McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• neeko_3
    neeko_3 Posts: 68
    Options
    Of course McDonalds McCrap is killing you. It's all high-calorie processed food. But you try to tell people this and they label you a conspiracy nut. It's frustrating but whatever.

This ^^^^^

This ^

Somehow I doubt you consider a 390-calorie meal with 30g of protein "high calorie."

I choose to eat quality calories. I prefer not to eat the processed, high sodium, high saturated stuff.
    i choose to eat what i want but in moderation. its whatever works and makes u happy

Yah, its not my place to tell people what to eat. Just saying i prefer the "clean" foods.
    u make alot of sense bro. what we eat is a lifestyle choice. none is better than the other unless its making the user unhealthy(overweight, diabetic, malnutrition, heart disease, etc)

I agree man
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    The thing is 'fast food' isn't just from mcdonalds, BK, wendys or any chain. its also at the grocery store!

serriously, i was wondering down the isles and the vast majority of things at the grocery store are prepackaged, pratially prepared convience food.

thats basically the same as fast food except you have to stick it in the microwave or oven first.

being lazy about meal preparation driven the industry to the point where obesity is built in.

Very true thats why I dont like when ppl single out fast food. I get 90% of my groceries on the outside isles. Dry beans I have to go into the den of "evil" jk jk but seriously, almost all food are processed in some way. Does it make them unhealthy? If abused, very. I have a frozen dinner maybe 2 times a week because I am very lazy. Are they unhealthy? No they are within my macros and provide sufficient nutrients and I add a veggie if I need more. Do I get the calories I want and need from eating clean? Nope. Would a McDonalds item help? Maybe Do I want to choose that option ? On the fence
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What a stupid stupid thread. It makes me so angry I just want to take my shirt off and have a bunch of pictures taken of me for my MFP profile.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    What a stupid stupid thread. It makes me so angry I just want to take my shirt off and have a bunch of pictures taken of me for my MFP profile.

*hands TheSink a camera*
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'm now to the point where I'm so amused I cannot stop laughing.

Not sure if that was the point of the thread but it cheered me up immensely.

I could go all day lol Its all semantics :laugh:

I am def not here to try to argue. I dont like being called full of BS is all. There is no way i could have achieved the look i have while eating fast food. It all just boils down to the individual and what goals they have :)

I know of an insanely ripped guy who lives on the road and DOES eat fast food on occasion. So actually, yes it is possible.

He's also a big fan of liquor, particularly Jack Daniels. :)

I thought my buddy Jack was clean! Aww man!
  • MrsG2
    MrsG2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm now to the point where I'm so amused I cannot stop laughing.

Not sure if that was the point of the thread but it cheered me up immensely.

this!
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Oh. lord. More alarmist bull****--and spectacularly bad arithmetic as well. Ignoring the fact that many of the ingredients are exactly what you'd reach for if you were making something like this from scratch at home (herbs, spices, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, etc.), the same items are counted separately every single time they show up--so 9 of the 121 ingredients, for example, are "salt." The wrap uses both cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, so basic cheese ingredients are counted twice--and McDonald's isn't doing anything weird to the cheese: the same mold-inhibitors and anti-caking ingredients are present in the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

Sure, ideally, we'd all be eating organic, locally-sourced, unprocessed foods so fresh that they don't need preservatives to be shipped around the country. We'd be making tortillas from scratch and distilling our own vinegar so we could control every step of our food production. But in truth, most of us don't. And most of these ingredients are in our pantries at home, so getting up in arms when seeing them in a fast-food wrap seems silly.

I disagree. When your GRILLED chicken has 30 ingredients, that's not equal to what I would use at home. I would use: Chicken breast, salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, olive oil.
    I would reduce that list by 25 items.
    Anti-caking in the cheese is only present if you buy pre-shredded cheese, which I don't.
    I think people are getting more up-in-arms about the fact that its parading as health food, when in fact, it's not. People are often confused by nutrition, and with all the different items and campaigns and marketing, it's easy to understand why.

"Grilled Chicken Fillet: (30 ingredients): Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor,
    sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.
    Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin,
    mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN."

Since when did cajun seasoning qualify as 1 ingredient? Better research that real quick I think your ingredients list just grew

Cajun seasoning = paprika. Thanks.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

...... Wut.

No.

... No.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Oh. lord. More alarmist bull****--and spectacularly bad arithmetic as well. Ignoring the fact that many of the ingredients are exactly what you'd reach for if you were making something like this from scratch at home (herbs, spices, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, etc.), the same items are counted separately every single time they show up--so 9 of the 121 ingredients, for example, are "salt." The wrap uses both cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, so basic cheese ingredients are counted twice--and McDonald's isn't doing anything weird to the cheese: the same mold-inhibitors and anti-caking ingredients are present in the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

Sure, ideally, we'd all be eating organic, locally-sourced, unprocessed foods so fresh that they don't need preservatives to be shipped around the country. We'd be making tortillas from scratch and distilling our own vinegar so we could control every step of our food production. But in truth, most of us don't. And most of these ingredients are in our pantries at home, so getting up in arms when seeing them in a fast-food wrap seems silly.

I disagree. When your GRILLED chicken has 30 ingredients, that's not equal to what I would use at home. I would use: Chicken breast, salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, olive oil.
    Anti-caking in the cheese is only present if you buy pre-shredded cheese, which I don't.
    I think people are getting more up-in-arms about the fact that its parading as health food, when in fact, it's not. People are often confused by nutrition, and with all the different items and campaigns and marketing, it's easy to understand why.

"Grilled Chicken Fillet: (30 ingredients): Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor,
    Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin,
    mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN."

Since when did cajun seasoning qualify as 1 ingredient? Better research that real quick I think your ingredients list just grew

nooooooo
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd do that, but the "ladies" would violate T&C.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

Paprika=Paprika
    Cajun Seasoning = a bunch of ingredients put together and called Cajun Seasoning.
    If you prefer your grilled chicken that bland thats your choice but you had me more interested when you were using Cajun seasoning
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I haven't had fast food since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in Oct '12. Well, aside from the occasional McDolands Fries. lol
    Since my diagnosis, I have also made a conscious decision not to get it as much as I used to for my kids. The more I learn about quick, healthier alternatives, the less I buy the stuff. Most times when we are in a hurry, I would rather them eat a quick bowl of cereal before we are out the door than to grab McDonalds.

I will be honest and say we used to eat out, which includes fast food, take out and sit down meals...at least 4 times a week. I would like to make it even less...but right now we are at about 1 time a week.

It is a choice. I don't blame these restaurants...if people knew better, they would choose better, and if they don't care then well, these fast food places are a business and they see a need. Shame on them for not making better quality food. I am not saying they need to serve healthy foods, but better quality would be nice. But it is my choice not to eat there.
    If you can't eat gluten how do you eat their fries? #1 they are not gluten free #2 even if the fries were they are cooked in shared fryer. But maybe it depends where your from, i just know around here they are not gluten free.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I haven't had fast food since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in Oct '12. Well, aside from the occasional McDolands Fries. lol
    Since my diagnosis, I have also made a conscious decision not to get it as much as I used to for my kids. The more I learn about quick, healthier alternatives, the less I buy the stuff. Most times when we are in a hurry, I would rather them eat a quick bowl of cereal before we are out the door than to grab McDonalds.

I will be honest and say we used to eat out, which includes fast food, take out and sit down meals...at least 4 times a week. I would like to make it even less...but right now we are at about 1 time a week.

It is a choice. I don't blame these restaurants...if people knew better, they would choose better, and if they don't care then well, these fast food places are a business and they see a need. Shame on them for not making better quality food. I am not saying they need to serve healthy foods, but better quality would be nice. But it is my choice not to eat there.
    If you can't eat gluten how do you eat their fries? #1 they are not gluten free #2 even if the fries were they are cooked in shared fryer. But maybe it depends where your from, i just know around here they are not gluten free.

I was kind of wondering the same thing HOWEVER not all places cook the fries in the same oil that they cook breaded chicken and the other fried stuff. My sister has celiacs and if she's thinking about getting fries she always asks about the oil they're fried in. If a place caters to gluten intolerance they make sure they do everything separate and again, not all places fry the stuff in the same frier. You just need to ask.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

nooooooo

cajun seasoning.....

spices and herbs including red pepper,thyme,salt,dehydrated vegetables (onion, green bell pepper, celery garlic),sugar,high oleic sunflower oil, citric acid,disodium inosinate and guanylate, ascorbic acid, natural flavour,spice extracts, calcium silicate
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    People seem to forget. Anything home cooked > Fast food. You don't NEED to buy the expensive lean beef, etc, regular mince will probably still work out healthier than fast food options.

I LOVE my McDonalds (though I haven't probably be in 2-3 months... but I pretty much cook all my meals) but I'm an adult, I choose how often I eat it, kids have no choice in the matter, and have no self control. If you offer a kid salad or fries, they're going to go for the fries. Sometime you just need to take those options away from them for their own good.

I'm curious if it really is that expensive to eat 'fresh' in the US, I'm going to have to check it out when I'm on holiday there. Bit worried I'm going to put on weight, everyone tells me the portions are huge over there and to always share with a friend.
    The comparison will depend on where you are, but yeah, the portions are big. I take about half of each restaurant meal home to eat later (asking for a box to take food home is common here).
    Not sure if taking half home with me will be much if an option still I'll be staying in hotels the whole time. I do it all the time here though, sometimes I even make myself stop half way that way I can have it two meals and make it last :laugh: . Do they have 'entree' dishes there? That was my plan since they're usually smaller portions.

I think many people use the "junk food is cheaper" argument as an EXCUSE for eating junk, because they're either love it or lazy to cook.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    It is BS...I just made the most amazing "junk" food in my microwave.

MaraNatha - All Natural Caramel Almond Spread, 2 Tbsp
    Generic - Great Value Yellow Popping Corn, 3 tbsp
    Green & Black's - Organic Dark 85% Cacao Bar , 6 pieces

Popped the corn in a covered bowl in microwave set to side when it was done. Put the other 2 ingredients in a little bowl heated it up stirred heated it up stirred. Took a few handfuls of popcorn put in a bowl, took a spoon drizzled it all over. Took a few handfuls of popcorn put it on top of that, drizzled more yummy on it. Did that until the popcorn and yummy was gone. Couldn't even eat it all only ate half will save the rest for later after dinner. 445 calories,46 carbs,26 fat,10 protein,45 sodium,and 8 fiber

Found my high calorie snack to get me to my calories. BUT if I would have bought this in a package at a fast food place or corner store it would be labeled as unhealthy and it is going to kill me..*shakes fist at big corporations*...rolls eyes.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options

nooooooo

cajun seasoning.....

spices and herbs including red pepper,thyme,salt,dehydrated vegetables (onion, green bell pepper, celery garlic),sugar,high oleic sunflower oil, citric acid,disodium inosinate and guanylate, ascorbic acid, natural flavour,spice extracts, calcium silicate

So sorry for not being incredibly detailed, but the 'cajun seasoning' that I use is simply paprika. Sorry to disappoint you super-corrective trolls.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

nooooooo

cajun seasoning.....

So sorry for not being incredibly detailed, but the 'cajun seasoning' that I use is simply paprika. Sorry to disappoint you super-corrective trolls.

What brand is it? I want to buy some and check it out. Because if you are paying more than 50 cents you are getting ripped off. You can get 2 for a dollar paprika...oh my bad I mean "cajun seasoning" from walmart or winn dixie.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Heh...paprika is paprika.

Here is my secret recipe for Cajun spice.

2 x Paprika
    1 x cayenne powder
    1 x white pepper
    1 x black pepper
    1 x dry mustard
    1 x thyme powder
    1/2 x onion powder
    1/2 x garlic powder
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    Heh...paprika is paprika.

Here is my secret recipe for Cajun spice.

2 x Paprika
    1 x cayenne powder
    1 x white pepper
    1 x black pepper
    1 x dry mustard
    1 x thyme powder
    1/2 x onion powder
    1/2 x garlic powder

Sounds yummy I need a new seasoning for my chicken. badia is getting old