Calling out all of you IIFYM Preachers

Options

Replies

• drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Sooooo if you want to be carved out of wood be OCD about your eating. If you want to be about average give or take do IIFYM. Sounds good to me.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Something to entertain me at work. Please do go on. :bigsmile:

strongly second this too :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    yesterday, I ate a pizza from Subway- and it fit in my macros

They serve pizza at Subway?

They do. They're not that bad. Nothing special, certainly.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Post may as well have been called "Calling out people who don't actually understand IIFYM". Anyone ignoring micronutrients or satiety is doing it wrong.

328.gif
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't know which people you are referring, but most flexible dieters I've encountered understand the difference between a diet filled with crap versus one consisting of mostly nutritious foods then allowing for 10-15% discretionary calories.

The people I see getting this wrong the most are the ones who are actually against it and try to take it to the extreme, as your example implies, and make it out to be something it's not.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    what is IIFYM???

If It Fits Your Macros. The idea is to set macro goals - typically calories, protein, fat, carbs, fiber - and to eat pretty much whatever you want to achieve those goals every day.

I am glad you asked..lol...I was like hu? I still don't get any of it..so I will stick to my calorie counting ways..

IIFYM has a structure for
    calculate caloric needs
    protein requirements based off of weight
    fat requirements based off of weight

the remaining calories are distributed to carbs(your preference), protein, and fats.

Fat has a physiological function and the body and thats why they focused on it.
    Protein helps prevent muscle loss and for its physiological function.
    People will distribute it into carbs, fats, or more protein depending on their level of physical activity.

My view on IIFYM is that if I have hit my protein target based on 1g per lb of LBM, and hit my fat target, and I still have calories left over, I can eat whetever I want to meet those calories, even if that means eating ice cream and pop tarts.

If I wanted to eat somthing like a Mcdonalds, I would log that first, and then plan the rest of the day around it, so that the protein and fat targets are still met.

(I don't actually eat McDonalds, that was just an example)
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    I frequently watch the wild animals that roam my backyard. I don't believe any of them have ever captured a fleeing McDonalds cheeseburger or sprinting Snickers bar. They don't seem riddled with disease or cancer and diabetes from eating naturally and are lean and strong. So I personally will choose to continue eating like them, but it is a personal choice.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    This is stupid..I have a 40/30/30 macro goal and I watch certain micros as well for health reasons...I cannot eat a bunch of junk food an meet my macro goals. However, I can eat a lot of nutritionally dense, whole foods and still have a piece of ****ing cake. Again..this is just stupid and I don't know why it comes up about once per week. Most people who do IIFYM eat pretty damned clean relative to the SAD. I don't know anyone who does IIFYM and just eats **** all the time.

Exactly though... thats the point. Alot of IIFYMers are actually eating "right" just like you.. and still having a piece of ****ing cake (pardon my french)... so why are so many promoting IIFYM as though its all cake and no good foods? Though I would disagree with the TONE of the OP... I agree with what he's trying to say.
  • mark525
    mark525 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You make a great point! Dude just needs to chill and let people make their own choice. What works for some might not work for others. so calm down bra and enjoy life! peace!
  • MirinSerratus
    MirinSerratus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You need to stop preaching the whole bull**** about it doesnt matter about what food you eat.
    I have followed IIFYM for a long time, before it became a big fad,(no hipster)
    IT should be IIFYMAM! If it fits your macros and micronutrients!
    It does matter, you do need to hit the MICRONUTRIENT targets regardless.
    You cannot obtain all of it from a multivitamin

You are drifting from the original point of IIFYM. it allows moderation and is sustainable. It wasnt meant for you to eat mcdonalds everyday and throw in a protein shake to hit your daily amounts.

Another factor is for those who are cutting. They food that is chosen for the paleo diet is the most ideal food for helping you diet due to the satiety.

There is some truth behind paleo diet. Regardless if I think eliminating food groups from your diet is not a way to live.

Meat and potatoes will always be superb due to the fulfilling of calorie for calorie. I am still waiting for more satiety studies to be published.

its like comparing a bagel to a donut. both of it provides a crap fullness but 1 bagel is much more filling than a donut, which is about the same calories.
    you would have to eat about 1.5 donuts to get the filling that 1 bagel would provide you. so you would be consuming 2x the calories.

Dont get me wrong. Calories will determine if we lose weight or not. That is not the only key player in sustaining a cut though. Hunger plays a huge role.

You are destroying the IIFYM name and original cause. You need to understand that moderation is the key for everything and you are no better than all of the other diet extremists.

in b4 mad broscientist dont fully understand IIFYM..macro and micro are of the same thing...i see the force is scrong with you...another twig preaching how to get big and healthy.
    Are you calling me a twig or the other people? I am lost

im saying ur an idiot
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Personally I think jonny and Reddi put on some boxing gloves with microphones and blindfolds and see who can sing, dance and box each other till a TKO happens.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
    :drinker:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    You need to stop preaching the whole bull**** about it doesnt matter about what food you eat.

You are drifting from the original point of IIFYM. it allows moderation and is sustainable. It wasnt meant for you to eat mcdonalds everyday and throw in a protein shake to hit your daily amounts.

Another factor is for those who are cutting. They food that is chosen for the paleo diet is the most ideal food for helping you diet due to the satiety.

There is some truth behind paleo diet. Regardless if I think eliminating food groups from your diet is not a way to live.

Meat and potatoes will always be superb due to the fulfilling of calorie for calorie. I am still waiting for more satiety studies to be published.

its like comparing a bagel to a donut. both of it provides a crap fullness but 1 bagel is much more filling than a donut, which is about the same calories.
    you would have to eat about 1.5 donuts to get the filling that 1 bagel would provide you. so you would be consuming 2x the calories.

Dont get me wrong. Calories will determine if we lose weight or not. That is not the only key player in sustaining a cut though. Hunger plays a huge role.

You are destroying the IIFYM name and original cause. You need to understand that moderation is the key for everything and you are no better than all of the other diet extremists.

in b4 mad broscientist dont fully understand IIFYM..macro and micro are of the same thing...i see the force is scrong with you...another twig preaching how to get big and healthy.

im saying ur an idiot
    This is coming from the guy who says micro and macro is the same thing?

go back to the misc

BTW you have to be the first person to call me a twig
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You people are silly. I'm with Julia Child's on this one. “...small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything."
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I frequently watch the wild animals that roam my backyard. I don't believe any of them have ever captured a fleeing McDonalds cheeseburger or sprinting Snickers bar. They don't seem riddled with disease or cancer and diabetes from eating naturally and are lean and strong. So I personally will choose to continue eating like them, but it is a personal choice.

My cats eat hairballs and mice. My dog used to eat poop. Squirrels eat raw acorns. Birds peck on dead rotting animals, and often eat cigarette butts.

No thanks.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with alot of this. IIFYM wouldn't get under my skin near as much as it does if the people who promoted it would admit that there is a diet change happening. Many act like they eat pizza and donuts all day every day, and belittle the people who are eating "cleaner." Or they get there feathers ruffled if you say that eating a whole food is better for you than eating Mickey D's. Come on... just be honest here.

I will. I eat probably 85% "clean" (working on getting better)... yesterday, I ate a pizza from Subway- and it fit in my macros... I can do this without feeling bad because its the exception.. not the rule.

THIS!! and, wait, your subway has PIZZA??!??! WT....?!
  • MirinSerratus
    MirinSerratus Posts: 30 Member
    Options

im saying ur an idiot
    This is coming from the guy who says micro and macro is the same thing?

go back to the misc

BTW you have to be the first person to call me a twig

learn nutrition and lift a weight before you take a shirtless pic. anyone that takes IIFYM seriously knows you count micro...welcome to nutrition i see you havent been here before.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    This is stupid..I have a 40/30/30 macro goal and I watch certain micros as well for health reasons...I cannot eat a bunch of junk food an meet my macro goals. However, I can eat a lot of nutritionally dense, whole foods and still have a piece of ****ing cake. Again..this is just stupid and I don't know why it comes up about once per week. Most people who do IIFYM eat pretty damned clean relative to the SAD. I don't know anyone who does IIFYM and just eats **** all the time.

Exactly though... thats the point. Alot of IIFYMers are actually eating "right" just like you.. and still having a piece of ****ing cake (pardon my french)... so why are so many promoting IIFYM as though its all cake and no good foods? Though I would disagree with the TONE of the OP... I agree with what he's trying to say.

Who exactly is saying it's all cake?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Who exactly is saying it's all cake?

No one says that. It's a straw man people set up to attack IIFYM.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I have to agree with alot of this. IIFYM wouldn't get under my skin near as much as it does if the people who promoted it would admit that there is a diet change happening. Many act like they eat pizza and donuts all day every day, and belittle the people who are eating "cleaner." Or they get there feathers ruffled if you say that eating a whole food is better for you than eating Mickey D's. Come on... just be honest here.

I will. I eat probably 85% "clean" (working on getting better)... yesterday, I ate a pizza from Subway- and it fit in my macros... I can do this without feeling bad because its the exception.. not the rule.

I don't think I see anyone doing that.

BTW if you could eat a pizza from Subway and fit it into your macros yesterday, you could do it every day if you wanted to ;)

That's the point! Don't be afraid of specific foods because someone tells you they're "unclean"!

LOL Come on! Your ticker alone does it! :)
    And I'm not afraid of foods that someone says is unclean... I listen to my body and know that pizza everday won't cut it. I feel awesome when I eat good foods... and sluggish at worse foods.