Calling out all of you IIFYM Preachers

Options
DatMurse
DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
You need to stop preaching the whole bull**** about it doesnt matter about what food you eat.
I have followed IIFYM for a long time, before it became a big fad,(no hipster)
IT should be IIFYMAM! If it fits your macros and micronutrients!
It does matter, you do need to hit the MICRONUTRIENT targets regardless.
You cannot obtain all of it from a multivitamin

You are drifting from the original point of IIFYM. it allows moderation and is sustainable. It wasnt meant for you to eat mcdonalds everyday and throw in a protein shake to hit your daily amounts.

Another factor is for those who are cutting. They food that is chosen for the paleo diet is the most ideal food for helping you diet due to the satiety.

There is some truth behind paleo diet. Regardless if I think eliminating food groups from your diet is not a way to live.

Meat and potatoes will always be superb due to the fulfilling of calorie for calorie. I am still waiting for more satiety studies to be published.

its like comparing a bagel to a donut. both of it provides a crap fullness but 1 bagel is much more filling than a donut, which is about the same calories.
you would have to eat about 1.5 donuts to get the filling that 1 bagel would provide you. so you would be consuming 2x the calories.

Dont get me wrong. Calories will determine if we lose weight or not. That is not the only key player in sustaining a cut though. Hunger plays a huge role.

You are destroying the IIFYM name and original cause. You need to understand that moderation is the key for everything and you are no better than all of the other diet extremists.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You need to stop preaching the whole bull**** about it doesnt matter about what food you eat.

You are drifting from the original point of IIFYM. it allows moderation and is sustainable. It wasnt meant for you to eat mcdonalds everyday and throw in a protein shake to hit your daily amounts.

Another factor is for those who are cutting. They food that is chosen for the paleo diet is the most ideal food for helping you diet due to the satiety.

There is some truth behind paleo diet. Regardless if I think eliminating food groups from your diet is not a way to live.

Meat and potatoes will always be superb due to the fulfilling of calorie for calorie. I am still waiting for more satiety studies to be published.

its like comparing a bagel to a donut. both of it provides a crap fullness but 1 bagel is much more filling than a donut, which is about the same calories.
    you would have to eat about 1.5 donuts to get the filling that 1 bagel would provide you. so you would be consuming 2x the calories.

Dont get me wrong. Calories will determine if we lose weight or not. That is not the only key player in sustaining a cut though. Hunger plays a huge role.

You are destroying the IIFYM name and original cause. You need to understand that moderation is the key for everything and you are no better than all of the other diet extremists.

A typical bagel has about 300 calories with 60g carbs, 7g sugar, and 4g fat.
    A typical donut has about 260 calories with 30g carbs, 12g sugar, and 14g fat.

So they're not quite the same thing.

Anyway, you talk about satiety. The point of IIFYM isn't to eat anything you can find until it fits your macros and you starve the rest of the time. The point is to eat foods that you want to eat, that satisfy your hunger and other desires, as long as they fit in.

That's the whole point. That people can pick their own foods based on taste, hunger, cravings, etc. So it's silly to pretend that IIFYM is stupid because some foods leave you hungry. If you're doing IIFYM and the foods you're eating are fitting your macros but leaving you hungry, you're doing it wrong.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    what is IIFYM???
  • DatMurse
    Options

A typical bagel has about 300 calories with 60g carbs, 7g sugar, and 4g fat.
    A typical donut has about 260 calories with 30g carbs, 12g sugar, and 14g fat.

So they're not quite the same thing.

Anyway, you talk about satiety. The point of IIFYM isn't to eat anything you can find until it fits your macros and you starve the rest of the time. The point is to eat foods that you want to eat, that satisfy your hunger and other desires, as long as they fit in.

That's the whole point. That people can pick their own foods based on taste, hunger, cravings, etc. So it's silly to pretend that IIFYM is stupid because some foods leave you hungry. If you're doing IIFYM and the foods you're eating are fitting your macros but leaving you hungry, you're doing it wrong.

I wasnt getting specific for bagel to donut.
    I was just saying comparing the fullness and the calories that come with it.
    It wasnt meant to get technical.

I said I practice IIFYM, but the problem is too many people are ignoring micronutrient dense foods.

You know how IIFYM is supposed to work. The thing is all of these other people promoting garbage.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    what is IIFYM???

If It Fits Your Macros. The idea is to set macro goals - typically calories, protein, fat, carbs, fiber - and to eat pretty much whatever you want to achieve those goals every day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    First I was like... acronyms? Oh noes!

Then I was like, holy ****, dudebro is right.

Now I just want to see the fall out.

83670.original.jpg?fm=jpg&q=65&sharp=15&vib=10&w=521&h=521&fit=crop
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    "I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

Dr. Layne Norton
  • DatMurse
    Options
    "I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

Dr. Layne Norton

Thats what his rant was about. "Clean" vs "IIFYM"

Saying neither were truly right. Have to meet it mid-way
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Eating McD's every day would be really hard to fit macros. I would basically have to mainline proteins the rest of the time.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    again - what does this specifically stand for and where can I find more info? quite new to MFP - thanks
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I don't know which people you are referring, but most flexible dieters I've encountered understand the difference between a diet filled with crap versus one consisting of mostly nutritious foods then allowing for 10-15% discretionary calories.

The people I see getting this wrong the most are the ones who are actually against it and try to take it to the extreme, as your example implies, and make it out to be something it's not.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Dr. Layne Norton

I bolded a different part.

That's the entire idea: if you're actually meeting appropriate macro goals, then you're doing what you're supposed to be doing. That's basically the beginning and the end. It's possible to do IIFYM in a way that leaves you hungry, but that's stupid. It's possible to do IIFYM in a way that leaves you malnourished, but it's incredibly difficult and you almost have to specifically try to do that.

If you're meeting your macro goals, then you're doing well. That's what Layne is saying and that's the entire point of IIFYM.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    what is IIFYM???

If It Fits Your Macros. The idea is to set macro goals - typically calories, protein, fat, carbs, fiber - and to eat pretty much whatever you want to achieve those goals every day.

"If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods."

- Dr. Layne Norton
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Agree and disagree.

Nutrients obviously play a huge part in health, but you have to bear in mind that some people can't just jump straight on the 'get healthy' bandwagon and eat 100% healthy foods. Sometimes it takes a little time.

Too many people go straight to a fad diet or a meal plan, and get told they can't eat this, and they can't eat that. You say moderation is the key, yet you are missing the point that IIFYM is all about moderation. It's telling people that yes, you can have that McDonalds, but only x amount of calories worth.

The idea (hopefully), is that further down the line, said McDonalds eater realises that it's not filling them up, and starts to try healthier options. That's what happened to me.

At the end of the day, if someone is making changes in an attempt to lose weight and get healthier, than bravo to them regardless of whether that means a McDonalds every day.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Thought
    IIFYM has ruined the nutrition section.
    Not because of the concept but because of the misunderstanding, misinformation and misuse

Dont know how many times I have seen, "just hit your macros and eat whatever you want"
    "food choice/quality makes no difference"
    "a carb is a carb"
    :any fat is fine as long as its not trans"
    All of these statements need qualifiers.

And just saying to take an 80-20 approach does not work either.
    What is one person's percetion of a nutritious food, is not the same as someone else's.
    Oatmeal vs oat bran vs All-bran cereal vs Cheerios vs Honey bunches of oats vs chocolate cheerios vs cocoa puffs vs a fudge poptart vs a chocolate frosted donut
    Where do you draw your line?

What about they guy in a 20% deficit vs 20% surplus?
    One has far more room for discretionary eating.

And just because you arent eating more than 20% crap doesnt mean you are getting a good nutrional foundation.
    Claiming to get your vitamins throug a multi rather than fruit/veg/etc, getting all you fat from one source,

But the worst offense is telling people with crappy nutritional backgrounds who are trying to clean up their diet, that they dont need to as long as macros are hit. The likelihood that they will keep hitting macros if they dont clean up their diet is low if they dont make big changes.

Note: I am a HUGE Layne fan and agree with most everything he says.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151503243&page=1

check this thread out jonny
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Eating McD's every day would be really hard to fit macros. I would basically have to mainline proteins the rest of the time.

It's not. Not even remotely.

A grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo) or grilled chicken salad with Newman's Own dressing from McD's is 300 calories with 30 grams of protein.

Look at my diary. I eat fast food all the time. But I don't typically eat double quarter pounders with cheese or Big Macs. I make smart choices that fit into my macro goals for the day.

That's the entire point: eat whatever you want, but just make smart choices and make sure they fit your macro goals for the day.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    what is IIFYM???

"If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods."

- Dr. Layne Norton

I'm following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition. If you agree with this quote, then you are saying I eat a lot of clean foods.

You obviously disagree with this quote. You disagree with it strongly. You think that a piece of chicken from McDonald's that has identical macronutrient content to a piece of chicken you cook at home are very different in terms of health. You think one is clean and the other is not.

You keep pasting that quote, but you strongly, strongly disagree with it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    what is IIFYM???

- Dr. Layne Norton

I'm following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition. If you agree with this quote, then you are saying I eat a lot of clean foods.

You obviously disagree with this quote. You disagree with it strongly. You think that a piece of chicken from McDonald's that has identical macronutrient content to a piece of chicken you cook at home are very different in terms of health. You think one is clean and the other is not.

You keep pasting that quote, but you strongly, strongly disagree with it.

i strongly agree with it actually. he's not saying that fast food is clean, no matter what you want to believe.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, if someone is making changes in an attempt to lose weight and get healthier, than bravo to them regardless of whether that means a McDonalds every day.
    No.

Eating at McDonald's daily means that they aren't trying to lose weight and get healthier. They're trying slow suicide.