and frowning and the next sucking it in arms akimbo and big grin, I could have this amazing transformation right now! The best are when it is clearly a different person in the before/ after.
  • sunnistef1
    Options
    I think pics should be posted. My insecurities about about my own fatness do not prevent me from celebrating with someone when they work so very hard and want to share their successes. . .very motivating. Even more motivating when it is someone I know, and I know how long they have struggled with weight and what the weight loss means to them!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Like yourself unconditionally. Hate the habits that got you fat. There's a difference.

Amen....and it applies to more than just your weight or how you look.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love before and afters of large women that get themselves down to like a size 4

I'm large, not like a size 12, that maybe large for someone, but not for me. I want to be size twelve.

So seeing someone go from 18, 20, 30, even 40 down to single digit sizes is VERY motivating! They can do it, why can't I?
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    (my computer crashed the first time I typed this out, so hopefully it wont this time)

Do you consider progress pics and before and after shots a form of fat shaming? I read a blog post about it on tumblr where the author was a heavy woman who hates the idea that the fat version of someone is not good enough for everybody. Most of the comments that agreed were from heavier people who say we should love ourselves no matter what size we are and that getting thin is a way to keep women weak and helpless (lol at weak and helpless). Another comment stated that she stopped posting progress pics because the best progress is what you cannot see. Do you agree?

Do you think it's a form of fat shaming or do you think it's motivating?

I completely disagree. Who do these fat people think they are? They can't define what is acceptable for someone to do with their own bodies. If a person chooses to lose weight they can and if they choose to take pictures of themselves they can do that too. If this makes these fat people feel self conscience about their own bodies than that is just tough. They need to get over it. Being obese is unhealthy and a person who managed to accomplish losing lots of weight has every right to be proud of it and post pictures. The after picture is better and the before picture is worse. I know I am much happier now that I am 25 pounds lighter. I have no intention of stopping and when I am done I will post pictures.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I don't post them, because nobody really cares.
    [/quote]
    I do.

I don;t comment on those threads because it feels a bit creepy to me to do so.

But I read them all. And find them VERY motivational.

For each person who has personal success - I am further reassured that success is possible. And pictures make their successes more real to me.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like it when you all get angry/aggressive. :wink:
    Anyways, if anyone sees this one, how do you feel about the fake before and after pics on tv?

Those, I dislike very much.
    Not cool
    Not realistic.

I want to see real results that I can actually get. :|
  • ItsAliciaMarie
    Options
    I don't see how it makes them weak and helpless when they were the ones that did that work for themselves. Pictures like that show that they are strong and able. I have NEVER seen any posts on a progress picture that has any comments about how big they were before. It always congratulates the person on their achievements and it helps motivate others. I don't see how it is fat shaming when this is a website to lose weight and get healthy. That is the main thing we are all here for, and unless people start to talk about the before picture more than the after picture, I see no problem with the progress pictures.
  • RandyD2012
    RandyD2012 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love looking at the pics, it is really motivating. As soon as I figure out how to do it I'll put mine on :-(
    One thing I won't do though is have my picture in my underwear. Those pics I could do with out hahahahaha!
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    For me it's inspiring and motivation to keep going. Any progress pics are great, as soon as I have a good amount of progress I'll post mine!
  • hammys_wifey
    hammys_wifey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Posting Progress pics for me is a form of motivation. When I was heavier over 290 pounds, I always knew I was incredibly heavy and I did not love myself, now that I am 128 pounds lighter, I am starting to feel good about myself, I do not think of myself as weak, the only problem now, is that I am becoming incredibly self conscious more, because of all the extra skin I have because of how I lost the weight, but for me seeing the before and after is incredibly encouraging!! : )
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    I don't think it is fat shaming at all.

If a person truly loves themselves, then they won't feel any shame to see pictures of others who have lost weight.

For those of us who are UNhappy with the way we are and are working to change, it is a huge motivation.

Coming from a person who used to weigh 350lbs, I was always unhappy and simply couldn't love myself at that size.

What I am saying is that if that blogger is truly happy with the way she is, her weight, her looks, her career then that is wonderful! I wish her all the best.. That shouldn't be she can dictate what should make the rest of us happy, by calling us "fat shamers".