McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like how when you say it aloud, it sounds like "Mc Crap".

That makes me laugh. I cannot believe the pronuncian got past marketing.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Heh...paprika is paprika.

Here is my secret recipe for Cajun spice.

2 x Paprika
    1 x cayenne powder
    1 x white pepper
    1 x black pepper
    1 x dry mustard
    1 x thyme powder
    1/2 x onion powder
    1/2 x garlic powder

Sounds yummy I need a new seasoning for my chicken. badia is getting old
    For chicken or fish, you'll never look back ;)
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Heh...paprika is paprika.

Here is my secret recipe for Cajun spice.

2 x Paprika
    1 x cayenne powder
    1 x white pepper
    1 x black pepper
    1 x dry mustard
    1 x thyme powder
    1/2 x onion powder
    1/2 x garlic powder

Sounds yummy I need a new seasoning for my chicken. badia is getting old
    For chicken or fish, you'll never look back ;)

Oh fish OMG I have some fish and shrimp in freezer I am so making this...as soon as I go to store and get all the ingredients :grumble:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like how when you say it aloud, it sounds like "Mc Crap".

That makes me laugh. I cannot believe the pronuncian got past marketing.
    I LOVE IT!!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Oh. lord. More alarmist bull****--and spectacularly bad arithmetic as well. Ignoring the fact that many of the ingredients are exactly what you'd reach for if you were making something like this from scratch at home (herbs, spices, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, etc.), the same items are counted separately every single time they show up--so 9 of the 121 ingredients, for example, are "salt." The wrap uses both cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, so basic cheese ingredients are counted twice--and McDonald's isn't doing anything weird to the cheese: the same mold-inhibitors and anti-caking ingredients are present in the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

Sure, ideally, we'd all be eating organic, locally-sourced, unprocessed foods so fresh that they don't need preservatives to be shipped around the country. We'd be making tortillas from scratch and distilling our own vinegar so we could control every step of our food production. But in truth, most of us don't. And most of these ingredients are in our pantries at home, so getting up in arms when seeing them in a fast-food wrap seems silly.

I disagree. When your GRILLED chicken has 30 ingredients, that's not equal to what I would use at home. I would use: Chicken breast, salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, olive oil.
    I would reduce that list by 25 items.
    Anti-caking in the cheese is only present if you buy pre-shredded cheese, which I don't.
    I think people are getting more up-in-arms about the fact that its parading as health food, when in fact, it's not. People are often confused by nutrition, and with all the different items and campaigns and marketing, it's easy to understand why.

"Grilled Chicken Fillet: (30 ingredients): Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor,
    sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.
    Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin,
    mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN."

Since when did cajun seasoning qualify as 1 ingredient? Better research that real quick I think your ingredients list just grew

Cajun seasoning = paprika. Thanks.
    nooooooo

cajun seasoning.....

spices and herbs including red pepper,thyme,salt,dehydrated vegetables (onion, green bell pepper, celery garlic),sugar,high oleic sunflower oil, citric acid,disodium inosinate and guanylate, ascorbic acid, natural flavour,spice extracts, calcium silicate

So sorry for not being incredibly detailed, but the 'cajun seasoning' that I use is simply paprika. Sorry to disappoint you super-corrective trolls.
    You're calling everyone who disagreed with you "trolls"? Time to look that word up. cheers
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you were to buy those same ingredients at the store(the wrap, ranch sauce, spring mix), they would most likely have the same ingredient list. The only thing that would be different is the chicken, depending on what cut you used.

Considering that, if you were to get it once or twice, would it kill you? No, probably not.

Even if you were to make it at home, it would be just as "processed" and "bad" for you. The only thing that would change is the amount of sodium, really.

that is blatantly untrue. there are many, many more whacked out ingredients in the McDs wrap/ranch/cheese/chicken than the foods you buy at the store. do you really want me to copy+paste the ingredients here and compare? better yet, do your own damn research.

Why so hostile?

Ranch dressing is going to have a long ingredient list, whether it's the NEWMAN'S OWN served at McDonald's or the NEWMAN'S OWN you buy at the grocery store. A tortilla is a tortilla. McDonald's magic tortilla making facility doesn't use flour made from ground up toxic waste. The ingredient list for the tortillas is the same as Mission.

And I'm pretty sure that the mixed greens aren't specially grown in polluted soils just for McDonald's. Have you ever seen a McDonald's owned farm? No because they don't exist. It wouldn't be cost effective. They buy their produce from major distributors.

The poster said the chicken is different. It's breaded and the breading and meat are loaded with sodium. Nobody is denying that.

You're so quick to hate fast food restaurants that you allow that hate and bias to cloud your judgment. I'm pretty sure you're a smart guy and recognize that bias influences rational thought.

How about this, divide up the calories in a McDonald's wrap. Compare them to the calories in the grocery store alternatives if you were to make it yourself? Are they that different? No. Why? Because they use the same things. And if you look at the long lists of ingredients in the tortilla, the dressing, etc., it will probably be the same length, with exceptions for the breaded chicken.
    Look at the post he was replying to. IT was hostile, and rude.

Um, how was my post hostile and rude? I was just stating the facts... I wasn't trying to argue.

Coach Reddy on the other hand, is still pissy from another debate he had with me where I proved him wrong and refused to believe his way is the only way to do things.

hahaha that's as rich as a piece of chocolate cake. keep on livin' in your fantasy world sweetheart. what was that thread again?
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    The only way to have the McWrap is grilled, no dressing, extra lettuce, tomatoes and add pickles.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Coach Reddy on the other hand, is still pissy from another debate he had with me where I proved him wrong and refused to believe his way is the only way to do things.

hahaha that's as rich as a piece of chocolate cake. keep on livin' in your fantasy world sweetheart. what was that thread again?

It was the thread where she called you a gigantic d-bag because you're a starving actor in NY with a picture of your shirtless scrawny body on MFP cutting everybody down for the choices they make in their own lives. You disagreed with her. But your profile and your needless 3,000+ posts proved you wrong.

You sure do know how to sweep a girl off her feet! :love: :blushing:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The only way to have the McWrap is grilled, no dressing, extra lettuce, tomatoes and add pickles.

I might have the crispy bacon one tomorrow. With dressing. And no pickles.
  • rdpage90
    rdpage90 Posts: 13
    Options
    people need to start taking responsibility for what they put into their own bodies. i am overweight, and its no one's fault but my own. i CHOSE to eat crappy. and with restaurants having their nutritional info available online, people have access to it. their ads might be misleading, but if people really think eating at mcdonalds is going to help them lose weight, then they are doomed from the get go.
    i always tell my friends who are trying to lose weight to look into things. ive made a list of the healthiest options for chain restaurants, and there is no reason they cannot do the same.
    it seems like the best places for healthier choices are subway (obviously) and taco bell. if you choose to eat fast food, you have to understand that it isnt going to be healthy....you have to put some effort into being healthy. if you want to eat things that are all-natural, then start cooking for yourself.

^THIS^ It's all about choices people. Eat McDonalds if you want to get fat. If you don't, don't eat it. simples!
  • AMKLIP
    AMKLIP Posts: 17
    Options
    How are they killing people if said people choose to eat there? That being said I had Mcdonalds for lunch the other day. Grilled bbq snack wrap and side salad. It was yummy.

Agreed! McDonald's is not forcing you to eat their food, it is a choice you make.
  • boonognog
    boonognog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 lbs eating whatever I want, including McDonald's. I make my own choices, and usually they are better choices, but I do occasionally eat some things that I don't want to comprise 100% of my diet.

I think that's what being an omnivore is all about. I exercise and I eat healthy 75 to 95% of the time. Seems to be working just fine for me.

And yes, I'm a big fan of the new McWrap. I love being an omnivore.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    people need to start taking responsibility for what they put into their own bodies. i am overweight, and its no one's fault but my own. i CHOSE to eat crappy. and with restaurants having their nutritional info available online, people have access to it. their ads might be misleading, but if people really think eating at mcdonalds is going to help them lose weight, then they are doomed from the get go.
    i always tell my friends who are trying to lose weight to look into things. ive made a list of the healthiest options for chain restaurants, and there is no reason they cannot do the same.
    it seems like the best places for healthier choices are subway (obviously) and taco bell. if you choose to eat fast food, you have to understand that it isnt going to be healthy....you have to put some effort into being healthy. if you want to eat things that are all-natural, then start cooking for yourself.

^THIS^ It's all about choices people. Eat McDonalds if you want to get fat. If you don't, don't eat it. simples!

I eat McDonald's when I want to lose body fat. Crazy!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumblr and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

tumblr_m1qiwvLwgP1rsif13o1_500.jpg

Wow. Those prices on the "healthy" items must be from the 1980's here. I priced everything on that page at Walmart and the cost is double what is posted there. Oh, and here in SE Texas, Walmart Supercenter is the cheapest for groceries.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I eat McDonald's when I want to lose body fat. Crazy!

How long have you been at it?
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 lbs eating whatever I want, including McDonald's. I make my own choices, and usually they are better choices, but I do occasionally eat some things that I don't want to comprise 100% of my diet.

I think that's what being an omnivore is all about. I exercise and I eat healthy 75 to 95% of the time. Seems to be working just fine for me.

Love your ticker....."puny god" favorite line for me. :laugh: And I totally agree with what you said above and congrats on your loss!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumblr and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

Wow. Those prices on the "healthy" items must be from the 1980's here. I priced everything on that page at Walmart and the cost is double what is posted there. Oh, and here in SE Texas, Walmart Supercenter is the cheapest for groceries.
    Hmmm...16 oz. of cashews (Great Value) that I just purchased last week, price on my receipt dated 4/11/2013 was $8.49. I think I would check those prices again!!!!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

That's the way to do it! Congrats man. :)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    People are ultimately responsible for the food choices they make. However, it's important to consider the things that influence our choices, whether those choices are fully informed, and how food companies manipulate us to get us to make choices in their favor.

Both parties are equally responsible, consumerism is a two way street.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

Depends where you are I can get all that for that price...varies on each item but ultimately adds up to be the same across the board.

EDIT: and also with a coupon or 2 and walmarts match price thingy you can def get that for what it says.