Calling out all of you IIFYM Preachers

Options

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You need to stop preaching the whole bull**** about it doesnt matter about what food you eat.
    I have followed IIFYM for a long time, before it became a big fad,(no hipster)
    IT should be IIFYMAM! If it fits your macros and micronutrients!
    It does matter, you do need to hit the MICRONUTRIENT targets regardless.
    You cannot obtain all of it from a multivitamin

You are drifting from the original point of IIFYM. it allows moderation and is sustainable. It wasnt meant for you to eat mcdonalds everyday and throw in a protein shake to hit your daily amounts.

Another factor is for those who are cutting. They food that is chosen for the paleo diet is the most ideal food for helping you diet due to the satiety.

There is some truth behind paleo diet. Regardless if I think eliminating food groups from your diet is not a way to live.

Meat and potatoes will always be superb due to the fulfilling of calorie for calorie. I am still waiting for more satiety studies to be published.

its like comparing a bagel to a donut. both of it provides a crap fullness but 1 bagel is much more filling than a donut, which is about the same calories.
    you would have to eat about 1.5 donuts to get the filling that 1 bagel would provide you. so you would be consuming 2x the calories.

Dont get me wrong. Calories will determine if we lose weight or not. That is not the only key player in sustaining a cut though. Hunger plays a huge role.

You are destroying the IIFYM name and original cause. You need to understand that moderation is the key for everything and you are no better than all of the other diet extremists.

Who pissed on your Cheerios?
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    I'm enlightened.... I've NEVER seen this thread before....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, if someone is making changes in an attempt to lose weight and get healthier, than bravo to them regardless of whether that means a McDonalds every day.
    No.

Eating at McDonald's daily means that they aren't trying to lose weight and get healthier. They're trying slow suicide.

Erm, no. I am trying to lose weight and get healthIER. I still eat at McDonald's daily. McDonald's is not the devil. I think I make healthIER choices at McDonald's compared to what I ate before (i.e. an egg mcmuffin vs a sausage mcmuffin, side salad or yogurt parfait instead of fries or hashbrowns). I work out 6 days a week now, which is up from 0 days a week before. I eat at least 2 veggies and fruits per day (which may not sound like lot to you) which is up from 0 before. How are my changes not healthIER, regardless of the fact that I still eat at McDonald's?

Looks like their marketing really got their hooks into you.

Healthier doesn't really mean anything. It means one less M&M today than you ate yesterday. There's a lot of places I could poke holes, but I'm not going to. It's on you to find out. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    Who pissed on your Cheerios?

Probably wouldnt have cheerios as it wouldnt be as filling or as micro dense as the same calories in oatmeal. /trollface
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Should have just titled this thread "*kitten* that love to argue in here!!!"
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    You are NOT the boss of me!!!!:angry:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lwxswadR6N1qlfwzk.gif
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I eat cheeseburgers in the shower to make sure it's clean food.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Should have just titled this thread "*kitten* that love to argue in here!!!"

WOAH! BRO calm down! Go drink your protein shake! You just worked out, you need it before the window closes!!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In for more shenanigans
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    This post is kind of all over the place.

i know, right? I'm not entirely sure who's fighting, but I'm enjoying myself.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Why worry so much about what other people are doing? And better yet, why do you feel a need to label the way you eat by saying that you "Do IIFYM" or "Paleo" or "clean" or any of that? Just eat what you personally feel like eating and let others do the same. Who cares if someone else isn't eating the way that YOU think they should be eating based on a silly description?

I could say that I also do IIFYM or that I eat 95% "clean" unprocessed foods, blah blah blah... but it's unnecessary and exhausting to try to fit into a box like that. Heaven forbid that I say I eat "clean" and then I decide one day on a whim to have a Coke Zero because I'm really in the mood for one. Oh no! My whole identity is wrapped up in my dietary doctrine and now I'm not longer a true "clean eater"!

I'm being a bit facetious but you see my point; labels are silly, and worrying about OTHER people's dietary labels and whether or not they give something a 'bad name' is just a waste of your energy, don't you think? You didn't invent the term "IIFYM" so I don't see why you have such a personal sense of pride regarding the subject.
    Because I was there when it started fully emerging.
    It is the fact people are spreading false information and making it sound like micronutrient intake does not matter at all.
    what label are you actually talking about?

Micronutrient intake is a key factor in people's health.
    There are also factors that play a role including heavy metals, phytochemicals. antioxidants, etc

but to state that the food doesnt matter is a little extreme
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods."

- Dr. Layne Norton

I'm following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition. If you agree with this quote, then you are saying I eat a lot of clean foods.

You obviously disagree with this quote. You disagree with it strongly. You think that a piece of chicken from McDonald's that has identical macronutrient content to a piece of chicken you cook at home are very different in terms of health. You think one is clean and the other is not.

You keep pasting that quote, but you strongly, strongly disagree with it.

i strongly agree with it actually. he's not saying that fast food is clean, no matter what you want to believe.

I eat a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition.

Do you believe I eat a lot of clean foods?

nopers

Maybe you should read the quote again, then. Because you just said you disagree with it.

"If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods."

Either you believe:

1) I am not following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition, or
    2) I am eating a lot of clean foods

It's one or the other. The quote, which you've posted all over MFP, directly says that if you are hitting good macro targets, you are eating a lot of clean food.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Why worry so much about what other people are doing? And better yet, why do you feel a need to label the way you eat by saying that you "Do IIFYM" or "Paleo" or "clean" or any of that? Just eat what you personally feel like eating and let others do the same. Who cares if someone else isn't eating the way that YOU think they should be eating based on a silly description?

I could say that I also do IIFYM or that I eat 95% "clean" unprocessed foods, blah blah blah... but it's unnecessary and exhausting to try to fit into a box like that. Heaven forbid that I say I eat "clean" and then I decide one day on a whim to have a Coke Zero because I'm really in the mood for one. Oh no! My whole identity is wrapped up in my dietary doctrine and now I'm not longer a true "clean eater"!

I'm being a bit facetious but you see my point; labels are silly, and worrying about OTHER people's dietary labels and whether or not they give something a 'bad name' is just a waste of your energy, don't you think? You didn't invent the term "IIFYM" so I don't see why you have such a personal sense of pride regarding the subject.

Very well put.

so then stop giving advice if you think that was very well put. ;)

You're the one who harps about labels like "clean."

I talk about nutrients. Those are the things that are actually important.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, if someone is making changes in an attempt to lose weight and get healthier, than bravo to them regardless of whether that means a McDonalds every day.
    No.

Eating at McDonald's daily means that they aren't trying to lose weight and get healthier. They're trying slow suicide.

Salad with grilled chicken? :huh:

grilled chicken cooked in trans fats. :drinker:

and dosed with HFCS, and grown in the fetid conditions of a major industrial chicken plant. I'd invite anyone who loves their big macs and chicken mcnuggets to go check out those growing operations. Actually see how they treat the meat you eat. The heavy doses of antibiotics, hormones, the mediocre feed.

I find it amusing that so many will agonize over hitting their macros and other such targets, pay extra for fresh food, but pay no thought to how that food was raised and nourished.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Here for the entertainment of arguments.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I have followed IIFYM for a long time, before it became a big fad,(no hipster)

Dude, you're 26. LOL.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    this is why jonny is dangerous on this site...

Actually..this is why everyone arguing these stupid things are dangerous on the site.

People will do what they want to do, and call it whatever they want. So what. Anyone who cares enough to make a change for themselves will take it on to do their own research and hopefully not depend on the words written out by anyone on this site. Good grief.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

- Dr. Layne Norton

I'm following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition. If you agree with this quote, then you are saying I eat a lot of clean foods.

You obviously disagree with this quote. You disagree with it strongly. You think that a piece of chicken from McDonald's that has identical macronutrient content to a piece of chicken you cook at home are very different in terms of health. You think one is clean and the other is not.

You keep pasting that quote, but you strongly, strongly disagree with it.

i strongly agree with it actually. he's not saying that fast food is clean, no matter what you want to believe.

I eat a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition.

Do you believe I eat a lot of clean foods?

nopers

Maybe you should read the quote again, then. Because you just said you disagree with it.

Either you believe:

1) I am not following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition, or
    2) I am eating a lot of clean foods

It's one or the other. The quote, which you've posted all over MFP, directly says that if you are hitting good macro targets, you are eating a lot of clean food.

nah. it's 3)

i think HE believes that in order to hit your macros for friendly body comp, you will end up eating a lot of "clean" foods by default (ie: whole foods)

but keep twisting the words to make them apply to you. the reality is this. you wear fast food, fatty food, and high-sugar food as a badge of honor on your ticker. you're EXACTLY the person Layne Norton is referring to.

i'm done though. i'm bored. got a busy day.

and there was much rejoicing!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No.

Erm, no. I am trying to lose weight and get healthIER. I still eat at McDonald's daily. McDonald's is not the devil. I think I make healthIER choices at McDonald's compared to what I ate before (i.e. an egg mcmuffin vs a sausage mcmuffin, side salad or yogurt parfait instead of fries or hashbrowns). I work out 6 days a week now, which is up from 0 days a week before. I eat at least 2 veggies and fruits per day (which may not sound like lot to you) which is up from 0 before. How are my changes not healthIER, regardless of the fact that I still eat at McDonald's?

Looks like their marketing really got their hooks into you.

Healthier doesn't really mean anything. It means one less M&M today than you ate yesterday. There's a lot of places I could poke holes, but I'm not going to. It's on you to find out. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

Right...one less M&M today, 15 less by next week, M&M's only on occasion after a month. Isn't that was getting "healthier" is about? Making slow, sustainable, growing changes that will ultimately result in better health? How is it not healthier to make "better" food choices, regardless of the food source? Isn't it "healthier" to have grilled chicken than fried chicken, even if I make it at home? If I were to go 100% "clean" tomorrow, I might last a week before I would end up eating a whole bunch of crap. Gradually making small changes is what works for me, and many others. I didn't quit smoking cold turkey either. It has nothing to do with marketing. Or McDonald's. They just happen to be the closest, fastest place I can stop for coffee and breakfast in the morning.