• evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    what is IIFYM???

Same question for me!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I do the IIFM "no Y"- If It Fits Me - Not sure what the point of this thread. Confused by the Can someone explain without being opinionated? Trying to get more insight! I know Reddi is actually trying to gain mass now and was willing to eat processed foods if that's what he had to do to do it. Does doing that negate IIFYM? Not trying to ridicule, just gathering so insight.

The entire idea of IIFYM is that your body cares about actual nutrients like protein, fats, and vitamins. It doesn't care whether someone on the internet considers the food "clean" or not.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Right...one less M&M today, 15 less by next week, M&M's only on occasion after a month.

Assuming consistency. Doing it that way is hellishly lazy and an indicator that the whole being healthier just isn't being taken seriously.

Oh sure, I ate terribly today, but you shoulda seen how bad I was yesterday! It's still eating crap, even if on paper it's marginally better crap compared to the previously preferred crap. Hey though, if eating that works for you, and you don't mind any lasting effects, then go for it. You aren't my kin, so I don't really care. Trying to call it healthy or healthi"er" is wrong though. It's eating to mediocrity.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I have to agree with alot of this. IIFYM wouldn't get under my skin near as much as it does if the people who promoted it would admit that there is a diet change happening. Many act like they eat pizza and donuts all day every day, and belittle the people who are eating "cleaner." Or they get there feathers ruffled if you say that eating a whole food is better for you than eating Mickey D's. Come on... just be honest here.

I will. I eat probably 85% "clean" (working on getting better)... yesterday, I ate a pizza from Subway- and it fit in my macros... I can do this without feeling bad because its the exception.. not the rule.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    You need to stop preaching the whole bull**** about it doesnt matter about what food you eat.
    I have followed IIFYM for a long time, before it became a big fad,(no hipster)
    IT should be IIFYMAM! If it fits your macros and micronutrients!
    It does matter, you do need to hit the MICRONUTRIENT targets regardless.
    You cannot obtain all of it from a multivitamin

You are drifting from the original point of IIFYM. it allows moderation and is sustainable. It wasnt meant for you to eat mcdonalds everyday and throw in a protein shake to hit your daily amounts.

Another factor is for those who are cutting. They food that is chosen for the paleo diet is the most ideal food for helping you diet due to the satiety.

There is some truth behind paleo diet. Regardless if I think eliminating food groups from your diet is not a way to live.

Meat and potatoes will always be superb due to the fulfilling of calorie for calorie. I am still waiting for more satiety studies to be published.

its like comparing a bagel to a donut. both of it provides a crap fullness but 1 bagel is much more filling than a donut, which is about the same calories.
    you would have to eat about 1.5 donuts to get the filling that 1 bagel would provide you. so you would be consuming 2x the calories.

Dont get me wrong. Calories will determine if we lose weight or not. That is not the only key player in sustaining a cut though. Hunger plays a huge role.

You are destroying the IIFYM name and original cause. You need to understand that moderation is the key for everything and you are no better than all of the other diet extremists.

in b4 mad broscientist dont fully understand IIFYM..macro and micro are of the same thing...i see the force is scrong with you...another twig preaching how to get big and healthy.
    Are you calling me a twig or the other people? I am lost
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with alot of this. IIFYM wouldn't get under my skin near as much as it does if the people who promoted it would admit that there is a diet change happening. Many act like they eat pizza and donuts all day every day, and belittle the people who are eating "cleaner." Or they get there feathers ruffled if you say that eating a whole food is better for you than eating Mickey D's. Come on... just be honest here.

I will. I eat probably 85% "clean" (working on getting better)... yesterday, I ate a pizza from Subway- and it fit in my macros... I can do this without feeling bad because its the exception.. not the rule.

I don't think I see anyone doing that.

BTW if you could eat a pizza from Subway and fit it into your macros yesterday, you could do it every day if you wanted to ;)

That's the point! Don't be afraid of specific foods because someone tells you they're "unclean"!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You need to stop preaching the whole bull**** about it doesnt matter about what food you eat.
    I have followed IIFYM for a long time, before it became a big fad,(no hipster)
    IT should be IIFYMAM! If it fits your macros and micronutrients!
    It does matter, you do need to hit the MICRONUTRIENT targets regardless.
    You cannot obtain all of it from a multivitamin

You are drifting from the original point of IIFYM. it allows moderation and is sustainable. It wasnt meant for you to eat mcdonalds everyday and throw in a protein shake to hit your daily amounts.

Another factor is for those who are cutting. They food that is chosen for the paleo diet is the most ideal food for helping you diet due to the satiety.

There is some truth behind paleo diet. Regardless if I think eliminating food groups from your diet is not a way to live.

Meat and potatoes will always be superb due to the fulfilling of calorie for calorie. I am still waiting for more satiety studies to be published.

its like comparing a bagel to a donut. both of it provides a crap fullness but 1 bagel is much more filling than a donut, which is about the same calories.
    you would have to eat about 1.5 donuts to get the filling that 1 bagel would provide you. so you would be consuming 2x the calories.

Dont get me wrong. Calories will determine if we lose weight or not. That is not the only key player in sustaining a cut though. Hunger plays a huge role.

You are destroying the IIFYM name and original cause. You need to understand that moderation is the key for everything and you are no better than all of the other diet extremists.

Agree and disagree.

Nutrients obviously play a huge part in health, but you have to bear in mind that some people can't just jump straight on the 'get healthy' bandwagon and eat 100% healthy foods. Sometimes it takes a little time.

Too many people go straight to a fad diet or a meal plan, and get told they can't eat this, and they can't eat that. You say moderation is the key, yet you are missing the point that IIFYM is all about moderation. It's telling people that yes, you can have that McDonalds, but only x amount of calories worth.

The idea (hopefully), is that further down the line, said McDonalds eater realises that it's not filling them up, and starts to try healthier options. That's what happened to me.

At the end of the day, if someone is making changes in an attempt to lose weight and get healthier, than bravo to them regardless of whether that means a McDonalds every day.
    Do you even know what I am talking about? I never mentioned eating 100% healthy foods.

I know you didn't, it was just just an example. Would you like me to change it to '80% healthy foods' and then maybe you could read the rest of my post and see what I was trying to say?

Sounds to me like you just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning tbh.
    Did I say anything about eating 100% healthy food?
    Did i say 20%?

I said moderation. I didnt put numbers. I didnt say clean food.

I am trying to understand what you said you disagreed about

Cut out the number completely then. I think you are picking at straws here.

I agree with the part about the nutrients. The part is disagreed with was the tone of your post, as though trying to suggest that people that do just eat a McDonalds every day aren't doing IIFYM correctly. I explained that this is a learning curve for everyone and many have to start with small changes - like eating a McDonalds a day, but less of it.

If you had taken the time to read my post rather than latch on to an insignificant number, you would have understood that.
    Maybe if you specified what you disagreed on we woudlnt be talking about this

I thought it was pretty obvious from my original post, but hey ho. I'll explain everything in layman's terms from now on, just for you. :laugh:
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I do the IIFM "no Y"- If It Fits Me - Not sure what the point of this thread. Confused by the Can someone explain without being opinionated? Trying to get more insight! I know Reddi is actually trying to gain mass now and was willing to eat processed foods if that's what he had to do to do it. Does doing that negate IIFYM? Not trying to ridicule, just gathering so insight.

The entire idea of IIFYM is that your body cares about actual nutrients like protein, fats, and vitamins. It doesn't care whether someone on the internet considers the food "clean" or not.

This

Your body doesnt differentiate the energy of protein carbs, or fats. They are same across the board(except for medium chained triglycerides, MCT)

This is the basic concept.
    There is more science involved but there is no reason for the average person to know or even get into a deeper discussion.
    Now there are some studies that talk about the absorption of micronutrients is better from the fruit source rather than fortification/multivitamin
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thats what his rant was about. "Clean" vs "IIFYM"

Saying neither were truly right. Have to meet it mid-way
    [/quote]

So following an 80/20 regimen would fall into that description right?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I wont give myself a stroke. I am simply burning time. I type like an *kitten*, but for some reason that is part of my online persona. I am not like this in person.

I cant say the same for some people such as lyle mcdonald, who is one of my favorite nutritionists. I am letting you know now I am not actually mad.

Hahaha, excellent. You could do what I'm doing, take up boxing so you can more safely act like an *kitten* in person. ;)

JHC, this thread has a McDonald's ad on top of it. Not happy to be advertised in the thread, it's being advertised on top of the thread!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    OP.
    Here, you'll feel better.

double_cheeseburger_egg_bacon.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSx0_rOv1MfdRwN48leTdmj7mhQRD3ahllKw-ott7En-wLoCCWaXg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn5Y2oQyVZ5L_2_1jwjrtVbZAnpINA6kJiCFkRcuS4QBn0pdmG
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Right...one less M&M today, 15 less by next week, M&M's only on occasion after a month.

Assuming consistency. Doing it that way is hellishly lazy and an indicator that the whole being healthier just isn't being taken seriously.

Oh sure, I ate terribly today, but you shoulda seen how bad I was yesterday! It's still eating crap, even if on paper it's marginally better crap compared to the previously preferred crap. Hey though, if eating that works for you, and you don't mind any lasting effects, then go for it. You aren't my kin, so I don't really care. Trying to call it healthy or healthi"er" is wrong though. It's eating to mediocrity.

Lol.

Seriously though, slowly changing habits is the most effective method for some people. Sometimes, change is slow.

Sorry that doesn't meet your standards.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm in the extremist group: IIWFM (If It Works For Me) :-p
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    OP.
    Here, you'll feel better.

double_cheeseburger_egg_bacon.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSx0_rOv1MfdRwN48leTdmj7mhQRD3ahllKw-ott7En-wLoCCWaXg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn5Y2oQyVZ5L_2_1jwjrtVbZAnpINA6kJiCFkRcuS4QBn0pdmG

Kitten FTW!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Why worry so much about what other people are doing? And better yet, why do you feel a need to label the way you eat by saying that you "Do IIFYM" or "Paleo" or "clean" or any of that? Just eat what you personally feel like eating and let others do the same. Who cares if someone else isn't eating the way that YOU think they should be eating based on a silly description?

I could say that I also do IIFYM or that I eat 95% "clean" unprocessed foods, blah blah blah... but it's unnecessary and exhausting to try to fit into a box like that. Heaven forbid that I say I eat "clean" and then I decide one day on a whim to have a Coke Zero because I'm really in the mood for one. Oh no! My whole identity is wrapped up in my dietary doctrine and now I'm not longer a true "clean eater"!

I'm being a bit facetious but you see my point; labels are silly, and worrying about OTHER people's dietary labels and whether or not they give something a 'bad name' is just a waste of your energy, don't you think? You didn't invent the term "IIFYM" so I don't see why you have such a personal sense of pride regarding the subject.

DONE AND DONE - this post should have ended right here!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Ummm....that's what pretty much every IIFYM person does. Seriously...I've never seen posts with IIFYM people saying eat nothing but **** all day. I do see posts saying, if you've been a good little boy or girl and are craving a doughnut...then have a friggin' doughnut and stop stressing yourself.

Take a look at my diary. Doesn't look too shabby does it? I have 400 + calories left today and I need to up my carbs, so I'm having a slice of my wife's orange jello cake tonight....OMG!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I wont give myself a stroke. I am simply burning time. I type like an *kitten*, but for some reason that is part of my online persona. I am not like this in person.

I cant say the same for some people such as lyle mcdonald, who is one of my favorite nutritionists. I am letting you know now I am not actually mad.

Hahaha, excellent. You could do what I'm doing, take up boxing so you can more safely act like an *kitten* in person. ;)

JHC, this thread has a McDonald's ad on top of it. Not happy to be advertised in the thread, it's being advertised on top of the thread!

Ads are based off of your internet browsing history. You're on a page that is mentioning McDonalds. Therefore you are getting ads about McDonalds.

I checked my online banking earlier. I'm getting an ad for my bank.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    yesterday, I ate a pizza from Subway- and it fit in my macros

They serve pizza at Subway?
  • DatMurse
    Options

I don't think I see anyone doing that.

BTW if you could eat a pizza from Subway and fit it into your macros yesterday, you could do it every day if you wanted to ;)

That's the point! Don't be afraid of specific foods because someone tells you they're "unclean"!

agreed

now i can understand about being cautious with food from fast food joints. heavy metals, chemicals, carcinogens, nitrates, etc

but to label food itself such as pizza or burgers as bad is wrong.
    its ground beef bread and cheese. wtf

I DONT SAY CLEAN OR UNCLEAN BUT I AM USING THE TERMINOLOGY
    Spaghetti=clean
    pizza=unclean

Example
    Pizza=
    bread
    tomato sauce
    cheese
    meat

Spaghetti=
    pasta
    tomato sauce
    cheese
    ground beef.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For all of you who keep asking. Please read closely. IIFYM is an abbreviation for "If It Fits Your Macros." This is another approach to reaching your goals. The rest of this thread seems to be doing a pretty good job of explaining the basics.