another fat shaming post

Options

Replies

• Jalare
    Jalare Posts: 103
    Options
    In my opinion, it's always motivating and empowering to see before and after pics, especially of yourself. I'm proud of the work I've done. To accomplish such a thing is not weakness, but it shows the strength you have in yourself to strive for and accomplish such an amazing thing. I haven't reached my goal yet and I'm not sure I ever will. The realization is, this journey may never end for me. It's an ongoing fight and I'm finally okay with that. It would have been so easy for me to stay where I was, which I did for far too long in my life. That was my weakness!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fat acceptance movement people. If you are unhappy with your body and you work hard to make a body you're hapoy with, be proud and be loud about it. Anyone who thinks my feelings about me have anything to do with them can suck it.
  • MadMacMom0309
    MadMacMom0309 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love the pics everyone posts!

I don't currently have any progress to show, but the people who have worked so hard, some for years, to attain a body that they are proud of and a story that will hopefully motivate others. I DO NOT think this is fat shaming. I think it is encouraging people to eat healthy and a chance to show off a little. When you have worked so hard at something and achieved so much you want to shout it from the rooftops!

^This!

It is very inspirational for me to see other women who were like me (a lot to lose) and were able to achieve their goals.
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If a thin person becomes obese and then posts before and after pictures, would that be 'skinny shaming'? If I post before and after pics of myself, it's because I want to celebrate and share my change. It really has nothing to do with the size of who's looking on...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's a form of fat shaming or do you think it's motivating?
    Why do you post or dont post progress pictures?

I think for the most part they are not fat shaming. But if text including something like "I can't believe how awful I used to look" were included I can see how it might be taken that way.

Loving oneself at any size, is not the same as being satisfied with being fat. In fact, if one is obese and truly loves oneself, how could one not want to lose weight, considering all the disease that is associated with obesity?

Seeing someone share their weight loss success and inferring that as fat shaming could be a sign that one is not satisfied with their current weight, not matter how much they claim to love it.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as fat shaming at all. It's a celebration of achieving a hard-won goal.

If I could take progress pictures of my brain filling up with knowledge, I would.
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Seeing someone share their weight loss success and inferring that as fat shaming could be a sign that one is not satisfied with their current weight, not matter how much they claim to love it.

[/quote]

Yes!
  • PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    What I find interesting is, I've seen many progress pics of fat -> skinny, but I have never seen anyone proudly post a skinny -> fat progress pic.

"I've gained 30 pounds of fat in only 2 months, it was hard work, but I still want to gain 10 more pounds of fat!"
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The day I let someone else's success in something not related to me at all get me down or somehow make me feel bad about myself is the day the commies have won.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    ONE'S SUCCESS DOES NOT SHAME OTHERS UNLESS THEY PERSONALLY CHOOSE TO BE EMBARRASSED INSTEAD OF INSPIRED !!!!!!!!!!!

END OF DISCUSSION.

(yes I know I was "yelling in CAPS")
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I read a friend's blog about the psychology of weight loss. She basically stated that fear of change, fear of the unknown prevents many individuals from making necessary and healthy changes.

One way I faced that fear was to post my "before" pics. Posting my pics - you can check out my profile - pushed me past my comfort zone of "fat, dumb and happy". If I could muster up the courage to post my pics for the whole world to see and critique, I could muster the courage and strength to make some changes and put forth some effort to improve myself.

A healthy dose of self-worth may be necessary for some to be able to face fears without concern for what others think. And that reminds me of the wonderful quote by Eleanor Roosevelt, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." If the fact of someone posting their own pics causes you to feel shamed, perhaps you should not give yourself consent to feel that shame.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think that's absoute bull****. Someone lost weight, they were proud of it, and they posted a before and after of their accomplishment. Since when is a before picture fat shaming? The person didn't want to be fat anymore and did something about it. Plain and simple.

I agree that the best progress is what you CAN'T see (being able to break though those negative mental barriers that caused us to turn to food as comfort in the first place), but let's not act like physical progress is a moot point.

And since WHEN is getting thin synonymous with weak and helpless? Let me break it down:

Fat me = not even being able to climb a flight of stairs without being winded

Fit me = Being able to run 5 miles for some "light exercise"

Guess which version of myself I would classify as weak and helpless? Give me a f***ing break.

I think it's motivating, and I post my pics to help motivate others with the same goals. No better feeling then knowing you helped inspire someone take control of their life.

Just because being fat is "good enough" for her does NOT mean it's good enough for me.

Couldn't say it better myself. Amen girl.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I think its inspiring. I was all kinds of an awesome person 100 pounds ago...and I still am..just smaller :wink:
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think that it's motivating and it shows other people what you can acomplish and that it is possible for anyone. I believe that we should love ourselves no matter what size but with that being said I think we love ourselves even more when we are fit and healthy. By being healthy we show how much we care about ourselves.
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    ONE'S SUCCESS DOES NOT SHAME OTHERS UNLESS THEY PERSONALLY CHOOSE TO BE EMBARRASSED INSTEAD OF INSPIRED !!!!!!!!!!!

END OF DISCUSSION.

(yes I know I was "yelling in CAPS")

So loud! shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it'll all be okay.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Motivational. Before and after photos suggest the culmination of lots of hard work, effort, persistence I'm genuinely happy for the person who does this. It never fails that I cry when I see someone take a champions lap in the sport that I love--dog agility. I always think about all the love and teamwork that went into that victory. For my own part, my own dog never knows when she doesn't qualify. We celebrate just crossing the finish line together. I don't think less of anyone who doesn't own a championship; the fact that they are out there trying makes me happy. So it is with weight loss. Not everyone will have the same end result. But the fact that they are working hard earns my respect. You'll never win if you don't register for the show!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Well, if you really think about it, fat shaming could be the people who don't let themselves be photographed because they're too embarrassed about "how they look." I AM a photographer and for the majority of my life, I avoided the camera at all costs. Ripped up any film where I happened to show. Now, my kids are grown and there are NO PHOTOS of me, their mom. It's sad and stupid. That's the message that says "I'm not good enough to show." Showing before and after's is more personal: "I wasn't happy with MYSELF here and I am working to improve how I feel about myself." It doesn't say "embarrassed" to me, it says "I want to be the best me I can be and this is my progress so far." There are many ways we can improve, but It's just the physical one that is the easiest to show.
  • SallyaStewart11
    SallyaStewart11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY MOTIVATING! I see thin people everyday and have no idea if they have ever had to struggle with weight. My automatic assumption is that they have always been thin. So when I see success stories with thin people who were once my size, it gives me great inspiration that I can do it too! It's my favorite thing to do each day...go look for new success or progress stories!
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I prefer to view it as positive and motivational. Look, you can find evil in everything if you look hard enough.
  • piq0409
    piq0409 Posts: 8
    Options
    I hate my before pictures. Mostly becuase I feel I was not at all atractive when I was heavier. When I first started losing weight, it was primarily vanity based. I do not find overweight people attractive. I also do not find underweight people attractive.

As I started to lose weight, I have evolved. I still do not find over/under weight people attractive. But for different reasons. The fact of life is weight is one of those things that is directly related to your health. When I was overweight, I did not enjoy so many of the things I now find a lot of pleasure in. Everything from walking the dog, running around with my niece and nephew, riding a roller coaster, or buying clothes. None of that was as much fun as it is now that I am at a healthier weight. I hated being in pictures. Now I regret there are so many tangible memories that I'm not in. I am more fun to be around now that I am healthier.

I am excited that my blood presure has come down. I am excited that I am less likely to get so many number of illnesses. I know there isn't a guarantee I will never get sick. But I've improved my chances of a long healthy life. And I am proud of that. So now I do look at before. I am ashamed I allowed myself to be lazy and jeopardized my health and happiness. I am glad I made a changed.

I also do not believe people who remain at an unhealthy weight would choose to remain there if given a no work option not to be. I understand there are people who have real physical reasons they cannot do what I (and others here at this site) choose every day to do. I am not judging those people. But if people look at what I consider a positive change in my life as shaming them, I think they should look at why they consider it shame. If they are truely happy at the choices they make, then there should be no shame. My shame is my own. I am not asking anyone else to feel it. However, I am happy to talk with anyone who wants to make the changes I'm making.